Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Post Roe Abortion Problems

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

He looks like HG Nelson in that photo.

Better make this explanation of who HG is off topic I suppose
Off Topic
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

7332DADB-8A7B-4245-B687-293370E1372A.jpeg
7332DADB-8A7B-4245-B687-293370E1372A.jpeg (238.69 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Heard something interesting on talk radio this morning. They were twisting the language around abortion on its head. "Pro-abortion" was referred to as "anti-abortion being illegal," while "anti-abortion" was referred to as "pro-abortion being illegal." Neither here nor there, but an interesting framing of the debate IMO.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Elections have consequences, Eric Swalwell ad.
raison de arizona

$%&^#*^%*&#@@&#* :cussing: :fuckyou: :mad2:
MY PREGNANCY VS. THE STATE OF TEXAS
“The loss of my daughter was inevitable. What happened next was not.”
BY AMANDA ZURAWSKI
I was 18 weeks pregnant when I knew something was wrong. My body was leaking thick and yellowish discharge, and my pelvis felt what I could only describe as abnormally “open.”

A shockingly brief examination later, I was diagnosed with an “incompetent cervix”—a condition in which the cervix prematurely dilates, usually during the second trimester of pregnancy and often leading to premature birth.

The loss of my daughter, I was told, was inevitable. What happened next was not.

It was evident from the moment my doctor saw my bulging amniotic sac that this was not a question of if I would lose my baby—the baby my husband and I wanted so badly and had worked for 18 months with the help of science and medicine to conceive. It was a question of when.

If we had conceived the previous year when we began our journey with infertility, or if we lived in a different state, my healthcare team would have been able to treat me immediately and end my doomed pregnancy as soon as possible, without risk to my life or my health. I wouldn’t have had to wait in anguish for days for the inescapable ill fate that awaited. But this was August 23, 2022, in the state of Texas, where abortion is illegal unless the pregnant person is facing “a life-threatening physical condition aggravated by, caused by, or arising from a pregnancy.” Somehow, any medical help to make the horrific inevitability of losing my beloved child 22 weeks early less difficult qualified as an illegal abortion.

My doctor outlined the roadmap in no uncertain terms: I could wait however long it took to go into labor naturally, if I did at all, knowing that my baby would be stillborn or pass away soon after; I could wait for my baby’s heartbeat to stop, and then we could end the pregnancy; or—most alarmingly—I could develop an infection and become so sick that my life would become endangered. Not until one of those things happened would a single medical professional in the state of Texas legally be allowed to act. It was a waiting game, the most horrific version of a staring contest: Whose life would end first? Mine, or my daughter’s?

I knew I was going to lose my baby. And I knew it could be days—or weeks—of living with paralyzing agony before we could move forward.

People have asked why we didn’t get on a plane or in our car to go to a state where the laws aren’t so restrictive. But we live in the middle of Texas, and the nearest “sanctuary” state is at least an 8-hour drive. Developing sepsis—which can kill quickly—in a car in the middle of the West Texas desert, or 30,000 feet above the ground, is a death sentence, and it’s not a choice we should have had to even consider. But we did, albeit briefly.

Instead, it took three days at home until I became sick “enough” that the ethics board at our hospital agreed we could legally begin medical treatment; three days until my life was considered at-risk “enough” for the inevitable premature delivery of my daughter to be performed; three days until the doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals were allowed to do their jobs.

By the time I was permitted to deliver, a rapidly spreading infection had already claimed my daughter’s life and was in the process of claiming mine.

I developed a raging fever and dangerously low blood pressure and was rushed to the ICU with sepsis. Tests found both my blood and my placenta teeming with bacteria that had multiplied, probably as a result of the wait. I would stay in the ICU for three more days as medical professionals battled to save my life.

Friends visited every night. Family flew in from across the country. I didn’t realize until nearly a month later that my doctors, nurses, and loved ones feared I was going to die.

We still don’t know the extent of damage the wait or the infection had on my body. I’m facing months of procedures and tests to know whether my eggs or my reproductive system were permanently harmed. In fact, later this week I’m having surgery to remove the massive amount of scar tissue plaguing my uterus as a result of the infections. We don’t know yet whether the baby we want more than anything will ever be possible.

Everything that happened after my cervix dilated was avoidable
, and it never should have happened. What’s worse is I’m not the only one. This will happen to many women—of all races, all ethnicities, all ages, all across the country—if we don’t fight back.
:snippity:
https://wearethemeteor.com/texas-aborti ... scarrying/
raison de arizona

:fuckyou: we're going to start reading these stories constantly, as the worm turns
After Missouri banned abortions, she was left 'with a baby dying inside.' Doctors said they could do nothing.
When her water broke early, doctors told Mylissa Farmer that her health was at risk. She had to travel to an abortion clinic in Illinois for care.

