Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Rest In Peace

Dr. Ken

Rest In Peace

Post by Dr. Ken »

Gregg wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 10:03 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:29 pm Although not pictured I'm still shook
FB_IMG_1670293722329.jpg
???

All dead? Age in that picture?

Not sure what it means.
Age in the photo. Having grown up watching these shows as a kid it always felt they were a lot older than they were
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Rest In Peace

Post by neonzx »

Well, Woody is still with us -- but I don't think he was in the season 1 cast.

Gosh, this is making me feel old. I think I need a nightcap --
Closing time! Last call!!! Drink em or I gotta take em! (can you tell I worked behind a bar?)

:bar:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Rest In Peace

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I didn't know I didn't know.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pio ... 31266.html
Pioneering Black feminist Dorothy Pitman Hughes dies at 84

Dorothy Pitman Hughes, a pioneering Black feminist, child welfare advocate and lifelong community activist who toured the country speaking with Gloria Steinem in the 1970s and appears with her in one of the most iconic photos of the second-wave feminist movement, has died. She was 84.

Though they came to feminism from different places — Hughes from community activism and Steinem from journalism — the two forged a powerful speaking partnership in the early 1970s, touring the country at a time when feminism was seen as predominantly white and middle class, a divide dating back to the origins of the American women’s movement. Steinem credited Hughes with helping her become comfortable speaking in public.

In one of the most famous images of the era, taken in October 1971, the two raised their right arms in the Black Power salute. The photo is now in the National Portrait Gallery.

Hughes, her work always rooted in community activism, organized the first shelter for battered women in New York City and co-founded the New York City Agency for Child Development to broaden childcare services in the city. But she was perhaps best known for her work helping countless families through the community center she established on Manhattan’s West Side, offering day care, job training, advocacy training and more.

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/09/entertai ... index.html
Drew Griffin, CNN's award-winning senior investigative correspondent, known for getting even the cagiest of interview subjects to engage in a story, died Saturday, December 17, after a long battle with cancer, his family said. He was 60. Jeremy Freeman/CNN
:cry:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

Good, if sad, link.

RIP
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

He will be missed, I loved his in-depth reports on climate change.
Gregg

Rest In Peace

Post by Gregg »

Reds pitcher Tom Browning. Last Red to throw a perfect game (just a few weeks after Ron Robinson came within 1 batter of doing it in a game he ended up losing).

One of the funniest ballplayers ever to pull a practical joke.

Once, Browning wasn't scheduled to pitch in the game but ventured across the street during the contest in uniform. Reds manager Davey Johnson was apoplectic but glad Browning didn't fall off the building. He had Browning make a contribution to Children's Hospital, through a fine.

General Manager Jim Bowden backed his manager, saying, 'you can't have players across the street in uniform during a game,'" after TV cameras caught him drinking a beer on a rooftop in full uniform. My kind of guy. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Gregg

Rest In Peace

Post by Gregg »

Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by mojosapien »

Terry Hall, 63, after a short illness.

Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
AndyinPA
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

Franco Harris. RIP.

I'm sorry for the family, and the city is in shock this morning. He was well loved here, and he loved the city back. He's in town right now to celebrate the retiring of his #32 jersey at the game on Saturday. It is to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of the Immaculate Reception.

I just saw him live on a local program yesterday morning. He looked vital and happy. I think everyone here knows I'm not a sport fan (heresy in Pittsburgh), but I was a Franco Harris fan. He seemed to be a genuinely nice guy. It will be a much sadder ceremony this weekend. :crying:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Rest In Peace

Post by Foggy »

I was a Dallas fan until I was in my 40s. I hated the Pittsburgh Steelers, but I liked Franco Harris. He was a genuinely nice guy.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
qbawl

Rest In Peace

Post by qbawl »

I never met him but a young lady friend of mine was in many classes with him at Penn St. and she said he was just about the nicest person she ever met and coming from this particular lady I know he must have been a very special human being.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Rest In Peace

Post by RTH10260 »

Transgender rights activist Henry Berg-Brousseau dies aged 24
His mother, Kentucky state senator Karen Berg, said he killed himself after ‘difficulty finding acceptance’

Lois Beckett and agencies
Thu 22 Dec 2022 03.18 GMT

Henry Berg-Brousseau, a transgender rights advocate whose story helped inspire opposition to trans-restrictive legislation in Kentucky, has died. He was 24.

