Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

X -Where Twitter goes to die.

Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:14 pm
FT above wrote:The warning from Brussels came in a video call between Musk and Thierry Breton, the EU’s commissioner in charge of implementing the bloc’s digital rules, according to people with knowledge of the conversation.

Breton told Musk that Twitter must adhere to a checklist of rules, including ditching an “arbitrary” approach to reinstating banned users, pursuing disinformation “aggressively” and agreeing to an “extensive independent audit” of the platform by next year.

Musk was warned that unless he stuck to those rules Twitter risked infringing the EU’s new Digital Services Act, a new law that sets the global standard for how Big Tech must police content on the internet. Breton reiterated Twitter could face a Europe-wide ban or fines of up to 6 per cent of global turnover if it breached the law.

So, just tell me, is Ted Cruz going to call for investigations of Europe now?
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

Gregg wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:38 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:02 pm Poor Elon, Apple App Store doesn't want him, the EU doesn't want him. What's next? Google Play?
Apple is not doing anything more than Google, he just picked a fight with Apple for his own reasons.
Elon Musk says Apple threatened to remove Twitter from App Store
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... e-twitter/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

Twitter

Post by neeneko »

Gregg wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:38 pm Apple is not doing anything more than Google, he just picked a fight with Apple for his own reasons.
Musk's bread and butter is culture war, and techbros really hate Apple.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Elon Musk ‘resolves’ Apple row over ‘removal of Twitter from iPhone store’
After chat with Tim Cook the tycoon admits misunderstanding and Apple had ‘never considered removing platform’

Dan Milmo Global technology editor
Thu 1 Dec 2022 09.06 GMT

Elon Musk has said he has “resolved” a misunderstanding with Apple over his claim that Twitter was being threatened with removal from the iPhone maker’s app store.

The new Twitter owner tweeted on Wednesday that he had had a “good conversation” with Apple CEO Tim Cook and that Apple had “never considered” removing the social media platform from its app store.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... hone-store
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

Ya, "never considered," just told your skinny ass to hand over your 30% or your ass was gone.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess Aplle does not threaten to remove apps in general, they would just have removed the in-app purchasing option. Getting the bluebird tag would have been more difficult. Especially when all your app developers have been kicked off their job.
raison de arizona

Twitter

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:40 am I guess Aplle does not threaten to remove apps in general, they would just have removed the in-app purchasing option. Getting the bluebird tag would have been more difficult. Especially when all your app developers have been kicked off their job.
Apple absolutely threatens to remove apps for many reasons. One reason Twitter might be under the microscope is similar to why Gab was- no content moderation, anything goes. Also why Parler was shut down for awhile. Another reason is of course in-app purchasing, if an app attempts to go around Apple to collect their $, cutting Apple out, Apple will kick them out of the App store. See Fortnite.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

Do tech bros hate Apple because it took them so long to release source code to developers while MS did it right away?
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Twitter

Post by Slarti the White »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:30 pm Do tech bros hate Apple because it took them so long to release source code to developers while MS did it right away?

No idea if this is still true, but, back in the 90's a friend of mine had a job where he was looking at Windows for a developer and discovered that Windows at that time had two entirely separate sets of .dll files (essentially the interface that programmers used) -- one that was exposed to the public and one that only Windows products could use. Guess which one was full of bugs?
raison de arizona

Twitter

:callonme:
New Turtle

Twitter

Post by New Turtle »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:30 pm Do tech bros hate Apple because it took them so long to release source code to developers while MS did it right away?
This was maybe 10 years ago, but I was on a project in school where I built an android app and painlessly got it onto the app market, what is now Google Play. Eventually they wanted an iPhone version. To make that happen, first we found an iMac and commandeered it for our project. Next we had to buy a subscription for the apple developer account. To actually build the app, we had to install their proprietary develoer tools that handle the security certificates, etc., which also required an OS upgrade. So basically (at least in those days) if you wanted to develop iOS apps, Apple wanted you to use their hardware and software from top to bottom. They had these stats that showed 90% of their users and developers were using the latest versions of whatever, but that was because they basically force people to upgrade to their latest and greatest.

For a while I had considered building a "hackintosh" which is a Mac running inside a PC-based system, mainly to get around paying for the developer account because it was a hassle to do it through university channels. In the end, we just got the developer account because it was easier.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

IANATB,(in my time I might have been considered a tech something, as a network admin) but…

Apple STILL is relatively hack-free, virus-free, drama- free. Certainly more expensive but call me crazy, not letting everyone play with your code was the right call. I haven’t had a PC since 1986.
raison de arizona

Twitter

I'm not an app developer, but I work with them. My understanding is that Apple App Store is still way tighter than Google Play, but that Google Play has tightened considerably in recently years. That said, side-loading on Android is a fairly simple task, compared to doing it on Apple where it is a huge PITA.
humblescribe
Verified:

Twitter

Post by humblescribe »

Gregg wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:38 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:02 pm Poor Elon, Apple App Store doesn't want him, the EU doesn't want him. What's next? Google Play?
Apple is not doing anything more than Google, he just picked a fight with Apple for his own reasons.
This is entirely anecdotal.

In the early days of Tesla, there was apparently some bad blood between Musk and Apple. Apple was poaching some of Tesla's computer-type dudes. Apple had considered developing their own electric vehicle (not sure how far along they ever got.) I even think Apple approached Tesla about forming a joint venture. Tesla was operating on a shoestring while Apple had billions socked away.

