US v Peter Navarro

Rolodex

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Rolodex »

"Throwing political opponents behind bars" - Um, he was convicted of a crime. It was capricious, it wasn't arbitrary. And the absolute lack of self awareness of this same crowd chanting "lock her up"....for political reasons.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

US v Peter Navarro

Post by raison de arizona »

An interesting side note to this:
https://x.com/steve_vladeck/status/1769 ... 05719?s=20
Steve Vladeck @steve_vladeck wrote: Here’s something we haven’t seen since 2014: An “in-chambers” opinion from a #SCOTUS Justice—this one from Chief Justice Roberts denying Peter Navarro’s emergency request to avoid having to report to federal prison tomorrow:
An in-chambers opinion is written by an individual Justice to dispose of an application by a party for interim relief, e.g., for a stay of the judgment of the court below, for vacation of a stay, or for a temporary injunction.
https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/in-chambers.aspx
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Rolodex

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Rolodex »

Who else will be having a bit of tasty schadenfreude with their dinner tonight? Toast yourself that you're not going to prison tomorrow!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
raison de arizona

US v Peter Navarro

Republicans are driving a cottage industry of prison consultants, it would appear.
When Peter Navarro goes to prison, he’ll hear the lions roar

Former Trump White House adviser Peter Navarro hopes to spend his next few months working in air conditioning and sleeping in a dormitory for “elderly” male inmates at a prison next to a zoo.

Navarro, 74, must report to prison on Tuesday after the Supreme Court on Monday afternoon rejected his request for a last-minute reprieve.

He is set to become the first former White House official ever jailed for contempt of Congress when he reports to a minimum-security federal Bureau of Prisons satellite camp in Miami.

“Not only can you hear the lions … you can hear the lions roar every morning,” said Sam Mangel, Navarro’s prison consultant.

“He’s nervous,” Mangel told CNN of Navarro. “Anybody, regardless of the length of their sentence, is going into an unknown world.”

Mangel is part of a cottage industry in the legal world meant to help prepare well-heeled convicts and their families for time behind bars. He said he spoke with Navarro on Monday.
:snippity:
https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/18/politics ... index.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Frater I*I »

Rolodex wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:43 pm Who else will be having a bit of tasty schadenfreude with their dinner tonight? Toast yourself that you're not going to prison tomorrow!
So interesting thing, lil' ole Frater did 105 days in county, it was like an adult day care center, min sec Club Fed is certainly better than a county jailhouse...

It just goes to show how much of a punk Navarro is, 4 month is only two weeks longer than I did....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona

US v Peter Navarro

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:54 pm
Rolodex wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:43 pm Who else will be having a bit of tasty schadenfreude with their dinner tonight? Toast yourself that you're not going to prison tomorrow!
So interesting thing, lil' ole Frater did 105 days in county, it was like an adult day care center, min sec Club Fed is certainly better than a county jailhouse...

It just goes to show how much of a punk Navarro is, 4 month is only two weeks longer than I did....
But did you engage a prison consultant? :lol:
qbawl

US v Peter Navarro

Post by qbawl »

But did you engage a prison consultant? :lol:
Does '3 fingers Louie count?
Rolodex

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Rolodex »

Wait...a "prison consultant"? Is that a thing? Did he really do that?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

US v Peter Navarro

Post by northland10 »

Luke wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:01 pm Luke Johnson 🇺🇸 @Orly_licious 5m
Supreme Court Justice Roberts rejected Peter Navarro’s last-ditch bid to stay out of prison. FCI Miami tomorrow 3/19/24.

Connie Francis sang it best: "Who's Sorry Now". "You had your way / Now you must pay / I'm glad that you're sorry now" ⚖️

:like:
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

US v Peter Navarro

Rolodex wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:17 pm Wait...a "prison consultant"? Is that a thing? Did he really do that?
Indeed he did, and it probably cost him upwards of ten grand, my googling indicates.
New Turtle

US v Peter Navarro

Post by New Turtle »

Lol yes pay them $10K to learn how to play spades and get in line early if you want to use the phone.
northland10

US v Peter Navarro

Post by northland10 »

For completeness, here is the government's response to SCOTUS.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/ ... %20USA.pdf
raison de arizona

US v Peter Navarro

Rigged!
https://twitter.com/realpnavarro/status ... 9837989325
Peter Navarro @RealPNavarro wrote: One of the three DEM judges was on BOTH the panel that received my appeal AND the panel that ruled on the appeal. The odds of this are LESS THAN ONE PERCENT.
Peter Navarro @RealPNavarro wrote: SOME CURIOUS BLACK ROBE MATH
The three panel Appeals Court that denied my release pending appeal were ALL Obama-appointed Democrats. The odds of that are a mere 21%. The draw is supposed to be RANDOM. Do you believe:
tek

US v Peter Navarro

Post by tek »

Wait, isn't Navarro allegedly an economist?
Shouldn't he know how statistics work?

