Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Gay Marriage / LGBTQ Rights / Equality Act

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Gay Marriage / LGBTQ Rights / Equality Act

Post by Volkonski »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:50 pm
Volkonski wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:56 pm
If it's intended not to be discriminatory, then it should specifically state that NO teacher is allowed to mention any aspect of their personal life to or in front of any students, including marital status or status of any non-work-related relationship, existence or number of children, personal history, family heritage, faith or religious affiliation or other information not immediately pertinent to the cause of providing children with an education meeting the curriculum standards set by the state.
Yep. Nor should teachers tell students what their (the teachers') gender are. All teachers to be addressed only as "Professor XXX" where XXX is an identifying number. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:59 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:50 pm
Volkonski wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:56 pm
If it's intended not to be discriminatory, then it should specifically state that NO teacher is allowed to mention any aspect of their personal life to or in front of any students, including marital status or status of any non-work-related relationship, existence or number of children, personal history, family heritage, faith or religious affiliation or other information not immediately pertinent to the cause of providing children with an education meeting the curriculum standards set by the state.
Yep. Nor should teachers tell students what their (the teachers') gender are. All teachers to be addressed only as "Professor XXX" where XXX is an identifying number. ;)
Or just call every teacher "Professor X" without changing the X to a number and everyone can cosplay being mutants.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Lani

Post by Lani »

Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Their insane rhetoric has real world consequences.
Robbie 🌮🦝 @Robbiepierce wrote: Well that didn't take long. We decided to take a trip on Amtrak with the kids for spring break. 9 hours into a pleasant ride, a man was suddenly standing next to me, shouting across me at my 6yo son, "Remember what I told you. They stole you. They're pedophiles." 🧵

I stood between the stranger and my son, whose life has already been so hard, who carries traumas larger than his whole small, fierce frame. I was immovable. "Get away from my family." [2/10]

"Family!? That's not a family! You're rapists. You steal black & Asian kids." My son and my 5yo daughter were both now openly crying, petrified. He yelled right at them, unmoved: "These guys aren't natural. Homosexuals are an abomination. They steal and rape kids." [3/10]

It was suddenly no longer an absurd, abstract attack in an online comments section or a distant legislative session. These horrors were being screamed @ my sweet bewildered son, who's worked so hard to process his grief & control his feelings, who only wants love & safety. [4/10]
:snippity:
https://twitter.com/Robbiepierce/status ... 6214621185
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:mad: Throw the book at them!
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

How convenient that Georgia added that hate crime law to the books a couple of years ago.
Image Image Image Image
raison de arizona

No Lie with Brian Tyler Cohen @NoLieWithBTC wrote: NEW: The Florida Department of Health just issued guidelines telling doctors to medically de-transition all transgender youth and banned them from social transition treatment, including “name, pronoun, and clothing changes.”

Here is the memo from the Florida Department of Health saying that “social gender transition” should NOT be an option for youth, including “name, pronoun, and clothing changes.”
https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status ... 0133893120
https://www.floridahealth.gov/_document ... idance.pdf
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Is DeSantis in the closet or what? This is absurd, outrageous and fucking dangerous.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

It's really easy to pick on transgender people. They don't have the numbers to outvote any of these horrors. So it's up to the rest of us to defend them and make sure they are treated equally.

I honestly don't understand trans people. I can't imagine feeling what they feel, or thinking the way they think. But I will fight to ensure they are treated equally. This is the United States of America, unless it isn't.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Nothing will happen unless major employers start moving out of Florida.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Back when I was born, no ultrasound. The nuns at the hospital and all mom’s friends and my parents were sure I was going to be a boy from the way she carried me in utero. They were so sure, in fact that they only picked a boy’s name for me - Kevin. My name, which has become synonymous with bitchy control freaks, was the closest thing they could think of on short notice.

I dont think that’s why, but I chafed at being a girl growing up. The boys had more freedom. We had to wear dresses or skirts at school - even in high school. In seventh grade, after I figured out the guys were all looking up our skirts every chance they got, I cheated and wore shorts under my skirts. I was too shy to tell that to Mr. Robinson, the headmaster, when I was busted for it, so I told the nurse and she stood up for me.

What we have heedlessly dumped into our environment for 50+ years, I believe, has something to do with the gender dysphoria coming to light more and more lately. If it can change the orientation of the critters that live in the swampiness we’ve created, why not humans, too? WE know, even if THEY don’t, that gender (and sexuality) are on a continuum. It’s not as simple as XX or XY. Was it ever?

I don’t completely understand the trans movement, but I don’t judge. Why can’t these Xtian freaks just let people be?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Phoenix520 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:03 pm I don’t completely understand the trans movement, but I don’t judge.
My first experience of learning of a trans person was in the early 90s. A good friend of mine was dating (online -- usenet,chat,IRC) a woman by the name of Kim. My friend is a lesbian. Kim then was a married man with two teenage children. Left his wife and kids to move across state lines to be with my friend Linda and went through the HRT therapy to be female.