Again, entirely anecdotal. And I am too lazy to comb the intertoobz to see if just how much truth there is to these stories.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

New Turtle wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:18 pm
This was maybe 10 years ago, but I was on a project in school where I built an android app and painlessly got it onto the app market, what is now Google Play. Eventually they wanted an iPhone version. To make that happen, first we found an iMac and commandeered it for our project. Next we had to buy a subscription for the apple developer account. To actually build the app, we had to install their proprietary develoer tools that handle the security certificates, etc., which also required an OS upgrade. So basically (at least in those days) if you wanted to develop iOS apps, Apple wanted you to use their hardware and software from top to bottom. They had these stats that showed 90% of their users and developers were using the latest versions of whatever, but that was because they basically force people to upgrade to their latest and greatest.

For a while I had considered building a "hackintosh" which is a Mac running inside a PC-based system, mainly to get around paying for the developer account because it was a hassle to do it through university channels. In the end, we just got the developer account because it was easier.
I thought it was because they didn't get as many buttons on the mouse. That's my own reason.

Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:24 pm IANATB,(in my time I might have been considered a tech something, as a network admin) but…

Apple STILL is relatively hack-free, virus-free, drama- free. Certainly more expensive but call me crazy, not letting everyone play with your code was the right call. I haven’t had a PC since 1986.
At one time I thought that a lot of that had to do with 90% of the personal computers in the world were Windows-centric and writing viruses for Apple wasn't as value added. :shrug:

poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Twitter

Post by poplove »

Akiva Cohen
@AkivaMCohen
So here's the thing. You can only violate people's legal rights and your own word so far before they lawyer up and come after you.

I really do hope Musk changes his mind and does the right thing - the employees deserve that. But it'll be fun as hell if he doesn't.

One of the replies:
Elliot Silverman 🇺🇸✡️
@ESilverman80
2h
Replying to
@AkivaMCohen
Akiva,
Speaking as someone who practiced law for 42 years, most of that time doing commercial litigation, this is the single best demand letter I have ever seen.
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

:bored:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

I didn’t realize that Akiva wrote that until I got to the end. It is a great letter: Velvet gloves holding a cocked baseball bat. 😍
bob

Twitter

Post by bob »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:13 am I didn’t realize that Akiva wrote that until I got to the end. It is a great letter: Velvet gloves holding a cocked baseball bat. 😍
For those who don't know, our Mike D. works for Akiva. :towel:

And, yes, great letter: It is effective while aimed at multiple audiences; not an easy feat.
Image ImageImage
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Kanye West suspended from Twitter after posting swastika inside Star of David
Elon Musk intervenes after rapper posted image hours after airing antisemitic views in Alex Jones interview

Dan Milmo Global technology editor
Fri 2 Dec 2022 08.29 GMT

Ye, the rapper formerly known as Kanye West, has been suspended from Twitter after he tweeted an image of a swastika blended with a star of David, less than two weeks after he returned to the platform.

The suspension took place hours after Ye praised Adolf Hitler and the Nazis in an interview on InfoWars, a show hosted by the rightwing conspiracy theorist Alex Jones.

Ye was one of several high-profile Twitter users whose accounts were banned or restricted on the site who then had them reinstated after Elon Musk took over as owner.

Ye’s account was unlocked on 21 November, having previously been restricted for tweeting an antisemitic message.

Musk tweeted: “I tried my best. Despite that, he again violated our rule against incitement to violence. Account will be suspended.”

Musk has previously described his approach to content moderation as: “If in doubt, let the speech exist.” As well as reinstating Trump’s account, Musk has declared a “general amnesty” for previously suspended accounts. Musk did not clarify whether Ye’s suspension would be permanent.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... r-of-david
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

It's nice to see there are some remaining adults in the room with Elon.
neeneko

Twitter

Post by neeneko »

Ask any particular techbro and they will give any number of answers, but at its core it is a cultural thing. Apple centred a group of consumers that was not them. They see themselves as the movers and shakers of technology, all companies must think of their needs first. Apple instead focused on 'creative' types.. artists, writers, publishers, the types of people that techbros see as failures who do not do 'real' work. Apple focused on them, and built really cool stuff for them and their needs. I remember them being pissed about it all the way back in the 80s... how dare this 'cool' Macintosh not be made for them!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

neeneko wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:22 am
Ask any particular techbro and they will give any number of answers, but at its core it is a cultural thing. Apple centred a group of consumers that was not them. They see themselves as the movers and shakers of technology, all companies must think of their needs first. Apple instead focused on 'creative' types.. artists, writers, publishers, the types of people that techbros see as failures who do not do 'real' work. Apple focused on them, and built really cool stuff for them and their needs. I remember them being pissed about it all the way back in the 80s... how dare this 'cool' Macintosh not be made for them!
You started off well -- but then went off into defending what we tech bros consider the Apple cult... And it did become a cult worship following -- all the same hallmarks.
raison de arizona

Twitter

Bah, I spent a lot of time tweaking my Windows and Android machines to work how I needed them to. I’ve been on Mac for three years or so now, and I find that I spend far less time tinkering with my tool and more time just using it. So to speak.

And Elon, what happened to free speech? :lol: I thought as long as it wasn’t illegal, it was allowed!

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”