Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Post by raison de arizona »

Google is taking it a step further, not only offering to pay employees travel related expenses for seeking healthcare, but also offering to relocate them without justification.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Lizzo pledges $500k which Live Nation will match to make $1M for Planned Parenthood and other abortion rights organizations.
FOLLOW @YITTY @lizzo wrote: I’m pledging $500k from my upcoming tour to Planned Parenthood and Abortion Rights. Live Nation agreed to match— to make it 1 MILLION dollars
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Paywalled, but Senator Elizabeth Warren is apparently floating an idea wherein Biden would build abortion clinics on federal land in states that have outlawed abortion. IANAL, no idea if this would work.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/06/24/ ... on-access/
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

In his concurrance, Justice Thomas said this:
In future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court’s substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell. Because any substantive due process decision is “demonstrably erroneous,” we have a duty to “correct the error” established in those precedents.
Did you notice which case he left out? I wonder why?
► Show Spoiler
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

keith wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:43 pm In his concurrance, Justice Thomas said this:
In future cases, we should reconsider all of this Court’s substantive due process precedents, including Griswold, Lawrence, and Obergefell. Because any substantive due process decision is “demonstrably erroneous,” we have a duty to “correct the error” established in those precedents.
Did you notice which case he left out? I wonder why?
► Show Spoiler
I believe Alito brought it up when he wrote in the Windsor case:
This Article explains how each of Justice Alito’s reasons for upholding DOMA applies equally or more strongly to miscegenation laws at the time of the Loving opinion than to DOMA in 2013. There is simply no internally consistent way to defend DOMA with Justice Alito’s arguments without also upholding the constitutionality of miscegenation laws. Thus, Justice Alito not only authored a dissent for the Windsor case; he effectively wrote a dissent in Loving nearly 50 years after the case was decided. His reasoning would require the upholding of Virginia’s miscegenation statute, as well as the criminal statutes in a dozen other states that in 1967 forbade interracial marriage.
https://scholarship.law.uci.edu/faculty ... rship/366/
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:54 pm Paywalled, but Senator Elizabeth Warren is apparently floating an idea wherein Biden would build abortion clinics on federal land in states that have outlawed abortion. IANAL, no idea if this would work.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/06/24/ ... on-access/
Sounds interesting, but which federal lands? Military bases? National Parks?
raison de arizona

Utah, where women have control over their semen intake.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Greetings all.

Today's ruling has hit me hard. It's hitting all of us hard.

I don't have it in me to read through this thread. But I want to express my love and friendship to all of you. And my gratitude. It's soothing to have a community of loved ones to grieve with on days like today.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
raison de arizona

Seeing reports that gynecological cancer doctors are not treating cancers in pregnant women, specifically in Texas and Wisconsin, but with Texas’ bounty situation, I would expect to see it in more states as well.
raison de arizona

Good lord there are pictures. He nearly lost his wife and he did lose his child. Steel yourself, should you choose to view the tweet.
► Show Spoiler
Brent Hennrich 💯PRO CHOICE! @bhennrich wrote: Why does the GOP think that my wife should be dead? Why do they think that since she was unable to carry Addison to term without dying herself, that they both should die? I made that choice as Amber couldn't due to be incoherent from blood loss. I would do it again. #RoeVWade
Lani

Post by Lani »

LM K wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:14 am Greetings all.

I don't have it in me to read through this thread. But I want to express my love and friendship to all of you. And my gratitude. It's soothing to have a community of loved ones to grieve with on days like today.
Thanks. I have a hard time even thinking about today (and what else will follow), let alone writing about my feelings.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

The beauty of being succinct.

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Truck Driver Rams Into Abortion Rights Demonstrators At Roe Rally In Iowa

A victim told HuffPost that the agitated driver careened into protesters on purpose in downtown Cedar Rapids. At least one person was hospitalized.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

bill_g wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:26 am The beauty of being succinct.

So... perfect alignment with the current Republican Party.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I won’t be in this thread much either. I can hardly bear thinking about what’s coming. And it is coming. My heart is heavy.

I hope you guys don’t start a riot or anything. :? Try not to burn down your city. :roll:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:50 pm I won’t be in this thread much either. I can hardly bear thinking about what’s coming. And it is coming. My heart is heavy.

I hope you guys don’t start a riot or anything. :? Try not to burn down your city. :roll:
Mine was burned down, per people who’ve never been near it. Somehow I survive among the embers.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

The rabbit lives.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

9F6413AC-C47E-4442-80B3-6BDA29FA8AE2.jpeg
9F6413AC-C47E-4442-80B3-6BDA29FA8AE2.jpeg (129.72 KiB) Viewed 359 times
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Lani wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:33 am
LM K wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:14 am Greetings all.

Thanks. I have a hard time even thinking about today (and what else will follow), let alone writing about my feelings.
Same here. I can't turn on the news today. Even tried about five minutes of F&F this morning, but the man-splaning from the hosts (Will Cain and Pete Hegseth) were too much.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I stuck to game shows on TV yesterday. Today I can read Fogbow and the good Twitter posters who I follow. I’m not sure when I’ll get back to watching news. It may be quite a while.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Im watching Svengoolie on MeTV which has a prerecorded news clip they play at most commercial breaks. It starts ok, with the local pro-choice demonstrations, but then they have to show the other side "celebrating life." That's enough to make me want to turn the tv off, or switch over the Death in Paradise (a sappy, but entertaining detective murder show set in the Caribbean. Great show for chilling out. You don't have to pay too much attention but the cast and location are real easy on the eye. Or, may I recommend Gilligan's Island or Get Smart.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I haven't been on Facebook much in recent months, but I went to see if my RWENJ cousin had anything to say. Nothing. I've noticed that she has mostly stopped posting political stuff. Last fall, she was getting Facebook notices about posting untrue stuff (don't remember the wording). Then, she disappeared for about a month around Christmas. I suspect she had Covid. I don't post much, and even less political, but I'm waiting for the perfect post to get one zinger in just for her. The rest of my small group of friends are as upset as I am.

I'm avoiding the news, too, watching ghosts all day on the Travel Channel, which is about as mindless as you can get.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Roe content.
► Show Spoiler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:clap:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Return to “Current Politics”