Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

X -Where Twitter goes to die.

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Twitter reportedly makes more cuts to online safety teams
A dozen people based in Dublin and Singapore who moderate content and monitor hate speech believed to have been let go

Danya Hajjaji and agencies
Sat 7 Jan 2023 23.48 GMT

Twitter has made more cuts to its trust and safety team in charge of international content moderation, as well as a unit overseeing hate speech and harassment, Bloomberg reported on Friday.

The move adds to longstanding concerns that new owner Elon Musk is dismantling the company’s regulation of hateful content and misinformation.

With Musk at the helm, Twitter has suffered a public relations crisis featuring sackings, resignations, tumbling revenues, reluctant advertisers and lawsuits over unpaid bills.

The latest round of cuts affected a dozen people at Twitter’s Dublin and Singapore offices, sources who requested anonymity told Bloomberg. Among them were Analuisa Dominguez, Twitter’s senior director of revenue policy, and Nur Azhar Bin Ayob, the recently hired head of site integrity for the Asia-Pacific region.

Employees in charge of Twitter’s misinformation policy, global appeals and state media were also sacked.

Twitter’s head of trust and safety, Ella Irwin, confirmed to Bloomberg that several members of the teams were removed, while denying the cuts targeted other areas.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... fety-teams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Twitter

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/1 ... erance-pay
Severance for laid-off workers is Musk's latest mess at Twitter
When Elon Musk laid off nearly half of Twitter employees, he claimed they’d been offered three months of severance. Sixty days later, workers were left wondering what happened to that claim, Bloomberg reported Thursday, and that has led to more legal action against Twitter. Severance agreements might be forthcoming for workers willing to sign away their right to take legal action, Fortune reported, but information definitely had not come in a timely manner.

The 60-day threshold is significant because Twitter was required to keep paying its California workers for that time period. Now that it’s run out, they’re wondering about that last month of severance and about access to continuing health coverage through COBRA.

“No one has gotten any severance pay,” labor lawyer Shannon Liss-Riordan, who represents hundreds of former Twitter workers, told Bloomberg.

Liss-Riordan already had 100 arbitration claims pending and added another 100 on Thursday—the day after the 60 days was up. That’s in addition to class-action suits and labor board complaints. Liss-Riordan’s legal actions against Twitter include allegations that Musk laid off more women than men. In a December statement, she said, “The conduct of Twitter since Musk took over is incredibly egregious, and we will pursue every avenue to protect workers and extract from Twitter the compensation that is due to them.”

Twitter is trying to get the actions thrown out of court one way or another, and in particular, wants to force workers into the kind of private arbitration that traditionally favors companies. In December, Liss-Riordan got a small early win against Twitter when a federal judge in San Francisco ordered Twitter to notify laid-off workers about the class action lawsuit against the company. U.S. District Judge James Donato is scheduled to hold a hearing this month on Twitter’s attempt to send the case to private arbitration.

The laid-off Twitter workers have the right lawyer on their case. Shannon Liss-Riordan has won hundreds of millions of dollars in judgments for the workers she has represented, from Starbucks baristas to American Airlines skycaps to Instacart drivers. She has focused in particular on tipped workers and workers misclassified as independent contractors, with her misclassification lawsuits frequently pitting her against large app companies like Uber. Software engineers might not have been her primary focus, but she is very familiar with tech-oriented companies, and she appears to be hitting Twitter from every legal angle.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Twitter Bans DC Bus System, Brings Back the Guy Everyone Thinks Is Q

Kevin Hurler
Tue, January 10, 2023 at 11:05 PM GMT+1

As Twitter CEO Elon Musk continues to ban and reinstate whoever the hell he wants, an unlikely victim has fallen into his crosshairs: The Washington DC Bus system. At the same time, the company reinstated Ron Watkins, the rumored leader of QAnon.

Elon Musk has a bone to pick with transportation-related Twitter accounts. A report in the Washington Post revealed that the Twitter account for the Washington DC bus system, which went by @Metrobusinfo, was suspended without a reason. Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority spokesperson Ian Jannetta had no comment for the Post but told the outlet that Twitter was not responding to their inquiries on the ban. The broader DC Metro transportation account addressed the suspension on Twitter and directed riders to the Metro’s official webpage to stay abreast of any alerts.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/twitter-bans ... 00020.html
(original: Gizmodo)
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I use an older version of Tweetbot to read Twitter on my iPad. As of last night, it was not working. It looks like Twitter broke something so the Twitter API is not working for any 3rd party Twitter apps. I love my copy of Tweetbot because it omits Twitter ads, displays the tweets in order, brings me back to the last tweet I read, and tells me how many unread tweets I have. The official Twitter app is just subpar and I refuse to use it. This will be the straw that breaks the camel's back and drives me from reading Twitter.

Tweetbot and other Twitter apps still broken as Elon Musk stays silent
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:32 pm Elon Musk stays silent
That's a good thing, right?
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Twitter

Post by Reality Check »

I got logged out of Twitter due to "suspicious activity" on my account. I did nothing of course. I had to change my password. I have been on Twitter since 2009. That is a first.
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

I got suspended for suggesting that someone who said the were willing to die for their gas stove to prove it, helpfully explaining how to put their head in the oven and turn on the gas.

A few hours later I wasn't suspended anymore.

I don't know how I feel about either one yet.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
miss meh

Twitter

Post by miss meh »

Is it just me, or did twitter disable the feature that lets you view tweets by most recent? My feed is totally jacked & the little star thingy is gone from the top.

