Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
sugar magnolia

Re: Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Post by sugar magnolia »

I find it beyond ironic that, in a thread about men telling women what they can and can't do with their bodies, men are attacking a woman for what jewelry she wears on her body. How do we ever expect to get past a bunch of old white men controlling us if they are still stuck in the mindset of "she was wearing a mini skirt so she must have deserved it" or "girls can't wear tank tops to school because it might distract the boys", although if you are distracted by the earrings during a Congressional hearing, and not the words being said, the fault lies with you, not her. The fact that you seem to think the "distraction" is intentional on her part is even more disturbing. Contrary to popular belief, we do not get up in the morning and think to ourselves how we can distract men today? We get up and get dressed in what we think looks good, makes us feel good or what WE THINK is appropriate for the occasion. I wore black leggings to my daughter's wedding and for the situation it was perfectly acceptable. The other MIL wore ankle length velvet. Also acceptable.

As long as the hooker hoops earring attitude exists, women will never achieve equality.

Perhaps, instead of doubling down and mansplaining, you should reflect on your own biases and prejudice.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Hear hear. :clap:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:

Lookism, body-shaming, dress shaming. It's all wrong and has tentacles you can't imagine.

The following is a tweet I saved, because it says what I always want to say so much better than I ever say it. Rather than paraphrasing, I'll give credit where it's due.

Please replace "gay" and "homophobic" with one of the the above terms, and replace Madison Cawthorne and Lindsey Graham with whoever the hell we're talking about today.
Rebuke to Dem body shamers.png
Rebuke to Dem body shamers.png (130.89 KiB) Viewed 622 times
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:44 am
neonzx wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:33 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:03 am
Wow.
Judge much?
Time and place. This venue/speech wasn't it .
I had no idea they were considered "trashy" until I looked it up just now! A number of strong respectable women in my life chose to wear large hoop earrings, I always thought they were classy. :shrug: I disagree with the notions of 1) hooker hoops, and 2) time and place. You know when the time and place for someone to wear hoop earrings is? Whenever they want. Assless chaps, on the other hand...
You got sumpin against Bill Self? Goodonya!

ETA: all chaps are 'assless' - its what they are.

What the hell is wrong with hoop earrings? Where does it say only hookers can wear them? Are you calling my wife a hooker? You can take that bullshit and shove it up the part your chaps don't cover.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
tek

Post by tek »

This has not been one of our finer threadjacks
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

tek wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:06 am This has not been one of our finer threadjacks
Other than the title of the thread being so specific, I'm not sure it's a threadjack. For a woman, the core concepts of Roe v Wade are pervasive in our lives and should be called out whenever they arise. A man deciding a woman's worth based on a choice she makes is at the heart of the disparity.
June bug

Post by June bug »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:15 am
tek wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 7:06 am This has not been one of our finer threadjacks
Other than the title of the thread being so specific, I'm not sure it's a threadjack. For a woman, the core concepts of Roe v Wade are pervasive in our lives and should be called out whenever they arise. A man deciding a woman's worth based on a choice she makes is at the heart of the disparity.
Brava, Sugar!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:54 pm I find it beyond ironic that, in a thread about men telling women what they can and can't do with their bodies, men are attacking a woman for what jewelry she wears on her body. How do we ever expect to get past a bunch of old white men controlling us if they are still stuck in the mindset of "she was wearing a mini skirt so she must have deserved it" or "girls can't wear tank tops to school because it might distract the boys", although if you are distracted by the earrings during a Congressional hearing, and not the words being said, the fault lies with you, not her. The fact that you seem to think the "distraction" is intentional on her part is even more disturbing. Contrary to popular belief, we do not get up in the morning and think to ourselves how we can distract men today? We get up and get dressed in what we think looks good, makes us feel good or what WE THINK is appropriate for the occasion. I wore black leggings to my daughter's wedding and for the situation it was perfectly acceptable. The other MIL wore ankle length velvet. Also acceptable.

As long as the hooker hoops earring attitude exists, women will never achieve equality.

