Trump's Classified Docs Theft: Mar-A-Lago, FBI Subpoenas, Searches & Seizures - DOJ, Garland, GOP Madness - Spy Hard

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Trump's Classified Docs Theft: Mar-A-Lago, FBI Subpoenas, Searches & Seizures - DOJ, Garland, GOP Madness - Spy Hard

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

It's only addressed to Justice Thomas, amirite?

So of what value is an opinion about what "the Court" will do? The question is what Thomas will do.

'Course, I'm not familiar with what Justice Thomas can do. But I'm sure more will be revealed ...
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Trump’s lawyer refused his request in February to say all documents returned
After initial return of 15 boxes, attorney Alex Cannon thought there might be more records at Mar-a-Lago, people familiar with the matter said

By Josh Dawsey and Jacqueline Alemany
October 3, 2022 at 6:25 p.m. EDT

Former president Donald Trump asked one of his lawyers to tell the National Archives and Records Administration in early 2022 that Trump had returned all materials requested by the agency, but the lawyer declined because he was not sure the statement was true, according to people familiar with the matter.

As it turned out, thousands more government documents — including some highly classified secrets — remained at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence and private club. The later discovery of those documents, through a May grand jury subpoena and the Aug. 8 FBI search of the Florida property, are at the heart of a criminal investigation into the potential mishandling of classified material and the possible hiding, tampering or destruction of government records.

Alex Cannon, an attorney for Trump, had facilitated the January transfer of 15 boxes of presidential records from Mar-a-Lago to the National Archives, after archives officials agitated for more than a year to get “all original presidential records” back, which they are required by law to do. Following months of stonewalling by Trump’s representatives, archives officials threatened to get the Justice Department or Congress involved.

Trump himself eventually packed the boxes that were returned in January, people familiar with the matter said. The former president seemed determined in February to declare that all material sought by the archives had been handed over, said the people, who like others interviewed for this article spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal conversations.

Around the same time The Washington Post reported that the archives had retrieved documents from Mar-a-Lago, the people said, Trump asked his team to release a statement he had dictated. The statement said Trump had returned “everything” the archives had requested. Trump asked Cannon to send a similar message to archives officials, the people said. In addition, the former president told his aides that the documents in the boxes were “newspaper clippings” and not relevant to the archives, two of these people said, and complained that the agency charged with tracking government records was being persnickety about securing the materials from his Florida club.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... documents/
raison de arizona

Joyce Alene @JoyceWhiteVance wrote: Justice Thomas is giving DOJ a week to respond. That's another week where they can keep working. That's a signal Thomas doesn't view this as a matter that should be pushed along for a fast decision.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Delarin
Verified: ❌ This is not the Delarin you're looking for.

Post by Delarin »

Wait, after the 11th Circuit acted, Judge Cannon went back and struck all the portions of the Special Master Appointment order that matter, isn't that right?

I thought that supposedly made CA11's action moot, and left nothing to appeal at SCOTUS?
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:46 pm :snippity:
Joyce Alene @JoyceWhiteVance wrote: Justice Thomas is giving DOJ a week to respond. That's another week where they can keep working. That's a signal Thomas doesn't view this as a matter that should be pushed along for a fast decision.
Yabbut, asking for a response arguably gives the application more dignity than it deserves.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Chilidog wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:29 pm Ya, but....

Didn't "Come on" Aileen strike down her own order for the Special Master to review the classified documents? Would she have to then reverse the reversal?

:rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :stars: :stars: :stars:
bump

not to mention the whole “need to know” requirements
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Chilidog wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:05 pm
Chilidog wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:29 pm Ya, but....

Didn't "Come on" Aileen strike down her own order for the Special Master to review the classified documents? Would she have to then reverse the reversal?

:rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye: :stars: :stars: :stars:
bump

not to mention the whole “need to know” requirements
Calling Randy Rainbow. Please oh please oh please. :prettyplease:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

1. Having fully digested Trump's emergency application to #SCOTUS, here's a quick #thread on what it's really asking for, why it's not *entirely* laughable, and why I nevertheless think that it's both (1) doomed to fail; and (2) unlikely to accomplish much even if it succeeds:
raison de arizona

The inevitable NARA investigation by the House Oversight Republicans.
► Show Spoiler
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:30 pm The inevitable NARA investigation by the House Oversight Republicans.
► Show Spoiler

My IANAL take on this is hat NARA can blow this one off.

