Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Fiona

Re: Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Post by Fiona »

:snippity:
Lani wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:33 am
LM K wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:14 am Greetings all.

Today's ruling has hit me hard. It's hitting all of us hard.

I don't have it in me to read through this thread. But I want to express my love and friendship to all of you. And my gratitude. It's soothing to have a community of loved ones to grieve with on days like today.
Thanks. I have a hard time even thinking about today (and what else will follow), let alone writing about my feelings.
Much love to both of you. I’m feel ya. I’ve been vacillating between rage and undefinable grief.
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

:snippity:
Lani wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:33 am
LM K wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:14 am Greetings all.

Today's ruling has hit me hard. It's hitting all of us hard.

I don't have it in me to read through this thread. But I want to express my love and friendship to all of you. And my gratitude. It's soothing to have a community of loved ones to grieve with on days like today.
Thanks. I have a hard time even thinking about today (and what else will follow), let alone writing about my feelings.
Much love to both of you. I’m feel ya. I’ve been vacillating between rage and undefinable grief.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Another sad day. I think SCOTUS is just beginning, and there is very little, if anything, that we can do about it. I'd put money on SCOTUS having more abortion cases until no state can provide abortion care.

I read some international reports, basically that the US is horrible. For example -

'Loss for women everywhere' - Ardern on Roe v Wade decision
Ardern said in a statement today that the decision is a loss for women everywhere.

"Watching the removal of a woman's fundamental right to make decisions over their own body is incredibly upsetting," she said.

"Here in New Zealand we recently legislated to decriminalise abortion and treat it as a health rather than criminal issue.

"That change was grounded in the fundamental belief that it's a woman's right to choose. People are absolutely entitled to have deeply held convictions on this issue. But those personal beliefs should never rob another from making their own decisions.

"To see that principle now lost in the United States feels like a loss for women everywhere.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/469 ... e-decision

Emmanuel Macron @EmmanuelMacron
Officiel du gouvernement - France
Abortion is a fundamental right for all women. It must be protected. I wish to express my solidarity with the women whose liberties are being undermined by the Supreme Court of the United States.

I was so worried that Trump would wreck us forever, but now I know that there is a continuing coup underway. SCOTUS is going to make it happen, case by case.

Oh, do I sound depressed? Why, yes I do.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I remember sitting in my first apartment, just graduated from college, just turned 22, it was early 1975. Roe v. Wade was still very new and I think women were still concerned that we might lose that right on a national basis. But, as I sat and thought, I realized that I was a rich white woman. Ok, not rich. But I had a well paying job (tax accountant for a Big 8 Accounting firm). So I could figure out a way to get to a location where I could get an abortion if I ever felt that I needed one. And that was really the crux of the matter. If you had money, if you had connections, you had viable options. The loss of abortion rights will hit the poor the hardest. It will financially devastate many. It will physically harm many. It will kill many. And Republicans won't care one single bit.
Lani

Post by Lani »

During those years - and earlier - there was a psychiatrist who arranged abortions for wives and daughters for some men with high level jobs in WDC or the military. The woman/girl would be placed in Sibley Hospital in the psychiatric ward on suicide watch. Then 2 psychiatrists would question the person. The magic words were that the patient would kill herself or the baby or something similar.

The next day was abortion day, followed by another day on the ward. The patients were then labeled as mentally ill b/c why else would they terminate the pregnancy? I know several people who went that route. One was my mother in her late 40's. She know something was wrong. She was behind in the household duties and sometimes confused and teary. She knew she couldn't cope with a new baby. So she got the psychiatric label and had the abortion. She continued to deteriorated slowly over the next 2 years. She was place in the psych ward again. Given some heavy drugs. Sent home with drugs clearly making things worse. Took awhile, but she finally was diagnosed with what is now called early onset Alzheimer's.

I also know some young women who went to a certain WDC medical office late at night to get an abortion. Cash only. And others who went to Mexico.

Oh, and btw, during the early years a single woman couldn't get the pill. But some doctors prescribed it anyway. Basically, they hated doing that and scolded their patients. I was one of them. I got the slut pills. And then I learned about Planned Parenthood. OMG, they were nice people, they didn't scold me, and they helped me with dysmenorrhea by providing the pill. It was like a miracle.

The psychiatrist at Sibley was Lebensohn. He had dinner with us sometimes, not often thank Gawd. He seemed to think that females were defective males, and anyone who wanted an abortion was mentally ill. Obviously, I didn't like him.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

This one could fit in so many different threads ... pure bile in a bottle.

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:24 am This one could fit in so many different threads ... pure bile in a bottle.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1540852 ... WK0EfQ7GAw
Just a simple slip of the tongue... /s
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:33 am
bill_g wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:24 am This one could fit in so many different threads ... pure bile in a bottle.