Completely useless.
miss meh

Twitter

Post by miss meh »

Oh, it gets even better --- under Settings there's apparently now an "interests" section that's got pre-selected shit like Tesla, gun rights - even Ashli Babbit

Its taking me forever to un check everything.
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

My account is still suspended. This is a feature, not a bug. :mrgreen:
Hic sunt dracones
miss meh

Twitter

Post by miss meh »

Well I'm debating whether to disable mine, this might be the last straw for me
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

At the top of your feed you will see For You and Following. Make sure you select Following!

Promoted tweets show up in your timeline. If you create a list, so far only the people selected for that list show up when you look at that list. Lists avoid promoted tweets. Give it a try.
miss meh

Twitter

Post by miss meh »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:58 pm At the top of your feed you will see For You and Following. Make sure you select Following!

Promoted tweets show up in your timeline. If you create a list, so far only the people selected for that list show up when you look at that list. Lists avoid promoted tweets. Give it a try.
Tried selecting "following" but the most recent tweets were from Friday
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

miss meh wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:34 am Tried selecting "following" but the most recent tweets were from Friday
:confuzzled: I see recent posts. I wonder if it’s because I recently noticed Twitter had switched me back to Top Posts and I changed that to Most Recent Posts before Twitter took that choice away. Maybe Twitter remembers that? :think:
p0rtia

Twitter

Post by p0rtia »

miss meh wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:46 pm Oh, it gets even better --- under Settings there's apparently now an "interests" section that's got pre-selected shit like Tesla, gun rights - even Ashli Babbit

I could not find this. Can you provide the path? Thanks!
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Twitter

Post by Slarti the White »

miss meh wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:34 am
MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:58 pm At the top of your feed you will see For You and Following. Make sure you select Following!

Tried selecting "following" but the most recent tweets were from Friday
As I understand it (I'm not a Twitter user), the latest change is that "For You" (which populates your feed via Twitter's algorithms) is now the default and every time you log in you must reselect "Following" to get what you expect in your feed.
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Slarti the White wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:43 am
As I understand it (I'm not a Twitter user), the latest change is that "For You" (which populates your feed via Twitter's algorithms) is now the default and every time you log in you must reselect "Following" to get what you expect in your feed.
No, Following remains selected for me.
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

p0rtia wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:28 am
miss meh wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:46 pm Oh, it gets even better --- under Settings there's apparently now an "interests" section that's got pre-selected shit like Tesla, gun rights - even Ashli Babbit

Settings and Support, Settings and privacy, Privacy and safety, Content you see, Interests.
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

You no longer have the option of selecting Latest Tweets from Twitter's home page. However, I see that that option is still available if you go to a Twitter list. If you haven't created a Twitter list, there are ones have have been shared that you can follow. One that I follow is Walter Shaub's Legal Twitter list. Click on that link to go there and see if you have the three dots at the top right of the Twitter feed. That's where you can select to view Latest Tweets. I believe that changes the order of tweets for all your views.
p0rtia

Twitter

Post by p0rtia »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:33 pm

Settings and Support, Settings and privacy, Privacy and safety, Content you see, Interests.
Thanks! Boy that is well hidden. I mean I looked Really Hard.

So there are like hundreds of topics. But none of them seem to be selected? All of mine have the + symbol next to them, meaning I click that symbol to add them.

I haven't found "gun rights" and "Ashli Babbit" yet. There are some (about a tenth?) topics that might be specific to me (curling, science fiction) but most are absurdly arbitrary and, I'm guessing, linked to the Twitter Blue payers (whom I block when I come across them).
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

p0rtia wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:54 pm

So there are like hundreds of topics. But none of them seem to be selected? All of mine have the + symbol next to them, meaning I click that symbol to add them.

I haven't found "gun rights" and "Ashli Babbit" yet. There are some (about a tenth?) topics that might be specific to me (curling, science fiction) but most are absurdly arbitrary and, I'm guessing, linked to the Twitter Blue payers (whom I block when I come across them).
No, you selected Topics, not Interests. But I was looking right after your original post and I didn't see Interests as an option, but it was late and I was in bed so I put it aside until this morning. Maybe Interests wasn't available at that time? Maybe it's only available to some people? Who knows, with Twitter.
p0rtia

Twitter

Post by p0rtia »

We'll no doubt figure it out. :bighug:

There were a lot of defections over the weekend. The For You / Following option was the last straw for many. My beef is that I'm not getting "Latest" anymore. I most often get a mix of today's posts with yesterday's posts, and posts from days ago (maybe because people I follow commented or liked?). I dunno. It sucks.
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

p0rtia wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:49 pm We'll no doubt figure it out. :bighug:

There were a lot of defections over the weekend. The For You / Following option was the last straw for many. My beef is that I'm not getting "Latest" anymore. I most often get a mix of today's posts with yesterday's posts, and posts from days ago (maybe because people I follow commented or liked?). I dunno. It sucks.
Read my post - https://thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 69#p167442 - and see if that fixes that issue.
miss meh

Twitter

Post by miss meh »

p0rtia wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:54 pm

Yeah, as i was going thru the list some seemed oddly specific - for example, i just finished watching The White Lotus on the HBO app on my kindle & that was in there, even tho i've never tweeted about it or even searched twitter for anything about the show. Which makes me think twitter might have access to my device and/or Google search history? And that's just creepy.
Danraft

Twitter

Post by Danraft »

Yes, Twitter has rocked the boat again. I guess it has always, and every social media platform changes their UI and algorithms, but I had a WTF moment when I logged in after being off it for 3-4 days.

Yuck! All these right wing talking heads filling the feed with the Hunter Biden, Classified Docs, Pete and the FAA shutdown, etc.

I was doing it manually— clicking on the dots to the right of the tweet and muting or saying I didn’t want to see this tweet.

I’ll dig into the settings again…

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”