Trump's Classified Docs Theft: Mar-A-Lago, FBI Subpoenas, Searches & Seizures - DOJ, Garland, GOP Madness - Spy Hard

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
John Thomas8

Trump's Classified Docs Theft: Mar-A-Lago, FBI Subpoenas, Searches & Seizures - DOJ, Garland, GOP Madness - Spy Hard

Post by John Thomas8 »

bob wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:34 pm
Foggy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:23 pmIf a motion relating to grand jury proceedings is under seal, I don't think that Trump's team learned about this motion until they read about it today in the Washington Post. And so I think the Department of Justice leaked this story today immediately following the revelation that Trump was not going to appeal the 11th circuit ruling.
Respectfully disagree.

If TFG (or one of his entities) is the target of the subpoena, and is the one being threatened by sanctions, then he too (also) knows what the court is doing in this very particular instance.

I would nominate this third source to be the leaker, for the sympathy (and the bucks).
No, walking off with classified documents isn't a mistake, it is a criminal act. No sources, no excuses, stealing the classified documents that trump did deserves immediate arrest. I don't care, this is so clear cut it makes the evidence against Dahmer look circumstantial.
bob

Post by bob »

John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:39 pm No, walking off with classified documents isn't a mistake, it is a criminal act. No sources, no excuses, stealing the classified documents that trump did deserves immediate arrest. I don't care, this is so clear cut it makes the evidence against Dahmer look circumstantial.
No one disagrees, and we were discussing who leaked.
Image ImageImage
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

bob wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:34 pm he too (also)
Hark! A phrase from the distant* past. :thumbsup:

_____
* Possibly even as far back as Politijab (where I was only a lurker)?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

bob wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:34 pm
Foggy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:23 pm... I think the Department of Justice leaked this story today immediately following the revelation that Trump was not going to appeal the 11th circuit ruling.
Respectfully disagree.

:snippity:

I would nominate this third source to be the leaker ...
I suppose that's possible, but if so, why?
... for the sympathy (and the bucks).
Nope. Nuh uh. You don't leak to the Washington Post for sympathy. :nope: I see no appeal for bucks yet. I think the story came as a surprise to Trump and his people.

So if you are correct about a third source, there has to be a better reason. :think:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Foggy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:48 pm
So if you are correct, there has to be a better reason. :think:
To keep pushing for the mutt to get frogmarched out with cuffs on in front of mass media.
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Post by Slarti the White »

Procedural question -- I thought that the 11th circuit sent the case back to Judge Loose Cannon to be dismissed yes/no?

I understand that, given her granting the DoJ motion to delay the special master deadlines by a week, that this is just pro-forma, but has the special master officially been dismissed yet?
bob

Post by bob »

Foggy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:48 pm You don't leak to the Washington Post for sympathy.
Yeah, but then FOX repackages the story for its audience. And bonus :kickface: to WaPo just cuz!

Slarti the White wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:52 pm Procedural question -- I thought that the 11th circuit sent the case back to Judge Loose Cannon to be dismissed yes/no?

I understand that, given her granting the DoJ motion to delay the special master deadlines by a week, that this is just pro-forma, but has the special master officially been dismissed yet?
Don't know, but doubtful as to "officially." It'll take a bit of time (for a clerk) to walk the mandate to the (clerk of the) judge, who has to (ask a clerk to) draft an order, etc.
Image ImageImage
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yes, it's over and Dearie is fired.

On today's story about a sealed motion to find the "office" of Trump in contempt, I suspect that the Washington Post is very, very carefully checking what they can regarding ANYTHING having to do with this story before they put anything online (didn't say 'in print'). I don't think they would go with something from anyone on Trump’s team that hasn't been publicly identified as one of his lawyers in this case.

And I think they would ask a lot of very tough questions before accepting the story.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:58 pm I was surprised to read they found anything, not that trump wasn't still hiding papers, just that anyone he hired would actually look.

Makes me wonder if they were afraid he'd stiff them.
I think they should have been more afraid of missing anything the FBI found after them. That would be awkward.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Gregg wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:15 pm I think they should have been more afraid of missing anything the FBI found after them. That would be awkward.
Let's hope the FBI gets a few more chances. :boxing:

Meanwhile, while, I mean, :? I never tire of speculation in a righteous cause of schadenfreude, but I feel that, as John LeCarre is fond of saying, it's time to do our sums.

