JOE BIDEN

Let's get back to normalcy. Does normalcy fit into your schedule?
pipistrelle

Re: JOE BIDEN

Post by pipistrelle »

But does he say “fuck a duck”?
filly

Post by filly »

All I know is a lot of my Dem friends are very disappointed in Joe.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Joe is not the problem

manchin and sinema are

Joe is FANTASTIC
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

sad-cafe wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:54 pm Joe is not the problem

manchin and sinema are

Joe is FANTASTIC
This is what many Democrats do. Republicans don't care how mediocre their leaders' performances are as long as they bring in the votes and peddle fear and hatred. Many Democrats expect perfection and are sorely disappointed when it doesn't materialize. As long as they keep expecting what they can't get, they're not going to be on a sustained winning streak, and democracy loses. Have high expectations but don't clutch the pearls when they aren't 100 percent met.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:yeah: Joe Biden is great. Unfortunately, Democrats only technically have control of the Senate, but with Manchin and Sinema, they are just fucked. And so are we. And so is Biden. He can only do so much. I have always hated Manchin, but Sinema is a flat out plant, I guarantee it. A freaking trojan horse, I am convinced of it.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Profanity? So what? Go chill and listen to George Carlin!
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:31 pm Profanity? So what? Go chill and listen to George Carlin!
Yeah, so? People who use profanity are far superior to people who grab women by their pussies. IMO.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

RVInit wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:26 pm :yeah: Joe Biden is great. Unfortunately, Democrats only technically have control of the Senate, but with Manchin and Sinema, they are just fucked. And so are we. And so is Biden. He can only do so much. I have always hated Manchin, but Sinema is a flat out plant, I guarantee it. A freaking trojan horse, I am convinced of it.
Mark my words, if the GQP gains control of the senate after the midterms, both of them will go over to the dark side...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
filly

Post by filly »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:34 pm
sad-cafe wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:54 pm Joe is not the problem

manchin and sinema are

Joe is FANTASTIC
This is what many Democrats do. Republicans don't care how mediocre their leaders' performances are as long as they bring in the votes and peddle fear and hatred. Many Democrats expect perfection and are sorely disappointed when it doesn't materialize. As long as they keep expecting what they can't get, they're not going to be on a sustained winning streak, and democracy loses. Have high expectations but don't clutch the pearls when they aren't 100 percent met.
I figured many of you would react this way. These people are highly educated and have been around the block a few times. They live all over the country. This is reflected in the polls. It’s not about perfection.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Are people really upset that Biden swears? I've never been in a meeting where people didn't. Fuck 'em, they probably voted for Trump anyway. That's the POS that told Hope Hicks "she's the 'best piece of tail' Corey Lewandowski will ever have". Now that's unacceptable language.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Didn't we have this discussion about Obama? Healthcare was his focus when he became president. And he got it done - not as well as we hoped, but amazing given the hate-obama gang. Remember how the GQP met after his inauguration to discuss how to destroy him? Same thing now, and again the media promote it has well.

This time, the GQP promoted an insurrection. It's getting worse.

If Biden spoke the way that they do, the press would slaughter him for talking like that. It's ok if you are GQP.

We're in dangerous times, and shitting on Biden isn't helping. He'll get some legislation passed, but it will be watered down. At least, it's a beginning - like the ACA.

It always amazes me that the right wing can instantly shift a position (and pretend they didn't) if they can get their way, while the left wing rants if it can't get everything it wants right now.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:53 pm But does he say “fuck a duck”?
I bet he knows the whole thing!

Fuck a duck
Screw a pigeon
Go to hell
And teach religion

All I know is a lot of my Dem friends are very disappointed in Joe.
Filly:
What specifically are they disappointed about?
Are your educated friends as steeped in weirdos as we are? Do they have a realistic idea of how whack the GOP has become? How difficult it is to bargain/negotiate/compromise/talk with people who have lost their ever lovin’ minds?

It’s always been easier to herd cats than Democrats.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I lost friends in 2016 who were angry that HRC wasn't good enough. If tfg won, that would teach Dems a lesson! Hey, how did work out for you, you shitheads. Welcome to MAGA, which will destroyed all your hopes.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
filly

Post by filly »

Kate, they are disappointed that Biden hasn’t made getting voting rights through as a top priority. They are disappointed in his naivety on the filibuster and trying to negotiate with the devil. They are disappointed in the lack of a strong communication effort coming out of the WH and Dems. They are disappointed in Merrick Garland. I could go on.
Lani

Post by Lani »

So yeah, he doesn't have a majority in the House due to 2 peeps. Hate on him for that? Hopefully he gets some bills through, albeit weaker than we want. It's a start.

