Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

X -Where Twitter goes to die.

somerset

Twitter

Post by somerset »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:47 am
Foggy wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:39 am But now the (recently) richest man in the world - who came from South Africa, of all places - is whining about racism against white people. Oh, how he has suffered! :violin: :crying:
Ya think Elmo's a fan of Dilbert?
Probably
On Sunday, Mr. Musk leaped to the defense of the “Dilbert” cartoonist Scott Adams, whose career has been upended in recent days after he called Black people “a hate group” and urged white people to “just get the hell away” from them during a YouTube livestream.

Mr. Musk, no fan of major news organizations, then appeared to criticize the hundreds of newspapers that have since dropped “Dilbert” from their pages, asserting: “The media is racist.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/27/busi ... =url-share

(gift link)
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

The last time I slept at work was in the Army and I was sleeping in a jungle in Central America.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
qbawl

Twitter

Post by qbawl »

Gregg wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:14 pm The last time I slept at work was in the Army and I was sleeping in a jungle in Central America.
My last time was on the tailgate of the Army ¾ ton truck I was driving. This was in a nearly as scary a place; Wheeling WV.

Whoops, come to think of it there were some longish "Just resting my eyes" on 3rd shift in The computer room in the late '60s.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Slim Cognito »

Same here. When I was working 2nd shift at a midtown hospital in KC, often the third shift transcriptionist would call in sick and I was stuck doing a 14 hour night, working from 2 pm to 6 am. About 3-4 am, when everything was quiet, I'd slip to the back of the room and lay my head down at one of the back row computers and sleep. Luckily, no emergencies came in and I wasn't caught.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
qbawl

Twitter

Post by qbawl »

Yeah funny thing no matter how much sleep I did or didn't get at 3:30 AM my body would say time to go to sleep! Luckily I soon transferred to programming and normal hours.
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I never slept at the office, but I did work for 24 hours straight when we were rolling out a local area network based email system. It ended up going smoothly and I went home at 8:30am for the day. Later I got a thank you card from my boss along with a gift certificate to my favorite restaurant.
busterbunker

Twitter

Post by busterbunker »

Gee whiz, you guys and these Twitter guys got it all wrong. In the early tech days, my buddy and me had a low-level gig up Market St. next to the stock exchange, not down in their slum. We kept it as low-level as possible. Our office was in the basement. The street elevator was our private carriage, we could arrive or split when we wanted. We guarded the company bong.

We set up a couple beds down there and took naps every morning, daily routine. We secured another secret sleeping compartment on the mezzanine and another set of beds up on the 5th floor. When we weren't busy sleeping, we'd go down to the beach in the company car. They just don't make good employees like us anymore.
Sam the Centipede

Twitter

Post by Sam the Centipede »

somerset wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:53 pm
Sam the Centipede wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:47 am :snippity:
Ya think Elmo's a fan of Dilbert?
Probably
On Sunday, Mr. Musk leaped to the defense of the “Dilbert” cartoonist Scott Adams, :snippity:
Thanks somerset.

I hadn't seen that, but I'm not surprised. I suspect Elmo is one of those "free speechers" who draws the "that's not acceptable!" line broadly where his opinions lie. Y'know, a hypocrite.
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

"We guarded the company bong." will be the name of the Box Set of Greatest Hits my retro garage band will eventually release.

The Long Low Wieners Greatest Hits Box Set " We guarded the company bong", next Tuesday at Tower Records!
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

next Tuesday at Tower Records!
First dibs on the listening booth!!
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

Elon Musk held a 2 a.m. livestream to test a 'new mic' where he spammed listeners with fart and rooster noises for 10 minutes while laughing
  • Elon Musk co-hosted a short livestream on Twitter Spaces at 2 a.m. on Tuesday.
  • The Twitter CEO spammed listeners with a variety of sounds, from fart noises to roosters crowing.
  • His co-host, Jason Calacanis, wondered if Musk was streaming from the toilet after flushing was heard.
https://www.insider.com/elon-musk-twitt ... ses-2023-2
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

Twitter

Post by neeneko »

somerset wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:53 pm https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/27/busi ... =url-share

(gift link)
Off Topic
I wonder if that piece was written by an AI? I have noticed generated pieces tend to have that kind of piecemeal meandering repeating flavor to them. The piece did not really seem.. structured.. just a bunch of fragments chained together in a random order with repeating but disconnected infomration.
[/quote]
somerset

Twitter

Post by somerset »

neeneko wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:38 am
somerset wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:53 pm https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/27/busi ... =url-share

(gift link)
Off Topic
I wonder if that piece was written by an AI? I have noticed generated pieces tend to have that kind of piecemeal meandering repeating flavor to them. The piece did not really seem.. structured.. just a bunch of fragments chained together in a random order with repeating but disconnected infomration.

It could be. Or it could be that it's three somewhat related articles by three different writers, poorly "mashed" together.

By Lora Kelley, Michael M. Grynbaum and Tiffany Hsu

Lora Kelley reports on business for The Times. @loracorkelley

Michael M. Grynbaum is a media correspondent covering the intersection of business, culture and politics. @grynbaum

Tiffany Hsu is a tech reporter covering misinformation and disinformation. @tiffkhsu
Volkonski
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Volkonski »

Twitter can’t protect you from trolls any more, insiders say

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-64804007
Twitter insiders have told the BBC that the company is no longer able to protect users from trolling, state-co-ordinated disinformation and child sexual exploitation, following lay-offs and changes under owner Elon Musk.

