Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 - Climate Change, ACA Subsidies, Medicare, Corp Tax, Deficit Reduction - Manchin Schumer

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 - Climate Change, ACA Subsidies, Medicare, Corp Tax, Deficit Reduction - Manchin Schumer

Post by Luke »

For some light weekend reading, here's the full text of the Inflation Reduction Act (725 pages):
https://www.democrats.senate.gov/imo/me ... f_2022.pdf

Here's a one-page summary from Senate Democrats (https://www.democrats.senate.gov/imo/me ... ummary.pdf)

Inflation Reduction Act 1 Page.JPG
Inflation Reduction Act 1 Page.JPG (148.91 KiB) Viewed 1433 times

Imagine Boebert, Greene & Gaetz along with GOP senators will be deeply studying the bill since they have many days to prepare before the Senate vote-a-rama and the House is called back into session to pass it. :smoking:

Here's a catch-up on how the deal happened with some of the highlights of the bill, a breakdown on the climate change aspects, and the drama Sen. Sinema is now bringing to the table. There's an incredible opportunity here; while extending the ACA subsidies for longer than 3 years would have been less stressful, at least we won't see massive premium jumps next year.

And with all the crocodile tears about reducing the deficit from Republicans, this bill reduces it by $300B (and President Biden paid down $1.1 Trillion this year, the biggest deficit reduction payment ever), now its crickets from the GOP. This is so true:

GOP Playbook.jpg
GOP Playbook.jpg (92.84 KiB) Viewed 1433 times

Inside the secret Manchin-Schumer deal: Dems shocked, GOP feels betrayed
BY ALEXANDER BOLTON - 07/29/22 5:23 AM ET

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) and Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) reached their agreement on a major tax and climate package Tuesday evening but kept it a closely guarded secret — giving Democrats just enough time to pass a $280 billion chips and science bill that Republicans would have otherwise blocked. The announcement of the deal, which would raise $739 billion in new tax revenue, fund an array of new climate provisions and pay down $300 billion of the federal deficit, came as a complete surprise to their Senate colleagues. “I’d say it’s somewhere between a surprise and a shock,” Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) said after attending a special caucus meeting Thursday morning where Schumer explained the deal.

It was all the more surprising because less than two weeks earlier, the talks between Schumer and Manchin fell apart in dramatic fashion, when Schumer signaled he would proceed with a scaled-down budget reconciliation bill that included only prescription drug reform and a two-year extension of expiring Affordable Care Act subsidies. Manchin admitted Thursday morning that he and Schumer lost their tempers in a heated discussion on July 14 when the Democratic leader accused him of “walking away” from a deal after months of negotiations. “It got a little bit hot and heated, if you will,” he said. “He said, ‘You’re walking, you’re not going to do this or that,’” Manchin recalled. “I said, ‘Chuck, I’m not walking away from anything, I’m just being very cautious. The people of West Virginia cannot afford higher prices. They can’t afford higher gasoline prices, higher food prices.’” Manchin said the talks collapsed because of his reluctance to enact a big tax and climate bill after the Bureau of Labor Statics reported July 13 that inflation hit 9.1 percent in June compared to the year before.

Manchin said Schumer characterized him as walking away from the deal but insisted he never did so. “I’ve never been in reverse in my lifetime and I never walked away,” he said. Manchin said he bumped into Schumer again the following Monday and their tempers had cooled at that point. “By Monday we ran into each other again. I said, ‘Are you still upset?’ He said, ‘I’m very discouraged.’ I said, ‘Well, you shouldn’t be. Something positive could be done if we all want to work rationally,’” Manchin said, recounting the key moment. He said their staffs started working together in earnest the next day, July 19. Manchin said his staff and Schumer’s staff picked up the things they were working on before and “started restructuring that.”

They finally hashed out a deal on Tuesday evening, recognizing they had to announce the package on Wednesday if it had any chance of passing before the scheduled start of a lengthy summer recess on Aug. 6. “By Tuesday night, everyone — there wasn’t that many of us —those of us who might have had some disagreements, finally come to agreement,” he said. “We had the text pretty much lined up in that arena. That’s why the text was finished on Wednesday. Wednesday morning it was confirmed that it was a go.” It just so happened the timing aligned perfectly with Schumer’s plan to hold a vote on final passage of the chips and science bill at noontime Wednesday.

