Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Somewhere Beyond The Sea - (Cruise Travel)

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:16 pm :bighug:

Hope you're all better soon!

(Also, I love the thread title. One of my favorite songs.)
Every time I see the topic, it triggers an earworm. And because I feel all earworms must be shared (sharing is caring)... Bobby Darin.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Viking Orion: hundreds of passengers stranded on cruise ship off South Australia due to ‘marine growth’
Ship hasn’t docked in a port since it cast off from Wellington in New Zealand on Boxing Day

Australian Associated Press
Sun 1 Jan 2023 05.25 GMT

Hundreds of passengers stranded on a cruise ship off South Australia are hoping to set foot on dry land for the first time in seven days after the vessel was unable to dock at several ports due to a “marine growth” – originally believed to be a form of fungus – in the ship’s hull.

The Viking Orion has not docked in a port since it cast off from Wellington in New Zealand on Boxing Day, according to ship tracking website VesselFinder.com.

The ship was reportedly denied permission to dock to have its hull cleaned in Christchurch, Dunedin and Hobart before setting course for Adelaide.

Before it could arrive there, Australia’s National Maritime Coordination Centre established that the ship had small amounts of biofoul – marine microorganisms, plants, algae, or small animals – on its hull.

Authorities then ordered the Viking Orion’s agent to have its hull cleaned before entering Australian waters.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... -australia
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Cruise passenger falls off balcony, dies after ship leaves Florida

https://www.texomashomepage.com/news/na ... 6uTfbqjWjk
A passenger died on a cruise ship departing Miami Sunday after falling off a balcony, according to reports.

The incident happened shortly after Virgin Voyages’ Valiant Lady left Miami en route to Roatan, Honduras on Sunday, a spokesperson told Insider.

In a statement, the company spokesperson said the passenger fell from their balcony and landed on another person on the lower deck.

According to Virgin Voyages, the first passenger died of their injuries but the second one was not seriously hurt.
This photo is not the Valiant Lady but her sister ship, the Scarlet Lady. A humongous floating city. Makes the Titanic look tiny. Makes the Love Boat look small.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

A TikTok video captured Carnival cruise passengers fishing from a balcony. They were banned for life.

Marielle Descalsota
Thu, April 20, 2023 at 10:38 AM GMT+2·
  • Carnival banned at least two passengers from sailing with them for life, per a Nexstar report.

The passengers were seen reeling in fish from the ocean in a TikTok video.

Several TikTok users were outraged with the rule-breaking behavior.
Carnival has banned at least two passengers from taking its cruises for life after they were caught fishing on board, reported news wire Nexstar on Wednesday.

According to the report, Carnival confirmed to Nexstar that the cruise line barred the passengers, following a TikTok video showing the passengers fishing from their room's balcony.

"Fishing from our ships is prohibited," a representative told Nexstar in an email, adding that Carnival has identified the passengers. Carnival did not elaborate on when the incident took place or confirm which cruise it occurred in.

The TikTok video, which has been deleted, showed one passenger reeling in a black-spotted green-colored fish over their room's balcony from the ocean. A man can be seen untangling the fish and placing it on the balcony's floor.

Several TikTok accounts have since uploaded copies of the video on the platform.

The video appeared to show the cruise ship docked at a port. According to a report by cruise news site Cruise Hive, the ship was docked in Nassau, Bahamas.

In the Bahamas, non-residents are required to obtain fishing permits. On Carnival cruises, passengers can fish without permits during and local authorities.

https://news.yahoo.com/tiktok-video-cap ... 30524.html
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Weird. I've seen lots of dos and don'ts about what to do or not do on cruises, but I've never seen that one.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I can envision the problems. Next thing a bunch of people are asking the cooks to prepare the cute fishie they caught, and getting obnoxious when they won't do it, because who knows what kind of fish it is anyway?

And sharks can be caught on a boat and then they spend a few minutes violently thrashing around and biting anything or anyone they can, which is a thing that can be anticipated and dealt with by professional fishermen, but would be really exciting in a small cabin with senior citizens enjoying the presence of a shark that is desperately flailing all over the cabin biting everybody.

After which, of course, the lawyers sue the cruise line for allowing fishing.

And like that ... :think:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Images of Royal Caribbean's massive new cruise ship, Icon of the Seas, are circulating online — and it's freaking people out

Jordan Parker Erb
Updated Mon, July 17, 2023 at 2:22 PM GMT+2
  • Royal Caribbean is months away from debuting the world's largest cruise ship: the Icon of the Seas.
    Renderings of the massive ship are recirculating online, and freaking out social media users.
    Some are calling the ship, which is five times bigger than the Titanic, a "monstrosity."
Six months before its maiden voyage, Royal Caribbean's massive new ship, the Icon of the Seas, is already generating quite the response.

