Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

D.C. vs. Zuckerberg (Cambridge Analytica Data Breach)

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

D.C. Sues Zuckerberg Over Cambridge Analytica Data Breach
A “sweeping investigation” revealed that Zuckerberg contributed to lax oversight of user data and the creation of misleading privacy agreements that resulted in the massive Cambridge Analytica breach.

Bloomberg News | May 23, 2022

(Bloomberg) -- The District of Columbia said it sued Meta Platforms Inc. Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg for his alleged role in the data breach that allowed political consulting firm Cambridge Analytica to target Facebook users during the 2016 presidential election.

A “sweeping investigation” revealed that Zuckerberg contributed to lax oversight of user data and the creation of misleading privacy agreements that resulted in Cambridge Analytica and other third parties getting their hands on the personal information of 87 million Americans, D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine said in a statement on Monday.

Cambridge Analytica was hired by then-candidate Donald Trump during his 2016 campaign against Hillary Clinton. Racine called it “the largest consumer privacy scandal in the nation’s history.”

The lawsuit mirrors an earlier suit Racine filed against Facebook in 2018, though the judge overseeing that case rejected as “almost bad faith” the Democratic attorney general’s attempt to add Zuckerberg as a defendant earlier this year.

https://www.itprotoday.com/data-privacy ... ata-breach
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: D.C. vs. Zuckerberg (Cambridge Analytica Data Breach)

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... id-article
Van Morrison takes legal action against Northern Ireland health department and minister over Covid article
The musician’s action comes in response to a Rolling Stone article by minister Robin Swann defending his department’s response to the pandemic

Van Morrison has issued legal proceedings against Northern Ireland’s Department of Health and its minister Robin Swann over an opinion piece written for Rolling Stone magazine.

In September 2020, Morrison released three anti-lockdown songs, with lyrics that accused scientists of “making up crooked facts”.

“The new normal is not normal,” he sang. “We were born to be free.”

In the piece, Swann expressed “a real feeling of disappointment” in Morrison, who he acknowledged as a “music legend”.

“If you see it all as a big conspiracy, then you are less likely to follow the vital public health advice that keeps you and others safe,” Swann wrote.

“His words will give great comfort to the conspiracy theorists – the tinfoil hat brigade who crusade against masks and vaccines and think this is all a huge global plot to remove freedoms.”

Swann called Morrison’s actions “bizarre and irresponsible” and said: “I only hope no one takes him seriously. He’s no guru, no teacher.”
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Swann called Morrison’s actions “bizarre and irresponsible” and said: “I only hope no one takes him seriously. He’s no guru, no teacher.”
For those who may have missed the reference, the title of Van Morrison's 1986 album was No Guru No Method No Teacher. It was one of his better efforts.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I can only think that Mr Moondance is more concerned with his livelihood that the lives of his fans.

He started to go sour a while back. He sell by is long gone.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I was once a huge fan. Emphasis on "once."
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:45 pm I was once a huge fan.
Why?

What was ever redeeming about him?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Well….
Moondance
It’s All Over Now Baby Blue
Blue Money
Tupelo Honey
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:51 pm Well….
Moondance
It’s All Over Now Baby Blue
Blue Money
Tupelo Honey
Also, Brown Eyed Girl, Domino, Washing Windows. . .
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer

Moon Dance was a favorite of mine. Hubby and I love to dance, we both have October birthdays and were married on his 25th birthday. :mad:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:56 am Moon Dance was a favorite of mine. Hubby and I love to dance, we both have October birthdays and were married on his 25th birthday. :mad:
It was my wedding song, since we were married on October 31st and wanted to avoid Halloween song cliches.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Tiredretiredlawyer

:dance:
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... smsnnews11
Meta agrees to pay $725 million to settle Cambridge Analytica class action lawsuit

Facebook’s parent company Meta has agreed to pay $725 million to settle a years-long class action lawsuit triggered by disclosures in 2018 that the company shared user data with consulting firm Cambridge Analytica that was used for political advertising.

The settlement (which can be read in full here, via Reuters) does not include an admission of wrongdoing on Meta’s part, and will still have to be approved by federal judges in the Northern District of California, reports CNBC. The settlement document states that the $725 million fee is the largest ever in a data privacy class action case, as well as the most Facebook has ever paid to resolve a class action lawsuit.

The lawsuit was originally prompted by the Cambridge Analytica scandal, in which it was revealed that Facebook shared data on some 87 million users (collected via a personality quiz app, “This Is Your Digital Life”) with the consulting firm in question. The scandal gained considerable attention not only because of what it revealed about Facebook’s lax approach to user privacy, but because of Cambridge Analytica’s involvement with Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign. The class-action lawsuit was later expanded to cover other instances of Facebook sharing user data with third-parties without proper consent.

The settlement says Meta has “meaningfully changed” its data-sharing practices since the 2018 scandal, and no longer allows third-parties access to the same data about users.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”