Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

X -Where Twitter goes to die.

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:35 am With the massive cuts in workforce I keep wondering how long it will be before Twitter runs afoul of the GDPR (EU privacy regs). Unlike here in the U.S. where the laws aren't nearly so strict and the fines are frequently nothing more than a slap on the wrist, the EU doesn't play around.
The GDPR will not bring Twitter problems in the short term. As far as they wish they comply now and any revised regulations have a timeframe of several years for implementation (not that I am aware of any in the making). Twitter may have a problem with enforcement depending who has been let go. Enforcement would mean to check compliance of the way Twitter handles personal data collected and transferred out of the EU realm, that could happen when Twitter changes program code on the whim of the new owner.

Twitter has an EU subsidiary in Ireland for that purpose. "Twitter International Unlimited Company, an Irish commercial entity, is the controller of our data in the European Union, EFTA States, or the United Kingdom, so if you are located in the European Union, EFTA States, or the United Kingdom and you share data with Twitter, you share it with Twitter International Unlimited Company. "

see also: https://gdpr.twitter.com/en/faq.html

Apart from the GDPR privacy there are the privacy laws enacted varying by each country. There is no such thing in Europe like the 1st Amendment and the level of speech permited as in the USA. Divulging personal details of a person in public can quickly become a liability for the poster and therefore needs to be handled by the service provider (Twitter). The rules that defines slander and defamation are very strict, what may be acceptable in a family setting will become a criminal issue when spoken in a public setting such as on Twitter. The service needs to be able to track a statement back to the poster and reveal it to the investigating authorities.
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Some links I picked up about Twitter handling of their Irish subsidiary:

Twitter Expected To Fire Half Its 7,500 Employees

More than half of Twitter’s 500 Dublin staff to be axed in ‘random and indiscriminate’ culling

Twitter confirms 140 jobs to go from Irish operation

some quotes
Irish Examiner wrote:The Government has been formally notified by Twitter that it intends to lay off 140 of its Irish employees, Tánaiste Leo Varadkar has said.

Mr Varadkar said “at long last” the Government has received the redundancy notice, as legally required from Twitter, saying it intends to sack over a third of its staff.

“We did receive, at long last, the redundancy notice from Twitter today in the department. It's about 140 redundancies,” he said.
Business Plus wrote:Moira Grassick, COO at Peninsula Ireland, said any employees working in the Irish office facing redundancy could seek to enforce their rights under Irish and EU law if the relevant procedures are not followed prior to terminating their employment contract.

“Given the sudden nature of these job cuts, employees are likely to query why they have been selected for redundancy,“ she said.

“In a typical redundancy situation, the employer would need to be able to demonstrate that they used a fair and objective selection process to determine which employees to let go. This would include supporting paperwork recording why certain employees were selected for redundancy over others.”

Irish law requires that redundancy proposals should include a consultation procedure to allow those employees who are at risk of redundancy to participate in the process and suggest possible alternatives to redundancies.

“If reports are true, the scale of these redundancies will also bring it within the scope of the collective redundancy protections set out in the Protection of Employment Acts,” said Grassick.

“As the thresholds that trigger collective redundancy protection look likely to be exceeded, Twitter will need to consider if they have complied with the obligation to to engage in an information and consultation process with employees’ representatives, and to notify the Minister for Enterprise, Trade and Employment of the proposed collective redundancy.”

Grassick added that employers are prohibited from issuing any notice of redundancy during the mandatory employee information and consultation period and until 30 days have elapsed from the date on which the minister has been notified.
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

:lol:
Stephen King: Twitter’s only advertiser will soon be MyPillow. Here’s Elon Musk’s response.

Published: Nov. 23, 2022 at 11:16 a.m. ET
By Nicole Lyn PesceFollow

Here we go again — the bestselling author and the new Twitter owner have exchanged barbs online before
‘Pretty soon the only advertiser left on Twitter will be MyPillow.’

— Stephen King, on Twitter
That was master of horror and bestselling fiction writer Stephen King riffing on the parade of advertisers including GM GM, -0.11%, United Airlines UAL, 0.23% and Audi VOW, -1.69% pausing or scrapping their marketing on the social-media platform since Tesla TSLA, 5.52% and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk took over.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/steph ... 1669220182
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Hive gains 1 million users as Twitter users seek alternatives
Tue, November 22, 2022 at 5:06 PM

Yahoo Finance Live anchors discuss social media startup Hive gaining 1 million users amid turmoil at Twitter.

Video Transcript

BRAD SMITH: Capturing that post Twitter buzz, social media newcomer Hive is hiving off users from Twitter. The startup is racking up 1 million users and landing in the top 20 on the US App Store, according to TechCrunch. This after upheaval at Twitter. Admittedly, I am just now downloading and trying to install the app. So we'll see how it goes.

https://finance.yahoo.com/video/hive-ga ... 40021.html
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

DrConspiracy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:08 am I don't follow Twitter much, but I've looked at my feed for the past couple of weeks. What I'm seeing is a steady stream of propaganda, misinformation and hate speech. Including from:
  • @Jim_Jordan
  • @RepMTG (reinstated)
  • @MarkLevinShow
  • @DineshDSouza
And as much as I like Elon Musk's cars, I'm about to put him in the rightwing nutjob category.
Doc, It looks like mostly you are your own enemy. You curated the list of people you follow. My list has no nutjobs.