Even being the sexually fluid guy I was/am, it confused me all to heck for a bit --- leaving his (her) family to be a woman to be with a woman. :confuzzled:

But I figured it out. It makes sense.

The spectrum.
Lani

Post by Lani »

When was I was pregnant, I was told told my baby was intersex. I was pushed to have an abortion. I refused. My partner left me. (He came back.) After my baby was born, a geneticist told me that the amniocentesis included both my dna & the fetus.

So I had a male baby. But the I remember my of love for my baby no matter what.

Argh. Typos. I was in a lot of pain yesterday. Exhausted and on pain pills.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Lani wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:30 am When was I was pregnant, I was told told my baby was intersex. I was pushed to abortion. I refused. My partner left me. It turned out that the amniocentesis included my dna & the fetus. So I had a male baby. But the I remember my of love baby no matter what.
:lovestruck: :bighug:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

If it wouldn’t end up in their termination, somebody should organize an “It’s Pat!”Day for school. People (students, teachers, staff) could dress up.
C71F0A6E-8876-4A8B-A812-E03F15EBF490.jpeg
C71F0A6E-8876-4A8B-A812-E03F15EBF490.jpeg (41.12 KiB) Viewed 945 times
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Sweeping across the fruited plain.
Heartland Signal @HeartlandSignal wrote: Missouri State Rep. Pollock (R) presents her anti-trans "Save Adolescents from Experimentation" bill, saying youth questioning their gender is like an "infection that becomes septic" and that autism may be an underlying cause.

Reps. Weber (D) and Ingle (D) call her out.
raison de arizona

Willie @WillieETCarver wrote: I'm a proud gay man, I am the 2022 Kentucky Teacher of the Year, and I'm afraid to return to the classroom.

I want kids to see me and feel hope, but I am tired. I've been doing this for a long time, and things are getting worse.

This is painful and I am sorry.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Another schism. :yawn: Over time ideas about science and math tend toward consensus. F=MA and E=MC2 everywhere. :thumbsup: Ideas about religion do not tend toward consensus. :nope:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... lia-thomas
Penn Quakers swim team members show support for transgender athlete Lia Thomas

Members of the University of Pennsylvania women's swimming and diving team released a statement Tuesday in support of transgender teammate Lia Thomas.

"We want to express our full support for Lia in her transition," the athletes said. "We value her as a person, teammate, and friend. The sentiments put forward by an anonymous member of our team are not representative of the feelings, values, and opinions of the entire Penn team, composed of 39 women with diverse backgrounds."

Since Thomas' record-setting performance at the Zippy Invitational in December, multiple outlets have published anonymous critical comments attributed to members of the Penn swimming and diving community, including swimmers and parents. Outside of Tuesday's statement, no members of the swimming team or the coaching staff have made official comments to the media.

Said the athletes in the statement, "We recognize this is a matter of great controversy and are doing our best to navigate it while still focusing on doing our best in the pool and classroom."
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
raison de arizona

Love it, too bad it won't be in general circulation. I'll have to order one.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:51 pm Love it, too bad it won't be in general circulation. I'll have to order one.
I should be back in London as of Saturday evening, and will have to see how easy it is to obtain one locally and start making lists of friends to send gifts. The benefits of a Diplomatic Post Office... :)
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona

Soldiers Facing Discrimination from State Laws Could Request Transfers Under Draft Army Policy

The Army is circulating a draft policy tweak that would specify that soldiers can request to move if they feel state or local laws discriminate against them based on gender, sex, religion, race or pregnancy, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the plans.

The guidance, which would update a vague service policy to add specific language on discrimination, is far from final and would need approval from Army Secretary Christine Wormuth. But if enacted, it could be one of the most progressive policies for the force amid a growing wave of local anti-LGBTQ and restrictive contraception laws in conservative-leaning states, where the Army does most of its business.

The policy would ostensibly sanction soldiers to declare that certain states are too racist, too homophobic, too sexist or otherwise discriminatory to be able to live there safely and comfortably.

"Some states are becoming untenable to live in; there's a rise in hate crimes and rise in LGBT discrmination," Lindsay Church, executive director of Minority Veterans of America, an advocacy group, told Military.com. "In order to serve this country, people need to be able to do their job and know their families are safe. All of these states get billions for bases but barely tolerate a lot of the service members."

If finalized, the new rules would clarify what situations would entitle a soldier to a so-called compassionate reassignment. Right now, those rules are vague but are mostly used for soldiers going through family problems that cannot be solved through "leave, correspondence, power of attorney, or help of family members or other parties," according to Army regulations.
:snippity:
https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... olicy.html

Return to “Current Politics”