Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

X -Where Twitter goes to die.

boogiebach

Twitter

Post by boogiebach »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:33 pm
p0rtia wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:28 am
miss meh wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:46 pm Oh, it gets even better --- under Settings there's apparently now an "interests" section that's got pre-selected shit like Tesla, gun rights - even Ashli Babbit

Its taking me forever to un check everything.
I could not find this. Can you provide the path? Thanks!
Settings and Support, Settings and privacy, Privacy and safety, Content you see, Interests.
ha ha ha. so. I'm out on Twitter following the directions (thanks!) and I get a message "Twitter is over capacity" wait a few minutes and try again. So I did. and after I tried unchecking a few of the insane "interest" the message came up again. Elon Musk is an idiot.
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:eek:

It's always interesting when I see a book written by some idiot so I go out to Amazon to view comments. Then Amazon sends me emails suggesting that I might want to buy that idiotic book. :brickwallsmall:

So the same thing happens with the For You option in Twitter - and yes, Twitter switched me to that option. (I've switched back.) So I hadn't noticed that and I was reading my timeline and I see a tweet by Jonathan Turley. WTF? Above it Twitter has "Ron Filipkowski and Preet Bharara follow." Well, yeah, I follow Ron and Preet and I can just imagine why they follow Turley. They're keeping an eye on an idiot, they're NOT endorsing him. No, I am NOT going to follow Turley.
humblescribe
Verified:

Twitter

Post by humblescribe »

Lucky me!

I never signed up for Twitter. Glad I escaped its Siren song.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Twitter's laid-off workers cannot pursue claims via class-action lawsuit-judge

Sat, January 14, 2023 at 10:29 AM GMT+1

(Reuters) -Twitter Inc has secured a ruling allowing the social media company to force several laid-off workers suing over their termination to pursue their claims via individual arbitration than a class-action lawsuit.

U.S. District Judge James Donato on Friday ruled that five former Twitter employees pursuing a proposed class action accusing the company of failing to give adequate notice before laying them off after its acquisition by Elon Musk must pursue their claims in private arbitration.

Donato granted Twitter's request to force the five ex-employees to pursue their claims individually, citing agreements they signed with the company.

Twitter did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The San Francisco judge left for another day "as warranted by developments in the case" whether the entire class action lawsuit must be dismissed, though, as he noted three other former Twitter employees who alleged they had opted out of the company's arbitration agreement have joined the lawsuit after it was first filed.

The lawyer who represents the plaintiffs, Shannon Liss-Riordan, said on Monday that she had already filed 300 demands for arbitration on behalf of former Twitter employees and would likely file hundreds more.

Those workers all claim they have not received the full severance package promised by Twitter before Musk took over. Some have also alleged sex or disability discrimination.

Last year, Donato had ruled that Twitter must notify the thousands of workers who were laid off after its acquisition by Musk following a proposed class action accusing the company of failing to give adequate notice before terminating them.

The judge said that before asking workers to sign severance agreements waiving their ability to sue the company, Twitter must give them "a succinct and plainly worded notice".

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/twit ... 08762.html
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

Twitter can trash its agreements, but individual employees cannot. Makes sense. /sarcasm
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Twitter is considering selling usernames through online auctions, new report claims

Aisha Malik
Wed, January 11, 2023 at 9:08 PM GMT+1

Twitter is considering selling usernames as a way to boost revenue, according to a new report from The New York Times. The report comes as the social network's owner, Elon Musk, has been looking for ways to generate revenue for the company.

The report says engineers at the company have considered organizing online auctions where people can bid for usernames, also known as handles. The potential new revenue stream has been discussed since at least December. It's unknown if the idea will come to fruition, and if it does, it's unclear if the plan will affect all usernames or only some of them.

Last month, Musk said in a tweet that Twitter would soon start freeing up 1.5 billion usernames, noting that inactive accounts would be deleted. After acquiring the social network in October, Musk signaled in a tweet reply that he was interested in freeing up accounts with desired usernames.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/twit ... 12862.html
(original: TechCrunch)
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

humblescribe wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:25 pm Lucky me!

