Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Post Roe Abortion Problems

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Fortinbras

Re: Post Roe Abortion Problems

Post by Fortinbras »

You would not need a passport to go on these abortion cruises since you never enter a foreign country (it's the foreign country that would require a passport from you).

Imagine, a boat takes you to the ocean liner where the abortion is performed, you get to stay on the ocean liner one or two days (for post-op followup) and then a boat back to the mainland. It might be considered a spa abortion, something deluxe, compared to the old fashioned visit to a suburban clinic with a gantlet of pro-lifers harassing every visitor.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 3:28 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:43 pm
Patagoniagirl wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:25 pm Gambling-style Abortion clinics on ships offshore.

https://www.insider.com/floating-aborti ... 2022-7?amp
Off-shore might also mean outside of US territorial waters. Means passenger lists and passport controls. Means open records for snooping DAs.
Do you need passport controls for those so-called 'gambling cruises to nowhere'? I've never taken one.
I think you need a passport (or at minimum valid ID) if you cruise out into international waters and come back.

Had an acquaintance of mine years ago take one of those tours -- came back and was held by customs in a detention cell for two hours because of warrant on unpaid child support out of Indiana. They let him go when Indiana wasn't up for extraditing him.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Anyone want to speculate how this will go with SCOTUS? Can't get an abortion in ID unless the pregnancy will kill you, but if you have (for example) preeclampsia and sky-high blood pressure, risking a major stroke that could leave you comatose or paralyzed, you still have to finish the pregnancy?

(My first pregnancy ended because of preeclampsia necessitating induction. My blood pressure (always normal, even now at 65) was sky high and they were concerned about a stroke. Lucky for me, and my first-born, I was far enough along that he was viable. Very, very small but not so small he needed an incubator.)
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

They better not be hailed as heroes. They voted the Dems bill down so they could promote their own? I bet the two are incomparable.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:52 pm Anyone want to speculate how this will go with SCOTUS? Can't get an abortion in ID unless the pregnancy will kill you, but if you have (for example) preeclampsia and sky-high blood pressure, risking a major stroke that could leave you comatose or paralyzed, you still have to finish the pregnancy?

(My first pregnancy ended because of preeclampsia necessitating induction. My blood pressure (always normal, even now at 65) was sky high and they were concerned about a stroke. Lucky for me, and my first-born, I was far enough along that he was viable. Very, very small but not so small he needed an incubator.)
EMTALA ruled "unconstitutionally vague"
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

BIG & BREAKING:
Dave Wasserman @Redistrict 2m
I've seen enough: in a huge victory for the pro-choice side, the Kansas constitutional amendment to remove protections of abortion rights fails.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Being as I live in KS, I'm watching this one closely and I think he may be a bit premature in calling victory. Yes, at the moment, it's 62.7% to oppose the amendment (keep abortion rights in the constitution) and 37.3% in support (remove abortion rights) However, only 23% of the vote is in, so there's a lot of room for movement. According to MSNBC, much of what has been counted are the early voters, absentee ballots and such. AFAIK, those tend to run more Democratic than Republican. If that's the case, what's outstanding is going to be heavily republican. From Steve Kornaki's map, it looks like all the heavy Democratic counties (ETA Except Johnson, see below) have already been 100% (ETA or nearly 100%) counted. Thankfully, they are also the most populous (KCK, Wichita, Topeka and surrounding suburbs.

ETA: Very little has come in from Johnson County which is a HUGE heavy hitter in population. Kornaki also noted that there was a tremendous turnout here today - 800,000 voters came out. In the last midterm primary the turnout was 450,000.

So, I'm hopeful that the amendment will fail and women will keep the right to choose, but I just think it's too early to say that's the outcome.

EATA (Edited again...): I need to learn to proofread about 4 times before hitting send. Sorry about all that...
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Don't quite get it---Should we be for or against the Kansas Constitutional amendment?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:57 pm Don't quite get it---Should we be for or against the Kansas Constitutional amendment?
That's not accidental. The amendment was written to be confusing. We want it to FAIL, so we should be against it, which is currently in the lead.

If it does fail, it will be a real feat. As I said, the amendment was written to be confusing, and it was scheduled to be voted on during a primary election since there aren't very many major Democratic races this year, and it was assumed that mostly Republicans would turn out. Then yesterday, texts were sent out telling people to vote "yes" if they wanted to support a woman's right to choose, which is the OPPOSITE of what a yes vote would do (they lied.)