For those people, do they agree Biden is better than tfg winning instead?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

filly wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:29 am Kate, they are disappointed that Biden Obama hasn’t made getting voting rights through as a top priority. They are disappointed in his naivety on the filibuster and trying to negotiate with the devil. They are disappointed in the lack of a strong communication effort coming out of the WH and Dems. They are disappointed in Merrick Garland. I could go on.
Its exactly the same script.

If Biden had made Voting Rights a top Priority they would be bitching he hadn't made the economy a top priority. Whatever the Democratic President works on, the lubes are told to be disappointed in it.

Obama was one of the best communicators in half a century, and people were screaming that he wasnt out there using the bully pulpit and getting on to the news. The news that was constantly booking GOP Politicians and ignoring Democrats. Id Dems cant get on air, how can they communicate?

They screamed that Hillary wasn't giving interviews and Communication when she was doing 8 interviews a day for months

Naivity about the Filibuster huh? How exactly are you going to get rid of the filibuster with 48 votes to kill it? Oh you think Manchin and Siema are doing to vote to kill it? Whose being fucking naive now. I lost track of the amount of times I mocked people for arguing Obama should just MAKE people do shit with his MAGIC EYE BEAMS. It was in the hundreds.

Its the exact same lines repeated over and over and fucking over., pumped in by the same GOP lead media and crap I'm sick to death of it.

Oh and I could not care less that Biden swears, bloody Kant.
Hic sunt dracones
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Suranis wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:49 am
filly wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:29 am Kate, they are disappointed that Biden Obama hasn’t made getting voting rights through as a top priority. They are disappointed in his naivety on the filibuster and trying to negotiate with the devil. They are disappointed in the lack of a strong communication effort coming out of the WH and Dems. They are disappointed in Merrick Garland. I could go on.
Its exactly the same script.

If Biden had made Voting Rights a top Priority they would be bitching he hadn't made the economy a top priority. Whatever the Democratic President works on, the lubes are told to be disappointed in it.

Obama was one of the best communicators in half a century, and people were screaming that he wasnt out there using the bully pulpit and getting on to the news. The news that was constantly booking GOP Politicians and ignoring Democrats. Id Dems cant get on air, how can they communicate?

They screamed that Hillary wasn't giving interviews and Communication when she was doing 8 interviews a day for months

Naivity about the Filibuster huh? How exactly are you going to get rid of the filibuster with 48 votes to kill it? Oh you think Manchin and Siema are doing to vote to kill it? Whose being fucking naive now. I lost track of the amount of times I mocked people for arguing Obama should just MAKE people do shit with his MAGIC EYE BEAMS. It was in the hundreds.

Its the exact same lines repeated over and over and fucking over., pumped in by the same GOP lead media and crap I'm sick to death of it.

Oh and I could not care less that Biden swears, bloody Kant.
I've said it before: the President doesn't have as much POWER as people believe. The office has a huge amount of INFLUENCE, though. It is, as TR put it, a "Bully Pulpit". When the President speaks, like EF Hutton, people listen.

The President can't MAKE people do his bidding, for the most part.

I agree, though, that Democrats expect too much of President Biden. Given the circumstances, he can't do everything he would like, let alone everything that the far left wing of the party would like. They have to learn to accept part of their agenda, without abandoning support for the moderates.
filly

Post by filly »

Interesting that when *the messenger* tells you folks what real people are saying and which is corroborated by the polling (and vice-versa) the approach is to criticize the people instead of listening to what they are saying. Finger pointing does not win elections. If Biden is losing parts of his base (people of color and women) it's a big problem.
bob

Post by bob »

Off Topic
Frater I*I wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:02 amI have always hated Manchin, but Sinema is a flat out plant, I guarantee it.
Back during the Birther salad days, then-state-legislator(!) Sinema was a guest on RC's(?) show, and Sinema was dazzling. Everything you'd want in a politician on your side: smart, sharp, personable, and able to hand her opponents their hats with a pleasant tone in her voice (and presumably a smile, but there was no video for this show). On the show, Sinema absolutely destroyed a birther attorney; while not a difficult feat, she did it easily and relatively contemporaneously, and she isn't birf obsessed like some of us. :bag:

The post-show commentary on Fogbow 1.0 (RIP) was all about how she was an obvious rising star, going places. Guess we were half right. :|
Image ImageImage
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

filly wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:02 pm Interesting that when *the messenger* tells you folks what real people are saying and which is corroborated by the polling (and vice-versa) the approach is to criticize the people instead of listening to what they are saying. Finger pointing does not win elections. If Biden is losing parts of his base (people of color and women) it's a big problem.
I'm sure you will be able to provide those Polls. And its a bit rich when you were "finger pointing" before this to complain about it now. And the "progressive wing" has been crying about how they are the base and you can't win without them, and not actually voting for decades.

And I'm sorry that "the Messenger" does not like the fact that they have been shouting the same controlled crap for decades and have done nothing but depress Democratic voting for decades. In 2010 you were shouting "don't vote and teach the Democrats a lesson." How did that turn out.

It is possible to critisise constructively. Whinging achieves nothing bar losing.

Finally, the Democratic base is not "women and people of colour." In fact the Democratic Minority vote has been dropping pretty consistently for the last 30 years, and it was the fact that Trymp's white male vote dropped by 8% that ensured that he lost. The Minority vote is actually very conservative in its attitudes, and its your lack of appreciation of that fact that will lose you them piece by piece. Dont assume that you speak for them when you don't. And it's that attitude, that minorities adhere to your "progressive" wing, that will doom you.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... epublicans
White men swung to Biden. Trump made gains with black and Latino voters. Why?

he prevailing narrative of the last five years has been that Trump seized and maintains power by appealing to the desires of white voters and men (and especially, white men) to preserve the patriarchy and white supremacy. However, it seems difficult to square these talking points with the preliminary exit poll data from this year’s presidential race.

Let’s start with gender: across racial and ethnic groups, women shifted towards Trump this cycle. In the last election, Trump won white women by a margin of 9 percentage points. This year, he won by 11 percentage points. In 2016, Democrats won Hispanic and Latina women by 44 percentage points; in 2020 they won by 39. Last cycle, Democrats won black women by 90 percentage points. This year, by 81 points. That is, in a year when a black woman was on a major party ticket for the first time in US history, the margin between Democrats and Republicans among black women shifted 9 percentage points in the other direction – towards Trump.

Trump saw comparable gains with Black and Hispanic men as well.

Overall, comparing 2016 and 2020, Trump gained 4 percentage points with African Americans, 3 percentage points with Hispanics and Latinos, and 5 percentage points with Asian Americans. The shifts described in Edison’s exit polls are verified by AP Votecast, which showed similar movement among black and Hispanic voters this cycle.

We can look at The American Election Eve Poll to gain some additional context on this movement.
Joe Biden speaks in Delaware on Tuesday.
Guardian readers on the election result: 'The hopes of a nation rest in good hands'
Read more

Let’s start with the Hispanic and Latino vote: comparing 2016 and 2020, the margins shifted 47 percentage points towards Trump (or, away from the Democrats) among those of South American ancestry. The margins also shifted 37 percentage points towards the Republican party among those whose families hail from Central America, 35 percentage points among Dominicans, 16 percentage points among Puerto Ricans, 15 percentage points among Mexican Americans and 9 percentage points among Cubans. Indeed, this latter group actually ended up favoring Trump over Biden outright.

That is, while recognizing that these populations are not monolithic, and although Democrats won most of the Hispanic and Latino vote overall, nonetheless Hispanic and Latino voters shifted decisively towards Trump this cycle.

Similar patterns hold among Asian Americans: Filipino, Korean, Chinese and Indian Americans alike seem to have drifted towards Trump. The trend was so dramatic among Vietnamese Americans that they, like Cubans, actually favored Trump outright. Among Asians, only Japanese Americans seem to have shifted towards the Democrats since 2016.

That is, minorities and women (and minority women) – the very people who are supposed to be central to the Democratic coalition, and who have suffered most in the current pandemic and economic recession – seem to have shifted in Trump’s direction across the board.