Perhaps, instead of doubling down and mansplaining, you should reflect on your own biases and prejudice.
Now that's an argument I understand. Thank you.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Not sure if this is the best place for this, but...

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-pol ... eaf528c741
PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) — An abortion clinic that serves women from all over the U.S. South had its license suspended this weekend under an emergency order from Florida health officials after two women who had undergone procedures at the clinic were hospitalized this year.

The state Agency for Health Care Administration ordered the suspension of the license for American Family Planning of Pensacola, effective starting Saturday.

In cases cited by the agency, the clinic failed to monitor the patients at all times, didn’t provide medical records when patients were transferred for greater care and didn’t contact the patients within 24 hours after they left the clinic to assess their recovery, said the order which was issued on Friday.

It said the problems were operational deficiencies “endangering the health, safety and welfare” of the clinic’s patients, and the clinic failed to submit timely reports about the incidents to the state agency.
I hope we hear more about this.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

Thread:

Alabama woman has covid & goes to a clinic for medication. The nurse tries to withhold treatment because the patient might become pregnant.

I might’ve been fine without the Paxlovid, but I’d rather treat the thing I currently have than be treated like nothing but a vessel for a fetus.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Fetterman wearing basketball shorts and spattered t-shirts gets little scrutiny here on TFB but...he's pro-choice.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

He also just had a stroke, and a bypass surgery recently. He may be out of the race now. Dunno for sure.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Or he could make a full recovery. Lots of people have bypass surgery and go on to live mostly* normal lives. And the stroke may have been minor, with no residual.

Fingers crossed.

*meaning they have to make some lifestyle changes, but nothing unreasonable.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

bill_g wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:36 am He also just had a stroke, and a bypass surgery recently. He may be out of the race now. Dunno for sure.
He's not planning to drop out of the race. He's still fund raising, and I'm planning on voting for him in November.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

This is not the 1950s. An abortion ban is going to have a much broader national effect than it did then. No one knows what the fallout is going to be, but it's going to be much worse than anyone is prepared for.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

This is stupid on a DeSantis level.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:10 pm This is stupid on a DeSantis level.
:lol:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I think you're underestimating the stupid.

This is effing Aryianism, c. 1935.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Perhaps they should let ERCOT take care of this. All in favor say yikes!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

What’s that saying? Once everyone involved in a horrible historical event has passed there’s no one to remind the world with a first-hand account of the consequences of doing it again. :?
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:10 pm This is stupid on a DeSantis level.
I would describe it as a risky gamble, but not stupid. It is a dominance game, something that plays well to red states (esp tx) since it is all about self image, natural order, and who dominates who. If he gets the companies to back down and agree to not support their employees with regard to abortion, it is a pretty big political win. It shows him and his people are more important and more powerful than the pro-choice crowd that wants the companies to do otherwise.

And if they do not back down, well, that might work in his favor too, since he can paint them as the enemies of TX/freedom/god/etc and they are poor persecuted Christians trying to hold the line against tech elites. It might hurt the TX economy, but as I have babbled about before, that could also sell well to his base since they are already anxious about being 'left behind' as tech companies move into the state along with their more progressive employees. Feelings of power are more important than food on the table for them.
raison de arizona

neeneko wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:44 pm
I would describe it as a risky gamble, but not stupid. It is a dominance game, something that plays well to red states (esp tx) since it is all about self image, natural order, and who dominates who. If he gets the companies to back down and agree to not support their employees with regard to abortion, it is a pretty big political win. It shows him and his people are more important and more powerful than the pro-choice crowd that wants the companies to do otherwise.

And if they do not back down, well, that might work in his favor too, since he can paint them as the enemies of TX/freedom/god/etc and they are poor persecuted Christians trying to hold the line against tech elites. It might hurt the TX economy, but as I have babbled about before, that could also sell well to his base since they are already anxious about being 'left behind' as tech companies move into the state along with their more progressive employees. Feelings of power are more important than food on the table for them.
Abbott does have a history of happily shooting himself and his state in the foot for political gain, see the nonsense with the enhanced safety checks of trucks at the border.

Return to “Current Politics”