The ship is reportedly five times bigger than the Titanic, boasting 20 decks, eight "neighborhoods," a miniature Central Park — and a veritable army of online haters.

Renderings of the vessel are making the rounds again on social media, following news late last month that it completed its first sea trials in the ocean.

Even though the cruise's inaugural trip is nearly sold out, pointing to a feverish demand for the whimsical new ship, there's an entire population of social media users who find the monstrous boat anxiety-inducing — especially in light of the Titan sub's fatal implosion last month.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ima ... 17494.html
(original: INSIDER)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I think Icon is too big but we sailed Allure in June. It was perfect.

We booked Harmony for next year.

We put it on lay away all year so we can afford it
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Too big for me. We are on Princess Discovery in two weeks, and that's too big for me (3,660 + crew). I like Viking (935). But no kids.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

look like th eauthorities had a tip
Cruise passengers smuggled 5 kg of cocaine into Miami, authorities say

Sofia Andrade, (c) 2023, The Washington Post
Fri, August 4, 2023 at 10:56 PM GMT+2

Two sisters allegedly smuggled close to 5 kilograms of cocaine in their luggage last month while taking a week-long cruise from Miami through Mexico and the Caribbean, a report from a federal investigator says.

According to a criminal complaint filed by a U.S. Department of Homeland Security special agent, the sisters had arrived in the Port of Miami on July 23 after traveling on an MSC Seascape cruise that began a week earlier.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers boarded the MSC cruise to conduct an "enforcement operation" after the ship arrived from Cozumel, Mexico, with stops in Grand Cayman, Jamaica and the Bahamas. After finding the two sisters in their shared cabin, CBP officers asked the women to bring their belongings to a "secondary inspection." The complaint does not specify the reason for that inspection.

When the sisters exited the cabin, the criminal complaint says, a drug dog law enforcement had brought on board "alerted to the odor of narcotics" in one of the sister's suitcases. After the sisters claimed ownership of their belongings via Customs declarations forms at the secondary inspection area, CBP officers separated and searched the women and their luggage.

According to court documents, Schneeka Parker and Takeia Herder have been charged with conspiracy to import a controlled substance and importation of a controlled substance. A sealed indictment was entered into the docket Thursday.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cruise- ... 13023.html
(original: WaPo)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My son and I took the two grandkids to the Alaska Inside Passage. It was a little strange as it was supposed to be my husband. I had some special gratuities that changed when he died, and it never did get completely cleared up, but not a really big deal. I had to explain the situation to one of the ship's officers, and he was very nice. He called to check on how I was doing and sent roses, so no real complaints. We were on Princess, so a big ship, but not a massive ship.

The kids had a wonderful time. Feeding them was not as easy as I had hoped, but they ate. The weather was pretty normal for the Inside Passage, some sun, some rain, comfortable temps. They got into the pool three times, so that was a win for them. The scenery is lovely, and they enjoyed the train ride out of Skagway.

I had an invitation to the Captain's cocktail party, and that felt very strange without him. I think it's the first social event I've had to do without him. I did okay, and realized for the first time how many single women there are at those events. I sat down and was joined by another woman within minutes. A last-minute emergency had kept her husband home in Idaho.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Andy ... :bighug: ❤️
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

:bighug:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Heading out tomorrow for a Viking River Cruise. We were notified today that because of the low water levels on the Danube, we’ll board the ship downstream from Budapest.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Very nice! Which cruise, if you don't mind saying? Budapest is a starting point for several cruises. We did the Grand European, Budapest to Amsterdam. You will love it.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:21 pm Very nice! Which cruise, if you don't mind saying? Budapest is a starting point for several cruises. We did the Grand European, Budapest to Amsterdam. You will love it.
Grand European. We’re really looking forward to it.

But it’s bitter-sweet. My sister, who is only a year older than me, was diagnosed several years ago with early-onset Alzheimer’s. She was in a clinical trial for a drug that has since been approved, and it seems to be working to slow the progression (it won’t stop it). But she told us she has a number of things she wants to do while she’s still with it enough to enjoy them, and this cruise is one of those things.

