Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Post by Volkonski »

:roll:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

origin of story after folowing links:

https://www.liveaction.org/news/curtis- ... ectricity/

But what is allegedly being done with Curtis Bay Energy’s so-called “medical waste” is truly disturbing.

One of the speakers at the press conference, Missy Smith, stated that Curtis Bay Energy is burning the bodies of aborted babies (along with medical waste) to create energy for Baltimore. “This means, tragically, that they receive, transfer, and burn the corpses of aborted babies to make electricity for the households and businesses of the Baltimore area,” Smith said. “If you live in the Baltimore area, you must know that aborted babies have been burned to keep your lights on and your house warm. We call on Curtis Bay Energy to end this barbaric practice, and confirm publicly that they have done so.”

According to the Curtis Bay Energy website, the company has the largest medical waste incinerator in the country, and is “the only facility in the Northeast Region that utilizes Waste-to-Energy incineration to safely convert infectious/biomedical waste and non-hazardous pharmaceuticals into useful energy.” Their process begins with “collection personnel” who transport the “material” to their autoclave or incineration disposal facilities.

It is not unheard of for aborted children to be used as an electricity source. In the United Kingdom, the bodies of thousands of miscarried and aborted babies were burned and then used to heat British hospitals. Similar practices were found to be taking place in British Columbia (Canada) and in Oregon (U.S). According to Live Science, this is a routine practice around the world.

Yet despite the testimony of Bukovinac and Handy, as well as photos showing Curtis Bay Energy stamped on the collection boxes and the delivery truck, Curtis Bay Energy denies any involvement in transporting fetal remains or using them to make electricity.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

To note that in parts of Switzerland medical waste, expired medicaments etc are disposed in furnaces that burn chalk to cement. Reason: the only ovens that generate sufficient heat (1200+C) to securely break down certain chemical compounds. Of course medical waste gets sealed in metal containers.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Oklahoma Legislature Passes Bill Banning Almost All Abortions
The legislation prohibits abortion from the moment of fertilization and relies on lawsuits from private citizens to enforce it. If the governor signs the bill, it would be the nation’s strictest measure, and take effect immediately.

By Kate Zernike, Mitch Smith and Luke Vander Ploeg
May 19, 2022 Updated 7:28 p.m. ET

The Oklahoma Legislature gave final approval on Thursday to a bill that prohibits nearly all abortions starting at fertilization, which would make it the nation’s strictest abortion law.

The bill allows private individuals to sue abortion providers and anyone who “aids or abets” an abortion. It would take effect immediately if signed by Gov. Kevin Stitt, a Republican who has pledged to make Oklahoma the most anti-abortion state in the nation.

“There can be nothing higher or more critical than the defense of innocent, unborn life,” State Representative Jim Olsen, a Republican, said on Thursday on the floor of the Oklahoma House, where the bill passed on a 73-16 vote.

The measure is modeled on a law that took effect in Texas in September, which banned abortion after about six weeks and has relied on civilian instead of criminal enforcement to work around court challenges. Because of that provision — the law explicitly says state authorities cannot bring charges — the U.S. Supreme Court and state courts have said they cannot block the ban, even if it goes against the constitutional right to abortion established in Roe v. Wade.

The Oklahoma ban goes further than the Texas law, which bans abortion after about six weeks of pregnancy.

The bill defines an unborn child as “a human fetus or embryo in any stage of gestation from fertilization until birth.” Anti-abortion groups, believing abortion to be murder, have tried unsuccessfully since the 1973 Roe decision to pass federal or state legislation defining life as beginning at fertilization.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/19/us/o ... tions.html
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Hooker hoop ear rings?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

How many aborted clumps of cells do I need to power my 1100w microwave long enough to heat a Stouffer's frozen Mac and Cheese dinner?

Maybe Nestle should start also including a free pair of hooker hoops with their meals also, too. Fun. :shrug:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I can only hope that companies in states like TX and OK will find it impossible to hire top female STEM graduates going forward.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:06 am I can only hope that companies in states like TX and OK will find it impossible to hire top female STEM graduates going forward.
Brain drain. It's a real thing.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Volkonski wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:06 am I can only hope that companies in states like TX and OK will find it impossible to hire top female STEM graduates going forward.
I suspect the people who like these polices are also into the idea of getting women back out of STEM. There was a company a while back I was interviewing with that was based out of TX but had a local office. Sounded interesting till I started hearing how badly trans people were treated there and I ended up walking away.

So yeah, this is probably more of a feature than a bug. Then they can recruit based off having a mostly male atmosphere.
tek

Post by tek »

neeneko wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:21 am I suspect the people who like these polices are also into the idea of getting women back out of STEM.
Don't need STEM for makin' babies and sammiches.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

neonzx wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:06 am How many aborted clumps of cells do I need to power my 1100w microwave long enough to heat a Stouffer's frozen Mac and Cheese dinner?