Dinesh and MTG... really? :faint:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

I blocked mtg before she had a chance to mess up my day. Same with Musk, osg, and any number of haters. I have a lot of people blocked.

Just do it, Doc.
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

Saw this on one of the replies. What is it about Narcissists that they think they can dance?

Hic sunt dracones
bob

Twitter

Post by bob »

neonzx wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:21 pm
DrConspiracy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:08 am I don't follow Twitter much, but I've looked at my feed for the past couple of weeks. What I'm seeing is a steady stream of propaganda, misinformation and hate speech. Including from:
  • @Jim_Jordan
  • @RepMTG (reinstated)
  • @MarkLevinShow
  • @DineshDSouza
And as much as I like Elon Musk's cars, I'm about to put him in the rightwing nutjob category.
Doc, It looks like mostly you are your own enemy. You curated the list of people you follow. My list has no nutjobs.

Dinesh and MTG... really? :faint:
The usual idiots also in one of my account's feeds. But too also: For those you follow, you can turn off their retweets.

So, for example, if you follow Mike Volin for the yukks :whistle: :bag: , and Volin constantly retweets D'Souza, turning off Volin's retweets will remove (that source of) D'Souza from your feed.

But twitter is, in no small part, what you make of it. One account of mine follows mostly nutters, and it is a hot dumpster inferno of stupidity. Another follows mostly artists, and it is mostly just pretty pictures and announcements.

A well-curated list of smart people with civil, insightful commentary is entirely possible.
Image ImageImage
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Suranis wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:42 pm Saw this on one of the replies. What is it about Narcissists that they think they can dance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0sJJU3FaOQ
Rumors have it that the engineers used this video to create Elons robot :twisted:
neonzx

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:17 pm
Suranis wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:42 pm Saw this on one of the replies. What is it about Narcissists that they think they can dance?

Rumors have it that the engineers used this video to create Elons robot :twisted:
Elon and Trump in a dance-off! Who would win? :twisted:
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

neonzx wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:20 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:17 pm

Elon and Trump in a dance-off! Who would win? :twisted:
Egads, that has to be a violation of some treaty or something.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

neonzx wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:20 pm Elon and Trump in a dance-off! Who would win? :twisted:
The American Epilepsy Society.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

:rimshot:
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:35 pm I blocked mtg before she had a chance to mess up my day. Same with Musk, osg, and any number of haters. I have a lot of people blocked.

Just do it, Doc.
I think I have close to 40,000 accounts blocked. At first I couldn't figure out how, then I remembered back in the day there was a site Wil Wheaton used where you could block people and share your list of blocks. I figured he's as good a judge as any of who should be blocked so signed up for his list. It was huge. And helpful. The tool seems to have disappeared but the effect stayed.
p0rtia

Twitter

Post by p0rtia »

Elon is Q. Star Trek Q, not Bond Q or Q Q.

Without the occasional displays of imitated humanity.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Slim Cognito »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:32 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:35 pm I blocked mtg before she had a chance to mess up my day. Same with Musk, osg, and any number of haters. I have a lot of people blocked.

Just do it, Doc.
I think I have close to 40,000 accounts blocked. At first I couldn't figure out how, then I remembered back in the day there was a site Wil Wheaton used where you could block people and share your list of blocks. I figured he's as good a judge as any of who should be blocked so signed up for his list. It was huge. And helpful. The tool seems to have disappeared but the effect stayed.
In days long past, when my blood pressure was low and I was feeling serene, I'd intentionally search for real you know who just to block all the people kissing his ass.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

p0rtia wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:10 pm Elon is Q. Star Trek Q, not Bond Q or Q Q.

Actually I find him scarily familiar to the Bond villain Gustav Graves played by Toby Stephens in Die Another Day

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Twitter

Post by Ben-Prime »

Gregg wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:46 pm
p0rtia wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:10 pm Elon is Q. Star Trek Q, not Bond Q or Q Q.

Actually I find him scarily familiar to the Bond villain Gustav Graves played by Toby Stephens in Die Another Day
I try not to think that, because Toby Stephens is one of my favorite actors. But you're not the first person to bring this up. I think the gemstone connection is really why.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
busterbunker

Twitter

Post by busterbunker »

This is not entertainment. It's time to choose your side.
neonzx

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

busterbunker wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:37 am This is not entertainment. It's time to choose your side.
I believe we are being very mature about the situation. And I think the sides have been chosen.

Mockery wins.

I'm pretty sure I learned it as a wee-lad on the back page of a Readers Digest-- Laughter Is The Best Medicine
Dr. Ken

Twitter

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

Does this mean I'll be unbanned? :confuzzled:
Hic sunt dracones
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

"The people" are the voices in his head, methinks.
Edit: Not in a mental illness way, but in a gargantuan ego way.
neonzx

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

Suranis wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:16 pm Does this mean I'll be unbanned? :confuzzled:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

I went from posting “hate speech”(before Musk) to “managing multiple accounts for the purpose of harassing people” (after Musk). Nothing changed except my situation got worse, not better. I’m not, for the record.

You should check to see what other crimes they think you committed.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”