X -Where Twitter goes to die.

Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

The thing about work visas is real. There are people there who are facing deportation if they lose their job so Elmo effectively owns them.

I'm not sure, but I think they aren't even free to just get another job, they'd have to leave the country and then apply for the work visa again from outside the US with the new employer sponsor.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
John Thomas8

Twitter

Post by John Thomas8 »

Gregg wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:44 pm The thing about work visas is real. There are people there who are facing deportation if they lose their job so Elmo effectively owns them.

I'm not sure, but I think they aren't even free to just get another job, they'd have to leave the country and then apply for the work visa again from outside the US with the new employer sponsor.
Folks on H1Bs are in a uniquely obnoxious spot.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

John Thomas8 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:53 pm
Gregg wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:44 pm The thing about work visas is real. There are people there who are facing deportation if they lose their job so Elmo effectively owns them.

Why,? Corporations have been bringing them in for decades... Laying off American tech workers and paying H1B1s half the salary.
John Thomas8

Twitter

Post by John Thomas8 »

neonzx wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:35 pm

Why,? Corporations have been bringing them in for decades... Laying off American tech workers and paying H1B1s half the salary.
If a H1B holder gets laid off, they can't just jump to the next gig here in the US. Not quite the same as getting laid off.
neonzx

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

John Thomas8 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:51 pm

If a H1B holder gets laid off, they can't just jump to the next gig here in the US. Not quite the same as getting laid off.
That's not what I said. Why are they here? Corporations don't what to pay Americans with the same skill set. H1B/H1B1s are cheaper.
John Thomas8

Twitter

Post by John Thomas8 »

neonzx wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:55 pm
That's not what I said. Why are they here? Corporations don't what to pay Americans with the same skill set. H1B1s are cheaper.
Of course US companies don't want to pay fair wages, that's their history.

US consumers don't want to pay what things cost to make, either, so it sucks sincerely on either end and the work force gets farked.

But ol' musky and his diseased little mind will run his H1Bs into the ground.
somerset

Twitter

Post by somerset »

It depends on the visa, but yes, most are tied to a single employer.
somerset

Twitter

Post by somerset »

Well, they can, assuming they can find a job with a company that will sponsor them ;) Some will, but many will not.
John Thomas8

Twitter

Post by John Thomas8 »

somerset wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:07 pm

Well, they can, assuming they can find a job with a company that will sponsor them ;) Some will, but many will not.
It did change. Used to be the end of the gig was end of the visa. I stand corrected.
Kendra

Twitter

Post by Kendra »

I've watched a bit of Fox the last 24 hours, and it seems their stance at the moment is how dare those overly privileged workers have fits and tantrums over having to go back to work at the office, but they are oblivious to the work hardcore 14 hour days and I haven't heard it mentioned at all. Isn't that the drop dead push back from the employees?
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Shizzle Popped »

That's not what I said. Why are they here? Corporations don't what to pay Americans with the same skill set. H1B/H1B1s are cheaper.
I spent the last decade of my career working at a Fortune 100 company as a System/IT Architect. Probably 80% of the programmers I worked with were from India. The vast majority of them were easy to get along with, productive, resourceful and, given a chance, creative. (The code we outsourced directly to India was less than desirable.) Were they cheaper than American tech workers? Yes, sort of. There are some serious costs associated with having people who become critical workers go back to India for a month every year right in the middle of a project. It's less than ideal.

There are other reasons we hired them though. We tried and did hire American programmers but I was in a lot of these interviews over the years and I'm not sure I would have hired some of them take my order at McDonalds. Frankly, I don't know how they graduated. Most we hired worked out just fine and we hired Americans workers frequently. However, we could never find enough of them to staff our large projects. They just didn't exist or they weren't willing to relocate to where we were (which was another issue).