Exclusive academic data plus testimony from Twitter users backs up their allegations, suggesting hate is thriving under Mr Musk's leadership, with trolls emboldened, harassment intensifying and a spike in accounts following misogynistic and abusive profiles.

Current and former employees of the company tell BBC Panorama that features intended to protect Twitter users from trolling and harassment are proving difficult to maintain, amid what they describe as a chaotic working environment in which Mr Musk is shadowed by bodyguards at all times. I've spoken to dozens, with several going on the record for the first time.

The former head of content design says everyone on her team - which created safety measures such as nudge buttons - has been sacked. She later resigned. Internal research by Twitter suggests those safety measures reduced trolling by 60%. An engineer working for Twitter told me "nobody's taking care" of this type of work now, likening the platform to a building that seems fine from the outside, but inside is "on fire".
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Looks like the European headquarters will be hit with massive fines from both the Irish and European regulators.
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Twitter is broke right now. Links do not work.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:29 pm Twitter is broke right now. Links do not work.
:lol:
{"errors":[{"message":"Your current API plan does not include access to this endpoint, please see https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-api for more information","code":467}]}
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Twitter

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm not on Twitter, but most of the time I can read the tweet. Yesterday, I started seeing them after not having access unless I linked to the tweet for the last few weeks. Now, I'm not seeing them again, but getting the same message. It doesn't bother me one way or the other.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:33 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:29 pm Twitter is broke right now. Links do not work.
:lol:
{"errors":[{"message":"Your current API plan does not include access to this endpoint, please see https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-api for more information","code":467}]}
What's interesting too is that my Twitter feed is not showing any Promoted (i.e. paid advertising) tweets at the moment. I can't imagine that they can because all the paid ad tweets will have links and they won't work. Talk about killing your revenue generators!
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Twitter is once again working. For now.
Jim

Twitter

Post by Jim »

Back ‘Sorry for turning Twitter into a paradise for trolls’, tweets Elon Musk. Here's why

A BBC conducted investigative report has suggested that Tesla Chief Elon Musk's Twitter is no more a safe space from cyber bullying. The report titled ‘Twitter can’t protect you from trolls any more’ quotes employees of the micro-blogging site who confirms that Elon Musk's agenda to make the social media company profitable and to champion freedom of expression, may have back fired for the users.

According to the BBC report, Tweeps or Twitter insiders have confirmed that Twitter has lost its ability to protect against trolling, state-coordinated disinformation and child sexual exploitation. They cited this to massive lay-offs after Elon Musk took over as the sole owner of the platform.

Hate thriving under Musk's leadership

According to exclusive data handled by BBC, they media house noted a trend of trolls emboldened, harassment intensifying and a spike in accounts following misogynistic and abusive profiles.

“Current and former employees of the company tell BBC Panorama that features intended to protect Twitter users from trolling and harassment are proving difficult to maintain, amid what they describe as a chaotic working environment" the BBC report read.

“The former head of content design says everyone on her team - which created safety measures such as nudge buttons - has been sacked. She later resigned. Internal research by Twitter suggests those safety measures reduced trolling by 60%." the report added.
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Mike Dunford @questauthority

Are literally all the links to everywhere broken?
6:01 PM · Mar 6, 2023
And in his thread there is a discussion that Twitter is using its own API for certain internal services, the API pay feature may have been activated and is crashing the twit himself.

PS. outage seems partial to US accounts, outage aflicts images servved too.
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Ben Collins @oneunderscore__
You can't post images on Twitter right now, likely because the site's URL shortener/redirect service (https://t.co) is down. Don't want to be controversial, but I don't think this is good for https://Twitter.com.
6:02 PM · Mar 6, 2023
bob

Twitter

Post by bob »

A BBC conducted investigative report has suggested that Tesla Chief Elon Musk's Twitter is no more a safe space from cyber bullying.
My personal anecdote: some jerk* has a few bullying trolls. One even actively evades bans just to continue the harassment.

For me, it means nothing; I don't personally feel unsafe. My bullies are just aggrieved idiots. But someone tweeting under their actual name, or someone being harassed by a stalker with some doxxing skills, might feel differently.

* :whistle:
Image ImageImage
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Twitter fixes links outage that hit thousands of users

Reuters
March 6, 20237:41 PM GMT+1Last Updated an hour ago

(Reuters) - Thousands of Twitter users reported problems accessing links from the social media platform and other websites on Monday, before the Elon Musk-owned company said it had fixed the latest in a series of outages.

Musk tweeted that a small change with Twitter's data-access tool had caused the problem. "The code stack is extremely brittle for no good reason. Will ultimately need a complete rewrite," he said.

Downdetector, which tracks outages, reported more than 8,000 incidents of people reporting issues. The website collates status reports from a number of sources, including user-submitted errors on its platform.

Twitter's support account tweeted later on Monday that the issue was resolved and "things should be working as normal."

https://www.reuters.com/technology/twit ... 023-03-06/

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”