Republicans who voted for tens of billions of dollars for the domestic semiconductor manufacturing industry and the National Science Foundation were outraged and felt betrayed. Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), a key player in getting the chips and science bill passed, said he received “assurance privately from some Democrats, including the staff of the Senate majority leader, that the tax and climate provisions were off the table,” which Republicans said would be a precondition for moving the chips bill. Cornyn took to the Senate floor Thursday afternoon to rail against the secret climate and tax deal. “How can we negotiate in good faith, compromise where necessary, and get things done together after the majority leader and the senator from West Virginia pull a stunt like this?” he said with rising exasperation. “To look you in the eye and tell you one thing and to do another is absolutely unforgivable.” Manchin on Thursday insisted that he and Schumer didn’t pull a “fast one” on Republicans by announcing the deal Wednesday afternoon. “No, you know, I sure hope they don’t feel that way. I mean, I understand that they are, but I don’t know why,” he told reporters on a conference call.

Schumer told reporters Thursday afternoon that he and Manchin unveiled the legislative text and the summaries of the deal as soon as they finished it. “Because of the length of the parliamentary birdbath, we wanted to get this done as quickly as possible,” he said, making a reference to the work officials will do to determine if the package can be passed under an arcane budgetary rule being used to avoid a GOP filibuster. Schumer noted that the talks with Manchin broke down on July 14 but that Manchin “came to visit me” the following week. “Manchin requested a meeting with me on the 18th and he said, ‘Can we work together and try to put together a bill?’ I said as long as we finish it in August, we’re not waiting until September,” he said. Manchin said his staff took the lead at that point. “It was me and my staff and then we worked with Schumer’s staff. My staff was driving it, we wrote the bill. Schumer’s staff would look at it, we’d negotiate,” he told West Virginia radio host Hoppy Kercheval Wednesday morning.He said his staff shaved about $400 billion to $500 billion in other revenue-producing tax reforms from the bill. “There was a lot more revenue in there before that,” he said, explaining how the bill changed after he and Schumer blew up at each other.

By Tuesday evening they agreed to setting a 15 percent corporate minimum tax on companies with profits in excess of $1 billion, beefing up IRS enforcement of tax compliance and closing the carried interest loophole that allows asset managers to pay capital gains tax rates on income earned from profitable investments. Manchin kept President Biden on the sidelines after last year’s negotiations between Manchin and the White House, which ended in failure and public recriminations after months of fruitless talks. “President Biden was not involved,” he told West Virginia MetroNews. “I was not going to bring the president in. I didn’t think it was fair to bring him in. This thing could very well have not happened at all,” he said, explaining he didn’t want to involve the president in case talks fell apart again.
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/357 ... -betrayed/
Jul 29, 2022 - Energy & Environment
The big new climate bill's most important provisions
Andrew Freedman

The climate and energy provisions in the Senate's revenue and spending deal cover everything from incentives to buy electric vehicles to spurring the development of next-generation climate technologies, such as direct air capture.

The big picture: The draft bill would bring U.S. carbon dioxide and methane emissions down and dramatically scale up the development and deployment of new technologies.

Here are the biggest changes, if the bill passes.

Clean energy tax credits: Several climate policy experts told Axios Thursday that these provisions taken together would make the biggest difference in cutting emissions. These include a decade of tax credits that would apply broadly to zero carbon technologies including existing nuclear power plants and advanced nuclear technologies, clean hydrogen, carbon capture and storage as well as wind and solar power. The bill would also provide incentives for deploying direct air capture technologies. The Biden administration has already been funding demonstration projects for everything from clean hydrogen to long duration energy storage. The proposed bill would provide a path for some of these projects to be deployed. Incentives would also be directed to battery manufacturing and the domestic mining of critical minerals. Consumers could qualify for tax credits or rebates for making their homes more energy efficient by adding heat pumps and electric stoves, among other steps. Electric vehicle incentives: These provisions would speed the wider adoption of clean technologies and help reduce transportation emissions, which are the largest contributor to U.S. annual emissions.

