Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

X -Where Twitter goes to die.

much ado

Twitter

Post by much ado »

Anyone who still works at Twitter is a fool or has visa issues.
Danraft

Twitter

Post by Danraft »

Musk is betting that ChatGPT will write his Twitter code for him
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

same - other reporting
Elon Musk backpedals after mocking disabled Twitter worker in tweet ‘storm’
Haraldur Thorleifsson was locked out of his computer, but after nine days of no answer from the company, decided to tweet the CEO

Associated Press
Wed 8 Mar 2023 03.53 GMT

If you’re not told you are fired, are you really fired? At Twitter, probably.

Haraldur Thorleifsson, who until recently was employed at Twitter, logged in to his computer last Sunday to do some work – only to find himself locked out, along with 200 others.

He might have figured, as others before him have in the chaotic months of layoffs and firings since Elon Musk took over the company, that he was out of a job.

Instead, after nine days of no answer from Twitter as to whether or not he was still employed, Thorleifsson decided to tweet at Musk to see if he could catch the billionaire’s attention and get an answer to his Schrödinger’s job situation.

“Maybe if enough people retweet you’ll answer me here?” he wrote on Monday.

Eventually, he got his answer after a surreal Twitter exchange with Musk, who proceeded to quiz him about his work, question his disability and need for accommodations (Thorleifsson has muscular dystrophy and uses a wheelchair) and tweet that Thorleifsson has a “prominent, active Twitter account and is wealthy” and the “reason he confronted me in public was to get a big payout”.

While the exchange was going on, Thorleifsson said he received an email that he was no longer employed.

On Tuesday evening, Musk tweeted an apology to Thorleifsson, saying his misunderstanding was “based on things I was told that were untrue”.

Thorleifsson, who lives in Iceland, has nearly 160,000 Twitter followers (Musk has over 130 million). He joined Twitter in 2021, when the company, under the prior management, acquired his startup Ueno.

He was lauded in Icelandic media for choosing to receive the purchase price in wages rather than a lump sum payout. That’s because this way, he would pay higher taxes to Iceland in support of its social services and safety net.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... orleifsson
neeneko

Twitter

Post by neeneko »

I wonder just how stern his lawyers were with him to produce such a contrite correction.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

Elon Musk @elonmusk wrote: The reality is that this guy (who is independently wealthy) did no actual work, claimed as his excuse that he had a disability that prevented him from typing, yet was simultaneously tweeting up a storm.

Can’t say I have a lot of respect for that.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Elon has now egg on his face, and it has been seen worldwide. He dropped a valuable worker whose startup got aquired by (the former) company and had the brain behind work further for them. Bright minds will no longer return to Twitter. I guess many will no longer want to work for this twit at his other companies.
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

I believe the man has MD and uses a wheelchair. Questioning his disability because he tweets is disgusting.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

… and fascistic. Disabilities are not approved.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

Invokes images for me of tfg mocking a disabled journalist. tfg and Elmo are peas from the same pod.
raison de arizona

Twitter

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:15 pm I believe the man has MS and uses a wheelchair. Questioning his disability because he tweets is disgusting.
Thread where he explains his disability: https://twitter.com/iamharaldur/status/ ... 80705?s=20
(Because this is something he needs to do publicly now thanks to Elmo.) :mad:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neonzx

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

It's sadly humorous that the Twits PR team has to swoop-in frequently these days when he steps in it.
Readers added context they thought people might want to know
After sending this tweet, Elon spoke directly with the former Twitter employee and subsequently admitted that he was wrong and apologized to the former employee. Elon also invited him back to Twitter.
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

The other thing is something not so obvious... Twitter no longer has a HR department the guy could contact to see was he employed.

So... why not say "oh ya I was responsible for Server maintenance on Twitter." Stick it on your Resume. Whose going to deny it?
Hic sunt dracones
Jim

Twitter

Post by Jim »

Gregg wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:35 pm
Jim wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:38 pm Do not change code until you're sure of all other systems that use that code and are expecting certain things to happen in certain order.

