Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

▼▲ Formerly Fogbow - the old forum, reborn

You never know, something important could happen.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: ▼▲ Formerly Fogbow - the old forum, reborn

Post by Foggy »

Well, I don't think it will cause too many problems. To get the error, you'd have to:

1) be reading a post on Formerly Fogbow, and within that post is a link to another post on Formerly Fogbow, and then

2) click on the link, expecting to go to the second post on Formerly Fogbow, but it takes you to this forum instead.

If I understand it.

I think that will be relatively rare, and your fix will work perfectly.

And as you remember, there are literally thousands of posts in Formerly Fogbow that are way more messed up than that, after the misadventure of converting to different software and then back to phpBB again. To be honest, that database is a freakin' dumpster fire, and while I am happy I found a (mostly complete) copy of the old database, I am more than willing to leave it untouched as an archive going forward, because it was a pain in the ass to work with the damned thing.

And when this forum gets anywhere near a million posts, I'll have two archives and we can all use Fogbow Three, or maybe Fogbow the Thirteenth, with me as Freddy Krueger, if I have the cultural reference right (probably not :blackeye: ).
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Freddy was from Wes Craven's A Nightmare on Elm Street, but you are totally on point with your cultural references and on the cutting edge with the outstanding programs featured here at The Fogbow. :P Remember, it's 8:05 pm Eastern... you know what's on at 10:30 pm at https://ustvgo.tv/we-tv/... until then, you've expressed a lot of interest in Love After Lockup, it's on right now. And from 9-10:30 pm (yes, it's a 90-minute show) another Love After Lockup is on. But 10:30 pm is the Universe Shattering program.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

northland10 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:06 pm
Foggy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:36 pm Oh, I get it now. I think. :?

You're saying pre-existing links that are within posts on Formerly Fogbow point to this forum now, when they originally pointed to other posts on what is now Formerly, and I agree, and that's unavoidable. After copy/pasta, those are 'hard coded' into the posts now.

I would have to go through and hard-code them to stay where they are, or something else too drastic to be a fix. Just stick the 'formerly.' in there, you'll get better.
That's why I said it was not a request for you to change but to show others how to get the correct post from the "pre-existing" link. While simpler fields in a database could potentially be changed with a script, I don't even know if that would be possible with a BLOB. Even if it were, my mind spins out of control trying to figure out how that could be done without blowing lots of stuff up.
Actually this "should be easy"(tm).

1) Write a program that can select the old bow posts 1 by 1.
2) Loop through the database selecting each post in turn and correct the URL links in the text.
3) Write the corrected post to an empty database.
4) Take care to ensure that relational integrity is maintained.
5) done!

Um, by the way, if we had a 'hand waving emoji' I would have used it 5 times in the list above. I'll leave as an excercise for the student to figure out where.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
bob

Post by bob »

Foggy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:58 pm Yeah, I was shooting for that.
You were aiming for Bannon's poop can? :eek:
Image ImageImage
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

keith wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:19 am Actually this "should be easy"(tm).

2) Loop through the database selecting each post in turn and correct the URL links in the text.
5) done!
Edit: 6. (from bob) Throw the whole thing in Bannon’s poop can.
I'm on it!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

orlylicious wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:08 pm Freddy was from Wes Craven's A Nightmare on Elm Street ...
Oh, the horror of being culturally retarded challenged, we don't use that other word I used my whole life.

The pain, the ignominious pain, of knowing that I could have watched ALL of the Nightmare on Elm Street and Freddy Friday the Thirteenth movies, if'n I wasn't such a creepy cultural snob who can't even keep up with all the videos on my own website!

And ... OMG WTF BBQ! I missed watching the Tee Vee again last night! Woe, I tells ya, woe!

I'ma go drive to Wilmington and see if I can get Numbah Two Son moved into his new digs. :faint:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

When linking from the current forum to the new Oldbow the content opens in the same tab.

Discussion: I would like to see Oldbow open in a fresh tab, like any other foreign website. General feeling?

I guess this may be slightly tricky to resolve as both Bows operate on "thefogbow.com".
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, I saw that one.