Specifically, the bill provides up to a $7,500 clean vehicle tax credit for EVs that are built in North America, with added incentives for having battery components largely manufactured or assembled in North America. The credit could be applied as a rebate at the point of sale. The bill would also provide $4,000 in tax incentives for the purchase of used clean vehicles. The EV incentives would be subjected to annual gross income limitations, to direct the benefits to mass market customers, rather than wealthy buyers.

Methane fee: Another provision that would have a big impact, according to policy analysts and scientists, is a methane fee program that would make it increasingly costly for the energy industry to emit this powerful greenhouse gas. The fee would begin at $900 per metric ton of emissions above federal limits in 2024 and increase to $1,500 per metric ton in 2026 and thereafter.

What's not in the bill: The deal leaves out some elements of previous climate proposals, such as incentives to build new electric transmission lines to support the broader deployment of renewables. But congressional action was never going to get the U.S. all the way to its emissions reduction target under the Paris agreement, notes Nathan Hultman, director of the University of Maryland's Center for Global Sustainability. He said the draft bill would go about as far as necessary to help meet the U.S. target, and it is now up to federal agencies, state lawmakers, cities and private industry to do the rest. Other analysts agree.

The intrigue: The mere reveal of this bill changed the international discourse on climate policy, since the U.S. was perceived as lagging further behind and unable to follow through on its pledges made at the U.N. Climate Summit in Glasgow last year. "Without this legislation, there was no question that the international credibility of the US would be significantly undermined," David Waskow of the World Resources Institute told Axios via email.

What we're watching: The bill's emergence takes much of the pressure off President Biden to rely mainly on executive actions to address climate change, including declaring a climate emergency. Also, some potentially thorny issues have been punted to a separate legislative effort that Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) has secured, which is aimed at reforming the approval process for pipelines and other energy infrastructure.
10 hours ago - Politics & Policy
Sinema indicates she may want to change Schumer-Manchin deal

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) had a message for her Democratic colleagues before she flew home to Arizona for the weekend: She's preserving her options.

Why it matters: Sinema has leverage and she knows it. Any potential modification to the Democrat's climate and deficit reduction package — like knocking out the $14 billion provision on carried interest — could cause the fragile deal to collapse. Her posture is causing something between angst and fear in the Democratic caucus as senators wait for her to render a verdict on the secret deal announced by Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and Sen. Joe Manchin last Thursday.

Driving the news: Sinema has given no assurances to colleagues that she’ll vote along party lines in the so-called “vote-a-rama” for the $740 billion bill next week, according to people familiar with the matter. The vote-a-rama process allows lawmakers to offer an unlimited number of amendments, as long as they are ruled germane by the Senate parliamentarian. Senators — and reporters — expect a late night. Republicans, steaming mad that Democrats have a chance to send a $280 billion China competition package and a massive climate and health care bill to President Biden, will use the vote-a-rama to force vulnerable Democrats to take politically difficult votes. They'll also attempt to kill the reconciliation package with poison pills — amendments that make it impossible for Schumer to find 50 votes for final passage.

The intrigue: Not only is Sinema indicating that she's open to letting Republicans modify the bill, she has given no guarantees she’ll support a final “wrap-around” amendment, which would restore the original Schumer-Manchin deal.

The big picture: Schumer made a calculated decision to negotiate a package with Manchin in secrecy. He assumed that all of his other members, including Sinema, would fall into line and support the deal. Now his caucus is digesting the specifics, with Sinema taking a printout of the 725-page bill back to Arizona on Friday for some dense in-flight reading. Schumer will find out this week if his gamble in keeping Sinema in the dark will pay off.

What we're watching: While Sinema supported the 15% minimum book tax back in December, which would raise more than $300 billion, Schumer never bothered to check if her position changed, given the darkening economic outlook. Schumer and Manchin also inserted the language on taxing carried interest as regular income, which would raise approximately $14 billion, knowing full well that Sinema never agreed to it. That move blindsided Sinema. Now the private equity industry, which has contributed heavily to Sinema, is hopeful that she'll knock the provision out.

