Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

JOE BIDEN

Let's get back to normalcy. Does normalcy fit into your schedule?
Suranis

Re: JOE BIDEN

Post by Suranis »

Hic sunt dracones
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

What is maddening about this is the whole Biden has dementia and can't put together a coherent sentence narrative. It's manifestly untrue. And yet they keep on saying it, and millions keep on believing it. Like him or don't like him, but as in all other things, can we quit making things up that are clearly not even true?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:12 pm What is maddening about this is the whole Biden has dementia and can't put together a coherent sentence narrative. It's manifestly untrue. And yet they keep on saying it, and millions keep on believing it. Like him or don't like him, but as in all other things, can we quit making things up that are clearly not even true?
Alas, we cannot.

It's a byproduct of the whole arrogance vs piety argument.

I think I've given my take on this before, but the TL;DR version is that it's considered, in some circles, arrogance and therefore wrong to say "My opponent is a good person and wants that they think is best for the country, but my way is better;" but it's actual piety and the fighting of the war 'twixt Heaven and Hell and thus a duty to declare "My opponent is evil and stands for all things evil and I am good and stand for all things good."

It's simply easier to paint the fight as good versus evil as opposed to lesser good versus greater good. It allows us to dismiss those not of our tribe as 'evil' rather than weigh substantive merits of their concerns.

Until we lose that intellectual laziness as a people, it's going to continue to be so.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

Ben-Prime wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:22 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:12 pm What is maddening about this is the whole Biden has dementia and can't put together a coherent sentence narrative. It's manifestly untrue. And yet they keep on saying it, and millions keep on believing it. Like him or don't like him, but as in all other things, can we quit making things up that are clearly not even true?
Alas, we cannot.

I think I've given my take on this before, but the TL;DR version is that it's considered, in some circles, arrogance and therefore wrong to say "My opponent is a good person and wants that they think is best for the country, but my way is better;" but it's actual piety and the fighting of the war 'twixt Heaven and Hell and thus a duty to declare "My opponent is evil and stands for all things evil and I am good and stand for all things good."

It's simply easier to paint the fight as good versus evil as opposed to lesser good versus greater good. It allows us to dismiss those not of our tribe as 'evil' rather than weigh substantive merits of their concerns.

Until we lose that intellectual laziness as a people, it's going to continue to be so.
Remember these days?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:25 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:22 pm
Alas, we cannot.

Remember these days?
Yep. It's sad that this was only, what, a decade and a half ago?

bob

Post by bob »

Ben-Prime wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:32 pm Yep. It's sad that this was only, what, a decade and a half ago?
Yup; 2008.

IMO, McCain at that point in the campaign had realized that he sold his soul (to get the nomination) and still was going to lose (the general election), so there was no further harm in doing the right thing (for once).
Image ImageImage
Lani

Post by Lani »

I have news channels on all day while I work. I heard nothing about this.

Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:brickwallsmall: now that's the most stupid statement in a while.

What does Congress think they can do about the shipping industry? It's a complex network that not only includes ships per se but also deliveries to ports and forwarding of goods out of ports, port berthing capacities at both end of the journey, and least but not last the availability of empty containers at the right location at the right time. Pricing is the result of getting hands on a scarce resource.

All while covid still influences availability of the workforce in the transportation sector worldwide.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

found this
CONGRESS CHOOSES SEN. AMY KLOBUCHAR’S SHIPPING CARTEL BILL OVER STRONGER HOUSE VERSION
Rep. John Garamendi wanted a stronger crackdown but said the Senate version should nevertheless help ease pressure on global supply chains.

Sara Sirota
June 8 2022, 9:17 p.m.

AS U.S. CONSUMERS struggle with soaring prices and supply shortages, the highly concentrated industry that delivers their goods from overseas is making extraordinary profits — an expected record-breaking $300 billion in 2022, according to British market research firm Drewry. While an emboldened Federal Reserve is willing to risk a crushing recession to bring down prices — and Democrats have offered little resistance to interest rate hikes — Congress is turning to an alternative solution too little seen: passing and enacting legislation.

