Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Recycling

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Recycling

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

IDKIDK

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/ ... r-AA103JsY

Sprite is retiring its iconic green plastic bottle after more than 60 years

Sprite is ditching its iconic green plastic bottle in favor of more sustainable clear bottles, its parent company, The Coca-Cola Company, announced Wednesday.

The new design will start Aug. 1 and is part of an effort to “support a circular economy for plastic packaging," The Coca-Cola Company said in a statement.

Although the green polyethylene terephthalate (PET) packaging Sprite bottles are currently made of is recyclable, because of its color, it's separated from other clear items to avoid discoloring material used to make new PET bottles.

R3CYCLE, a reprocessing company working with Coca-Cola Consolidated to enable bottle-to-bottle recycling across the U.S., praised the decision.

“Taking colors out of bottles improves the quality of the recycled material,” Julian Ochoa, R3CYCLE CEO, said in a statement. “This transition will help increase availability of food-grade rPET. When recycled, clear PET Sprite bottles can be remade into bottles, helping drive a circular economy for plastic.”

Sprite will also revamp its logo and will feature a prominent "Recycle Me" message, along with the new packaging design. But its green legacy will live on with the bottle's packaging graphics and in keeping its recognizable green cap.

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
humblescribe
Verified:

Re: Recycling

Post by humblescribe »

They could bring back returnable green glass bottles that have a 20-cent deposit per bottle.

:lol:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
MsDaisy
Verified:

Re: Recycling

Post by MsDaisy »

humblescribe wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:08 pm They could bring back returnable green glass bottles that have a 20-cent deposit per bottle.

:lol:
Stella.png
Stella.png (94.65 KiB) Viewed 2011 times
:oldlady: :lol:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Recycling

https://puratium.com/peace-silk/
Everything To Know About Peace Silk(Ahimsa Silk)

Peace silk, otherwise known as ahimsa silk, is a fabric many sustainable brands use as a non-violent alternative to conventional silk.

As we’ll soon find out, silk production is actually pretty scary. The silkworm dies in the process while it hasn’t even spread its wings yet.

But as we dug deeper into what peace silk is like as a fabric, we found plenty of surprising (and frustrating) aspects of its production.

Peace silk, also often called ahimsa silk, is a silk product made without harming animals. Hence, its moniker “ahimsa,” a term used in Hinduism and Buddhism to refer to nonviolence towards others, not just humans but all living beings.

Ahimsa silk can be made from any silk (which we’ll talk more about in a bit). The key difference between conventional silk and peace silk is that silkworms are not killed during peace silk production.
► Show Spoiler
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Recycling

Post by AndyinPA »

Interesting. I bought my daughter a silk blouse for Christmas. I forgot about the process. :bag: Her vegan husband is not going to be happy.

I haven't had silk in my wardrobe for a long time because of the care involved. I learned to live with cashmere a long time ago and had many pieces. Cashmere is actually much softer and nicer if you handwash or put it in a laundry bag in the delicate cycle and let it dry flat. About five or six years ago, I began to get allergic to some things, like perfume/cologne and cashmere or other types of wool. Sadly, I had to give away all my cashmere. Can't wear llama anymore, but I can still wear some alpaca.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Recycling

Post by Foggy »

Oh man, we can't let the conservatives find out about this one.

Those libs are crying about worms dying! Next they'll want to protect the precious housefly!

Prove me wrong. :boxing:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Azastan
Verified:

Recycling

Post by Azastan »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:04 am

The cocoon, as a result, ends up being broken, with the threads cut and much, much shorter than conventional silk threads. Thus, any silk made from this process is spun and not reeled. You may think of it as closer to how other fabrics like cotton and linen are made.

Ahimsa silk has been around for centuries, just not with the fancy name.

Silk waste is spun, and contains irregular spots, known as slubs. Dupioni is an example of a slubbed silk fabric.
humblescribe
Verified:

Recycling

Post by humblescribe »

I'll try, Foggy.