Oh, right, Republican. Never mind.
pipistrelle

US v Peter Navarro

Post by pipistrelle »

Desperate not to go to prison. Could have saved the time and money by showing up. Weird.
northland10

US v Peter Navarro

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:36 am Desperate not to go to prison. Could have saved the time and money by showing up. Weird.
The MAGA way is to fight, fight, fight (delay, delay, delay) and more fight, fight, fight. Winning is not as important.

Fighting is winning. Actually succeeding is not as important. Strategic withdrawals are for wimps.
AndyinPA
Verified:

US v Peter Navarro

Post by AndyinPA »

Maybe it could turn into a life sentence? :shrug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
noblepa

US v Peter Navarro

Post by noblepa »

tek wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:07 am Wait, isn't Navarro allegedly an economist?
Shouldn't he know how statistics work?

Oh, right, Republican. Never mind.
I think it was Mark Twain who said "There are lies, damned lies and statistics".

One problem with statistics is that, to someone who doesn't understand how it works, statistics can be made to seem to show just about anything one wants it to show.

Plus, an out and out lie that is seemingly backed up by statistics, can be difficult to debunk, because so many people have a serious lack of understanding of the science.
Rolodex

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Rolodex »

I guess media will be there to see Pete rolling up to the pokey? I hope Anarchy Princess made it so she can yell at him one last time.

Does anyone know where he actually lives? Is it FL and that's why he's in prison there? Too bad he didn't draw the one in Pensacola - that's supposedly the "best" fed lock up.
northland10

US v Peter Navarro

Post by northland10 »

He reported, but gave a brief presser in a shopping center parking lot before hand.

Gift
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/19/us/p ... =url-share
At a hastily organized news conference shortly before he was set to check into the Federal Correctional Institution in Miami, a low-security prison next to the Miami-Dade zoo, Mr. Navarro reprised familiar denunciations of the Justice Department and the Biden administration.

Speaking in the parking lot of a commercial plaza, flanked by a pizza store and a pawnshop, he cast blame on the federal trial judge in his case, as well as Mr. Biden and a long list of politicians he said were motivated by hostility toward Mr. Trump.
raison de arizona

US v Peter Navarro

:yankyank:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Slim Cognito »

Suck it up, Buttercup.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

US v Peter Navarro

Post by Frater I*I »

Rolodex wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:48 pm :snippity:

Does anyone know where he actually lives? Is it FL and that's why he's in prison there? Too bad he didn't draw the one in Pensacola - that's supposedly the "best" fed lock up.
BoP policy is to house an inmate at a facility [that has the necessary security level] nearest the prisoner's last known address...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
northland10

US v Peter Navarro

Post by northland10 »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:06 pm
Rolodex wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:48 pm :snippity:

BoP policy is to house an inmate at a facility [that has the necessary security level] nearest the prisoner's last known address...
Are they putting him in FDC Miami due to the short term, or FCI Miami? There is a tennis court FCI Miami. I guess that makes it a club fed. Looking at some of the prior guests and the low security, FCI Miami rather makes sense.
chancery
Verified:

US v Peter Navarro

Post by chancery »

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1770142393444007938
Josh Marshall
@joshtpm
I’ve gotta a pretty firm rule that I never celebrate people showing up for prison. And it’s because it’s a terrible (which isn’t to say it’s wrong or unnecessary) thing to see, even when it’s right and deserved. But this dude is really straining my system. I mean stfu already.
Justin Baragona
@justinbaragona

Fox News anchor Sandra Smith cuts away from Peter Navarro's speech outside of prison:

"To fact check there, it is no longer an alleged crime... he has obviously been convicted and there was no evidence that would have excluded him, per executive privilege, from testifying.
"

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1770147103890686296
Josh Marshall
@joshtpm
To follow up on my post about the awfulness of going to prison (even when right, deserved etc.), many people who've done even really really bad things, when they're being faced with the consequences wld really love backsies, another chance, some way out. The nature of this ...

2/ fool's crimes is he had literally years of the justice system (and congress) saying basically, just do this simple easy thing and it all goes away. you can just say, okay, sorry about that. most crimes you can't do that. but here literally years of chances and instead ...

3/ just no i'm going to keep dying on this facially nonsensical hill and for a thorough reprobate (but obviously that's a different matter, some people like reprobates). So like dude, you seemed to really REALLY want to spend 4 months in prison for no reason even though ...

4/ you've dragged and it forever and essentially live blogged the whole thing. Like I actually followed Navarro since long before he was even associated with Trump and even with that I feel like I barely knew who he was before he made his name fighting this one ...

5/ pointless fight. So really, if you must, please just spend 4 months in prison. For once I really can't get to worked up about it.

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”