At 6:30 a.m. on August 2, nearly 18 weeks into her pregnancy, Mylissa Farmer experienced what doctors call a preterm premature rupture of membranes — her water broke before labor, followed by vaginal bleeding, abdominal pressure and cramping.

She went to Freeman Hospital in Joplin, where she'd been just the day before. Everything had been normal then. She and her boyfriend, Matthew McNeill, had already picked out a name for their daughter: Maeve.

But the doctors had devastating news for them on Aug. 2.

If Maeve was delivered right then, chances of survival at 17 weeks and 5 days were zero, according to the assessment and plan section of Farmer's medical records outlining the visit. And the outcome wasn't much better if they tried to hold off on delivery.

The doctors recommended terminating the pregnancy, but 39 days after the state of Missouri banned abortions, that wasn't an option, at least not in Missouri.

A year ago, the hospital could have offered a chance for the couple to say goodbye and hold their daughter, even though they knew she wouldn't survive outside the womb.

Instead, Farmer and McNeill were left to make a series of trips across three states and countless phone calls.

The couple wanted to be able to grieve the loss of their daughter, not sit at home or in a hospital "with a baby dying inside me," Farmer said.

"I know it sounds horrible, but we just wanted to finish the process," she said.

In the end, Farmer didn't just lose Maeve; she lost her friends and her trust that Missouri would allow medical professionals to do their jobs.

"It was hard. You could tell the doctors were trying to tell us what we needed to do, but at the same time, trying to protect themselves. We’re not angry with them," Farmer said.

More:GoFundMe set up for Art Hains' family as broadcaster continues to battle West Nile Virus

If her vitals plummeted or infection set in, or the fetus' cardiac activity stopped, the doctors could intervene, but not before then.

"We discussed that the current Missouri law supercedes (sic) our medical judgement and the MO law language states that we cannot intervene in the setting of a pregnancy with a positive fetal heart motion unless there is a 'medical emergency,'" reads Farmer's medical record from that Aug. 2 visit.
Doctors suggested she and McNeill travel out of state to receive care. But after calling four hospitals in Illinois and three in Kansas, it seemed no one would take them.

They even drove out to Kansas University Medical Center in Kansas City, Kansas, that same day, where she said doctors told her the same thing she'd heard in Joplin: "This child is not viable. Your health is at risk."

But after consulting with their legal team, Farmer said they told her that they wouldn't be able to offer a dilation and evacuation procedure.

"A NICU doctor came in and this is what really kind of set us," Farmer said. "He went over the whole baby being deformed because their bones are so soft, she would have permanent disabilities the rest of her life even if she made it. But he said because my cervix was open, there was no chance for me to even make it 6 weeks.

"The thing he said was, 'There are things worse than death, and I have seen it.'"
https://www.news-leader.com/story/news/ ... 366865002/
raison de arizona

Justin Baragona @justinbaragona wrote: Dana Perino: "Chuck Schumer says we’re going to go after MAGA Republicans by having a bill to codify Roe v. Wade. Kind of weird, the Supreme Court said there’s no constitutional right to abortion. But go ahead, pass the bill, have the Supreme Court knock it down again, fine."
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Because the heart of this article are the photos, I'll just post a link to the article and their photo of the gestational sac with embryo at 8 weeks. Not exactly an identifiable baby. Or even fetus.

What a pregnancy actually looks like before 10 weeks – in pictures

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Interesting photos.

I read an article earlier this year about the female body's protective processes--as in the body actually reacting to the pregnancy as an invader taking over the body. I've looked for it several times and can't find it. It was a very different take on a pregnancy.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Female members of the armed services to travel cargo as disguise? :twisted:
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

8 minutes, but it goes by fast. :mad:

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Health care should be a fundamental right and shouldn't depend on what state you live in. You shouldn't have to move every time your state legislature makes a bad decision based on its members' biases.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona

Sam Youngman @samyoungman wrote: “Ok so we voted to fix that dang pothole on Elm. Up next on the city council’s agenda: Should Jennifer survive her ectopic pregnancy?”
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Sitting at home with a ticking time bomb ectopic pregnancy, waiting for the tube to burst, hoping you won't bleed out before the ambulance arrives is like being taken hostage by a crazed kidnapper and praying he lets you go instead of shooting you in the head. Maybe he will..... Maybe he won't. You won't know until it happens. That's agony.