In fact, virtually the only racial or gender constellation the President did not gain with are the people that are often described as his core constituency: white men.

In 2016, Trump won white men by a margin of 31 percentage points. In 2020, however, he won this constituency by 23 percentage points. Put another way, comparing 2016 to 2020, white men shifted 8 percentage points in Biden’s direction this year – helping flip the election towards the Democrats, despite Trump’s significant gains among minorities and women across the board.

What changed in the racial and gender dynamics this cycle to produce these apparently extraordinary results? The truth is, absolutely nothing. These trends have been underway for the entirety of Trump’s public life.

In fact, Democrat losses with minority voters precede Trump’s candidacy. Over the course of Obama’s tenure in office, Democrats saw attrition with black and Hispanic voters in 2010, 2012 and 2014. Trump won in 2016 precisely of this long-running erosion. Despite lackluster support among whites for the Republican candidate, Asian, Black and Hispanic voters continued to defect from the Democratic party – tipping key swing states in Trump’s direction, and handing him the election.

Contrary to the prevailing narratives, the Republican party saw continued attrition with whites throughout Trump’s tenure in office. Almost all the losses Republicans saw in 2018, for instance, were due to defections by white voters. As compared to 2016, Republicans slightly improved their numbers with Blacks and Hispanic voters during the midterms. However, the margins among whites shifted 10 percentage points in the other direction, helping Trump’s opposition win the House.

In the leadup to the 2020 election, the polling continued to tell the story it’d been telling all along: Trump was poised to see continued defections from whites, while Democrats would see continued attrition among voters of color. The trends in the polling were consistent and clear.
More at the link.
Hic sunt dracones
filly

Post by filly »

I'm sure you will be able to provide those Polls.
The Google is your friend. PTFA.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/statu ... 3861085184
Chris Murphy
@ChrisMurphyCT
U.S. Senator from Connecticut.

1/ What if, on Inauguration Day, I told you that in his first year, Joe Biden would cut childhood poverty in half?

“That’s a good year 1,” you might reply.

Ok what if he also got the GOP to agree to the biggest infrastructure bill in the nation’s history?

“No way!” you’d say.

2/ What if I told you he ALSO got the biggest ever investment in clean energy through a fiercely divided Congress?

“You’re pulling my leg”, you would say.

No, I would reply. And now I’m going to blow your mind, I would continue.

Guess what else he did?

3/ He got funding for 1M new affordable housing units.

He put the biggest ever investment in anti-gun violence programs.

He cut the cost of child care by $10,000 for low and middle income families.

“Whatever”, you would scoff. “All that is impossible in one year.”

4/ Oh, and did I leave out that he got universal preschool passed - for all 3 and 4 year olds? He did that too.

“Stop,” you might complain.

Also he ended corporate tax avoidance. Amazon will finally pay taxes.

“No President could do ALL that in ONE year”, you would say.

5/ When we pass the bipartisan infrastructure bill and the Build Back Better Act, Joe Biden and this Democratic Congress will have made 2021 the most consequential legislative year, with the biggest positive impact on American families, in generations.

That’s the truth.
Good times
Manu Raju
@mkraju
· 1h
Floor vote in House on both bills now likely to happen after Tuesday bc there has been extensive progress made on drug pricing talks. Progressives meanwhile signaled on a private call this afternoon they are expected to be on board behind both bills, per multiple sources
Looks pretty successful.
Hic sunt dracones
Lani

Post by Lani »

After the last 2 posts, I feel better now. Thanks!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Thanks, filly. I can understand their concerns, even if I don’t share their dismay.

It’s been this way so long we almost don’t see it anymore. Republicans royally screw things up, so badly it affects the whole world, then hand the whole shooting match over to the next, Democratic administration and walk away, shouting insults over their shoulder as Dems scramble to save what they can. Not only does the new administration have a thousand fires to put out, arson or accident, but they also can’t put everything they have into what they want to do. Also, too, and this is no small thing, we’ve adopted R framing for EVERYTHING, thanks to the influence of the Frank Lunzes of the world, so we tend to put all the blame on the Democrats when we should be assigning proportional blame, at the very least.

We suck at messaging, on that we can agree. :batting:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Just a little more detail

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1454925031579045892
Manu Raju
@mkraju
·
4h
They need to finalize the language on drug pricing before taking it to Rules Committee
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Biden Administration”