You see, those libs would be wrong to describe the larvae inside the cocoon as a worm. Moth larvae are caterpillars, and caterpillars aren't worms. :fingerwag: Worms belong to a number of phyla, including annelids (earthworms and leeches), nematodes (roundworms), and flatworms (platyhelminthes). Those of you who have dogs may apply or give them an anthelmintic for heartworm or tapeworm or ringworm.

Unlike insects, worms do not undergo metamorphosis.

We know that the libs try their darndest to be ackrit. But they do yield to popular opinion and traditional mislabeling of common items. Personally, I think calling the larvae a silkworm is a nefarious right-wing plot to smear all the good true worms out there doing their best to recycle and improve Mother Earth.

I have never seen a house fly, except in the early scenes of "The Wizard of Oz." :lol:
Azastan
Verified:

Recycling

Post by Azastan »

humblescribe wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:01 pm ... ringworm.
:fingerwag:

Ringworm is not caused by any worms.
sugar magnolia

Recycling

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:49 am Interesting. I bought my daughter a silk blouse for Christmas. I forgot about the process. :bag: Her vegan husband is not going to be happy.

I haven't had silk in my wardrobe for a long time because of the care involved. I learned to live with cashmere a long time ago and had many pieces. Cashmere is actually much softer and nicer if you handwash or put it in a laundry bag in the delicate cycle and let it dry flat. About five or six years ago, I began to get allergic to some things, like perfume/cologne and cashmere or other types of wool. Sadly, I had to give away all my cashmere. Can't wear llama anymore, but I can still wear some alpaca.
Curious what special care silk involves? I throw mine in the washer and dryer and frequently upcycle it into clothing with t-shirts and cotton knit.

As a Suzy Homemaker aside, the best way to get a water stain out of silk is to wet the whole item.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Recycling

Post by AndyinPA »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:47 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:49 am Interesting. I bought my daughter a silk blouse for Christmas. I forgot about the process. :bag: Her vegan husband is not going to be happy.

Curious what special care silk involves? I throw mine in the washer and dryer and frequently upcycle it into clothing with t-shirts and cotton knit.

As a Suzy Homemaker aside, the best way to get a water stain out of silk is to wet the whole item.
It's a long time since I've worn silk, but I think it might have been about ironing it. I don't even know where my iron is. :confuzzled:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Recycling

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:49 pm Oh man, we can't let the conservatives find out about this one.

Those libs are crying about worms dying! Next they'll want to protect the precious housefly!

Prove me wrong. :boxing:
Silk worms dying is one thing, but did you notice that they kill the cocoon instead?

That's ABORTION!
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Recycling

Post by keith »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:47 pm

Yeah, I've got silk shirts I bought in Sri Lanka 10 years ago in perfect condition - and I do the same thing - washing machine - normal cycle - 40c temp. Except I've only had a dryer for 6 months and I don't think I've worn it over winter. I've got some silk pants I got in Thailand 15 years ago too. Washing machine on normal cycle in 40c.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
humblescribe
Verified:

Recycling

Post by humblescribe »

Azastan wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:40 pm

Oops, my bad. I meant to write roundworm. My digits got carried away before my brain became engaged. We'll just get a good, old-fashioned fungicide for the dreaded ringworm.

Funny how colloquial language has developed with scores of misnomers that are generally accepted as correct until one delves deeper into the situation.

I beg for your mercy. :towel:
Azastan
Verified:

Recycling

Post by Azastan »

humblescribe wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:51 pm
Azastan wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:40 pm

Oops, my bad. I meant to write roundworm. My digits got carried away before my brain became engaged. We'll just get a good, old-fashioned fungicide for the dreaded ringworm.

Funny how colloquial language has developed with scores of misnomers that are generally accepted as correct until one delves deeper into the situation.