Here's the thing though. Back in the '90s or '00s, I don't remember exactly when, business leaders in the U.S. were screaming at the government that we were going to need hundreds of thousands of new tech workers in the coming years. So, what did America do? Absolutely jack shit. What did India do? They fostered a huge increase in STEM education and encouraged people to go to school for it. When we needed those hundreds of thousands of tech workers we found a qualified pool of them in India. And that's why 20% or more of the tech workforce in this country comes from overseas.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Kriselda Gray »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:11 pmDOJ moves on TFG with no basis in law.
How so? I must have missed something...
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Musk has been shooting his own foot by discarding foreign workers with visas. Those visas are generally not obtained from one day to the other. So any recruitment of fresh foreign staff will be a long time in the doing. I also guess that the HR staffers expierienced in the tricky details of dealing with the government and US embassies overseas. The knowlege how workers get successfully issued visas and prepare the required red tape will be missing. The same can be said about the HR staffers that were the contacts to headhunters local and overseas. New relationships must be forged again. I don't know the US rules, but generally a nation will not issue work visas until the employer has shown he cannot find local staff.
Kendra

Twitter

Post by Kendra »

Donald Trump's Twitter account, which he used to organize a domestic terrorist attack against the United States Capitol in an effort to overthrow American democracy, has been reactivated by Elon Musk.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Now the SEC cannot complain, information after business hours of the stock markets. Let the trumpian entertainment and social media emporium stock crash on Monday. Thank you Obama .... ;)
neonzx

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

:shock:

June bug

Twitter

Post by June bug »

We are so screwed.
John Thomas8

Twitter

Post by John Thomas8 »

June bug wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:45 pm We are so screwed.
Yes. Yes we are.

The US is over, all hail the 4th Reich.

All the Dems had to do was use the 14th Amendment the way it was supposed to be used and this wouldn't be a mess.
[Dimetrodon]
Verified: ✅ From the Permian period!

Twitter

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Trump claims he will remain on Truth social, but I'm sure that's nonsense. Wingnuts have deep pockets so Elon is trying to get their money, and it unfortunately may pay off.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

Trump’s back but the latest on my suspension from twitter support is that I managed multiple accounts in order to harass people. :confuzzled:

This is so fucked up. I don’t even know if it’s my account they’re talking about cuz yeah. No I didn’t.
[Dimetrodon]

Twitter

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:43 pm Trump’s back but the latest on my suspension from twitter support is that I managed multiple accounts in order to harass people. :confuzzled:

This is so fucked up. I don’t even know if it’s my account they’re talking about cuz yeah. No I didn’t.
With all the people Musk fired, I would be surprised if the person who got back to you was even someone from that department.
John Thomas8

Twitter

Post by John Thomas8 »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:55 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:43 pm Trump’s back but the latest on my suspension from twitter support is that I managed multiple accounts in order to harass people. :confuzzled:

With all the people Musk fired, I would be surprised if the person who got back to you was even someone from that department.
That department doesn't exist any longer.
[Dimetrodon]

Twitter

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Another example of how Elon has no clue what he is doing. I don't get the mindset of his fanboys who still stand by the man, and think he is this expert, but if the last few years has taught me anything, it's that facts unfortunately no longer matter.
John Thomas8

Twitter

Post by John Thomas8 »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:03 pm Another example of how Elon has no clue what he is doing. I don't get the mindset of his fanboys who still stand by the man, and think he is this expert, but if the last few years has taught me anything, it's that facts unfortunately no longer matter.
No, no they don't, not in any way a sane person would understand.
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:28 pm

:snippity: What did India do? They fostered a huge increase in STEM education and encouraged people to go to school for it. When we needed those hundreds of thousands of tech workers we found a qualified pool of them in India. And that's why 20% or more of the tech workforce in this country comes from overseas.
An offshoot of that is India is the absolute capital of online/phone scams. Their is an actual model of "get older non tech savvy person on phone, get them to sign into bank account by saying you owe them a refund, use software to spoof their bank info and 'accidently" refund them $3500 instead of $35.
OH NO I'm gonna lose my job! You have to help me fix this by going out and buying $3465 worth of Best Buy Gift Cards and telling me the numbers on them" or something very close to that.
The scam always involves them making it look like on your computer that they sent you way too much money and they will lose there job if you don't help them correct it. For some reason, the company they work for only takes US Retail Gift Cards, because just reversing the mistake is unpossible.

There are You Tube Channels devoted to punking these scammers, always from India, where the score is measured by how long you can keep them on the line.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”