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1540852 ... WK0EfQ7GAw
Just a simple slip of the tongue... /s
She's known for her views. She's said the quiet part out loud several times.

sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I saw a quote the other day along the lines of some politician saying that if a woman with an ectopic pregnancy would just be careful, they could carry to term. No idea where I saw it and can no longer find it.

Anyone else see the quote?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:34 pm I saw a quote the other day along the lines of some politician saying that if a woman with an ectopic pregnancy would just be careful, they could carry to term. No idea where I saw it and can no longer find it.

I saw a crisis pregnancy center making that claim, didn’t bookmark it though.

ETA: Here’s the one I saw. It is a crisis pregnancy center in Dallas that advised a pregnant woman that she could safely carry an ectopic pregnancy if she were “careful.”
https://time.com/6189528/anti-abortion- ... stigation/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:40 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:34 pm I saw a quote the other day along the lines of some politician saying that if a woman with an ectopic pregnancy would just be careful, they could carry to term. No idea where I saw it and can no longer find it.

I saw a crisis pregnancy center making that claim, didn’t bookmark it though.

ETA: Here’s the one I saw. It is a crisis pregnancy center in Dallas that advised a pregnant woman that she could safely carry an ectopic pregnancy if she were “careful.”
https://time.com/6189528/anti-abortion- ... stigation/
That's it! Thank you.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

How many months until a European nation for the first time grants asylum to US healthcare workers (doctors, nurses) that performed abortion and now become target of US state AGs?
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Yep. I have no idea why many Americans want a fifth-rate dictatorship worthy of South America but they do.
much ado

Post by much ado »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:29 pm Yep. I have no idea why many Americans want a fifth-rate dictatorship worthy of South America but they do.
They want to be protected from the bad guys.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I woke up this morning, and the first word that came to my mind was cruelty. Because that's what this is. Not by accident.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Apologies if this is posted already.

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

My cousin, named Karen, just sent this.

290353457_10108735190250569_6845708316118641155_n.jpg
290353457_10108735190250569_6845708316118641155_n.jpg (32.58 KiB) Viewed 545 times
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:33 pm My cousin, named Karen, just sent this.

290353457_10108735190250569_6845708316118641155_n.jpg
Just like only Nixon could go to China, only a Karen could post this.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Lani

Post by Lani »

Such a painful day. And it's not over yet. I'm having flashbacks to when I was a young woman in the 70's.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
And now we are facing enormous loss.
tek

Post by tek »

In Florida..
“The ban is blatantly unconstitutional under the state constitution," the ACLU of Florida said in a statement. The ACLU of Florida and other civil rights groups are representing the plaintiffs.
In 1980, Florida voters amended the state constitution to guarantee a broad right of privacy, which includes the right to abortion, the abortion providers said in court papers.
Florida voters reaffirmed the right to privacy again in 2012 by rejecting a ballot initiative that would have weakened its protections and would have prohibited state courts from interpreting the Florida Constitution to provide stronger protection for abortion than federal law, they said.

But the state of Florida in court papers asked the Florida judge to reject the request, saying those who are challenging the lawsuit have failed to show they will suffer “irreparable harm" if the injunction isn't granted. The state of Florida also argued that the abortion providers don't have standing to make a claim of a personal right to privacy since they are acting as third parties on behalf of their patients.
“In other words, doctors are not irreparably harmed simply because they cannot perform a procedure prohibited by state law," attorneys for the state of Florida said.
Separately, a South Florida synagogue also is challenging the legality of Florida's new abortion law, claiming it violates religious freedom rights of Jews in addition to the state constitution’s privacy protections. The lawsuit filed by the Congregation L’Dor Va-Dor of Boynton Beach contends the law violates Jewish teachings, which state abortion “is required if necessary to protect the health, mental or physical well-being of the woman” and for other reasons.
https://www.wptv.com/news/state/provide ... s-abortion
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Well, it is Floriduh sooo, "No protections for you!"
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

This is vaguely interesting. Not so much in the sense of, it was accepted then, it should be accepted now. But more in the sense of our amateur historian originalists at the Supreme Court trying to shovel this shit down our throats because that is the original interpretation, sez them. I'm butchering this legally, I know, don't come at me bro. Anyway, long thread with lots of interesting newspaper clips from the 1700s.
John Skiles Skinner @jskilesskinner wrote: The court claims a right to abortion is not "deeply rooted in this Nation’s history and tradition."

Is that true? I searched 18th century newspapers because I wanted to learn how people really felt about abortion at America's founding.

Answer: they *loved* abortion. Thread! 🧵

How much would you guess that people in the 1770s used the word "abortion"?

I guessed zero. I was wrong! They talked about abortion ALL THE TIME in early America.

They talked about both
1.) literal abortion, and
2.) abortion as a metaphor
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Interesting thread.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Current Politics”