Inflation Nation

pipistrelle

Re: inflation

Post by pipistrelle »

tek wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:39 pm I hope she's getting seriously dragged for that..
I’m told it was deleted.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Inflation Nation

Post by raison de arizona »

But...increasing the minimum wage is what drives inflation, right?
Moar: https://neverleave.substack.com/p/75-of ... eholds-say
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

That spike at the end looks like trumpian tax laws in effect.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

According to GasBuddy, gasoline costs $3.99/gal today at the Costco I fill up at. Yay!
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I don't mind multiple threads (and have created a few duplicate ones by accident), but at least so I know should I wish to post:

Is there difference between this Inflation thread, and the Inflation Nation thread?

I left the comment in this thread since it is newest and much shorter, should the overlord wish to combine (which he may or may not due according to his wisdom and time, and I'm fine with that).
101010 :towel:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ive had people start saying "That's nice now $1.99 to go" in response to dropping gas prices.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

Suranis wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:49 pm Ive had people start saying "That's nice now $1.99 to go" in response to dropping gas prices.
You have to compare the maximum price under Biden to the minimum price under Trump to get a fair comparison.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I don't put enough miles on my car in a year for the price of gas to be a major issue for me, but I feel so sorry for my recent college graduate nieces who have fairly long commutes for their jobs. The two with the long commutes will be moving later this year when one gets married, so they'll be closer to their jobs. Then they'll just have to contend with the rise in rental rates. (As someone who had a 14% mortgage when we bought our first home in 1980, I really, really sympathize with young people today. Inflation sucks! :evil: )
raison de arizona

Rental rate increases are insane in the markets I follow, and will not be able to be absorbed by many people. I’m regularly seeing 35-45% YEARLY increases, which is just not sustainable. People are going to be hurting.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I had a real estate license when I lived in Virginia. I never sold a single house though. When I began the course interest rates were at around 7-9%. By the time I got my license they were at almost 15%. The Realty World office that hired me was in McLean where, at the time, most lots were 5+ acre estates and mansions.

Then I moved to California at the moment when real estate was beginning to be totally insane. 100 offers on a house in one day, the last one double what the first one was. Homeowners holding auctions on their front lawns. I decided not to pursue another license.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our younger daughter and SIL in Dallas had been hoping to buy a home this year or next but have been priced out of the market for now. :(

On the plus side their jobs are getting better with significant salary increases.

Our daughter is now doing vocal captioning. She watches a live event (sports, news,etc) and with AI assistance adds closed captions in real time. Big demand for that now. Her employer has told her to expect a busy Autumn. College and high school sports. Political rallies. Concerts. They have had her training for additional types of events this summer.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
tek

Post by tek »

Off Topic
Our daughter is now doing vocal captioning. She watches a live event (sports, news,etc) and with AI assistance adds closed captions in real time.
She could be the source of the next "Patsy Baloney!"
Lani

Post by Lani »

Costco gas is now $4.89. It had been $5.79 or $5.89 - I forgot what it was.

That's a big drop! Gasoline is always high in Hawaii, so I don't freak out about it.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
raison de arizona

Suranis wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:49 pm Ive had people start saying "That's nice now $1.99 to go" in response to dropping gas prices.
Also, too.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Off Topic
Volkonski wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:29 pm Our daughter is now doing vocal captioning. She watches a live event (sports, news,etc) and with AI assistance adds closed captions in real time. Big demand for that now. Her employer has told her to expect a busy Autumn. College and high school sports. Political rallies. Concerts. They have had her training for additional types of events this summer.
Poor thing, hope she doesn't get stuck having to do Trump speeches...may scar her for life!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

northland10 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:47 pm I don't mind multiple threads (and have created a few duplicate ones by accident), but at least so I know should I wish to post:

Is there difference between this Inflation thread, and the Inflation Nation thread?
 ! Message from: Foggy
When you are suggesting that I merge some duplicate threads - a thing I am very willing to do - it helps to give me a link to the thread that needs to be merged. I shall now search for the Inflation Nation thread. Thank you for your support!
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
Merged
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“US economy shrinks again sparking recession fears”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62310355

“The US economy has shrunk for the second quarter in a row, a milestone that in many countries would be considered an economic recession.
That is not the case in the US, which uses additional data to make that call.
But the contraction, at an annual rate of 0.9% in the three months to July, has drawn widespread attention as worries about the economy grow.
Prices for groceries, petrol and other basics are rising at the fastest pace since 1981.”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

My investment accounts. Interesting timeline.
166C5BBC-AB16-4C75-9ED2-2390097381E6.jpeg
166C5BBC-AB16-4C75-9ED2-2390097381E6.jpeg (131.46 KiB) Viewed 1008 times
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Similar to mine -
5 Year Portfolio.jpg
5 Year Portfolio.jpg (47.38 KiB) Viewed 983 times
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Looks to me that #45 needs to revise the claim that economy was bestest under his reign :blackeye:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I'm sure he'll get right on it. :twisted:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
raison de arizona

C0FAA00D-A96A-4D17-A8F7-9602C773340D.jpeg
C0FAA00D-A96A-4D17-A8F7-9602C773340D.jpeg (173.1 KiB) Viewed 927 times
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Predatory dealer markup, eh?

Return to “Economy”