Re: Rest In Peace

Post by jemcanada2 »

:brokenheart: I loved Quantum Leap.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I can't read MN post. Who died?

If it's Quantum Leap, I know of at least two people it could be.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:22 am I can't read MN post. Who died?

Dean Stockwell, ‘Quantum Leap’ Star, Dead at 85
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:23 am

Thank you. I thought that's who it might be.

(Just realized I am once again not seeing tweets. I had that happen off and on on the old forum, but this is the first time it's happened here.)
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Here's a link to the article that the tweet cited -

Dean Stockwell, ‘Quantum Leap’ Star, Dies at 85
Dean Stockwell, who began his acting career as a child in Hollywood’s golden age and later performed memorably in David Lynch’s “Blue Velvet”; in the comedy “Married to the Mob,” for which he was Oscar nominated; and on TV’s “Quantum Leap,” for which he was Emmy nominated, died Sunday. He was 85.

The actor racked up an extraordinary 200 credits in a career that spanned seven decades, working with notable directors including Lynch, Jonathan Demme, Robert Altman, Wim Wenders, Sidney Lumet and Francis Ford Coppola.

He picked up a supporting-actor Oscar nomination for Demme’s 1988 Mafia comedy “Married to the Mob,” starring Michelle Pfeiffer and Matthew Modine, in which he played mob boss Tony “the Tiger” Russo, who was simultaneously chilling and amusing.

One of Stockwell’s most memorable roles was as Admiral ‘Al’ Calavicci in NBC sci-series “Quantum Leap” which ran for five seasons between 1989 and 1993. The womanizing, larger than life character was the foil for Scott Bakula’s role as Dr. Sam Beckett, a physicist who engaged in space time experiments.

The role earned Stockwell four nominations for the Primetime Emmys and a Golden Globe win in 1990 for “best performance by an actor in a supporting role in a series, miniseries or motion picture made for television.” Stockwell received a star on Hollywood’s Walk of Fame on Feb. 29, 1992, the same year in which he played a disgruntled screenwriter in Robert Altman’s “The Player.”
Stockwell was one of my husband's favorite actors. It was interesting to see reruns of old shows such as Columbo and find Stockwell in them.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Thanks. I always liked him. I'll bet there's a Twilight Zone with him in it.

RIP
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... es-aged-79
Max Cleland, who lost three limbs in Vietnam but went on to be a US senator from Georgia, died on Tuesday. He was 79.

Cleland died at his home in Atlanta from congestive heart failure, his personal assistant Linda Dean said.

The Democrat served one term in the Senate, losing a 2002 re-election bid to the Republican Saxby Chambliss. Cleland was also administrator of the US Veterans Administration, Georgia secretary of state and a Georgia state senator.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:42 am Thanks. I always liked him. I'll bet there's a Twilight Zone with him in it.

RIP
Twice, '61 and '89 versions.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

And since the new Dune is out, probably should point out he was also Dr. Yueh in the 1984 version.
101010 :towel:
northland10

Post by northland10 »

filly wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:28 pm The great traditional music gets me every time (plus painkillers). Who deserves this more than Colin Powell? Yes I know there is that huge UN blunder but he acknowledged it and sought forgiveness and I am willing. Even Richard Armitage is gracious to Hillary and the Presidents who are there.
The music gets me too, though, that may be why I make a profession out of it. Services like this are quite a do for the clergy and musicians, especially as they have a large Sunday coming up as well (All Saints plus they had an extra big Choral Evensong scheduled Sunday Evening).

I have not seen it all, but Precious Lord was amazing.

Some good standard choral pieces in that, which helps as they have to toss these together quickly so having pocket music like the Clausen's Set Me as a Seal, and John Rutter's Gaelic Blessing (which we referred to at music camp as "A Garlic Dressing"). They could have actually repeated Bainton's And I Saw a New Heaven on Sunday as it comes from Revalations 21, which is one of the readings for All Saints Sunday.

Of course, being the church musician and liturgy geek that I am, of course, I a watching how they do things. I also enjoyed seeing Bishop Curry there.

For those who want to see the whole thing. Here is the link on the National Cathedral's YouTube Channel. Since it is from their normal streaming setup, you don't see but you do hear the outside stuff, i.e. the Bishop of Washington meeting the casket at the church door (yes, we have a liturgy for that). It also does not do the normal media, show all the important people sitting stuff.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021/11 ... lan-crash/
HAMPTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP/KDKA) — A CMU trustee who traveled to space with William Shatner last month was killed along with another person when a small plane crashed in northern New Jersey, according to state police.

