Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

X -Where Twitter goes to die.

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:24 am Yeah, and that'll happen when you put an untrained and unknowledgeable pilot in the seat, just because he bought the airplane.

What he said rings true. It's like a slow-motion airplane crash, and I'm sitting in the back rows, with my knees to my chest and feverishly grasping searching for the floatation cushion, and screaming "Cut costs! Fer gawd's sake, cut some major costs up there!"

:shock:

So at least we're on the same page. :batting:

Maybe turn off the engines, I think they use a lot of fuel, which costs money. :think:
That equippment was eliminated to save cost: less weight - less fuel burnt :twisted:
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 11:45 pm Word on the street is that after stopping payment on the Seattle office, Elmo has closed it and instructed employees there to work from home.
The flaw in that plan is two weeks ago he made them all move into their cubicles at work.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Shizzle Popped »

They'll all be next on the chopping block in his next round of cost savings.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:40 pm They'll all be next on the chopping block in his next round of cost savings.
Surprised he’s still paying server electric bills.
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:40 pm They'll all be next on the chopping block in his next round of cost savings.
I don't think it's legal to sell slaves anymore.

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Twitter

Post by Frater I*I »

Gregg wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:49 pm :snippity:
Ahhhh...but laws are for the plebeians...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Gregg wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:49 pm
Off Topic
Sort of.

Once upon a time I worked for a very large company that had one or more field offices in every state in the country. The new CEO decided all the field offices should be consolidated into the four corporate hubs. All the field office employees were told to relocate to a hub or they would have to leave the company. Most of them in the area I was in chose to leave but a sizeable percentage chose to relocate because the company had a past history of taking care of its employees. Well, the new CEO isn't like the old CEO. About a year later the company decided to do some serious downsizing and many of the first to go were those who had just recently relocated to keep their jobs.

This is what I fully expect will happen with this group of Twitter employees. First they will be told to relocate or leave. Then, when things continue to get worse they'll be let go anyway.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

I doubt anyone left at Twitter expects job security of even a day.
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

Bringing up Enron again, to avoid admitting they were letting people go from a loss making department, they told people they were being "relocated" and they had 30 days to find another department to work for. If they failed to find work then they would be let go. Or maybe classed as having retired...
Hic sunt dracones
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

Suranis wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:02 pm Bringing up Enron again, to avoid admitting they were letting people go from a loss making department, they told people they were being "relocated" and they had 30 days to find another department to work for. If they failed to find work then they would be let go. Or maybe classed as having retired...
Enron also had a brutal employee evaluation process that more or less fired the bottom 20% or some number every 6 months.

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Twitter

Post by keith »

Gregg wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:01 pm But what if, you had an insurance policy with a benefit of $5 billion and a premium of something a bit less. Structure the payments so you don't actually pay the premium until the estate is in probate or just before. So the estate is depleted for tax purposes and the proceeds of an insurance policy is non taxable.

And for any tax attorney reading this, I've have wondered for 20 years if the insurance policy to avoid probate would work, please tell me. :smoking:
IANAL of any kind. I am a computer programmer.

But that scheme sounds a lot like California Life who got bought out by EF Hutton and renamed E F Hutton Life Insurance. I understand the principles went to jail for tax fraud sometime in the mid eighties.

But I could be wrong, cause I was in Australia by then.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Twitter

Post by keith »

Life Insurance of California (renamed E.F. Hutton Life Insurance when they were bought) 'invented' Universal Life Insurance which sounds to me exactly sorta like what Gregg is discussing.

EDIT: Only you don't have to do the payment 'right before', it doesn't work that way, that would be an 'investment' and taxed.

Blog post: Why Life Insurance Is Not An Investment–It’s Way Better Than That
UNIVERSAL LIFE APPEARS

In 1980, E.F. Hutton wondered if there could be an alternate way to help clients manage their money. They recognized that there was only one financial repository that allowed people in America to accumulate their money totally tax free, as noted in Section 72(e) of the Internal Revenue Code. This vehicle also allows people to access money, totally tax-free, under Section 7702. And when they ultimately die, money left in the vehicle blossoms and transfers income-tax-free, under Section 101(a) of the Internal Revenue Code.