Ya, but its more sexy to be banned on twitter and STILL be banned.

That's what I tell myself anyway. And the women at the bar love it when I tell them! Right before the Police show up.
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Twitter

Post by Foggy »

Wait, let me get this straight.

Musk has 1.5 billion usernames (handles :lol: ) that are unused. Somebody created an account, but never used it. They didn't like Twitter. Or they decided they chose a stupid username, and chose another one instead. But basically, worthless, stupid accounts. Like I bet George Santos had a handle @anthonydevolder and a bunch more stupid names.

But now ... NOW! I can bid on any of those 1.5 billion handles that were so stupid nobody wanted to use them.

And I can change my bid to give the richest man in the world Elon Musk a lot more money for a stupid, worthless username (handle).

Then maybe he can be the richest man in the world again!

What an opportunity! :rotflmao:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

His money-making schemes remind me of Hoss and Little Joe's.
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

A simple auction? He ought to create his own cryptocurrency MUSKRATCOIN and auction the names off as NFTs, blockchain guaranteed unquiness :lol:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Twitter

Post by Foggy »

I bid one gazillion ameros for @elon_musk_is_a_silly_git.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
p0rtia

Twitter

Post by p0rtia »

One thing I can say about the "Following" choice on the Twitter: it eliminates all the Twitter Blue accounts. I had been blocking a couple dozen such accounts each day for the past couple of weeks, and was quite pleased that my feed cleaned up. Now there are no Twitter Blues at all, which is nice.

However, my feed is also full of tweets from people I do not follow, which are apparently there because they were liked by people I do follow. They come in packs, as many as ten posts, some a couple of weeks old.

Another thing I've noticed yesterday and today: I follow a lot of Ukraine accounts. They're largely gone.

My feed is different and low on stuff I'm interested in. I've started checking to see if I've been detached from people I follow. I haven't seen a pattern, though last week someone requested her followers to check and see if they had been detached, and indeed I had been.

Really only still on Twitter to monitor the insanity. Post and Mastodon for me.
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:36 am His money-making schemes remind me of Hoss and Little Joe's.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

Gregg wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:52 am
pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:36 am His money-making schemes remind me of Hoss and Little Joe's.
https://images.fineartamerica.com/image ... januar.jpg
Why are you showing a picture of the Insane one and not the one who is a Genius.

Oh, right.
Hic sunt dracones
humblescribe
Verified:

Twitter

Post by humblescribe »

Suranis wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:08 am
humblescribe wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:25 pm Lucky me!

Ya, but its more sexy to be banned on twitter and STILL be banned.

That's what I tell myself anyway. And the women at the bar love it when I tell them! Right before the Police show up.
On your tombstone:

Beneath This Spot
Of Grass and Glitter
We Find Suranis
Who was Banned from Twitter

Burma Shave

For those of you young-uns or from foreign lands:
569px-Burma_Shave_slogans-798937.jpg
569px-Burma_Shave_slogans-798937.jpg (66.15 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Twitter

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Bravo!! Encore!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
jemcanada2

Twitter

Post by jemcanada2 »

I just know about Burma Shave signs from the movie A River Runs Through It. :lovestruck: :lovestruck:
qbawl

Twitter

Post by qbawl »

Round the corner
Lickety-split
Beautiful car
Wasn't it‽
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

There were still a few on rt 50 between Sacramento and San Francisco when I was a kid. We’d ride in our Pontiac Tempest with the rear facing back seat and keep a lookout for them.
FiveAcres

Twitter

Post by FiveAcres »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:25 pm There were still a few on rt 50 between Sacramento and San Francisco when I was a kid. We’d ride in our Pontiac Tempest with the rear facing back seat and keep a lookout for them.
I think that I used to see them on the Maryland section of 50 when I was young. Very, very young.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Twitter ‘verified’ check marks bought by Taliban appear to have been removed
Afghanistan’s hardline Islamist rulers had never carried a verification tick mark before the launch of Twitter Blue

Ramon Antonio Vargas
Tue 17 Jan 2023 16.04 GMT

Twitter account verifications bought by the Taliban appear to have been removed, after many expressed outrage that the social media platform had given its blue check marks to Afghanistan’s hardline Islamist rulers.

