Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

New York Governor: 2022

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Been meaning to find a place to state my thoughts on this race, and on Kathy Hochul.

Here's the thing. She is incredible. She does nothing but push progressive programs in the state, and speak out for progressive positions nation-wide.

She is visible every damn day, and never gets riled. She is even-keeled, business-like, and unfazed by anything. She comes off as a worker who knows how the hell to govern. A manager leader rather than an inspirational leader. After watching for a year, it appears that what you see is what you get. It's extremely refreshing.

She won the D nomination for governor easily (68%).

Here's a sample of what NY-ers get every day.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: New York Governor: 2022

Post by AndyinPA »

Great to hear!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

She's great, and on the other hand Zeldin is a crazy nutter. I believe she'll beat him handily. :pray: Seen any recent polls?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Lee Zeldin won the R nomination. Here's a bit on him:

https://www.timesunion.com/state/articl ... 278546.php
ALBANY — U.S. Rep. Lee Zeldin's path to the governor's mansion may require a different political route than Gov. George E. Pataki took in 1994, when he became the last Republican to unseat a Democratic incumbent governor in New York. By the numbers, the military veteran may still have an outsized shot in the deep-blue state, if he can carve out the electorate that U.S. Rep. Tom Suozzi carried in the Democratic gubernatorial race.

Zeldin's campaign has flown under the banner of "Save our State." The four-term Long Island congressman and many of his fellow Republicans in New York have expressed dire concern over the nation-leading scores of residents leaving the state and heading to places like Florida, Texas and Tennessee.

Zeldin is a former two-term state senator who was a U.S. Army military intelligence officer and served in Iraq during Operation Iraqi Freedom. He is a lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army reserves and is confident he can defeat Gov. Kathy Hochul, a Democrat and former Erie County clerk with a massive campaign fund, a slew of labor unions on her side and deep political ties in western New York.

Yet Zeldin is charting his path based on a belief that some Democrats will vote for a Republican because of their concerns about surging crime, spiraling gas and food prices and inflation. He'll also need support from independent voters, who represent a growing portion of the electorate.

The issues are similar to those invoked in the Democratic primary race by Suozzi, D-Long Island, but to little avail against Hochul.

The massive gains for one major party and essentially no gain for the other may be partly correlated with the population shifts as moderate and conservative retirees move to warmer, Republican-led states and liberals have made their way to New York City during a period of rapid urbanization and gentrification.

Furthermore, it is the suburban counties where the voter registration shifted most prominently that could make it more challenging to try to follow Pataki's path.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

Kathy Hochul @KathyHochul wrote: If you’re looking for a label to give me, you can just call me “Governor.”
Laura Nahmias @nahmias wrote: Newsmax’s ⁦@gregkellyusa⁩ interviews GOP nominee ⁦@leezeldin⁩ about NY governor’s race:
Kelly: “Kathy Hochul has not really done much of anything, other than, I’m sorry but, be somebody’s wife”

Zeldin: “She’s in over her head. She’s been a walking identity crisis.”
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

MAGA nominee for Gov of NY Lee Zeldin is asked his position on Greg Abbott sending buses of migrants and dropping them off in NY. Zeldin says he doesn’t have a problem with it, since Abbott is just trying to get Biden’s attention.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

To my everlasting joy Hochul won her primary with ease and is cruising to the general. She is a doer. Love her (me) or hate her (MAGA) she churns out progressive programs at an amazing rate, loudly proclaims her support for POC, reproductive rights, and the poor.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 3.18.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 3.18.36 PM.png (167.6 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Kendra wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:21 pm
MAGA nominee for Gov of NY Lee Zeldin is asked his position on Greg Abbott sending buses of migrants and dropping them off in NY. Zeldin says he doesn’t have a problem with it, since Abbott is just trying to get Biden’s attention.
What happened to picking up the phone and calling?
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

raison de arizona

Well, I mean, I feel bad for Florida. Kinda. But right on, right on.
RNC Research @RNCResearch wrote: New York Gov. Kathy Hochul tells Republicans to "jump on a bus and head down to Florida where you belong...you are not New Yorkers"
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Can we hop on the bus for the return trip?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:33 am Can we hop on the bus for the return trip?
Only if you can handle the snow....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Frater I*I wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:43 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:33 am Can we hop on the bus for the return trip?
Only if you can handle the snow....
Yeah, that's gonna be a problem for me. I am looking at Albuquerque as a possible haven. I can't take this fucker DeSantis for much longer and if he wins reelection, which he probably will, he'll be even worse.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

It does snow in Alb. Probably not much as compared to Buffalo, but probably around a foot per year according to the interwebs. The overnight lows can be quite low, especially in January.

The snow prob'ly melts away within a day or so.

Good luck in your search for a suitable location. New Mexico is open carry, so be sure to pack your Colt .45 and sling it across your hips as you amble about town. :blackeye:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Damnation, I love this woman. So far she has been the real deal. Untested as yet by major crisis, but wow is she good on the nitty gritty.

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:clap:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

I have been half-ass looking at mid-Upstate New York for my next move in a couple of years. Hopefully it stays sane.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Hochul v Zeldin debate on now:

I can't listen to much of what Zeldin says, but he is jumping around like Don Jr. in one of his Tik Toks. Hochul looks and sounds like she always does: confident, progressive, calm.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

hocul.png
hocul.png (252.09 KiB) Viewed 801 times
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 7.30.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-10-25 at 7.30.35 PM.png (263.06 KiB) Viewed 797 times

Return to “Governors & State Elections”