The intrigue: While Schumer and Manchin have a well-documented and tumultuous relationship — replete with private fence-mending Italian dinners — Schumer and Sinema do not regularly engage.

Flashback: The Schumer-Sinema relationship took a big blow back in February when Schumer declined to endorse Sinema for her 2024 re-election when directly asked by CNN. She didn't attend her party's caucus meeting on Thursday.

Between the lines: Sinema and Manchin always agreed that President Biden’s initial $3.5 trillion Build Back Better plan needed to be trimmed down. They are also on the same page on the need to act on climate change. If Manchin has been primarily concerned with inflation, her guiding principles have always been economic growth and new jobs in Arizona.

The bottom line: Sinema isn't terribly pleased with how Schumer has foisted this package upon her. She reserves the right to modify it. But she also knows that a progressive challenger, like Rep. Ruben Gallego, is all but guaranteed in 2024 if she's held responsible for killing the Democrats best shot at a climate bill in years.
https://www.axios.com/2022/07/30/sinema ... -democrats
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Gregg

Re: Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 - Climate Change, ACA Subsidies, Medicare, Corp Tax, Deficit Reduction - Manchin Sch

Post by Gregg »

So how long until Princess Curtsey says she can only possibly vote for it if X is removed, and Manchin says he can only possibly vote for it if X is not removed and the whole thing collapses to the sound of Mitch McConnell's orgasmic screams.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Re: Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 - Climate Change, ACA Subsidies, Medicare, Corp Tax, Deficit Reduction - Manchin Sch

Post by Luke »

Never forget the immortal woofs of Lt. Col. Root Beer: :P

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:lol: I have ABSOLUTELY NO FAITH in either of these tools.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

This was discussed with Elizabeth Warren on the latest Maddow episode and sounds like it could be an unexpected win.
I know it’s difficult to reign in the cynicism…
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I hope so, but I'm not holding my breath. I was pretty excited originally, then Manchin's and Sinema's names came up.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Manchin is the unexpected aspect i that he is in (he says his staff were essential to its construction).

Sinema is just PO’d that it caught it her by surprise and she didn’t get to experience being in the limelight during its writing. Time will tell…
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/7 ... or-that-Us
Manchin caved on climate. Bill McKibben says there's a good reason for that: Us

In the wake of Sen. Joe Manchin’s surprise decision announced Wednesday, agreeing (finally) to the first significant federal legislation on climate in three decades, McKibben has written a short commentary at his substack, The Crucial Years. You can read the whole thing at the link, but I’m excerpting a chunk of it here:
The pushback against his decision two weeks ago to blow up the deal was harsh—clearly harsher than Manchin expected. Within hours he was trying to make the case that he hadn’t actually walked away from negotiations. His fellow Senators stopped playing nice and made it clear they had no use for him. And the president seemed to understand he had to hit back: hence his increasingly clear talk of a climate emergency. But most of all it was, I think, the widespread public scorn. Somehow it began to break through to Manchin that the only thing history would ever remember about him is that he blocked action on the worst crisis humans have ever faced.

There’s no longer a real public doubt about climate change. Yes, for partisan Republicans it remains fun to pretend it’s a hoax, but after thirty years of science, fifteen years of movement building, and an ever-increasing cascade of fires, floods, heatwaves and droughts, the public mood is finally strong enough to at least begin to match the political power of the fossil fuel industry.

You could feel it building when Bernie made it a key campaign issue in 2016; by 2020, every Democratic candidate was on board, because primary polling showed it was one of the top two issues for voters. The political force most responsible for this victory was the Sunrise Movement; those young people built that wave and then rode it with immense skill.

