Post Roe Abortion Problems

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

This isn't America, but. . . same, same.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/ ... on-clinics
Italian opposition parties have said women’s rights in Italy have been dealt a “heavy” blow after parliament passed a measure by Giorgia Meloni’s far-right government allowing anti-abortion activists to enter abortion consultation clinics.

The measure forms part of a package of initiatives approved by Meloni’s cabinet that will be funded by the EU’s post-pandemic recovery fund, of which Italy is the biggest beneficiary, and was put to the lower house in a confidence vote on Tuesday. The package of measures is expected to comfortably pass in the senate, too.

The move follows measures already adopted by several rightwing-led regions in funding pressure groups to infiltrate consultation clinics, which provide women with a certificate confirming their wish to end a pregnancy. Some regions, such as Marche, which is led by Meloni’s Brothers of Italy, have also restricted access to the abortion pill.

Abortion was legalised in traditionally Catholic Italy in 1978 under legislation called Law 194. Although Meloni has promised not to change the law, accessing safe abortions in Italy is increasingly difficult due to the high number of gynaecologists who refuse to terminate pregnancies for moral or religious reasons. According to health ministry data from 2021, about 63% of gynaecologists refuse to perform the procedure.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Emergency rooms refused to treat pregnant women, leaving one to miscarry in a lobby restroom

One woman miscarried in the lobby restroom of a Texas emergency room as front desk staff refused to admit her. Another woman learned that her fetus had no heartbeat at a Florida hospital, the day after a security guard turned her away from the facility. And in North Carolina, a woman gave birth in a car after an emergency room couldn’t offer an ultrasound. The baby later died.

Complaints that pregnant women were turned away from U.S. emergency rooms spiked in 2022 after the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, federal documents obtained by The Associated Press reveal.

The cases raise alarms about the state of emergency pregnancy care in the U.S., especially in states that enacted strict abortion laws and sparked confusion around the treatment doctors can provide.

“It is shocking, it’s absolutely shocking,” said Amelia Huntsberger, an OB/GYN in Oregon. “It is appalling that someone would show up to an emergency room and not receive care -- this is inconceivable.”
:snippity:
https://apnews.com/article/pregnancy-em ... e1ae5f7a1c
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:crying:

:explode:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Colorado organizers fail to gather enough signatures to put anti-abortion measure on the ballot

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/colorado-o ... he-ballot/
Colorado organizers who sought to put an anti-abortion initiative on the ballot this November failed to gather enough signatures in time to qualify.

The proposed measure from the Colorado Life Initiative sought to declare "a living human child must not be intentionally dismembered, mutilated, poisoned, scalded, starved, stabbed, given toxic injections known to cause death, left to die of the elements for lack of warmth or nutrition, used for experimentation, or treated in any way inhumanely to cause intentional physical harm leading to intended death or intended to cause disability to otherwise healthy and functioning parts of the body of a child."

For the purposes of the group's initiative, a "living human child" exists "from the moment human life biologically begins at conception," according to its website.

The group needed to collect 124,238 signatures by the April 18 deadline. Faye Barnhart, co-sponsor of the measure, told CBS News that the group had collected "tens of thousands of signatures," but fell short.

In a press release, the Colorado Life Initiative blamed abortion opponents they deemed "ProLife In Name Only" — even calling them "PLINOs" — as well as insufficient publicity and recruitment for its failure to obtain enough valid signatures.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireSto ... -109442123
BOISE, Idaho -- A new Idaho organization says it will ask voters to restore abortion access and other reproductive health care rights in the state after lawmakers let a second legislative session end without modifying strict abortion bans that have been blamed for a recent exodus of health care providers.

“We have not been able to get a fix from our lawmakers, our politicians. We are going to seek a fix from our people,” Melanie Folwell, a spokeswoman for Idahoans United for Women and Families, said Friday morning. “The people in Idaho understand the contours of this problem.”
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:23 pm

In a press release, the Colorado Life Initiative blamed abortion opponents they deemed "ProLife In Name Only" — even calling them "PLINOs" — as well as insufficient publicity and recruitment for its failure to obtain enough valid signatures.
[/quote]

or…..maybe nobody wanted to sign their stupid fucking petition.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Jack Poso 🇺🇸 @JackPosobiec wrote: BREAKING: Gavin Newsom just released a new ad saying Trump is going to order police stop women crossing state lines and force them to take pregnancy tests
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I don't think that tweet is going to have the effect Poso thinks it will.
raison de arizona

Loss of federal protection in Idaho spurs pregnant patients to plan for emergency air transport
U.S. Supreme Court to hear arguments Wednesday to determine whether federal law protects emergency room abortions in ban states

Since the U.S. Supreme Court decided in January to consider a case about whether a federal law regarding emergency medical treatment supersedes an abortion ban in Idaho, air transports out of state for pregnancy complications at one of the state’s largest hospitals have increased from one in all of 2023 to six in the past four months.

St. Luke’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. Jim Souza said if that pace continues, that number could be 20 patients before the year is over.

“We have limited resources in terms of helicopters, fixed-wing transports and ambulances. If we occupy an air transport with a patient who could completely receive the totality of her care right here, safely, it’s potentially dangerous for other patients,” Souza said.

Idaho’s abortion ban went into effect in August 2022, a few months after the U.S. Supreme Court issued its Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization decision that overturned Roe v. Wade, ending federal protection for abortion access and allowing states to regulate it instead.

