Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Post Roe Abortion Problems

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Post Roe Abortion Problems

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:59 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:51 am Dammit, tek! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
It's my fault. I fell asleep on laser maintenance duty this week. :oopsy:
Well, hell!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Kansas analysis:

https://politicalcharge.org/2022/08/03/ ... r-the-win/
Kansas Voters For the Win!

On top of that election officials were predicting that this primary election would see roughly 36% turnout. Primary elections in a non-presidential year see very low turnout so this number wasn’t a surprise. What was a surprise was that the turnout was closer to 50% last night.

Furthermore, I learned that of all the people who registered to vote in Kansas after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v Wade, 70% of them were women.

Oh! And it appears that 20% of the voters in Kansas came out JUST to vote on the abortion amendment, as there were more votes cast for/against the amendment than there were in both of the governors’ primaries combined.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/defending- ... 4381634007
Defending Choice: Roe vs. Wade and the Battle to Preserve Women's Reproductive Rights

Moderated by Becca Andrews of Mother Jones Magazine with Jenny Brown, Dr. Katherine Brown, Joshua Prager, and Mary Ziegler

With the reversal of Roe vs. Wade on the horizon and its dire consequences threatening women’s rights and healthcare, City Lights and Mother Jones Magazine bring together four of the most well-versed writers on the subject for an immersive exploration. Beginning with how we got here, we will explore the historical, legal, medical, and activist related aspects of Roe vs. Wade. A special focus will be placed on the political and economic issues at the heart of the battle for women’s rights. Our participants will offer a deep analysis, exposing the connections between the dismantling of Roe vs. Wade and the stripping of constitutional protections that extend beyond the issue of women’s reproductive rights and into campaign finance laws and beyond. We will offer a barometer for where the situation stands and how we can best fight to protect women’s rights.
https___cdn.evbuc.com_images_303827339_440433906100_1_original.jpeg
https___cdn.evbuc.com_images_303827339_440433906100_1_original.jpeg (67.41 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

We will be seeing more of this -

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I don't have a link, but my husband says that Kansas is going to do a hand recount of the abortion vote ballots. I understand doing a recount when the vote is close, but this is ridiculous. The pubs just can't handle that despite all their efforts to make sure this thing passed (confusing language in the amendment, scheduling it at a time they expected a low turnout with mostly pubs voting, running ad campaigns and sending text messages saying voting "yes" would protect the right to abortion - which is a huge lie, etc...) the people of Kansas said they didn't want it, and by a large margin.

It also says to me that the mantra I've heard that we just need to make sure we win elections by large enough margins that the pubs can't claim fraud isn't necessarily going g to work. They may "recount" anything that they lose and try to change the results.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Kansas to recount abortion vote by hand, despite big margin
Kansas’ elections director says the state will go along with a request for a hand recount of votes from every county after last week’s decisive statewide vote affirming abortion rights, even though there was a 165,000-vote difference and a recount won’t change the result.

Melissa Leavitt, of Colby in far western Kansas, requested the recount and declined to comment to reporters Friday evening, citing work obligations. But she said on an online site raising funds for a recount that she had “seen data” about the election. Her post was not more specific, and there is no evidence of significant problems with the election.

Baseless election conspiracies have circulated widely in the U.S., particularly among supporters of former President Donald Trump, who has repeated false claims that he lost the 2020 election through fraud.

Kansas law requires Leavitt to post a bond to cover the entire cost of the recount. Bryan Caskey, state elections director for the Kansas secretary of state’s office, said it would be the first recount of the votes on a statewide ballot question in at least 30 years.

Caskey said the work won’t begin without a guarantee that Leavitt can cover the cost.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Thus truly starting the era of First Grift Past The Post cottage industries in GoFundMeing the costs for a recount and pocketing the remainder. It's not just for faux-billionaires-turned-politicians anymore.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Tiredretiredlawyer

Just came across this site.

https://dontbanequality.com
Don't Ban Equality

To access a regularly updated database of corporate responses to the overturning of Roe v. Wade, click here.

These companies stand with Don’t Ban Equality
Don't Ban Equality

It's time for companies to stand up for reproductive healthcare

Equality in the workplace is one of the most important business issues of our time.

Restricting access to comprehensive reproductive care, including abortion, threatens the health, independence, and economic stability of our workers and customers.

When everyone is empowered to succeed, our companies, our communities, and our economy are better for it.

The economic losses from existing abortion restrictions, including labor force impact and earnings, already cost state economies across the nation an estimated $105 billion annually.*
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.allure.com
Does Your Favorite Beauty Brand Support Abortion Rights?
We asked 100 brands what they've done (and are presently doing) to support and protect reproductive rights. Here's what they told us.