I know just about enough PHP to be dangerous, but I will post on the page for the extension that opens the other links in new tabs, and let the author figure it out.
Edit: Done
Edit: The guy who wrote the extension is the author of several extensions, and a very professional coder, but like many who volunteer in an open source community, he works on it when it interests him. So we might have to put up with this, but you know how to open a link in a new tab.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:53 am
keith wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:19 am Actually this "should be easy"(tm).

5) done!
Edit: 6. (from bob) Throw the whole thing in Bannon’s poop can.
I'm on it!
Oh, gawd, I hope not.
:sarcastic:
And I hope you are too.

P.S. I wouldn't do this in PHP or even Delphi. COBOL is the only way to go here.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Wintermute
Verified:

Post by Wintermute »

Mr. Gneiss wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:26 am Thanks Foggy. We now have an archive of Orly-Toons. :thumbsup:

This one on Mar-a-Go-Go is hysterical....Orly-Toons by Estiveo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:09 pm
Does anybody know if Estivio is ok? I haven’t seen him post recently.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Wintermute wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:15 am
Mr. Gneiss wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:26 am Thanks Foggy. We now have an archive of Orly-Toons. :thumbsup:

This one on Mar-a-Go-Go is hysterical....Orly-Toons by Estiveo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:09 pm
He was last seen Aug. 16 on Twitter. Retweeted this:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:24 am

He was last seen Aug. 16 on Twitter. Retweeted this:
He replied to a Tweet 2 hours ago. I miss him here.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

In honor of the Former Fogbow being restored AND the anniversary of the first performance of this music, the current Fogbow brings you 1812 Overture, formerly known as The Year 1812, Solemn Overture, Op. 49 with cannons performed originally in 1882.

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Estiveo is on hiatus, as some of us do from time to time. He’ll be back when he’s all full of hiatus.
dan1100

Post by dan1100 »

I've been able to manually make every internal link on the formerly.thefogbow.com site by "right click-copy link" then paste into browser, then replace "www" with "formerly".

That seems pretty workable to me. YMMV.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I tweeted Estiveo that I restored the old Fogbow, so now he's obligated to return.
:waiting:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, here's a problem I'm struggling with - links to Formerly Fogbow on this site.
Formerly.jpg
Where is there room? :think:

Don't say "next to Board Index because that's a breadcrumbs thing, it changes when you navigate the site.

I may have to change Unread posts to simply Unread and Active Topics to just Active. :confuzzled:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

What are ACP and MCP? Those aren't on mine.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

I will go no further but to say I have DM'd him on a platform that isn't Fogbow and he is quite well.

Much to my relief, I like that dude.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:12 am What are ACP and MCP? Those aren't on mine.
Administration Control Panel and Moderator Control Panel.
bob

Post by bob »

Foggy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:06 amI may have to change Unread posts to simply Unread and Active Topics to just Active.
If straw is being polled, I concur with this.

I always use the Active Topics link. And never the Unread one; they're unread for a reason.
Image ImageImage
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

If straw is being polled, I don't concur. :think:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Well, I'm gonna try a thing or three, see what the reaction is. I won't mess it up too badly. :mrgreen:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bob wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:02 pm
Foggy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:06 amI may have to change Unread posts to simply Unread and Active Topics to just Active.
If straw is being polled, I concur with this.

I always use the Active Topics link. And never the Unread one; they're unread for a reason.
Bob, if I understand your comment, it sounds like you think the Unread topic shows just the threads you aren't reading - like just the stuff you skip over. It actually functions a bit like Active, in that it sorts out all the threads that have been posted to since you last read them, but rather than putting them first with the looong list of inactive threads following it, it shows ONLY the threads with new material. You can easily see how many threads you have to catch up on. For me, it makes trying to get caught up much less daunting than wondering how much new stuff there is to read. So I always use that instead of Active.

As far as I can tell, there's no way to get it to just show you the threads you're actively participating in or to tell it not to show you certain threads.

If you already knew that and I misunderstood you're meaning, please forgive me.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:33 pm As far as I can tell, there's no way to get it to just show you the threads you're actively participating in or to tell it not to show you certain threads.
I think that's what Your Posts is about - it shows only threads you have posted in, but it doesn't go to the last post, so you can catch up with what you missed in threads you care about, and then you can go to the Board Index page and click Mark Forums Read to dismiss anything you don't want to read.

I think that's how it works, but play around with it.

Return to “Announcements”