Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: Rest In Peace

Post by neonzx »

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

John Farnham leads tributes to Australian music identity Glenn Wheatley after his death from COVID complications aged 74
Key points:
Glenn Wheatley was in the music industry for more than 50 years
He is known for his creative partnership with John Farnham, and for discovering Delta Goodrem
Wheatley's son remembered him as a family man, and said he "had time for everyone"
Wheatley had been in the music industry for more than 50 years.

He started out as a musician playing bass in 1960s rock band The Masters Apprentices, with hits such as Because I Love You and Turn Up Your Radio, and was responsible for reinvigorating Farnham's career as well as discovering Delta Goodrem.

It was under Wheatley's guidance that Farnham released the hugely successful 1986 album Whispering Jack.

It was the singer's most popular LP and remains the highest-selling album in Australia by an Australian artist.

Has everybody heard about the bird?
filly

Post by filly »

Famed law professor Yale Kamisar has died at 92 https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 658491001/

He co-wrote one of my Constitutional Law books that I still have on my shelf. Back when precedents mattered.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Thanks filly, that's a moving obituary. How wonderful to have had Professor Kamisar as a teacher.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

The New York Times has put up a good obituary.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/04/us/y ... -dead.html
Yale Kamisar, a legal scholar whose work on civil liberties and criminal procedure had a profound influence on landmark Supreme Court decisions like Gideon v. Wainwright and Miranda v. Arizona, died on Sunday at his home in Ann Arbor, Mich. He was 92.
:snippity:
Professor Kamisar began to wrestle with the issues of criminal procedure — the rules under which the legal system adjudicates crimes — in the late 1950s, as a newly hired faculty member at the University of Minnesota.

At the time, the subject was considered largely a sideshow to the big questions in constitutional law. What few courses existed were sloughed off on new hires, and everyone expected Professor Kamisar to move quickly into teaching antitrust, an area he knew from his time working for a Washington law firm.

Instead, within a decade he established himself as the leading figure in an area of the law that, thanks in large part to his work, suddenly seemed not just important but intellectually vibrant. He continued that work at the University of Michigan, where he moved in 1965.
filly

Post by filly »

chancery wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:30 pm Thanks filly, that's a moving obituary. How wonderful to have had Professor Kamisar as a teacher.
Oh, he wasn't my teacher, save for the compilation of cases he put together for the textbook. I never considered going to Michigan nor to the University of Texas for some reason. I could have saved a lot of tuition $$. :lol:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

neonzx wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:27 am
that never gets old.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Writer and satirist PJ O'Rourke, at 74.
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

I think this is very cool!
Reef Ball.png
Reef Ball.png (333.68 KiB) Viewed 1258 times
Reef ball burials: the new trend for becoming ‘coral’ when you die
Do underwater cremation memorials help people regenerate marine habitats in death or are they a ‘greenwashing’ gimmick?
Janet Hock is a former dentistry professor who lives in Indianapolis. She is also an avid scuba diver, with a long love of the ocean. “We plod around on Earth, but there’s this whole other world that teems with life – or used to,” she says.

So when Hock, 77, updated her will in 2020, she added that she wanted to become part of a coral reef when she died. The unusual request means her cremated remains will be mixed into a perforated concrete dome, known as a reef ball. She will then become part of an artificial reef, having a second life on the seabed.

“You’re providing structure for fish to swim through and a place for plants to grow,” says Hock. “My first impression was that they’re really ugly. Then I thought: ‘Oh, it would be so nice to be down there, with little orange fish darting through the holes in my ball.’”

The service is provided by Eternal Reefs, a Florida-based charity that says it offers a “way to give back after life by replenishing the dwindling natural reef systems”. It places reef balls made of pH-neutral concrete, along with human ashes, in regulated areas of the seabed around the US. Family and friends are given the GPS coordinates of where their loved one’s “grave” is located.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... en-you-die
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I like it! My plan was to have my ashes scattered at sea but this is much better.

ImageImageImage x4
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

There is something in a similar vein with trees. You can either have a biodegradable urn with a seedling in which your ashes are interred, or you can be shoved into a pod in the fetal position and the whole thing buried in the ground, not embalmed, of course.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

jez wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:41 pm There is something in a similar vein with trees. You can either have a biodegradable urn with a seedling in which your ashes are interred, or you can be shoved into a pod in the fetal position and the whole thing buried in the ground, not embalmed, of course.
:lol: That cracked me up.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Guess I could have been a bit more nuanced in my choice of words, but I had been up since 430 am.. :oopsy:
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

RIP
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Betty White's last brief message (previously unreleased)

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lovestruck:

Her voice sounds very weak. I wonder when this was recorded.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:45 pm :lovestruck:

A family member had a very deep, robust voice that was memorable. When I last saw him, he was 85, and his voice had become weak and raspy, with all the depth gone. It was shocking.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Can't post the links right now but if you want to see some delightful Betty White interviews, check out her appearances on the old Craig Ferguson show. They were close friends from a failed tv show and she made lots of appearance on his late night show. She'd come out dressed as a cop, or a lion tamer or something silly and Craig would ask why she was working as a... and she always say, "Well, I needed the money....

ImageImageImage x4
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

I follow her on FB and I believe it was 2-3 weeks before she passed. Her assistant, Kirsten (sp?) is running the account and posted the video in January.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

poplove wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:19 pm

I follow her on FB and I believe it was 2-3 weeks before she passed. Her assistant, Kirsten (sp?) is running the account and posted the video in January.
Thanks.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Killer Cosmonaut
Poster based in the United Kingdom · mughfonhlsor4le5c168i3h1 ·
Rest in Peace American actor, writer, photographer, and automotive historian Tim Considine (December 31, 1940 – March 3, 2022), whose credits include the Disney TV serials Spin and Marty and Hardy Boys on The Mickey Mouse Club, Disney show The Swamp Fox, Disney motion picture The Shaggy Dog, and the role of eldest son Mike Douglas on My Three Sons.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I loved Spin and Marty, didn't know he was on it.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Gregg wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:10 am I loved Spin and Marty, didn't know he was on it.
"When tenderfeet come to the Triple R. Yippey Yay Yippee yo.
They get on a horse but they don't go far. Yippey Yay Yippee yo.
Around and around the corral they trot till they can't sit down on their tender spot.
Yippey Yay Yippee yi Yippee yo..."

Or something to that effect.

Return to “General Stuff”