In the six weeks since Roe was overturned, Allure has reached out to 100 beauty and wellness brands to ask how they are responding, if at all, to the ruling that ended the constitutional right to privacy — and bodily autonomy — for roughly half the country. We asked three questions: Have you made a public statement? Are you donating to or otherwise supporting any reproductive health care organizations? As a company whose consumers are predominantly people who can become pregnant, what, if any, are your plans to support them on this issue going forward?

Why did we ask these questions? Simply put, the vast majority of consumers on which America's more than $85 billion beauty and personal-care industry is built are women. In recent decades, many beauty companies have advocated for gender equality, women's empowerment and worth, often with powerful marketing campaigns. It's difficult to argue that the Supreme Court's recent decision to overturn Roe does not stand in direct opposition to those values. Research has shown that about 70 percent of consumers believe companies should speak out about injustices; of those, 86 percent want brands to specifically talk about reproductive rights. Over the last two years, in particular, we have seen the beauty industry be very vocal about cultural and political movements, most notably racial justice and LGBTQ+ rights.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/8 ... n-abortion
This right here is why men should not try to talk about women's bodies

Dave Alvord decided to teach Vice President Kamala Harris a thing or two after she tweeted, “We trust the judgment of the women of America to make decisions based on what is in their best interest. We trust the women of America to make those decisions about their own bodies.”

Alvord responded, incorrectly: “The baby is not part of the body of a woman. The umbilical chord and placenta do not directly connect to the woman. The baby floats inside the woman. It is not about the woman’s body, it’s to kill then remove the baby’s body. It is done in greater proportion to black babies.”

The umbilical “chord” and placenta do not directly connect to the woman? Does this whiz kid imagine that the placenta just sort of manifests the nutrients and oxygen a fetus needs to survive and grow? It just all kinda comes from nowhere? If so, then why do we need human beings to go through pregnancy and labor and delivery? Why are we doing this very burdensome, dangerous thing if apparently the uterus and the entire human being around the uterus are not providing anything but a little space for a placenta, umbilical cord, and fetus to float around in?
https://twitter.com › AgnesOfTheDogs › status

Oh nice, you’ve solved pregnancy, let’s put the fetuses in jars and they can float around for a few months until fully ripened and ready for decantation day
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

It's those green of outer space critters that feed the embryo. Much like you can contactless load your mobile phone :twisted:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Moar crazy female body stuff. This time from a "medical" doctor.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/978943#vp_2
Pro-Life Ob/Gyns Say Dobbs Not End of Abortion Struggle

Pro-choice groups, including ACOG, worry that the reversal of Roe has provided AAPLOG [ WE ARE THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF
PRO-LIFE OBSTETRICIANS AND GYNECOLOGISTS
BOARD CERTIFIED. PROFESSIONAL.
MEDICAL EXPERTS IN THE PRO-LIFE MOVEMENT SINCE 1973 https://aaplog.org] with an undeserved veneer of medical expertise. The decision also allowed judges and legislators to "insert themselves into nuanced and complex situations" they know little about and will rely on groups like AAPLOG to exert influence, [Dr.] Meegan said.

In turn, [Dr. Robin] Harrison described ACOG as engaging in "rabid, pro-abortion activism."
:snippity:

Medication abortions now account for more than half of all pregnancy terminations in the United States, according to the Guttmacher Institute.

Harrison said that medication abortions put women at an elevated risk of serious, sometimes deadly bleeding, while ACOG points to evidence that the risk of childbirth to women is significantly higher. She also is no fan of Plan B, the "morning after" pill, which is available to women without having to consult a doctor. She described abortifacients as "a huge danger to women being harmed" by medications available over the counter.

In Harrison's view, the 10-year-old Ohio girl who traveled to Indiana to obtain an abortion after she became pregnant as the result of rape should have continued her pregnancy. So, too, should young girls who are the victims of incest. "Incest is a horrific crime," she said, "but aborting a girl because of incest doesn't make her un-raped. It just adds another trauma." :cantlook: :vomit:

When told of Harrison's comment, Meegan paused for 5 seconds before saying, "I think that statement speaks for itself."

Louise Perkins King, MD, JD, an ob/gyn and director of reproductive bioethics at Harvard Medical School, Boston, said she had the "horrific" experience of delivering a baby to an 11-year-old girl.

"Children are not fully developed, and they should not be having children," King said.
► Show Spoiler
Medscape Medical News © 2022 WebMD, LLC
Send news tips to news@medscape.net.

Cite this: Pro-Life Ob/Gyns Say Dobbs Not End of Abortion Struggle - Medscape - Aug 09, 2022.

