Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Bill_G, retired, affluence of effluent, and errata

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Stay well. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

That is good to hear! My apologies for the threadjack.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Reddog wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:48 pm That is good to hear! My apologies for the threadjack.
No worries reddog. You were celebrating Life which is the best possible reaction. You were perfect man. Thank you.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:bighug:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Yeah, that’s the thing about getting old. You’re tooling along just fine, healthy healthy healthy and then, as if you crossed an invisible threshold, you’re not.

I’m glad you’re such a calm guy. That two hour period must have felt like forever. Not sure I could have controlled my panic.

I’ve always had a fear of suffocating but it’s inching toward a phobia since COVID and the weird bug that gave me a second pneumonia. I wake at least once a week, bolting upright because I think can’t breathe. Once I’m awake I realize I’m not having a breathing problem. But my brain is terrorized by stories.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:22 pm Yeah, that’s the thing about getting old. You’re tooling along just fine, healthy healthy healthy and then, as if you crossed an invisible threshold, you’re not.

I’m glad you’re such a calm guy. That two hour period must have felt like forever. Not sure I could have controlled my panic.

I’ve always had a fear of suffocating but it’s inching toward a phobia since COVID and the weird bug that gave me a second pneumonia. I wake at least once a week, bolting upright because I think can’t breathe. Once I’m awake I realize I’m not having a breathing problem. But my brain is terrorized by stories.
Oh believe me, there was a part of me that was totally freaking out. The sound of it screaming was bouncing off the inside of my head. I had to ignore that voice, and focus on solemnity. "I will be fine" was my mantra.

I spent part of the time writing a list of things she was going to need, and reminding her where those important documents are, who to call, etc.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I am so glad to hear that things are going well now for you! :bighug:

I'll make a plug here for getting an Apple watch. Four years ago my sweetie passed away unexpectedly. For more than 40 years he had been my best friend and we did everything together, and, being introverted, I didn't have any close girlfriends. Within a few weeks of my husband passing, I realized just how vulnerable I was. If I fell down the stairs and broke my leg, no one would know. At that point, I realized I needed something like an Apple watch so that I could contact someone in case of an emergency. As long as my iPhone is within the house, my Apple watch can call people I have set up as emergency contacts. It also will call for help if you fall down and don't respond to them saying that you're ok. Anyway, for those of us living alone, or just getting up in years, it certainly is something to consider.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:07 pm I am so glad to hear that things are going well now for you! :bighug:

I'll make a plug here for getting an Apple watch. Four years ago my sweetie passed away unexpectedly. For more than 40 years he had been my best friend and we did everything together, and, being introverted, I didn't have any close girlfriends. Within a few weeks of my husband passing, I realized just how vulnerable I was. If I fell down the stairs and broke my leg, no one would know. At that point, I realized I needed something like an Apple watch so that I could contact someone in case of an emergency. As long as my iPhone is within the house, my Apple watch can call people I have set up as emergency contacts. It also will call for help if you fall down and don't respond to them saying that you're ok. Anyway, for those of us living alone, or just getting up in years, it certainly is something to consider.
:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

My total sympathy with you and your wife. About 6 months ago my husband fell in the bathroom. He was fine (he's done it before) and just got up and got back in bed. Several hours later he woke me up (he NEVER does that) and mimed that he couldn't breathe. He's a foot taller and over 100 lbs heavier and I had just gotten out of the hospital myself so we called an ambulance. An hour and 20 minutes later, with no ambulance in sight and his heart rate settled down and breathing much easier, we went back to bed. The next morning, he was referred to the cardiologist, who drew a bunch of fluid off his lung and diagnosed him with congestive heart failure and PAD. A week later he had an internal defibrillator thing implanted and he's been golden ever since.

I felt so guilty sitting there for an hour saying "you are breathing" while he was saying "I can't breathe." He wasn't breathing deeply, but he was definitely breathing. Fortunately, he still is.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yikes, will y'all please stop scaring me? And MN-Skeptic, I hope you have some girlfriends now!

I'm pretty good at breathing. I practice every day for hours. :batting:

I'd be terrified if suddenly I couldn't breathe. :shock:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:41 pm My total sympathy with you and your wife. About 6 months ago my husband fell in the bathroom. He was fine (he's done it before) and just got up and got back in bed. Several hours later he woke me up (he NEVER does that) and mimed that he couldn't breathe. He's a foot taller and over 100 lbs heavier and I had just gotten out of the hospital myself so we called an ambulance. An hour and 20 minutes later, with no ambulance in sight and his heart rate settled down and breathing much easier, we went back to bed. The next morning, he was referred to the cardiologist, who drew a bunch of fluid off his lung and diagnosed him with congestive heart failure and PAD. A week later he had an internal defibrillator thing implanted and he's been golden ever since.