But this is a win engineered by everyone who ever wrote a letter to the editor, carried a sign at a march, went to jail blocking a pipeline, voted to divest a university endowment, sent ten dollars to a climate group, made their book club read a climate book.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Interesting story in the Kos, thanks for posting that. It's often said Manchin wants to be liked. Manchin did a Full Ginsburg* pushing the bill and working to persuade Sinema... so hoping Gregg's Lucy image doesn't happen on this one (and imagine he does too). Gregg, what if they add a Pup-Peroni line item and increase funding for the 699th? We might be able to get that done :P

Manchin to Sinema: Believe in this bill
All eyes have now turned to the Arizona Democrat to see if she will support the legislation agreed to last week.
By BURGESS EVERETT 07/31/2022 10:44 AM EDT

Attention Kyrsten Sinema: The deal between Chuck Schumer and Joe Manchin reflects your “tremendous input,” doesn’t raise taxes and is altogether an “all-American bill.” That’s, at least, according to Manchin. As Sinema (D-Ariz.) weighs whether to support the party-line energy, tax, deficit reduction and health care legislation, the West Virginia senator fanned out across all five Sunday shows to make the case for his deal. The moment reflected how intensely Manchin is now pressing to pass a package that only a few weeks ago he was lukewarm on, at best — and why he thinks Sinema should support it.

And Manchin had plenty of work to do during his quintet of appearances, with hosts pressing him whether the bill really fights inflation and how imposing a new minimum tax on large corporations might affect the economy. Faced with those questions, Manchin said simply on “Fox News Sunday": “We did not raise taxes. We closed loopholes.” He also made sure to credit Sinema with cajoling Democrats into that tax-skeptic position after many in her party weighed surtaxes on high earners and pushed for rate increases. Though Sinema’s stayed quiet since Manchin and Schumer announced the deal on Wednesday, Manchin said that he “would like to think she’d be favorable to it.” “Kyrsten Sinema is a friend of mine, and we work very close together. She has a tremendous, tremendous input in this legislation,” Manchin said on NBC’s “Meet the Press.” “She basically insisted [on] no tax increases, [we’ve] done that. And she was very, very adamant about that, I agree with her. She was also very instrumental” on prescription drug reform.

Manchin and Sinema were aligned for months last year on pushing back against Democrats’ plans to spend as much as $3.5 trillion. Sinema worked on the prescription drug piece and helped shape the revenue package significantly late last year before Manchin rejected what was once called Build Back Better. Now they are in different places. Manchin negotiated the deal one-on-one with Majority Leader Schumer while Sinema was caught completely off guard by its announcement, particularly the inclusion of a provision narrowing the so-called carried interest loophole, which brings in $14 billion of the bill’s $739 billion in new revenues. Manchin said he didn’t brief Sinema or anyone else in the Democratic Caucus on his negotiations because of the very real possibility they would fall apart. He said on CNN that when Sinema “looks at the bill and sees the whole spectrum of what we’re doing and all of the energy we’re bringing in, all of the reduction of prices and fighting inflation by bringing prices down, by having more energy, hopefully, she will be positive about it.” Sinema had no new public comments on Sunday as she studies the bill and waits for the Senate parliamentarian to rule on whether it meets the conditions to evade a GOP filibuster. Sinema’s always been cooler on changing the tax code than Manchin, citing concerns over changing tax policies that might restrict economic growth or competitiveness.

The legislation plows $369 billion into energy production and fighting climate change, $300 billion into deficit reduction, lowers some prescription drug prices and extends Affordable Care Act subsidies through 2024. It claws back revenue by increasing IRS enforcement, narrows the so-called carried interest loophole on investment gains and imposes a 15 percent corporate minimum tax on corporations worth $1 billion or more. A Joint Committee on Taxation summary found that the bill would slightly increase tax rates on some people earning under $400,000, leading Sen. Mike Crapo (R-Idaho) to say that the legislation “will do nothing to bring the economy out of stagnation and recession, but it will raise billions of dollars in taxes on Americans making less than $400,000.” But Ashley Schapitl, a spokesperson for Senate Finance Chair Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) said those families “will not pay one penny in additional taxes under this bill” and said the JCT analysis is not complete because “it doesn’t include the benefits to middle-class families of making health insurance premiums and prescription drugs more affordable. The same goes for clean energy incentives for families.”