I beg for your mercy. :towel:
You know, half the time I only know this stuff because I rescue animals. Sometimes I will have literally just looked something up, or talked to my veterinarian about a specific problem (see my post in the Horses and Other Pets about botulism), so it's always interesting to me that because I am thinking about it, I will pick up on it somewhere!

Anyway, I figured you actually meant roundworms, and you are totally forgiven (because it happens to all of us at some point LOL).
Tiredretiredlawyer

Recycling

https://www.axios.com/local/nw-arkansas ... stic-waste
Walmart to cut plastic and reduce waste in e-commerce

Walmart kicked off its annual shareholders' and associate celebration on Wednesday, where more than 10,000 employees from around the world convened to tour stores and see headquarters.

Catch up quick: The weeklong event is also when shareholders get business updates and vote on proposals to shape the company's future.

Here's what happened on Day 1:

1. The company is set to announce initiatives to reduce waste and use of plastic in its online business, including:

Switching from plastic mailer envelopes to recyclable paper mailers by the end of the year;

Rolling out technology in its fulfillment centers to help "right-size" cardboard shipping boxes so a single item isn't sent in a too-large container;

Offering customers the option to consolidate their online shipments;

Giving customers the ability to opt out of single-use plastic bags used in online pick-up orders across the U.S. by the end of the year.

Between the lines: The changes aim to make it easier for customers to recycle and potentially eliminate from circulation millions of single-use bags.

The company claims the move to paper mailers will eliminate 65 million plastic envelopes — or 2,000 tons of plastic — by the end of its fiscal 2023, which ends in January 2024.

Between the lines: The changes aim to make it easier for customers to recycle and potentially eliminate from circulation millions of single-use bags.

The company claims the move to paper mailers will eliminate 65 million plastic envelopes — or 2,000 tons of plastic — by the end of its fiscal 2023, which ends in January 2024.

Zoom out: Walmart has stated sustainability goals of zero waste in its operations in key markets and for 100% of its private brand packaging to be recyclable, reusable, or compostable by 2025.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Recycling

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... r-AA1cPcuN
Mastercard launches global plan to recycle credit cards

LONDON (Reuters) - Payments company Mastercard on Wednesday launched a global project to recycle credit and debit cards as part of a plan to save the billions of cards in circulation across the industry from landfill.

Initially partnering with British lender HSBC Holdings Plc in eight branches in Britain, Mastercard said banks across the world, some of which have launched local initiatives, would be able to join the programme and help build economies of scale.

"We are inviting all card issuers around the world to partner with us, no matter what region they are in, and offer card recycling to their customers," said Ajay Bhalla, president of cyber and intelligence at Mastercard Inc.

Under the plan, Mastercard will provide shredding machines to HSBC, each of which is capable of holding 10,000 cards, equivalent to 50 kg (110 pounds) of plastic. Once full, it will be transferred to a plastic recycling facility.

Financial details about the plan were not disclosed. The pilot project, which will run for an initial six months, will allow customers to recycle any plastic card, including those from rivals.

"This recycling pilot will provide us with some very important insight and will inform our longer-term plans," said Jose Carvalho, head of wealth and personal banking at HSBC UK.

Currently, Mastercard said it has around 3.1 billion cards in circulation. Each year, it estimates around 600 million cards are produced by the industry, each with a life span of around five years.

The Nilson Report, which analyses the industry, put total cards in circulation at nearly 26 billion in 2022, and forecast that could rise to 28.4 billion by 2027.

Soaring plastic use has created one of the world's biggest environmental challenges, with plastic waste buried in landfills or polluting rivers and oceans. The manufacturing process for plastic is also a major source of planet-warming greenhouse gas.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Recycling

Post by RTH10260 »

What happened to thousands of defunct Spin scooters

News 5 Cleveland
12 Jan 2024

A pile of broken scooters electric scooters seems never ending. Ben Baker owns Summit e-Waste, an electronic recycling facility. In August, Baker took on the slew of Spin scooters.

Return to “Pollution and Extinction of Species”