What was that financial instrument?

Life insurance.
I can't find any reference to the LICal principle's fall from grace, but the whole of E.F. Hutton was blown up on a check kiting scheme that went through the entire EFH group. I don't think anybody went to jail over that at the federal level, but maybe California had different ideas.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
jcolvin2
Verified:

Twitter

Post by jcolvin2 »

But what if, you had an insurance policy with a benefit of $5 billion and a premium of something a bit less. Structure the payments so you don't actually pay the premium until the estate is in probate or just before. So the estate is depleted for tax purposes and the proceeds of an insurance policy is non taxable.

And for any tax attorney reading this, I've have wondered for 20 years if the insurance policy to avoid probate would work, please tell me. :smoking:
Did somebody say tax lawyer?

Something similar was attempted back in the 1930s. In Helvering v. La Gierse, 312 U.S. 531 (1941), the Supreme Court held that a life insurance contract arrangement that did not involve a real mortality risk assumed by an insurance company was not a contract of insurance for purposes of the life insurance exclusion. (The facts in La Gierse were somewhat more complicated, involving an annuity that was purchased along with the insurance, but the principle holds.) Subsequently, Congress defined life insurance in a rather technical manner, requiring a certain magnitude of death benefit relative to the investment component of the policy. (For this reason, policies issued by foreign life insurance companies may fail to meet the definition, and be subject to current tax on policy growth.)

Your plan also would not avoid estate tax. The estate tax is imposed on assets held on the date of death, net of the decedent’s liabilities. I do not think the estate’s obligation to fund an otherwise unfunded life insurance policy would reduce the gross estate; it would be treated as an investment. So the estate would end up paying estate tax on the full $5 billion.

While I am not an estate planner, I do see many estate plans involving the purchase of life insurance by trusts, especially where the bulk of the estate is composed of non-liquid assets. The decedent has typically paid the premiums as life time gifts to the beneficiaries of the trust so that the beneficiaries will have sufficient liquid assets to pay the estate tax (and not be required to sell a non-liquid asset at a fire sale price).
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/stat ... 4219601920
Ron Filipkowski 🇺🇦@RonFilipkowski
Elon, with his impeccable sense of timing, just dropped his next big ‘Twitter Files’ installment. Should get lots of traction.
8:42 PM · Jan 3, 2023
Almost 24 hours ago. Did you notice? :dance:
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

:cantlook: in my fast reading I made it the ‘Twitter Flies’ :oldman:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

Elon Musk's Twitter Sued by Landlord Over Unpaid Rent at San Francisco Office
Twitter owes $136,260 in overdue rent on its offices on the 30th floor of a building in downtown in San Francisco, according to a lawsuit filed by the building's landlord last week.

Elon Musk is trying to slash expenses at Twitter as close to zero as possible while his personal wealth shrinks — and this apparently has included falling behind on rent payments at the company's offices.

Twitter owes $136,260 in overdue rent on its offices on the 30th floor of a building in downtown in San Francisco, according to a lawsuit filed by the building's landlord last week.

The landlord at 650 California St., which is not Twitter's main San Francisco headquarters, served a notice to the social media company on Dec. 16 informing it that it would be in default if it didn't pay within five days. The five days elapsed without payment, according to the lawsuit.

The landlord, Columbia REIT 650 California LLC, is seeking damages totaling the back rent, as well as attorney fees and other expenses. Twitter signed a seven-year lease for the offices in 2017. The monthly rent was $107,526.50 in the first full year and increase gradually to $128,397 per month in the seventh year.
:snippity:
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/nationa ... s/3035979/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Twitter

Post by Foggy »

Elon will simply buy San Francisco and teach them a thing or three. :?
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

Foggy wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:34 pm Elon will simply buy San Francisco and teach them a thing or three. :?
Elmo is trying to challege Trump as a deadbeat. He may buy San Francisco, but he won't pay for it.

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

A Malodorous Musk: Twitter employees beg for toilet paper and report a wafting stench on Slack as Elon Musk cuts back on office facilities staff
Elon Musk's drastic cost cutting at Twitter has some unexpected consequences for employees, including smelly bathrooms and no toilet paper.