Maybe Nestle should start also including a free pair of hooker hoops with their meals also, too. Fun. :shrug:
Actual answer to the question (CW: math and clinical detachment)
► Show Spoiler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

bill_g wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:37 am Hooker hoop ear rings?
Wow.
Judge much?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

:nope: Male too!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:03 am
Wow.
Judge much?
Time and place. This venue/speech wasn't it .
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

neonzx wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:33 am
Wow.
Judge much?
In the words of my generation: Whatever.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Wow.
Judge much?
I had no idea they were considered "trashy" until I looked it up just now! A number of strong respectable women in my life chose to wear large hoop earrings, I always thought they were classy. :shrug: I disagree with the notions of 1) hooker hoops, and 2) time and place. You know when the time and place for someone to wear hoop earrings is? Whenever they want. Assless chaps, on the other hand...
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Wow.
Judge much?
Who got to decide that? She looks old enough to dress herself.

Are we back to bitching about Obama's tan suit?
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:15 pm
Wow.
Judge much?

Nope. She wasn't attending a wedding reception or other social gathering. The fact that bill_g picked up on that distraction(intentional imo) speaks volumes. Women know how to work it to an advantage. You're not a male and may not understand how easy it is to play them.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:42 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:15 pm

Nope. She wasn't attending a wedding reception or other social gathering. The fact that bill_g picked up on that distraction(intentional imo) speaks volumes. Women know how to work it to an advantage. You're not a male and may not understand how easy it is to play them.
And you're not a female and may not understand that women make decisions based on a whole lot of other things than how they will be perceived by sexist men.

It's incredibly disheartening to see actual, grown ass men judging a woman based on her fucking jewelry. Why is it so hard to believe she chose the earrings because she likes them, she thinks they are the right ones to wear with that outfit, they have sentimental value, or they are just her "lucky earrings" she wears when she feels like she needs them?
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:44 am
Wow.
Judge much?
I had no idea they were considered "trashy" until I looked it up just now! A number of strong respectable women in my life chose to wear large hoop earrings, I always thought they were classy. :shrug: I disagree with the notions of 1) hooker hoops, and 2) time and place. You know when the time and place for someone to wear hoop earrings is? Whenever they want. Assless chaps, on the other hand...
agreed. My wife wears hoop ear rings, (though hers are generally sized to fit her face.)
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:57 pm And you're not a female and may not understand that women make decisions based on a whole lot of other things than how they will be perceived by sexist men.

It's incredibly disheartening to see actual, grown ass men judging a woman based on her fucking jewelry. Why is it so hard to believe she chose the earrings because she likes them, she thinks they are the right ones to wear with that outfit, they have sentimental value, or they are just her "lucky earrings" she wears when she feels like she needs them?
Morning Sugar. Sorry to have offended you. To the point - I work in an office with several women, and they come to work ready to meet with our clients. They have a pretty good feel for is and is not appropriate. Going to a meeting with the healthcare board? Put on a blazer, button the top button, put the studs in, and maybe wind the hair in a bun. Going to the General Contractors board? Open the top button, leave the jacket behind, put the hoops in, and let the hair fall naturally.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

All I'm going to say about big hoops is I love them, but I also know how easy they are to catch in pretty much anything, a hair brush, a piece of jewelry, etc, so I gave them up long ago. Maybe save the ones the size of a 45 for outside the office, but big earrings, especially with short hair, look fabulous.

Hippie out.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Off Topic
Hrm. Fashion protocols, norms, and signals tend to be very context specific. I would be curious to hear the take from forum members who have actually worked in Washington and have a sense for how such jewelry choices would likely be perceived.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neeneko wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:38 pm
Off Topic
Hrm. Fashion protocols, norms, and signals tend to be very context specific. I would be curious to hear the take from forum members who have actually worked in Washington and have a sense for how such jewelry choices would likely be perceived.
I suspect she has a pretty good grasp on how to dress in DC.
Catherine Glenn Foster is an attorney in private practice. She is a former litigation counsel with Alliance Defending Freedom at its Washington, D.C., Regional Service Center, where she was a key member of its Life Litigation Team to protect the sanctity of human life. Foster earned her J.D. at Georgetown University Law Center and also holds a M.A. in French from the University of South Florida and a B.A. in History and French from Berry College. She is admitted to the bar in Virginia. Her writing has appeared in numerous publications, including The Federalist, The Washington Examiner, Townhall.com, American Thinker and many more. She has worked on topics from euthanasia and assisted suicide to abortion and maternal health, health and safety regulations, conscience protections, and constitutional aspects of the right to life.
Also, a quick google image search shows her wearing pretty much those same hoops in multiple photos in multiple settings.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

"Alliance Defending Freedom"

:roll:

Return to “Current Politics”