Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Rest In Peace

MN-Skeptic

Re: Rest In Peace

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Bob Dole.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Michael Nesmith of the Monkees dies at 78

https://variety.com/2021/music/news/mic ... 235130849/
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I saw Michael Nesmith live at some little club in San Francisco a million years ago. 2 hours of original songs and storytelling. It was a really nice evening & a very good show.
Image Image Image Image
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

No! Different Drum is one of my favorite songs. I’ll do it at the next open mic.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

And then there was one....
Wintermute
Verified:

Post by Wintermute »

Magnetic South was a great album. Nesmith was a great songwriter, I love the song Texas Morning, and the many covers.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Namaste, Mikey. I was very happy when he won that lawsuit. He’s been playing around here for a long time, but I never made it to one of his shows. :(
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I always thought it was cool that his mother invented Liquid Paper. From Wikipedia -
When Nesmith was 13, his mother invented the typewriter correction fluid known commercially as Liquid Paper. Over the next 25 years, she built the Liquid Paper Corporation into a multimillion-dollar international company, which she sold to Gillette in 1979 for $48 million. She died a few months later at age 56.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

two clips
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Sad to lose him. I was just the right age when the Monkees appeared. I watched more episodes of that show than total hours of Tee Vee I've seen in the 21st century. :(
Out from under. :thumbsup:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I’m a dork, but I loved a lot of their hits.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

About 45 years ago or so a professional contract bridge player (Jeff Meckstroth) devised an artificial bid that would express interest in slam without bypassing the game level of 4♠ or 4♥. He named the convention "Last Train to Clarksville."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Trai ... inition%3A

It comes in handy from time to time when your hand has extra values but do not wish to risk the five level.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

One of the people I went to the Mike Nesmith show with a million years ago still has her ticket. It was so long ago I forgot it was at the Old Waldorf.
Estiveoshot_20211211_182534.jpg
Image Image Image Image
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Author Anne Rice.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

:cry: Anne Rice. This is a big one for us. Here's her son Christopher Travis Rice's message from an hour ago:

I've known Christopher since we were young in NYC. When his book A Density of Souls came out in 2000 it was very forward for the time. Anne was incredibly supportive. His Dad Stan Rice passed December 9, 2002. Had dropped Chris a note about the new pickup of the Vampire & Mayfair Chronicles, they'd been trying to over a decade and the timing was finally right. AMC bought the rights to the whole series. Interview With A Vampire will be on next year along with Mayfair https://nerdist.com/article/interview-w ... eries-amc/ and it will be thrilling to see it happen.
Announced by AMC, the network has officially greenlit Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches, a new series based on her Lives of the Mayfair Witches trilogy. This series will follow Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire with a late 2022 premiere. Eight episodes will make up the first season. Dec 1, 2021
I'm so glad Anne saw it starting, it was a frustrating wait for them. Chris is playing a major part in the productions.

Anne meant so much growing up to us. Still go back and listen to the wonderful Simon Vance narrations of the Vampire Chronicles often.

This is so true:
Let us take comfort in the shared hope that Anne is now experiencing firsthand the glorious answers to many great spiritual and cosmic questions, the quest for which defined her life and career.
:( :(

Here's Anne's FB https://www.facebook.com/annericefanpage and her Twitter is below.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

That's one second line I don't want to miss.
notorial dissent

Post by notorial dissent »

So sorry to hear that. I concur Sugar.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:cantlook: :cry: :crying:

My neighbor who had since passed took several classes from Stan in SF, and became friends with them, was invited for dinner several times.

Shortly after Stan passed, I stood in line for hours at a book signing at Vroman’s in Pasadena. When my turn came I mentioned Michael’s name to her. Sweet lady, she threw her arms around my neck and squeezed hard, then asked me to say hello. I didn’t have the heart to tell her he, too has just passed.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Keiko Nobumoto, Writer For Cowboy Bebop And Tokyo Godfathers, Dies At 57
If you’re a fan of a certain style of hip, worldly anime from the last few decades, chances are you’re already well familiar with Nobumoto’s work. Her storied career is rife with highlights. She wrote the cult anime series Cowboy Bebop along with its big-screen adaptation Cowboy Bebop: Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door.

She was also the original creator of the wildly popular TV/OAV series Wolf’s Rain and its manga adaptation. She collaborated with legendary anime director Satoshi Kon in writing Tokyo Godfathers, wrote a little-known indie thing called Macross Plus, and contributed scripts to other Shinichiro Watanabe shows, including Carole and Tuesday, Samurai Champloo, and Space Dandy. Alongside her illustrious career as a writer for anime, Nobumoto also had credits as a scenario supervisor for Kingdom Hearts.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

RIP, Anne Rice. I enjoyed her work.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:32 am Oh my, quite the obit.
https://www.fayobserver.com/obituaries/m0028451
I just came here to post this (I saw it on facebook). She (and her entire family) sounds like a lot of fun!
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
filly

Post by filly »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:19 am
I just came here to post this (I saw it on facebook). She (and her entire family) sounds like a lot of fun!
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

filly wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:23 am
Hidden Content
My father read the obituaries every day. He claimed it was to make sure he was still around :lol: . Wouldn't you know, when he finally stopped reading them, his appeared.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

filly wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:23 am
Maybenaut wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:19 am
Hidden Content
I took a songwriting class one time and the instructor, Amy Speace, randomly handed out obituaries and wedding announcements, and that was the prompt for your song.

My obituary was from the New York Times of a Wall Street guy who died relatively young. Early 50s. Cause of death wasn’t stated, so, who knows. Anyhoo, it didn’t sound like he had any close family; none were mentioned in the obituary. Just a boat. And it looked like somebody from his office cobbled together in the obituary from his résumé. It had phrases like “self-starter” and “imaginative problem solver.”

So I wrote a song about how this guy sank his boat on the River Styx. Saint Peter uses obituaries to decide who gets in to heaven and who doesn’t, and this guy wasn’t getting in because he padded his obituary. It was a couple years ago, I never performed it anywhere, it was just for the class. I wish I could find it, because it was pretty funny.

Return to “General Stuff”