At this point in time, what exactly has Trump bought with his $3 million payment to our anti-hero, Christopher Kise? What are the results that Kise the sooper lawyer has obtained for his client? Let's count, shall we?
  • Two perfectly nasty rulings by the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals, and they didn't hold back on describing exactly how much of a crook Trump is, and
  • His gurlfrend Aileen Cannon stomped and left in the dirt with her entire future career as a federal judge in tatters as an unmitigated hack, and
  • A new DOJ motion to hold Trump’s "office" (whatever the fuck that is) in contempt of court for not complying with the subpoena in June, and best of all,
  • the DOJ criminal investigation is totally free to proceed without legal hindrance or setbacks.
Good job, Chris. Maybe you can ask for a merit-based bonus, huh? :daydreaming:

:lol:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
bob

Post by bob »

Foggy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:28 pm
  • A new DOJ motion to hold Trump’s "office" (whatever the fuck that is) in contempt of court for not complying with the subpoena in June, and best of all,
You're welcome. :evil:

I would not be surprised if Patel, Solomon, and other such representatives were at least associated with this office.

• His gurlfrend Aileen Cannon stomped and left in the dirt with her entire future career as a federal judge in tatters as an unmitigated hack,
Well, until 2025. :cantlook:
Image ImageImage
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

bob wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:38 pm
Foggy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:28 pm
You're welcome. :evil:
Yeah, baby! That's what I'm talkin' about! :boxing:

That website is going to jail. Bastids thought they'd get away clean!

WHADDYA MEAN, YA CAN'T PUT A WEBSITE IN JAIL?
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

bob wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:38 pm I would not be surprised if Patel, Solomon, and other such representatives were at least associated with this office.
I'm pretty sure they just made coffee for the boss and stuff.

They didn't sign nuffin'! :nooo:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

bob wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 8:38 pm Well, until 2025. :cantlook:
OMFG, don't even think like that! :o Noooooooooo!
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

bob wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:56 pm
Foggy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:48 pm You don't leak to the Washington Post for sympathy.
Yeah, but then FOX repackages the story for its audience. And bonus :kickface: to WaPo just cuz!
emptywheel, not always reliable but extremely diligent, has argued persuasively that the recent WP/NYT articles about Trump's lawyers engaging an outside firm to search for government documents are in substantial part a fluff job by Trump's PR shop, designed to flood the news with the notion that Trump is being so-o-o-o cooperative.

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1 ... 320107520

Moreover, experienced PR people know that you're not going to get good stenography from the NYT & the WP unless you have a track record of supplying more or less real news scoops along with your self-serving narratives, especially the occasional slightly negative news tidbit that access "journalists" like Maggie Haberman (a second generation publicist for Trump's family) can use to pose as hard-hitting reporters without fear or favor :sick: :vomit: :shit: .

So it's completely plausible to me that Trump's people would leak the news that the government is seeking to hold him in contempt:

--it doesn't reveal anything that the government doesn't already know;

--it's an item that's likely to come out eventually;

--it's worth gold in the ongoing "Trump's the victim of the deep state and the Communists" campaign;

but primarily it's a piece of "hard news" that the journalist recipients will have to pay for by running a couple of pieces of nauseating stenography, along with lots of bothsiderism.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Ah, the voice of deep cynicism. I never argue with cynicism. It's so often irrefutably true. :batting:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

the best part of today's dismissal is that Trump is still on the hook for the costs of his little circus.

Judge Dearie's salary
The judges staff's salary
Expenses
The costs for the digital scanning
Trump's Lawyer fees.

And it ain't over yet.....
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

As this is a civil case and not a criminal case that ended in favour of the DOJ, will they request their own lawyers fees? The case was clearly friviously sent to a court.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Short answer: no.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Chilidog wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:08 pm the best part of today's dismissal is that Trump is still on the hook for the costs of his little circus.

Judge Dearie's salary
The judges staff's salary
Expenses
The costs for the digital scanning
Trump's Lawyer fees.

And it ain't over yet.....
Correct except for Judge Dearie. I believe someone previously pointed out that he was not taking any compensation other than what he normally receives as a retired judge.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Is liability for these fees stated in the dismissal order? I was concerned liability might disappear when the suit was dismissed.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Trump opted not to make this case to the Supreme Court after an appeals court panel of all GOP-appointed judges affirmed that the search was legal. Once again his social media rhetoric is completely at odds with his legal strategy
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

He must be running out of money, and needs to bang the drum louder and louder everyday to get the donations to flow in faster.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:31 am He must be running out of money, and needs to bang the drum louder and louder everyday to get the donations to flow in faster.
Funny you mention that. I have not received any begs yet today, which is rather odd. Perhaps he didn't pay the light bill.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”