It’s just the minority members wanting to see stuffs and do some ‘whatabouting’, and without a vote of the full committee NARA is under no obligation to respond.

Ballsy of them to make it seem like they have some authority by putting it on Committee letterhead & not Ranking Member letterhead, plus citing House Rule X in the last paragraph.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Post by Slarti the White »

chancery wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:02 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:46 pm :snippity:
Yabbut, asking for a response arguably gives the application more dignity than it deserves.
As I understand it from all the birther petitions to the SCOTUS, NOT asking the other party to respond means that the case will be denied cert. So Thomas asking for a reply seems to suggest that this case will be heard in conference instead of just circular filed. That is definitely giving the application more dignity than it deserves.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

In my fantasies it would be "Thank you for bringing up the issue of jurisdiction. We grant your motion in part by booting that judge off the case, due to her not having jurisdiction, and nominating one from the 11th circuit."
Hic sunt dracones
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Delarin wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:57 pm Wait, after the 11th Circuit acted, Judge Cannon went back and struck all the portions of the Special Master Appointment order that matter, isn't that right?

I thought that supposedly made CA11's action moot, and left nothing to appeal at SCOTUS?
Stop thinking logically.
101010 :towel:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:48 am
RTH10260 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:46 am Now if messy only had kept his lawyer letters all in a separate drawer and not comingled them with government documents of with his love letters and memorabiliy...
Surely any person with such complex affairs would/should employ a personal secretary to handle those basic aspects of organizing paperwork? If Trump's documents are a manure pile, his lawyers can't reasonably complain if the FBI get shit under their fingernails.

I guess either Trump doesn't want competent staff or they're too clear-headed to agree to work for him.
No witnesses.

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:20 pm
I don't quite understand why the SM needs to see the documents themselves. (I know, Dearie doesn't want to see them, Trump does. A copy is as good as the original for selling to the highest bidder or using for blackmail).

Isn't the question simply "were there classified documents" in the boxes of material taken during the Aug. 8 visit to Mar A Lago?

It seems to me that the content of those documents is irrelevant. And if it is classified material, the normal rules for handling and seeing it should apply, meaning anyone who sees the content must have a security clearance and a clear "need to know".
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, you gotta think like he does pretends to do, and pay attention to the real world stuff that goes along with the legal stuff.

So, umm ... yeah, he was planning to suck up to Justice Thomas on Saturday night in Michigan, because he knew that his lawyers would file something for Justice Thomas only. Tragic that he didn't actually appoint Thomas, but whatevs. :shrug:

And the second part of the real world stuff is that "Truth" or whatever it is up above, the one that ends with a brief but ultimately important sentence containing his plea to all the judges who might be willing to commit treason, and that was:

I want my documents back!

You and I both know they aren't his documents. If you have any questions, read the 11th Circuit ruling that says so most eloquently.

But that's what he wants. That's the only thing he wants, and he is signaling that to the Supremes before they begin to work on the case. And if he doesn't get the documents back, including the classified documents (Narrator: :nope:), then he is going to claim that the courts - even the Supremes - are corrupt and part of the swamp.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I wonder if SCOTUS notices that the federal current court has loosened its cannon and revised the underlying order, so essentially this thing seems mooooooot to this IANAL, dang overseas Eurobot.

ETA rather nasty slip there
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I'm too busy working to absorb this, but you guys have at it.

Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:34 am I wonder if SCOTUS notices that the federal current has loosened its cannon and revised the underlying order, so essentially this thing seems mooooooot to this IANAL, dang overseas Eurobot.
I agree with you, but there are so many sideshows to the sideshow, I don't think that's been adequately answered yet.

But I suspect that if the Supremes rule that Judge Dearie gets to look at the classified documents again, Judge Cannon will simply revise her order to conform with the ruling.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Kendra wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:00 am I'm too busy working to absorb this, but you guys have at it.

Judge Cannon's docket.

Her clerks!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Remember all that outrage on Fox and others over the leak at the Supreme Court? The horror! I bet there will be crickets over this one. :fingerwag:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

You got that right, Kendra.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I'm losing track of what's what in this case, but here's the latest -

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”