Berg-Brousseau, of Arlington, Virginia, was the deputy press secretary for politics for the Human Rights Campaign, one of the nation’s largest LGBTQ+ advocacy organizations.

Berg-Brousseau died on Friday, said his mother, the Kentucky state senator Karen Berg. He “long struggled with mental illness, not because he was trans but born from his difficulty finding acceptance”, she said in a news release. The cause was suicide, she said.

“The vitriol against trans people is not happening in a vacuum,” Berg said in a statement. “It is not just a way of scoring political points by exacerbating the culture wars. It has real world implications.”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... es-aged-24
Mrich

Rest In Peace

Post by Mrich »

Pelé, Brazilian soccer superstar, at 82

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/29/99314321 ... rstar-dies
Azastan
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by Azastan »

Mrich wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:14 pm Pelé, Brazilian soccer superstar, at 82

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/29/99314321 ... rstar-dies
I got to watch (in person) Pelé play in the exhibition match between Cosmos and Santos, at Giants Stadium.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Rest In Peace

Post by Foggy »

Oh, man. Pelé. :(
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Dr. Ken

Rest In Peace

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Sam the Centipede

Rest In Peace

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Former pope Benedict XVI dies aged 95

There seemed to be an inordinate fuss when Ratzinger retired from the papacy on the basis that no previous RC pope (other popes are available) which baffled me – there has to be a first time for everything. Anyway, they found there wasn't a disapproving deity because no smiting occurred (the conflagration of Notre Dame de Paris would count as a very poor attempt!).

The Guardian thinks this death opens it for the current pope to retire/resign if he wishes, but I don't understand how having two living ex-popes would cause more problems than just one.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Rest In Peace

Post by keith »

Will SNL cover the sad demise of Baba Wawa?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Rest In Peace

Post by poplove »

keith wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:25 pm Will SNL cover the sad demise of Baba Wawa?
They did a tribute when she retired.
https://parade.com/tv/barbara-walters-s ... e-parodies
Chilidog

Rest In Peace

Post by Chilidog »

Former state Senator and SB 1070 author Russell Pearce dead at 75

so sad

…..anyway
Chilidog

Rest In Peace

Post by Chilidog »

this upsets me
Unfortunately, we have some sad news to share about the Bald Eagle that was undergoing care after an extraordinary rescue by Chicago Bird Collision Monitors (CBCM)on Jan 1st. Despite promising signs of recovery the first 48 hrs, the bird took a very rapid turn for the worst. The bird’s PCV (packed cell volume), and estimation of red blood cells, dropped from 29% at intake to just 6% last evening and eventually passed away before a blood transfusion could be initiated. The bird showed a large amount of bruising of the skin around the legs despite already being on treatment for anticoagulant rodenticides. Unfortunately, we do see this progression in wildlife cases often – an initial improvement likely related to being warmed up and rehydrated but then a rapid decline as the underlying cause of illness was just too much for the body to overcome.

We will be sending this bird out for a necropsy so that we can have a definitive diagnosis for cause of death (as this has not been a straightforward case with an easy diagnosis). We thank everyone for their support and we want people to remember that this outcome does not take away from the amazing efforts of the public and CBCM in their rescue of this bird!

Picture from day of rescue, courtesy of CBCM.
BF449BCC-EEFA-4530-8F30-5AE18EFEF2C6.jpeg
BF449BCC-EEFA-4530-8F30-5AE18EFEF2C6.jpeg (123.04 KiB) Viewed 414 times
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Rest In Peace

Post by poplove »

Ron Filipkowski 🇺🇦
@RonFilipkowski
Trump breaks news that Diamond of Diamond & Silk has died.

Some of the replies are interesting.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Rest In Peace

Post by raison de arizona »

Is Diamond the one that talked, or the one that sat there and said, “That’s right!”?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Rest In Peace

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I went out to their Facebook page and did a screen capture. Death is just another opportunity to grift.
20230109 Still Grifting.jpg
20230109 Still Grifting.jpg (67.41 KiB) Viewed 336 times

Return to “General Stuff”