No, I'm not exaggerating. Women are living this every day now.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Women are dying with this every day now. Just as the Republicans and the religious fanatic forced-birthers intended.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Change approved.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/1 ... ant-people
Los Angeles City Council passes measure to stop 'pro-life' clinics from misleading pregnant people

Following the fall of Roe v. Wade, abortion clinics across the country have been forced to close. As a result, individuals seeking abortions in states that no longer provide such services were forced to travel across state lines. Taking advantage of this and those in need of abortion care, several “pro-life” facilities masked themselves as pro-choice and falsely advertised the services they provide, including abortion and contraceptives. To stop this practice, the Los Angeles City Council approved an ordinance on Tuesday prohibiting pregnancy centers from misleading people about the reproductive health services they provide.

Proposed by City Attorney Mike Feuer, the measure takes effect immediately under an urgency clause, and will be enforced with fines of $10,000 per violation. According to LAist, the ordinance will also allow victims to sue for compensation if they believe the clinics have misled them.

A rise in false advertising of reproductive health services across the country prompted the measure to be introduced. Feuer told city council members that some anti-abortion organizations masked as crisis pregnancy centers target low-income people and use false advertising to make pregnant people believe they provide abortion services when they do not. Once the people are inside such facilities, they are pressured into keeping the pregnancy and not getting an abortion, noting it is a "very stressful physical and emotional moment in their lives."
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... verturned/
A Fulton County judge has overturned Georgia’s six-week abortion ban, ruling that two key parts of the law “were plainly unconstitutional when drafted, voted upon, and enacted” and writing that the law cannot be enforced.

The ruling Tuesday by Fulton County Superior Court Judge Robert McBurney stemmed from a lawsuit that argued the state’s “heartbeat bill” violated pregnant people’s rights to liberty and privacy rights under the state constitution.

Georgia’s ban has been in effect since July. Kara Richardson, a spokeswoman for Georgia’s attorney general, told Axios that the state will “pursue an immediate appeal and will continue to fulfill our duty to defend the laws of our state in court.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

And from the home of Dobbs.....
https://www.wlbt.com/2022/11/15/pro-lif ... valid-yet/
JACKSON, Miss. (WLBT) - A group of pro-life doctors fears Mississippi’s abortion ban may not be valid just yet.

The Mississippi Justice Institute (MJI) filed a lawsuit Monday in hopes of making sure it is.

MJI is the legal arm of the Mississippi Center for Public Policy and is representing the American Association of Pro-Life Obstetricians and Gynecologists (AAPLOG) in this suit.

Aaron Rice, the director of MJI, said he’s not so sure the state’s trigger law is valid, and it’s all because of a 1998 Mississippi Supreme Court opinion called Pro-Choice Mississippi v. Fordice.

The opinion holds that abortion is a right protected by the state constitution.

Rice said this legal uncertainty has placed the state’s physicians in an impossible “Catch-22.”

“We’re in a situation where elective abortions appear to be both statutorily illegal but a constitutional right, according to this 1998 Mississippi Supreme Court opinion,” he said.

Aside from clarifying state law, Rice said the lawsuit also aims to protect doctors from possible punishment by medical institutions.

“There are several professional medical societies that suggest that it is unethical for doctors to refuse to participate in or refer patients for elective abortion and that those doctors could be punished by the state if they refuse to do so,” Rice said.

He said the Mississippi Supreme Court relied heavily on the U.S. Supreme Court’s opinions when ruling in the Fordice case.

Now that the high court’s opinions have changed, he said the states’ should too.

The lawsuit was filed in the Hinds County Chancery Court and will likely be decided by the Mississippi Supreme Court.

Want more WLBT news in your inbox? Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.

Copyright 2022 WLBT. All rights reserved.
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:38 pm And from the home of Dobbs.....
:snippity: The opinion holds that abortion is a right protected by the state constitution.

Rice said this legal uncertainty has placed the state’s physicians in an impossible “Catch-22.”

“We’re in a situation where elective abortions appear to be both statutorily illegal but a constitutional right, according to this 1998 Mississippi Supreme Court opinion,” he said.
Forgive me if I'm missing something, but that doesn't sound like a Catch-22 at all. It sounds like a clearly unconstitutional law, which as such, cannot be enforced.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:50 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:38 pm And from the home of Dobbs.....
:snippity: The opinion holds that abortion is a right protected by the state constitution.

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but that doesn't sound like a Catch-22 at all. It sounds like a clearly unconstitutional law, which as such, cannot be enforced.
The people who could refer to that as a 'Catch-22' are the same ones who 'teach both sides of a controversy'.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona

Infuriating.

Return to “Current Politics”