Roe v. Wade: Medical Groups React to Supreme Court Decision
Roe v. Wade: Medical Groups React to Supreme Court Decision
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen @NoLieWithBTC wrote: Florida is forcing a 16-year-old girl to have a baby because they say she is not mature enough to have an abortion. Let that sink in.
Mark Joseph Stern @mjs_DC wrote: Florida appeals court affirms an order prohibiting a parentless 16-year-old from terminating her pregnancy on the grounds that she has not proved she is mature enough to get an abortion. So the state will force her to have a child instead. https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... 0017_i.pdf
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I hate this fucking state.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:10 pm I hate this fucking state.
I hate your state and also my state (Ohio).
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:17 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:10 pm I hate this fucking state.
I hate your state and also my state (Ohio).

and my state
Kansas

you just know they are going to f@#% up this recount
Lani

Post by Lani »

If she's white, I bet people are getting in line for the baby.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Lani wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:07 am If she's white, I bet people are getting in line for the baby.
Eh, still tainted by being an american... and there might be interfering family somewhere. Gotta get those foreign born babies!
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Not a problem...
Planned Parenthood to spend record $50 million on midterm elections
By Amy B Wang August 17, 2022 at 2:24 p.m. EDT

Planned Parenthood’s advocacy and political organizations will spend a record $50 million on November’s midterm elections in an effort to elect abortion rights supporters across the country.

The record investment underscores how much reproductive rights advocates believe abortion will be a motivating issue for voters in this year’s midterm elections, a few months after a Supreme Court decision in June overturned Roe v. Wade, the 1973 decision that for nearly half a century guaranteed the right to an abortion in the United States.

“Abortion rights are going to play a huge role in this election,” Jenny Lawson, executive director of Planned Parenthood Votes, the group’s political action committee, told The Washington Post. “The stakes have truly, truly never been higher.”

Lawson said Planned Parenthood will focus initially on nine states — Georgia, Nevada, Minnesota, Pennsylvania, Arizona, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Michigan, and Wisconsin — where gubernatorial or down-ballot races could determine abortion access in the state or federally. For example, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan currently have Democratic governors who have prevented their Republican-led state legislatures from enacting statewide abortion restrictions.

Many of those states, such as Pennsylvania, Georgia and Arizona, also have competitive Senate races that could determine which party has control of the chamber. “They’re part of the pathway to [Democrats] maintaining the Senate and stopping antiabortion folks from passing a national abortion ban, which they have said they want to do,” Lawson said.
More: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... p_politics
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:07 am If she's white, I bet people are getting in line for the baby.
I'm wondering what they'll do if she decides to keep the baby. I know they can take kids and put them in foster care, but doesn't the parent usually have to actually *do* something wrong, beyond just being not mature enough?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:09 am
I'm wondering what they'll do if she decides to keep the baby. I know they can take kids and put them in foster care, but doesn't the parent usually have to actually *do* something wrong, beyond just being not mature enough?
The state has apparently already decided she's plenty mature enough to have the baby. She's just not mature enough to have the abortion.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Ah..

But the court will rule that she is too immature to keep and care for the child they are forcing her to have…

Which means one more unit of product for the domestic adoption industry.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

sugar magnolia wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:19 am
The state has apparently already decided she's plenty mature enough to have the baby. She's just not mature enough to have the abortion.
Oh, well ok, then. That makes perfect sense. :doh:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... hurricane/
The abortion rights battle between conservative states and their liberal cities claimed another casualty on Thursday after Louisiana state officials delayed storm aid to New Orleans even as the city faced a flood advisory and predictions of an above-average hurricane season.

At the urging of Republican Attorney General Jeff Landry, the state’s bond commission voted 7-6 on Thursday to temporarily block a $39 million line of credit — which the city planned to use for a power station to combat flooding in an area ravaged by Hurricane Katrina in 2005 — until the Democratic mayor and council rescind vows to defy the state’s new abortion ban. All who voted to delay funding were Republicans or their proxies, although some Republicans on the commission voted not to delay.

“The officials in New Orleans took an oath of office to support and enforce the laws of our State, yet they have decided that some laws are not worthy of enforcement,” Landry said in a statement posted on Facebook, condemning “the city’s open defiance of the will of the people of Louisiana” and calling the vote “another step toward ensuring the parishes and municipalities of our State comply with the laws of our State.” Landry’s office declined further comment Friday, instead highlighting his past comments.

:snippity:

“I am disappointed, but not surprised, by the manufactured crisis of the attorney general, who has once again delayed critical infrastructure funding in the middle of hurricane season,” Cantrell said in a statement. “I will continue to prioritize necessary improvements to our city’s aging infrastructure, while fighting for the reproductive rights of all women.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

They should have said it was settled law...

Return to “Current Politics”