Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://act.womensmarch.com/signup/july ... on-signup/
JULY 9TH DIRECT ACTION IN DC

We're looking for volunteers and participants from the DC metro area.

Please choose one:
I am interested in risking arrest and I agree to attend the training at 6:00pm on July 8th in DC plus the action on July 9th.
I cannot risk arrest, but I'd like to volunteer at the action and I can attend the training at 6:00pm on July 8th in DC plus the action on July 9th.
Is there anything else you'd like us to know about you?
SUBMIT
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:45 pm I need a massive protest for the same reason a million other people do - so we can plan and show up from hundreds of miles away.

Fired up, ready to go.
what we need is a nation-wide strike
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Direct action on July 9th
My aunt's ashes will be interred at Arlington National Cemetery on the 8th. It will probably be the last chance I have to spend some time with my cousins and my dad all together - his brother's kids. Not that I'm suggesting that being arrested is scary. Heck, I might have to put that on a job application, if'n I ever applied for a job. :think:

Maybe we can go as a family. Well, not my dad, but ... :think:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

May be some useful info.:

“The abortion clues that can hide on your phone”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-61952794
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Good lord, the cops now are pussycats compared to Darryl Gates’ force and prior. I think because there’s a real thin line between SOME police and the criminals they chase (how many times have you heard a cop say “I could have gone either way.”), the gangs inside departments have always/will always be there.

I don’t believe all cops are bad. Or good, for that matter. Just enough of them are bad to make it hard for the rest of us to trust implicitly.
bob

Post by bob »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:40 pm Lake Superior’s twitter account stands with a woman’s right to choose. Some nimrod called the lake out. Hilarity ensued. Read the comments.

Image ImageImage
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

If you are no longer alive because you aren't breathing at the end of your life, why not the beginning?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
June bug

Post by June bug »

I read what so many of you or those you know have suffered, and it breaks my heart. I think of what so many more will suffer, and it terrifies me.
As I see what courage you've shown, or are showing, or will show, I can only tell you how much I admire you and how sorry I am for your pain. I do what I can, but you all are my heroes.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:57 pm
Somewhere, sometime ago I read that laws, like words, fall into desuetude. Once laws have fallen out of favor, I thought that I recalled that judges have the right to declare that these laws are past their prime; they haven't been enforced for a century; you just can't start enforcing laws that you now choose to when you did not in the past.

Dunno if this is the same, since these laws could not be enforced from '73 til last week. But I thought that Texas did not use these old laws pre-Roe, either.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

June bug wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:48 pm I read what so many of you or those you know have suffered, and it breaks my heart. I think of what so many more will suffer, and it terrifies me.
As I see what courage you've shown, or are showing, or will show, I can only tell you how much I admire you and how sorry I am for your pain. I do what I can, but you all are my heroes.
:yeahthat:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Lani

Post by Lani »

I'm very pissed off by the people who insist on calling embryo a fetus. Also, claiming heat beats when the heart hasn't formed.

In case someone tells you otherwise, here's one article about it.

Is a 'fetal heartbeat' really a heartbeat at 6 weeks?
https://www.livescience.com/65501-fetal ... ained.html
Answer: No.
... at six weeks of pregnancy, an ultrasound can detect "a little flutter in the area that will become the future heart of the baby...." This flutter happens because the group of cells that will become the future "pacemaker" of the heart gain the capacity to fire electrical signals... the "beat" isn't audible; if doctors put a stethoscope up to a woman's belly this early on in her pregnancy, they would not hear a heartbeat, Aftab told Live Science. (What's more, it isn't until the eighth week of pregnancy that the baby is called a fetus; prior to that, it's still considered an embryo, according to the Cleveland Clinic.)

It's been only in the last few decades that doctors have even been able to detect this flutter at six weeks, thanks to the use of more-sophisticated ultrasound technologies, Aftab said.

After the detection of the flutter at six weeks, the heart muscle continues to develop over the next four to six weeks, undergoing the folding and bending that needs to happen for the heart to take its final shape, Aftab said.

"A lot of the heart development is still ongoing" during the first trimester, she said.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:explode:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Annrc wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:34 pm As another young woman living in the 70’s I carried a dead child in my womb for two months. No late term abortions were allowed. The child was to be carried full term, dead or alive. So sad.
Some bitch* insisted that I was fearmongering and ignoring "nearly 100 years of medical advancements and knowledge" for pointing out that this happened to my grandmother** pre-Roe-v-Wade and that nobody would experience this because the laws will be changed. I pointed out that nearly half of that time passed before Roe-v-Wade and no changes to the law were made, and that the law was enforced that way until Roe-v-Wade despite all her assurances that no-one would interpret that way.

*sorry for the gendered language, but damn

**shorter time before the stillbirth was completed, a bit more than a week, but she went septic and was rendered barren as a result
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Dr. Vicklund made a rare public appearance today - we went to a local park where a petition drive was taking place and we both signed a petition to enshrine reproductive rights in the state constitution (ballot initiative for the general election). We also signed a petition to tighten protections on voting rights, including absentee ballots (Dr. Vicklund needs to vote absentee from now on due to her health issues).
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

MFers.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

When the first death occurs, I hope the family takes the shotgun approach: sue everyone in the food chain - the legislature, the governor, the hospital, the doctors, and any RTL group that helped write the trigger law, et al. Scorched earth policy.
Tiredretiredlawyer

I have brought up the fetal "heartbeat" in discussions.

We need to be medically exact. :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

bill_g wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:06 am When the first death occurs, I hope the family takes the shotgun approach: sue everyone in the food chain - the legislature, the governor, the hospital, the doctors, and any RTL group that helped write the trigger law, et al. Scorched earth policy.
Yes.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:13 am
bill_g wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:06 am When the first death occurs, I hope the family takes the shotgun approach: sue everyone in the food chain - the legislature, the governor, the hospital, the doctors, and any RTL group that helped write the trigger law, et al. Scorched earth policy.
Yes.
You know as soon as it happens, the GOP will argue against frivilous lawsuits, and call for tort reform once again.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

bill_g wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:19 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:13 am
Yes.
You know as soon as it happens, the GOP will argue against frivilous lawsuits, and call for tort reform once again.
And sadly, holding officials responsible for the consequences of their laws has never really worked. There really should be some kind of liability for death by legislation though.

Return to “Current Politics”