I felt so guilty sitting there for an hour saying "you are breathing" while he was saying "I can't breathe." He wasn't breathing deeply, but he was definitely breathing. Fortunately, he still is.
OMG Sugar. I'm so sorry you and Mr_M went through that, but I'm very glad you both are okay. It's an awful experience. I'm also very disturbed by the non-ambulance response. I couldn't reach the phone, but I knew someone would be there if I did. Damn. To call 911 and get nothing is a crime. Thankfully because you guys stayed focused and on task, he came through it well. We like happy endings.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:30 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:41 pm My total sympathy with you and your wife. About 6 months ago my husband fell in the bathroom. He was fine (he's done it before) and just got up and got back in bed. Several hours later he woke me up (he NEVER does that) and mimed that he couldn't breathe. He's a foot taller and over 100 lbs heavier and I had just gotten out of the hospital myself so we called an ambulance. An hour and 20 minutes later, with no ambulance in sight and his heart rate settled down and breathing much easier, we went back to bed. The next morning, he was referred to the cardiologist, who drew a bunch of fluid off his lung and diagnosed him with congestive heart failure and PAD. A week later he had an internal defibrillator thing implanted and he's been golden ever since.
OMG Sugar. I'm so sorry you and Mr_M went through that, but I'm very glad you both are okay. It's an awful experience. I'm also very disturbed by the non-ambulance response. I couldn't reach the phone, but I knew someone would be there if I did. Damn. To call 911 and get nothing is a crime. Thankfully because you guys stayed focused and on task, he came through it well. We like happy endings.
I, too, am very troubled that they could not get EMS to respond quickly (or at ALL!). They tend to be on the ball here in this county. Where was the failure? 6 months ago was pre-hurricane so Ian can't be the excuse.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

An update on my health issues:

Kaiser sent me my test results. It's definitely NOT covid, RSV, SARS, or Flu. Um, okay. So what is the amoxycillin for? What is it fighting, and I'm improving from? Wind this question back to last June please since it seemed to have started back then.

And while we're at it, did my wayward youth of partying lead to COPD these days? Was it working at Central Foundry in the 70's? Was is asbestos exposure? Lead paint? Chemical exposure? Dirty attics? Four wheeling at high speed on dry dusty roads? All of the above? I don't think they'll be able to Columbo that question.

My breathing overall is improving. I've been doing the breathing exercises, and can now keep my blood sats in the mid-90's without additional oxygen. The rental is for three months. I'll wait to make a decision to return the machine in a few weeks in case things change.

My appetite is returning with a vengence. Considering amoxycillin ravages the gut causing unpredicatble BM's, I've had to really keep the food intake under control. Lots of watery soups. In a couple days when the antibiotic finishes it's course, I'll work on restoring the flora, and then revisit eggs and hashbrowns which is my secret craving.

Mrs and I are going through our versions of PTSD. I have not been able to sleep through 2am since that day. I'm wide awake sitting up in the chair listening to thr radio playing sudoku surrounded by my pills, meters, and phones. Mrs keeps waking up imagining she hears me calling for help. She snaps out of bed, and comes looking for me to make sure. Ugh. We will get through this.

That's it. Carry on.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bill_g wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:57 am An update on my health issues:
:bighug:

Rather antibiotic - did they say anything to you about pneumonia? I know I was given that when I had pneumonia and one,of the Mai symptoms of that was having trouble breathing...

I hope you're able to start getting more rest soon!
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:03 am :bighug:

Rather antibiotic - did they say anything to you about pneumonia? I know I was given that when I had pneumonia and one,of the Mai symptoms of that was having trouble breathing...

I hope you're able to start getting more rest soon!
I'm sorry. I misspoke. I'm on azithromycin. Senior moment, and I'm taking it. Thank you very much.

As to pneumonia, apparently not. They determined that last June, then again in October, and most recently last Thursday ... by xray. No evidence of edema. Just the hyperinflation associated with COPD. IANAD.

The part I'm still getting used to is having good blood SpO2 levels according to the pulse oximeter, and being winded from just doing the dishes. Ugh. I did get the housework done albeit slowly and carefully.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

One thing I’ve learned from bouts of long COVID: it’s worse when you struggle against it. Go with the flow, if I’m tired I stop what I’m doing and rest, no more pushing through.

And forget raging against it. That uses an entire days worth of energy. ;)
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Thanks. It's hard not moving as fast as I'd like, but I get it. I'll take it easy. er.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

That’s the ticket: Er.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:55 pm One thing I’ve learned from bouts of long COVID: it’s worse when you struggle against it. Go with the flow, if I’m tired I stop what I’m doing and rest, no more pushing through.

That's something I learned a long time ago about sciatica. When it starts up, I quit whatever is aggravating it. Without quitting, it only goes one direction, and it's not good. Quit soon enough, I don't even need anything for pain sometimes, not even a couple of Aleve, let along the other stuff.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:55 pm One thing I’ve learned from bouts of long COVID: it’s worse when you struggle against it. Go with the flow, if I’m tired I stop what I’m doing and rest, no more pushing through.

It has taken me much too long to grasp that concept. The chemo fatigue hits with a vengeance if I overdo it, Unfortunately, I'm still no good at telling when I'm overdoing it until it's too late and I spend the next 20 hours sleeping. No idea why I can't recognize the signs of "losing" words, repeating myself, forgetting something minutes later, etc. as indicators that I need to STOP.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

I would kill for 20 hours sleep right now. I haven't slept longer than 90 minutes since last Thursday. Cat naps all day.

Up at 2am again hungry as hell. Fuggit. Made scrambled eggs and toast. May regret it later, but Yum! Simple pleasures.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

PS: O2 94% straight out of bed with no oxygen machine. It was 84% last week when I started down this rabbit hole. Healing is coming along. I can hold it at 96% with focused breathing.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bill_g wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:53 am PS: O2 94% straight out of bed with no oxygen machine. It was 84% last week when I started down this rabbit hole. Healing is coming along. I can hold it at 96% with focused breathing.
That's wonderful!
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:01 am
bill_g wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:53 am PS: O2 94% straight out of bed with no oxygen machine. It was 84% last week when I started down this rabbit hole. Healing is coming along. I can hold it at 96% with focused breathing.
That's wonderful!
Thanks. I can hold my breath for 20 seconds now as well. That's a milestone in itself.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”