We’ll have a good time, but even with the bi-weekly treatments she struggles with imprinting new memories, and it’s difficult to navigate at times. If there is an up-side, she’s better at accessing old memories than I am, and she reminds me of things I hadn’t thought about in years. And she has a wonderful sense of humor, so the old stuff she brings up is usually pretty hilarious.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:54 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:21 pm Very nice! Which cruise, if you don't mind saying? Budapest is a starting point for several cruises. We did the Grand European, Budapest to Amsterdam. You will love it.
Grand European. We’re really looking forward to it.

But it’s bitter-sweet. My sister, who is only a year older than me, was diagnosed several years ago with early-onset Alzheimer’s. She was in a clinical trial for a drug that has since been approved, and it seems to be working to slow the progression (it won’t stop it). But she told us she has a number of things she wants to do while she’s still with it enough to enjoy them, and this cruise is one of those things.

We’ll have a good time, but even with the bi-weekly treatments she struggles with imprinting new memories, and it’s difficult to navigate at times. If there is an up-side, she’s better at accessing old memories than I am, and she reminds me of things I hadn’t thought about in years. And she has a wonderful sense of humor, so the old stuff she brings up is usually pretty hilarious.
I hope you all have a wonderful time.

Water levels seem to becoming more of an issue these days. We had to change ships once on our trip, in Passau. It wasn't fun, but they make it as easy as they can. It's a beautiful trip. Bon voyage!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Have a great time, and treasure your time with your sister. I hope I never lose the memories I have of ol' Wifehorn's parents when they both had Alzheimer's. I wish I could talk to them today. I found a paper my father-in-law wrote about the malleable iron industry. That's still a major industry with strong national security overtones, and I have questions.

I wish I had asked him more than I did about that and a million other things. As much as I love my dad, my father-in-law was a hell of an impressive guy, too also. President of an aluminum manufacturing company, he was a metallurgical engineer from Ohio State.

We're starting to settle on a trip to Europe in the spring. Only question is, when do I fit in my second knee replacement surgery.

Good luck, have a wonderful time, and stay in touch if you can! :wave:
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:06 am
I hope you all have a wonderful time.

Water levels seem to becoming more of an issue these days. We had to change ships once on our trip, in Passau. It wasn't fun, but they make it as easy as they can. It's a beautiful trip. Bon voyage!
We got a notification yesterday that because of the water levels the ship can’t make it to Budapest and we’ll board about 60km away. They’ll pick us up at the airport and take us to the ship, then take us by bus the next day to Budapest for the day then back to the ship. We’ll also have to change in Passau.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

My friend took that Danube cruise. She loved Budapest!

We are going on a Viking Norway Northern Lights cruise with my brother and sister-in-law in February. This is the older brother who introduced me to Hubby. They are very close in spite of our marriage interfering with Hubby’s dating life. I describe him as a confirmed bachelor who has been happily married for 49 years. My brothers agree with that description.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm doing the Iceland and Norway's Arctic Explorer in May. It was originally planned for the two of us, of course, but we were traveling with a friend, so I am still going. There was a lot of angst over this. My husband wanted so badly to go to Svalbard; so did her husband. We feel like we are going for both of them.

But it will be our last Viking cruise. They do not do single supplements, except on a very rare basis. We could book together, but I'm a night owl, and she's very much a morning person. We plan to travel together, but we'll do a reasonable single supplement. She paid for her fare and for Jim (gone four years). I'm paying for myself and my husband, even though he recently died. There are a lot of wonderful things about Viking, but they can be very inflexible when it comes to the bottom line. Passenger care ends there. We had insurance, and I could have canceled the whole trip and gotten most of the money back, but I want to do the trip. Judy already paid double to travel on this trip with us. As it turned out, so am I. It's left a bad taste in both our mouths. If something happens to either of us, we've agreed to do the cruise alone anyway so as not to get sucked into their voucher program, which is a lot of the reason we were doing this one.

But both your trips will be extraordinary! On ocean, try the success cake at Mamsen's!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

You will love Iceland!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:09 pm You will love Iceland!
I already do. Been there twice. :thumbsup:

When it was the two of us, we were going to stay on, but I'm going into Bergen a few days early so I think that's long enough. I used to enjoy three-week trips, but they are getting too long for me, so I think I'll pass on staying on my own, but have time to decide. I'm going in early on my own as, if I did the pre-extension, I'd have to pay for my husband, too. :mad: This will be my seventh or eighth trip to Bergen, though, so I'm good with just going in, staying in Bryggen on my own, and doing my own thing. My friend will be there as she did the pre-extension.

Viking's wonderful. Except when it's not. :(

Return to “General Stuff”