Glen M. de Vries, 49, of New York City, and Thomas P. Fischer, 54, of Hopatcong, were aboard the single-engine Cessna 172 that went down Thursday in a wooded area of Hampton Township.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:07 pm https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021/11 ... lan-crash/
HAMPTON TOWNSHIP, N.J. (AP/KDKA) — A CMU trustee who traveled to space with William Shatner last month was killed along with another person when a small plane crashed in northern New Jersey, according to state police.

Glen M. de Vries, 49, of New York City, and Thomas P. Fischer, 54, of Hopatcong, were aboard the single-engine Cessna 172 that went down Thursday in a wooded area of Hampton Township.
Shouldn't have worn the red shirt.
Estiveoshot_20211112_152835.jpg
Image Image Image Image
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:48 am https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... es-aged-79
Max Cleland, who lost three limbs in Vietnam but went on to be a US senator from Georgia, died on Tuesday. He was 79.

Cleland died at his home in Atlanta from congestive heart failure, his personal assistant Linda Dean said.

The Democrat served one term in the Senate, losing a 2002 re-election bid to the Republican Saxby Chambliss. Cleland was also administrator of the US Veterans Administration, Georgia secretary of state and a Georgia state senator.
If you haven't had recent reasons to despise Karl Rove, what he did to Max Cleland is reason for Rove to burn in hell.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/ ... uchi-dies/
Novelist and Buddhist nun Jakucho Setouchi dies at 99

Jakucho Setouchi, a novelist and Buddhist nun known for depicting the lives and loves of modern women in award-winning novels such as “The End of Summer” and “Ask the Blossoms,” has died of heart failure, her home temple said Thursday. She was 99.

Setouchi, who was awarded the Order of Culture in 2006, was also active in anti-war and anti-nuclear movements. She died Tuesday at a hospital in Kyoto, where she resided.

A native of the city of Tokushima, Setouchi, whose secular name is Harumi Setouchi, became a nun in 1973 at the age of 51, 30 years after graduating from Tokyo Woman’s Christian University.

She married in 1943 while studying at the university but later divorced and began writing. In 2017, she published her last full-length novel “Inochi.” She continued her writing, however, contributing serialized works for two literary magazines.

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

a rather unusual note
A 20-year-old became one of ‘America’s Most Wanted.’ 52 years later, his obituary helped solve the case.

By Jonathan Edwards
Yesterday at 6:00 a.m. EST

Tom Randele was dying, but he had to confess something to his family first.

He hadn’t had an affair. He didn’t have another family in a far-flung state. He hadn’t dreamed of living another life.

No, Randele’s secret was of a different sort.

First off, Thomas Randele wasn’t Thomas Randele at all. His real name was Theodore “Ted” Conrad, and he’d been one of the most-wanted fugitives in the United States for more than a half-century.

On Friday, July 11, 1969, a 20-year-old Conrad went to his job at Society National Bank in downtown Cleveland, the U.S. Marshals Service said in a Friday news release. He worked his shift, just like normal. Then, at the end of the day, he stuffed a paper bag with $215,000 — equivalent to more than $1.7 million today — and left for the weekend.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ank-heist/
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Bill_schoolhouse_rock.png
Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

RIP
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Damn I was just thinking about him yesterday. I’ve seen him many times, mostly at the Vine St Bar and Grill, a jazz supper club.

‘My Attorney Bernie’, ‘Van Lingle Mungo’ ‘Blizzard of Lies’ His songs stuck in my brain and made my feet go tappety tap. :dance:

RIP Dave.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Estiveo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:50 pm Stephen Sondheim, 91.

https://variety.com/2021/legit/news/ste ... 235120388/
:(
He was on Colbert in September.

northland10

Post by northland10 »

Estiveo wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:50 pm Stephen Sondheim, 91.

https://variety.com/2021/legit/news/ste ... 235120388/
:crying:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:o
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Sir Frank Williams has died aged 79

Obituary

Motor racing giant and driving force behind a championship-winning Formula One team

more https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... s-obituary
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Eddie Mekka, 69. Played Carmine "The Big Ragu" Ragusa on Laverne & Shirley.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/eddie- ... 235124303/
Image Image Image Image

Return to “General Stuff”