It will be interesting to see if he's willing to pay the extra $$$ it would take to do a complete re-write, testing, and roll-out when hiring all the staff he fired would cost him around 10-15% to upkeep the current system and have it run smoothly. Someone should mention this to Musk's financiers.
Who does he get to write it?

He can't hire new employees, who in their right mind would go work there?

He can't hire outside contractors, if they're smart enough to do the work they're also smart enough to doubt they'll ever get paid. If he doesn't go full Trump an say "I ain't paying, sue me" he'll go full Trump and declare bankruptcy.
No problem there, just do what lawyers have figured out with Trump. Money up front!
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:46 pm … and fascistic. Disabilities are not approved.
and by the end of his little tirade he had every Lawyer who has ever heard of the EEOC salivating at the case he made against himself.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

Yabbut, Thé Donald has shown him that billionaires can get away with anything.
somerset

Twitter

Post by somerset »

Gregg wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:07 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:46 pm … and fascistic. Disabilities are not approved.
and by the end of his little tirade he had every Lawyer who has ever heard of the EEOC salivating at the case he made against himself.
Not justifying Elmo's behavior in any way, but I don't see how the EEOC has jurisdiction over an employee in Iceland.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Shizzle Popped »

somerset wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:28 pm
Not justifying Elmo's behavior in any way, but I don't see how the EEOC has jurisdiction over an employee in Iceland.
Probably not. I'm betting that Iceland's version of the EEOC is a whole lot nastier than ours.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

somerset wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:28 pm
If the employer is in California? One of the things he got fired for was not being able or willing to come into the office instead of working remotely.
Probably not. I'm betting that Iceland's version of the EEOC is a whole lot nastier than ours.
I'd also think they might be a receptive audience after he was voluntarily paying more taxes there than he had to.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
raison de arizona

Twitter

Elon Musk apologizes to laid-off Twitter employee who was Iceland’s person of the year in 2022
Musk’s public exchange with Haraldur ‘Halli’ Thorleifsson — called Iceland’s benevolent tech titan by Icelandic review — went viral on Twitter
:snippity:
Thorleifsson is viewed as something of a hero in Iceland, where he was named 2022 person of the year by several media outlets. He joined Twitter in 2021 after it bought out his company, the creative agency Ueno, for an undisclosed amount, and drew praise for choosing to take the payout in wages, over a more tax-friendly option of stocks or other financial assets.

“Halli, however, gladly paid the higher tax rate, having spoken publicly on many occasions about the benefits he has received from the Icelandic social system,” said the Icelandic Review in a Jan. 23 article, which described the many philanthropic pursuits of “Iceland’s benevolent tech titan.”

The articled noted Thorleifsson’s Ramp Up Iceland program, which has built hundreds of ramps across the country to help wheelchair-using persons such as himself gain greater access.

Some speculated that Musk’s change of heart may have come from the realization that the social-media company would be on the hook to pay out the remainder of Thorleifsson’s contract, due to the arrangement stipulating the sale price would be paid out in wages:
:snippity:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon- ... 2-ba0a3a8a
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Shizzle Popped »

So, wait. Elmo paid the bargain price of $5.86M dollars per head for twitter when the standard is $1M? And then pushed all that knowledge out the door. Brilliant move.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
raison de arizona

Twitter

855669BF-C7C7-4166-A8A8-B1DEFE1400F2.png
855669BF-C7C7-4166-A8A8-B1DEFE1400F2.png (173.89 KiB) Viewed 446 times
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

not fully understood internally
because you fired everyone, ya mope.
Dr. Ken

Twitter

Post by Dr. Ken »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:42 pm
He's totally going to break it and opening it up to hackers
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
neonzx

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

Code is inherently sloppy as stuff gets added on. It is not unique to twitter. Demands from the powers above and time constraints help lead to this. (and Too Many Cooks)

Yeah and firing everyone who understood the code doesn't help much.
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

Dr. Ken wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:51 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:42 pm
He's totally going to break it and opening it up to hackers
He's a Stable Genius.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”