Manchin put it even more plainly on “Meet the Press.” “I agree with my Republican friends that we should not increase taxes. And we did not increase taxes,” he said. “This is an all-American bill.” The West Virginia Democrat also answered several questions about the second part of a deal: an agreement with Biden, Schumer and Speaker Nancy Pelosi to increase energy production by implementing federal permitting reform. That piece was excluded from the party-line bill because it is likely to run afoul of the strict budget rules on reconciliation bills. Asked how he can be so sure that will pass later, Manchin offered a warning on Fox News if it doesn’t happen: “There will be consequences.”

Manchin’s urgent push comes ahead of a critical week for the Democratic Party. With Covid infections still infiltrating their 50-seat majority, Democrats are trying to stick a tricky landing ahead of the August recess. Democrats probably need all their members in town to pass the Manchin deal and still need to get the legislation cleared by the Senate parliamentarian. On the attendance side, Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) announced he would be available for votes this week, a critical boost for Democrats. Provided all Democrats show up this week, they can pass the Manchin-Schumer legislation with Vice President Kamala Harris’s tiebreaking vote, though first they’ll have to all stick together during an unlimited “vote-a-rama” to keep Republicans from gutting the carefully negotiated bill.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/3 ... l-00048826

* The "full Ginsburg" is a term used in American politics to refer to a person who appears on all five American major Sunday morning talk shows on the same day. The term is named for William H. Ginsburg, the lawyer for Monica Lewinsky during the sexual conduct scandal involving President Bill Clinton. Ginsburg was the first person to accomplish this feat, on February 1, 1998. (knew it but used Wikipedia for the concise definition)
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Gregg, what if they add a Pup-Peroni line item and increase funding for the 699th? We might be able to get that done :P
We self fund that. You ever wonder who is providing security at every Amazon Distribution Center?

Luke

Post by Luke »

Gregg wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:43 pm
Gregg, what if they add a Pup-Peroni line item and increase funding for the 699th? We might be able to get that done :P
We self fund that. You ever wonder who is providing security at every Amazon Distribution Center?

That image is terrifying! There should have been a warning!
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Those are a real thing, Daphne and Crusoe wear them in Florida.

Luke

Post by Luke »

Fine, take YES for an answer. Could have been worse. As President Obama drilled in via Voltaire, “Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.”.

And keep the terrifying 699th on STANDBY for a possible emergency mission to Arizona. Krysten knows not to fu*k with Lt Col Root Beer and Col Biscuit.
58 mins ago - Politics & Policy
Sinema eyes changes to tax, climate portions of reconciliation bill

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) is eyeing changes to Democrats' $740 billion reconciliation bill — specifically increasing climate funding and restructuring the tax provisions — as the Senate moves rapidly toward final passage before the August recess, Axios has learned.

Why it matters: Sinema is the one senator potentially standing in the way of Democrats clinching President Biden's longtime goal of passing an ambitious package tackling climate change, health care and taxes — renamed the "Inflation Reduction Act of 2022."

That position gives her a huge amount of leverage as Democrats await a verdict from the Senate parliamentarian over whether the bill complies with the "Byrd Rule," which controls what provisions can be included in the budget reconciliation process. The fact the negotiations were conducted entirely in secret between Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.V.) — catching Sinema by surprise — has left her space for an 11th hour intervention. Sinema has so far refused to weigh in on whether or not she will support the bill until the parliamentarian renders her judgment on the measure.

What we're hearing: Sinema is looking at significantly beefing up the reconciliation bill's funding for droughts and water security in the Southwest, sources familiar with her thought process tell Axios. She views the current $369 billion climate and energy portion of the bill as insufficient for addressing threat resiliency funding. On taxes, Sinema has concerns with the structure of the 15% corporate minimum "book tax" and whether the burden could get passed down to employees, the sources said. Sinema supports cracking down on tax avoidance, but has long voiced her opposition to closing the carried interest loophole. She's concerned that the provision, which would contribute $14 billion toward paying down the bill's $740 billion total, could undermine economic competitiveness, the sources said.