Over the last three days, staff in Twitter's office in the Chelsea neighborhood of New York City have been seeing the effects of the billionaire's decision to not renegotiate the contracts of facilities maintenance workers who handled in-office supplies and cleaning. Odors from uncleaned bathrooms and several clogged toilets are creeping into hallways and work spaces, according to two people familiar with the stinky situation and messages seen by Insider.

Toilet paper is nowhere to be found in the office, said these people, who asked not to be identified discussing noxious topics. Meanwhile, Musk still requires nearly everyone to work in the office five days a week.
https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-mu ... ack-2023-1
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

this breach was reported earlier, fresh (non-)info
Hackers reportedly leak email addresses of more than 200 million Twitter users
Information posted on a hacking forum in ‘one of the most significant’ breaches of users’ email addresses and phone numbers

Reuters
Fri 6 Jan 2023 03.14 GMT

Hackers stole the email addresses of more than 200 million Twitter users and posted them on an online hacking forum, a security researcher said Wednesday.

The breach “will unfortunately lead to a lot of hacking, targeted phishing and doxxing”, Alon Gal, co-founder of Israeli cybersecurity monitoring firm Hudson Rock, wrote on LinkedIn. He called it “one of the most significant leaks I’ve seen”.

Twitter has not commented on the report, which Gal first posted about on social media on 24 December, nor responded to inquiries about the breach since that date. It was not clear what action, if any, Twitter has taken to investigate or remediate the issue.

Reuters could not independently verify if the data on the forum was authentic and came from Twitter. Screenshots of the hacker forum, where the data appeared on Wednesday, have circulated online.

Troy Hunt, creator of breach notification site Have I Been Pwned, viewed the leaked data and said on Twitter that it seemed “pretty much what it’s been described as”.

There were no clues to the identity or location of the hacker or hackers behind the breach. It may have taken place as early as 2021, which was before Elon Musk took over ownership of the company last year.

Claims about the size and scope of the breach initially varied with early accounts in December saying 400m email addresses and phone numbers were stolen.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ne-numbers
Volkonski
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Volkonski »

Reuters :verified:
@reuters@news.twtr.plus
Germany tells Musk it expects Twitter to fight disinformation http://reut.rs/3X9AqJZ

https://news.twtr.plus/users/reuters/st ... 0384176162
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:42 pm Reuters :verified:
@reuters@news.twtr.plus
Germany tells Musk it expects Twitter to fight disinformation http://reut.rs/3X9AqJZ

https://news.twtr.plus/users/reuters/st ... 0384176162

Seeing as the point of Twitter is disinformation, that might be a problem. :rotflmao:

Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Twitter

Post by Greatgrey »

Here’s something I didn’t expect…

I have identified 14 tweets mentioning PASTOR MANNING that were amplified by problematic accounts. More information here: https://botsentinel.com/trending-topics ... rd-phrases

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Twitter

Post by Frater I*I »

Greatgrey wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:19 pm Here’s something I didn’t expect…

I have identified 14 tweets mentioning PASTOR MANNING that were amplified by problematic accounts. More information here: https://botsentinel.com/trending-topics ... rd-phrases

Pasture Manning, there's someone I haven't heard about in a while....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
GlimDropper

Twitter

Post by GlimDropper »

Bot Sentinel is a fraud.

They claim a 95% accuracy rate but when informed third parties review it the accuracy is closer to 5-10%. It doesn't seem to be able to find bots but it's exceptionally good at finding twitter posts that run contrary to it's owner, Christopher Bouzy's personal politics.

That and bot sentinel seems remarkable good at finding critical tweets that run against the perceived best interest of Bouzy's employer du jour. Almost as if he arbitrarily inflated bot-o-matic scores of people expressing their personal opinions on Twitter when that opinion runs contrary to the interests of his employer.

All that and Christopher Bouzy seems to find it important to defame his critics. He's facing no fewer than two defamation suits at this time. He also seems adept at dodging process servers. This may buy him some time but will not end his legal problems.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”