Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Legal funions

Suranis

Legal funions

Post by Suranis »

For the record the little bit of Latin in my sig "sic hunt Draconis" is google translate Latin for "Here be Dragons."
Hic sunt dracones
KickahaOta

Legal funions

Post by KickahaOta »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:07 am
TheOnion wrote:Bona vacantia. De bonis asportatis. Writ of certiorari.
De minimis. Jus accrescendi. Forum non conveniens.
Corpus juris. Ad hominem tu quoque. Post hoc ergo
propter hoc. Quod est demonstrandum. Actus reus.
Scandalum magnatum. Pactum reservati dominii.
And just to quickly hit the legal meanings:
  • Bona vacantia: Property whose owner can't be determined.
  • De bonis asportatis: Wrongfully taking someone's property; larceny.
  • Writ of certiorari: The order from the Supreme Court accepting review of a case.
  • De minimis: Short for de minimus non curat lex -- "The law does not concern itself with trifles." Describing an issue that technically falls under the jurisdiction of the court, but that's so low-stakes that the court refuses to take it.
  • Jus accrescendi: The right of survivorship. When tenants jointly own a property and one of them dies, the remaining owner(s) inherit the deceased's stake in the property.
  • Forum non conveniens: "This court can technically hear this case, but there's a different court that could do so much more easily under the circumstances, so go there."
  • Corpus juris: The set of laws in a particular place.
  • Ad hominem to quoque: Attacking the person making a point rather than attacking the point.
  • Post hoc ergo propter hoc: The logical fallacy that if Action Y happens after Action X, then Action X must have caused Action Y.
  • Quod est demonstrandum: "I've proven the thing I set out to prove."
  • Actus reus: The act that a law criminalizes. (As opposed to mens rea, the mental state -- willfulness, recklessness, etc. -- that the law requires in order for that act to be a crime.)
  • Scandalum magnatum: In English law, libel or slander committed against a peer, a judge, or some other important officer of the government.
  • Pactum reservati dominii: An agreement in which a seller allows a buyer to possess a piece of property, but legal title to the property remains with the seller until the buyer finishes paying for it.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Legal funions

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Suranis wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:24 am For the record the little bit of Latin in my sig "sic hunt Draconis" is google translate Latin for "Here be Dragons."
I thought that's what it meant - I dunno why, but it just seems appropriate for you :)
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Legal funions

Post by Kriselda Gray »

KickahaOta wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:45 am
And just to quickly hit the legal meanings:
Ooh, very nice! Thank you, KickahaOta
humblescribe
Verified:

Legal funions

Post by humblescribe »

I gleaned that this brief was also poking the Supremes themselves:

The point of all this is not that it is funny when
deluded figures of authority mistake satire for the ac-
tual news—even though that can be extremely funny.
Rather, it’s that the parody allows these figures to
puncture their own sense of self-importance by falling
for what any reasonable person would recognize as an
absurd escalation of their own views. In the political
context, the effect can be particularly pronounced. See
Hustler Mag., Inc. v. Falwell, 485 U.S. 46, 53–55 (1988);
see also Falwell v. Flynt, 805 F.2d 484, 487 (4th Cir.
1986) (Wilkinson, J., dissenting from denial of rehear-
ing) (“Nothing is more thoroughly democratic than to
have the high-and-mighty lampooned and spoofed.”).

I believe that many (like 5) of the justices are too wooden and too sober. They take themselves much too seriously. They are one-dimensional. Sure, they have a mighty important role in our country. But if they cannot laugh at themselves, if they cannot take it on the chin when they fuck up, then they have no business deciding how life ought to be for the rest of us in the US of A. (And while I'm at it, perhaps the legal profession ought to chill on occasion.)

And I wonder if the message in this brief will even resonate with some of the justices. It might be beyond their comprehension. I think that beyond their black robes and law clerks, some of them are truly dumb.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
roadscholar

Legal funions

Post by roadscholar »

Is “actus reus” supposed to be “laughable action?”
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Volkonski
Verified:

Legal funions

Post by Volkonski »

Kansas man convicted of threatening to kill congressman

https://apnews.com/article/politics-alb ... 1148de7b08
Neill acted as his own attorney and cross-examined LaTurner on the witness stand Wednesday. Neill testified Thursday that he was a messenger from God and he passed along a message from God threatening LaTurner for ignoring concerns about sorcery, wizards, extraterrestrials and a war for people’s souls.

Federal prosecutors said Neill fixated on LaTurner before leaving an after-hours voicemail June 5 with the congressman’s Topeka office that included, “I will kill you.” LaTurner testified that he worried about his family’s and staff’s safety and beefed up security at his home and Topeka office.

:snippity:

Neill told jurors he values his soul and was required by God to act when he “heard the sound of the trumpet.”

He also showed jurors a LinkedIn page for himself, saying he dealt with “matters concerning over 400 million lives lost with high sorcery.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”