Twitter previously only gave blue “verified” check marks to accounts that were considered “active, notable and authentic accounts of public interest”. But since Elon Musk acquired the platform last year, users can buy them from the Twitter Blue service for a fee – an option at least two officials of the Taliban government in Afghanistan had exercised.

The head of the Taliban’s department for “access to information”, Hedayatullah Hedayat, and its top media watchdog, Abdul Haq Hammad, each had blue ticks on their accounts as of Monday. The two men’s accounts have 187,000 and 170,000 followers each. Hedayat’s – which regularly publishes information about Taliban administration matters – had previously got its tick back after it was first removed in December.

The BBC reported on Monday that Hedayat and Hammad had successfully become Twitter Blue subscribers, allowing them to get verification marks that they and others in the Taliban had previously lacked.

One previous Taliban official praised Musk for the verifications and for “making Twitter great again”, according to the BBC report. But the report sparked outrage among many users who oppose the Taliban’s long record of human rights violations and its ties with violent terrorist organizations.

“Twitter Blue: Endorsed by the Taliban (laughing out loud),” wrote one user.

By Tuesday, the accounts of Hedayat and Hammad no longer carried the blue check marks. It was not clear whether Twitter or the users themselves removed the verifications.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ed-taliban

or did their credit card payment not go thru :think:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

Twitter is auctioning off all the stuff from their SF office, check it out: https://bid.hgpauction.com/auctions/842 ... tid=Zxz2cZ
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

The world is a gun and it is pointed at Elmo's head.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Twitter is reportedly struggling to break even as advertisers continue to flee
But media partners aren't going anywhere.

Will Shanklin·Contributing Reporter
Wed, January 18, 2023 at 7:54 PM GMT+1

Twitter’s ad business is reeling, with its daily revenue reportedly falling by 40 percent from a year ago. According to The Information, over 500 of the company’s top advertisers have paused spending on the platform since Elon Musk’s October takeover. Despite that, Twitter is still attracting and retaining media deals because it’s too lucrative for them to give it up.

Although Musk plans to diversify Twitter away from advertising, the company will likely struggle to break even this year. Since Twitter generated $1.2 billion in the first quarter of 2022, running 40 percent below that would mean it’s bringing in around $8 million daily (and about $720 million for the quarter). Getting in the black this year will depend on the company’s ability to generate $3 billion in revenue while paying $1.5 billion in annual interest from the debt Musk raised for the purchase.

The ad troubles could lead to more cost-cutting. Some big advertisers are reportedly unhappy with Musk’s approach to contact moderation, including reinstating Donald Trump and firing executives in charge of curbing hate speech. Twitter’s workforce has already shrunk by about 75 percent since Musk’s takeover, and it’s easy to imagine more layoffs on the horizon if the bleeding doesn’t stop.

However, Twitter can take some consolation in its ability to attract and retain media partners. According to Axios, the platform still has deals with over three dozen media companies, news outlets (including the Wall Street Journal, Reuters, Bloomberg, Forbes, Conde Nast and USA Today) and sports leagues (including the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, NASCAR and PGA Tour) in the first half of this year. They find Twitter too profitable to quit in an uncertain economy — even while balking at embracing it publicly.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/twit ... 25994.html
(original: Engadget)
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Twitter

Post by Slarti the White »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:24 pm
Twitter is reportedly struggling to break even as advertisers continue to flee
But media partners aren't going anywhere.

However, Twitter can take some consolation in its ability to attract and retain media partners. According to Axios, the platform still has deals with over three dozen media companies, news outlets (including the Wall Street Journal, Reuters, Bloomberg, Forbes, Conde Nast and USA Today) and sports leagues (including the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, NASCAR and PGA Tour) in the first half of this year. They find Twitter too profitable to quit in an uncertain economy — even while balking at embracing it publicly.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/twit ... 25994.html
(original: Engadget)
Does anyone know what the nature of these deals with media companies and sports leagues are? If both the the partners and Twitter are profiting, where does the money come from?

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”