That rise has prompted some Idaho physicians to advise their pregnant patients, or those trying to become pregnant, to purchase memberships with companies like Life Flight Network or Air St. Luke’s in the Boise area to avoid potentially significant costs if they need air transport in an emergency. With or without private insurance, the cost can be thousands of dollars.

“The thought of this becoming the new normal — I don’t want it to be the new normal,” said Blaine Patterson, director of the Air St. Luke’s program, which reported the recent increase in transports by air.
:snippity:
https://coloradonewsline.com/2024/04/23 ... transport/
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

It doesn't take a legal genius to figure out access to a basic health care service shouldn't depend on the state you live in, legal geniuses like Justice Beer Pong, Justice Handmaid, or Justices What Kind of Vacation Are You Offering.
raison de arizona

I like your Justice names!
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:25 pm It doesn't take a legal genius to figure out access to a basic health care service shouldn't depend on the state you live in, legal geniuses like Justice Beer Pong, Justice Handmaid, or Justices What Kind of Vacation Are You Offering.
Also Justice Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

What a difficult decision to make.
Justin Wolfers @JustinWolfers wrote: The Dobbs decision led to a sharp rise in women deciding that if they’re not allowed to control their fertility, they'll eliminate it. https://economist.com/graphic-detail/20 ... traception
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:crying: and maddening.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:47 pm What a difficult decision to make.
Justin Wolfers @JustinWolfers wrote: The Dobbs decision led to a sharp rise in women deciding that if they’re not allowed to control their fertility, they'll eliminate it. https://economist.com/graphic-detail/20 ... traception
Coming soon to a right-wing legislature near you: Surgical sterilizations are outlawed.
Largo al factotum.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm so old, I remember when a woman needed her husband's permission to have her tubes tied.

ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

‘Have you signed yet?’: Arizona activists battle to overturn near-total abortion ban
‘Citizen’s initiative’ aims to put abortion rights in the state’s constitution and repeal a long-dormant outright ban

Rachel Leingang in Phoenix
Wed 24 Apr 2024 13.00 CEST

As people streamed into the empanada restaurant, Susan Anthony made eye contact, pointing to her sign that asked whether they were pro-choice.

“Have you signed yet?” she asked patrons at the establishment in Mesa, Arizona. She carried a clipboard with petition sheets for a citizen’s initiative, a ballot measure that would put the right to abortion access in the swing state’s constitution.

Since the state supreme court ruled on 9 April that lawmakers in Arizona intended to fully ban abortion, the signatures have come in more quickly, Anthony said.

“No, but I’d like to.”

“I drove here to sign this.”

“I’ve been wanting to.”

“I’ve signed it, probably multiple times.”

“I’m going to tell my friend to come here and sign it.”

Starting the day the ruling came down, the Arizona for Abortion Access measure has seen its volunteers grow from about 3,000 to more than 5,000, spokeswoman Dawn Penich said. More than 5,300 small-dollar donors gave money for the first time since the ruling. The group is not giving out a new total update for the number of signatures, but Penich said that volunteers brought in 2,200 signatures to get notarized in one hour at a Phoenix coffee shop.

A handful of legislative Republicans have been scrambling since the ruling to try to peel back the outright ban, first passed there in 1864, before Arizona was a state, and instead reaffirm the more recent law, a 15-week ban. In the House, Democrats and a couple of Republicans could again try to force the repeal to a vote this Wednesday, the third attempt in recent weeks.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... n-1864-ban
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:47 pm What a difficult decision to make.
Maybe not as difficult as you'd expect if you are a woman and those are your only 2 options.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:40 pm I'm so old, I remember when a woman needed her husband's permission to have her tubes tied.
So did the men. Ask me how I know.
Largo al factotum.
raison de arizona

Huh. When I got mine around 2000 they didn't ask me a damn thing. They were just like,
raison de arizona

Important information, although I don't think this has passed at a statewide level yet (please correct if I am mistaken.) I believe it is only individual Texas counties that have outlawed travel on their roads for health care purposes. Reminder to stay on the interstates in TX!
https://x.com/Tucsonbelle12/status/1783248950696255982
TucsonLady🌵🐝🦋🐰☮️🌈🌊 @Tucsonbelle12 wrote: TX has passed a law that you cannot travel on a STATE highway to go out of state for an abortion. So, ladies please remember to leave the state of TX on a federal INTERSTATE highway.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I want to know how they plan to enforce that.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I think Idaho is playing with this concept. There are probably others in their desire to make life for the female citizens of their states as miserable and dangerous as possible.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:43 pm I want to know how they plan to enforce that.
Remember those inland CBP checkpoints? Or extend those checkpoints like California has them to screen for unwanted vegetables and greeneries? Just take a broader approach on screening for hidden biological matter :twisted:
raison de arizona

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:23 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:43 pm I want to know how they plan to enforce that.
Remember those inland CBP checkpoints? Or extend those checkpoints like California has them to screen for unwanted vegetables and greeneries? Just take a broader approach on screening for hidden biological matter :twisted:
We ran through an inland CBP checkpoint about 50 miles into AZ coming back from Mexico last month. The wife was busy getting out our passports and whatnot, I had to point out that we were white and wouldn't need any of that. Total stop lasted about 5 seconds. "ARE YOU CITIZENS OF THE US?" "Yes." "K-THX, GO ON YOUR WAY." Luckily we didn't have any females of child bearing age with us in the vehicle. :twisted:

Return to “Current Politics”