Behind the scenes: Sinema has been meeting privately, both virtually and in-person, with key stakeholders in Arizona as she continues to work through her assessment of the bill. Sinema last week visited Flagstaff, Arizona, where she met with local officials who are still reeling from recent flooding and a wildfire that ravaged the state. Arizona is one of the fastest-warming states in the U.S., and the state's largest county, Maricopa County, has already hit a record for heat-related deaths this year. "There are some who were surprised to learn Kyrsten was enthusiastic about the climate provisions last year, because they rightly consider her a centrist. But she's a Senator from Arizona, first and foremost," John LaBombard, Sinema's former communications director and SVP at ROKK Solutions tells Axios. In a phone call Tuesday with Arizona's Chamber of Commerce, local business leaders and manufacturers discussed with Sinema what the proposed 15% corporate minimum tax and closure of the carried interest loophole would mean for Arizona. The private equity industry, which has contributed heavily to Sinema, is lobbying her heavily on shooting down the carried interest portion. "I remember last year, she was hearing feedback from small business owners, concerned about the potential implications of any tax policy changes, and how it might affect their capital investment streams,'" LaBombard said. "She is somebody who errs on the side of caution when it comes to changing tax policies. ... obviously, I think [their input] shaped where she is on the economic parts of this bill."

What they're saying: "What’s clear from our conversation is she’s taking a thoughtful and diligent approach as she considers her position on this legislation," Danny Seiden, CEO of the Arizona Chamber, told Axios' Hans Nichols. "She was very interested in learning what specific impacts the tax provisions will have on Arizona manufacturers — and we believe she will consider these implications seriously as negotiations continue over the coming days.”
https://www.axios.com/2022/08/03/sinema ... nciliation
Luke

Post by Luke »

:dance:

Manu Raju is reporting at 9:30pm EDT that Sinema says she will "move forward" on economic bill, giving Democrats the votes to move ahead. Remove carried interest, add more clean energy. New excise tax on stock trades. :thumbsup:

IN:
Medicare can negotiate drug prices
Environment
ACA subsidies for 3 years
Minimum corporate tax

DEBATE BEGINS SATURDAY! Can move through and get to the House next week! Still needs Senate Parliamentarian.

We're doing it!

AP story is out: https://apnews.com/article/biden-congre ... ce=Twitter

SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

I never thought she would be the sole vote to torpedo the bill.
Luke

Post by Luke »

Agree Suzie, but we need to give HUGE credit to Lt Col Root Beer, Col Biscuit, and the Mighty 699th for "convincing" Sen. Sinema to move this forward. There were tiny parachute and extra Pup-peroni sightings in Arizona but no further information was available. Have been trying to get a comment from the 699th but as always it's been a terse "no comment". Look at these vicious warriors, Sinema must have been terrified. Who could be so dumb as to say no?

Root Beer Biscuit 699.JPG
Root Beer Biscuit 699.JPG (65.13 KiB) Viewed 1056 times
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Fierce warriors Lt. Root Beer and Biscuit!! Thank you for saving Pres. Biden and the Democratic agenda. So glad these fearsome beasts are on our side.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

His Illuminated Majesty's Imperial Air Force will niether confirm nor deny stories about purported covert ops in Arizona this week

But the Camelback Golf Club and Resort in Scottsdale is top notch, pet friendly, has a helipad and Pupperoni is on the room service menu.

Allegedly.

Biscuit's "War Face"

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

The "war face" still lacks some camouflage war paint to instill fear ;)
Luke

Post by Luke »

Imagine war paint was scrubbed, that's classified. Lt Biscuit finished her mission, RTH, she's at the Victory Pup-peroni Party. Gotta admit I'm a bit surprised to see the 699th's M in a photograph, but Fogbow has been a trusted outlet for the 699th. And 699th photos tend to disappear after a few days from these pages.

I'm a bit concerned a certain ROOSTER is using Lt Biscuit's image as an avatar... was this cleared with CENTCOMWOOF? There's some unusual radar activity around North Carolina. Hopefully, CENTCOMWOOF will approve and dachshunds and roosters will be friends. :P

Thankfully, debate on the Inflation Reduction Act begins tomorrow! There is volunteer backup for the 699th if needed. Also incredibly fierce and intimidating.