I hope that helps!
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Thank you for the insight, Kriselda! :bighug:

Dave Wasserman is usually on the money... with 71% of the vote in, it's 63.1% to 36.9%, overwhelming. Here's hoping. GOP is freaking out. This kind of rebuke in Kansas is incredible.
Dave Wasserman @Redistrict 39m
It's possible the margin for "No" in red Kansas will be a resounding double digits, a sign of just how unpopular overturning Roe v. Wade is nationally.
Asked Larry Sabato :P
OrlyLicious 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious 3m
Replying to @LarrySabato
Larry, How do we get Pro-Choice Decisions on every state ballot in November? 🚀 After Kansas' overwhelming turnout, what about Pennsylvania? Georgia? Arizona? We still believe the GOP is going to blow it (again) and at least the Senate stays in Democratic hands. #VOTE
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Yeah :confuzzled: … No.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:21 pm

Yeah :confuzzled: … No.
Yeah, not so much Foxxers. From what i understand, about $12 million was spent TOTAL, with each side spending roughly $6 million each.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

orlylicious wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:34 pm Thank you for the insight, Kriselda! :bighug:
Sure, glad to help! :bighug:
Dave Wasserman is usually on the money... with 71% of the vote in, it's 63.1% to 36.9%, overwhelming. Here's hoping. GOP is freaking out. This kind of rebuke in Kansas is incredible.
Yep, he was right. I just know how conservative even Johnson County can be, and at the time of his prediction, none of JoCo's votes were in. But, damn, the county went HARD against the amendment!

I'm surprised and impressed.

BTW: I like your idea to get abortion rights issues on swing state ballots. Of course, all those votes today weren't just from Dems. In Kansas there are actually more unaffiliated registered voters than there are registered Dems, and nearly twice as many registered Republicans, so who knows how the repubs and unaffiliateds would vote in general election.

I would think, though, that people smart enough to vote pro-choice would also be smart enough to not be repubs, so I don't think they made up too much of the "No" vote turnout, but the unaffiliteds are a wild card. Hopefully, Dem candidates would be more attractive than the repub ones and we'd be able to really capitalize on the extra turnout.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

This is hugely significant. Washington Post says Dem voter turnout was up 60% compared to 2018.
tek

Post by tek »

Off Topic
SuzieC wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:41 am This is hugely significant. Washington Post says Dem voter turnout was up 60% compared to 2018.
Italian Jewish Space Laser Satellites Controlled By A Server In Germany Flipped The Votes!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Dammit, tek! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:51 am Dammit, tek! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
It's my fault. I fell asleep on laser maintenance duty this week. :oopsy:
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

This is so bizarre IMHO. Tax break for each embryo with an electrical pulse.

"Georgia residents can now claim embryos as dependents on their state taxes, the state's Revenue Department announced Monday.

"In light of the June 24, 2022, U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization and the July 20, 2022, 11th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling in Sistersong v. Kemp, the Department will recognize any unborn child with a detectable human heartbeat ... as eligible for the Georgia individual income tax dependent exemption," the department said in a statement."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna41111
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:29 pm This is so bizarre IMHO. Tax break for each embryo with an electrical pulse.

"Georgia residents can now claim embryos as dependents on their state taxes, the state's Revenue Department announced Monday.

"In light of the June 24, 2022, U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization and the July 20, 2022, 11th Circuit Court of Appeals ruling in Sistersong v. Kemp, the Department will recognize any unborn child with a detectable human heartbeat ... as eligible for the Georgia individual income tax dependent exemption," the department said in a statement."
I am assuming some kind of documentation is required?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:29 pm This is so bizarre IMHO. Tax break for each embryo with an electrical pulse.

And with a stillbirth your tax declaration gets adjusted and you get to pay up the difference?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:18 pm

And with a stillbirth your tax declaration gets adjusted and you get to pay up the difference?
As long as there was a heartbeat, you would get that dependent exemption. A stillbirth would not change that.

But that would also mean that every mother could claim an exemption after a miscarriage. Miscarriages are fairly common, but that would be evidence that a fetus had existed and was, at least for a time period, a valid dependent.

Return to “Current Politics”