X -Where Twitter goes to die.

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

bob wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:49 am
pipistrelle wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:42 am What is an "everything" app?
The preferred app for, well, everything. The app you'll use to communicate, vend, research, navigate, etc.

Google has tried to be this, with some success. Its search engine is practically a verb, for example.
You think that in the some time far in the past in the very distant future we will go X-ing for answers where Twitter and Tesla e-X-ited :?: :lol:

X-ing --- now that has the ring of aching :blackeye:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

Google has tried to be this, with some success. Its search engine is practically a verb, for example.
X it! …

Is gonna lead to a lot of jokes.
somerset

Twitter

Post by somerset »

bob wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:49 am
The preferred app for, well, everything. The app you'll use to communicate, vend, research, navigate, etc.

I've had a WeChat account for several years and use it quite a bit.

I don't think WeChat was ever intended to be an "everything" app. It started out as a messaging app that turned into poor substitute for Facebook and Twitter, since these are banned in China (maybe the Chinese government was on to something here ;) ). It added payment capability to compete with AliPay, then added channels, mini programs and other goodies. It kind of reminds me of Yahoo back in the late 1990s - A disorganized collection of useful stuff all in one place.
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

jemcanada2 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:24 am
Foggy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:52 am
It only uses real maple syrup on your pancakes, and it ties a fancy knot in your shoelaces. .
Nothing but real maple syrup should be allowed to touch pancakes! :batting: :batting:
You're planting your flag on that one, eh?

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Twitter

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
I agree. Anything other than genuine maple syrup is a crime against pancakes. When I spent a year at University of Vermont, we put it in covfefe ... on cereal ... on ice cream ... and other important applications. Once you have indulged in the real thing, that corn syrup concoction is unusable.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
jemcanada2

Twitter

Post by jemcanada2 »

Gregg wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:09 pm
jemcanada2 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:24 am
Foggy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:52 am
It only uses real maple syrup on your pancakes, and it ties a fancy knot in your shoelaces. .
Nothing but real maple syrup should be allowed to touch pancakes! :batting: :batting:
You're planting your flag on that one, eh?

Attachments
9F31BB0A-11A8-4103-929C-81CB57E798F8.jpeg
9F31BB0A-11A8-4103-929C-81CB57E798F8.jpeg (19.38 KiB) Viewed 737 times
jemcanada2

Twitter

Post by jemcanada2 »

Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:34 am
Off Topic
I agree. Anything other than genuine maple syrup is a crime against pancakes. When I spent a year at University of Vermont, we put it in covfefe ... on cereal ... on ice cream ... and other important applications. Once you have indulged in the real thing, that corn syrup concoction is unusable.
I eat it by itself with a spoon!
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

Elon Musk @elonmusk wrote: <private email from NPR business reporter>
Defund @NPR
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

NPR is not “funded” by the government, you utter asshole. I suspect the listeners are not people just like you.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

I don’t go there much anymore. I have some reporters on my lists, and Queen’s Tarot who is a fascinating tarot reader focused on world affairs - she called the WI Supreme Court flip 3 weeks earlier based on a reading. When people ask her what she reads to get her info, she links to several US government departmental publications, like State and DOJ.

She retweeted this thread last week.

Is Elmo still messing around with Russia?

ETA: I don’t know what if anything it means. This is not my level of tech. Not just Elmo being weird though, I’d venture to guess.
Dr. Ken

Twitter

Post by Dr. Ken »

And Twitter is broken again can't hit the reply button in the app
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

I went to twitter to try. My reply works great but I saw someone else say it worked again once they got the app. Are you on a browser?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

"It's a feature - Not a bug" :twisted:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Twitter

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, well ... I give up, temporarily. I have returned, sorta kinda mostly, to the bird site.
  • There isn't really a consensus replacement yet, and I suspect there won't be one until after Twitter dies completely dead.
  • I am on Mastodon and Post, but ... most of the people I follow are still on Twitter.
  • I don't want to miss what they are saying because I'm trying to punish a rich asshole for screwing up something I really enjoyed.
  • I can quit any time. :nope:
But Plume is dead, so I'm using MarinDeck on my Android tablet.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Azastan
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Azastan »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... t-leave-us

..."The answer is that there is a select category of humans who are obsessive users of Twitter: politicians; people who work in advertising, PR and “communications”; and journalists. These are people who spend every waking moment on the platform, and use it to disseminate information, argue, troll, boast and engage in relentless virtue-signalling. Given that some (many?) of these people work in media, their obsession with Twitter meant that it had become, de facto, a significant part of the public sphere. If you wanted to be anyone in that networked world, you had to be on Twitter.

When Musk embarked on his chaotic attempts to mould the platform to his liking, there was a stampede of advertisers and disaffected users from it. The former sat on their corporate hands, worried about brands being tainted by the racist and xenophobic hordes that Musk allowed on to the platform; the latter went to Mastodon which, though superficially similar to Twitter, is actually very different – it’s a decentralised federation of independently run servers.

Mastodon is fine for some purposes. For one thing, it’s somehow quieter and more conversational. For another, it’s not algorithmically curated, so you only see posts from people you have chosen to follow. And though it does have some journalists on it, most of them seem to have hedged their bets – in that they have also remained on Twitter. And I can see why: if you are interested in reaching the widest possible audience for your humblebragging or even news of your latest scoop, then – because of its decentralised architecture – Mastodon doesn’t have the “reach” that you crave.

Which means that, no matter how depraved Twitter becomes under its reigning proprietor, you have to be there, even if he despises you. Which he does. After he fired all the company’s press team, for example, replies to media inquiries consist of an automated poo emoji. So, as tech journalist Casey Newton observes in “Why journalists can’t quit Twitter”: “The company was symbolically shitting all over them, and journalists couldn’t get enough of it.”
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

I have a co-worker who keeps me informed of all the news...obtained from TikTok. :eek:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

Hay! Twitter used to be the place for local breaking news too.

Last week someone posted video on TikTok of a landslide under the SB5 freeway. I sent it to the mr as he was going to be driving there the next day. He forwarded it to his friend at JPL; they spent a few minutes googling and declared it a hoax.

Because he’s married to me, Mr chose to drive a different route. His friend got stuck in a four hour traffic jam cuz guess what?!? It wasn’t a hoax.
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I’m seeing other National Weather twitter accounts also posting this tweet. Musk is an idiot.

MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

And this one too…

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

Well it's all falling apart at the T-itter Bird. I have not perused my followed accounts in weeks. Hope that $44billion was worth it, Elmo.
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

I think I mentioned I have notifications turned on for a few accounts I want notifications for.

The notifications no longer notify.

As an aside, I invested in a <$30 Midland S.A.M.E. weather radio. It flashes watches and warnings, which comes in handy as I'm often oblivious. (It can make sounds, too, but they're obnoxious and I have neighbors.)
p0rtia

Twitter

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:

I'm a small potato with 350ish followers, but in the pre-Elmo days I'd get 30 to 50 notifications a day. Now? 1. Or 2. That's it.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Slim Cognito »

I canceled my twitter, good riddance. I'm fine with Post. There's plenty of news and updates but it's much more laid back. Everything I need is there. It's good (for me) not to be so dependent on social media. I've backed off Facebook also. I only use it now to update our friends on D's health status. As for breaking news, I can always find that here, plus here I get clear explanations of what just happened.

My life has improved without my (former) social media addiction.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Volkonski »

I left Twitter after Musk bought it.

Mastodon provides me with several MSM postings. :biggrin:

I stay with Facebook because many members of our extended family post there as well as local government agencies and local media who were never on Twitter.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”