Next week, the House is set to hold a final vote on a popular bipartisan measure to ease pressure on the clogged global supply chains and seaports that are contributing to higher prices. The Ocean Shipping Reform Act will crack down on shipping companies currently exploiting their market power to raise fees, deny transport for exporters, and turn record profits in the process.

Reps. John Garamendi, D-Calif., and Dusty Johnson, R-S.D., have been working with Sens. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., and John Thune, R-S.D., for months to reconcile the different approaches to reform the legislators introduced in their respective chambers. With an agreement finally in place, the impending vote tees the bill up to go to the White House for President Joe Biden’s signature, Garamendi, who first sponsored the House version, told The Intercept.

Neither piece of legislation goes all the way to overturn the antitrust immunity that has emboldened shipping companies, nor does either bring the hammer down on the consolidated agriculture industry that’s hoping to reduce its shipping costs. But Garamendi’s bill is stronger, and it has already overwhelmingly passed the chamber multiple times over the past year, both as a stand-alone and as an amendment to larger pieces of legislation. Klobuchar and Thune’s measure, a watered-down version that’s more tolerable for the shipping industry, passed the Senate unanimously in March. It was ultimately the latter measure that prevailed in reconciliation discussions and will arrive on the House floor next week.

https://theintercept.com/2022/06/08/shi ... garamendi/
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

intro page

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-con ... -bill/4996

legislation text

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-con ... /4996/text

Text is the amendments to existing law, not the total revised text.

Also too, once signed into law it takes time to revise and activate the associated rules. Any quick shot thru EO will just be messy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

THE COUP - President Biden toppled :!:

raison de arizona

Already a meme on Truth…
4697D48B-E973-4216-B2D0-7A46CC994D99.jpeg
4697D48B-E973-4216-B2D0-7A46CC994D99.jpeg (146.88 KiB) Viewed 776 times
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

My reaction:
DAMN I WISH I WERE IN AS GOOD A SHAPE AND HAD THEM LEGS.
tek

Post by tek »

Can you imagine TFG on a bicycle?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

tek wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:53 pm Can you imagine TFG on a bicycle?
I could imagine him on an adult tricycle. Is that the same? 8-)
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

I ride with a similar pair of toe clips on my bike. It's tricky getting your foot out when you come to an unanticipated stop like that. I didn't get a good look, but his appear to have a strap in the back. In stop-and-go urban environments, I'd recommend removing that strap. As a fellow bike rider, I'm happy when I see any other fallen rider get up.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

busterbunker wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:08 pm I ride with a similar pair of toe clips on my bike. It's tricky getting your foot out when you come to an unanticipated stop like that. I didn't get a good look, but his appear to have a strap in the back. In stop-and-go urban environments, I'd recommend removing that strap. As a fellow bike rider, I'm happy when I see any other fallen rider get up.
That's why I don't have anything like that. I'm capable of falling on my own without help. :lol:
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:13 pm
So, it's like a golf cart for the physically competent, is what she's saying.

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

busterbunker wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:08 pm I ride with a similar pair of toe clips on my bike. It's tricky getting your foot out when you come to an unanticipated stop like that. I didn't get a good look, but his appear to have a strap in the back. In stop-and-go urban environments, I'd recommend removing that strap. As a fellow bike rider, I'm happy when I see any other fallen rider get up.
I use mountain bike cleats on my bike. When I haven't ridden for a while it usually takes me about 3 goes to get the unclipping move right, and after 5 or 6 it is entirely unconscious. Plus I can actually walk around in the shoes, except for the metal clip and full stiff shank that is 'buried' in the sole, it is a normal walking shoe.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:44 pm My reaction:
DAMN I WISH I WERE IN AS GOOD A SHAPE AND HAD THEM LEGS.
:yeahthat:
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona

Biden has thirty years on me, and is in better shape. tfg- not so much. Anyway.

Return to “Biden Administration”