Lucy.JPG
Lucy.JPG (70.03 KiB) Viewed 968 times

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Gregg wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:42 am His Illuminated Majesty's Imperial Air Force will niether confirm nor deny stories about purported covert ops in Arizona this week

But the Camelback Golf Club and Resort in Scottsdale is top notch, pet friendly, has a helipad and Pupperoni is on the room service menu.

Allegedly.

Biscuit's "War Face"

Whose a good warrior hero? You're a good warrior hero! Yes you are....yes you are!!!!
[/baby talk voice]
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Luke

Post by Luke »

Senate poised to work through weekend to advance economic package
Today, Senate Democrats are poised to work through the weekend to advance a major health-care, climate and deficit-reduction package, following an agreement struck with Sen. Kyrsten Sinema (D-Ariz.) that alters some tax provisions in the bill. Senate Majority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) said he believes all 50 members of the Democratic caucus are on board. After consideration of amendments, a final Senate vote could come early next week. The House would need to return to Washington to pass the legislation.

President Biden touted a jobs report Friday showing employers adding 528,000 jobs in July, far more than expected. Later Friday, Biden, who continues to recover from a rebound case of the coronavirus, is scheduled to sign two bipartisan bills that target those who commit fraud in pandemic-era small-business relief programs.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... p_politics

Biden’s big bill: Two GOP strategists on how to kill it
The biggest remaining obstacle for the Democrats in reconciliation is now Senate Parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough.
Republican budget nerds reviewing the latest reconciliation bill still believe they can knock out certain provisions. On Thursday, for the latest episode of the Playbook Deep Dive podcast, we sat down with two of the party’s leading experts on the process: Eric Ueland, who spent 25 years in the Senate, including as staff director of the Budget Committee, and lobbyist Greg D’Angelo, who spent nearly a decade on the committee. Both men were intimately involved with drafting language for reconciliation bills in the Trump years — including the successful effort to use reconciliation to open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil drilling and ending the individual mandate in Obamacare.

The fight over the individual mandate is instructive. MacDonough rejected the original GOP plan to repeal the legal requirement to have coverage, which she argued ran afoul of reconciliation rules because the policy effect of repeal outweighed any budgetary effect, one of the core tests of what’s allowed in a reconciliation bill. Democrats thought they had won the fight. But D’Angelo returned to MacDonough with a new idea: Rather than eliminating the mandate, what if they simply eliminated the tax penalty used to enforce it? MacDonough agreed that keeping the mandate on the books but dialing the penalty down to zero was within the rules. (Her guidance on the issue led to a heated exchange behind closed doors when Democratic staff learned of what they perceived as her reversal.)

In the current Byrd Bath debate, D’Angelo said he “would focus like a laser” on three policies.

1. The drug negotiation price setting program in the Democratic bill. The policy allows Medicare to negotiate prescription drug prices, which would bring costs down for beneficiaries. Pharmaceutical companies that do not comply with the negotiation requirement for Medicare for selected drugs would be subject to a 95 percent excise tax. “It’s a tax penalty that raises no federal revenue,” D’Angelo said. “I.E. has no budget effect, and it appears designed solely for the purpose and intent of altering behavior: forcing drug makers to the table. So I’d argue it’s not budgetary.” If MacDonough can be convinced that it’s “merely incidental to the policy motive of forcing manufacturers to the table,” then she could strike it. (Democrats say they are confident the policy will survive any challenges.)

2. The repeal of the Trump administration’s drug rebate rule. “Questions are raised about whether it’s appropriate to come in and in a single sentence, repeal a 300-page regulation, whole cloth,” D’Angelo said. “That’s a huge policy element to it, despite the huge budgetary effect.”

3. Forcing rebates on drug makers that raise prices faster than inflation. “It has sweeping effects with huge costs that are huge policy changes,” he said. In this GOP Byrd Bath dream scenario, each domino would bring the bill closer to collapse. Each of these three policies has savings of about $100 million. “If you can knock out one of those or even a portion of those, you dramatically reduce the savings that are projected under this bill,” D’Angelo said. “And I think it complicates the deal that the majority appears to have struck.” (Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.) has insisted on $300 billion in deficit reduction.)
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/0 ... e-00049895

Return to “Current Politics”