Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
pipistrelle

Re: Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Post by pipistrelle »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:23 pm
Foggy wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:20 am Are we going to become a criminal organization,
If helping women becomes criminalized, then yes.
If giving water to voters in line is illegal...
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

In which case, as you might have suspected, I am supportive. And also, Mr brolin's post may become a good primer for some of us.

In my state, the governor is Roy Cooper, who will veto any legislation that tries to interfere with a woman's choice. But the legislature is Republican, so we won't explicitly legalize abortion like Noo Yawk. We do have a veto-proof minority, so it will be a standoff for a while.

So I'm not sure whether helping women will be criminalized here.

But I'll try to find other ways to help. 'Course, our transition next month to becoming empty nesters is going to be harder on ol' Wifehorn than me. That's just a fact of life, and I will need to be extra attentive and supportive until she makes the adjustment. That means staying home when I'd rather be in our nation's capital with a protest sign.

Moar will be revealed ...
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’m house sitting this month for my sister in beautiful Hermosa Beach, trading 98° days for 72° days. Her elderly, diabetic Pomeranian, Freddie Mercury, takes up a lot of time (4 walks a day, one of them an hour long) so I’ll be spending most of my time inside, not on the Strand or at the beach.

One of the things I have lined up is to watch The Janes documentary on Apple TV. Has anyone seen it? All of the information and advice in this thread will be very useful to anyone wanting to do something similar in our terrifying timeline.

The landscape hasn’t settled yet. It’s possible that their overreach - total surveillance on women of child bearing years as evidenced by proposals to punish any and every one who helps a woman get an abortion and forbidding travel to another state for that purpose - will turn off millions more voters and we’ll end up with fewer R controlled state leges, but that’s not the vibe I’m getting. YMMV, depending on where you live.

But we will need something similar to The Jane network. It’s different this time, there are states willing to value existing lives over potential lives and I’m grateful for that. Now, though, we also have the internet. It’ll be both a boone and a hinderance; it will make coordination easier, but will also allow people who have nothing but busybody time on their hands to monitor social media and report their suspicions to the proper authority.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:56 pm I’m house sitting this month for my sister in beautiful Hermosa Beach, trading 98° days for 72° days. Her elderly, diabetic Pomeranian, Freddie Mercury, takes up a lot of time (4 walks a day, one of them an hour long) so I’ll be spending most of my time inside, not on the Strand or at the beach.

One of the things I have lined up is to watch The Janes documentary on Apple TV. Has anyone seen it? All of the information and advice in this thread will be very useful to anyone wanting to do something similar in our terrifying timeline.

The landscape hasn’t settled yet. It’s possible that their overreach - total surveillance on women of child bearing years as evidenced by proposals to punish any and every one who helps a woman get an abortion and forbidding travel to another state for that purpose - will turn off millions more voters and we’ll end up with fewer R controlled state leges, but that’s not the vibe I’m getting. YMMV, depending on where you live.

But we will need something similar to The Jane network. It’s different this time, there are states willing to value existing lives over potential lives and I’m grateful for that. Now, though, we also have the internet. It’ll be both a boone and a hinderance; it will make coordination easier, but will also allow people who have nothing but busybody time on their hands to monitor social media and report their suspicions to the proper authority.
I watched it last night on HBO, and it was disturbing yet inspiring. I remember hearing about the group many years ago, post Roe, and there were others like it around the country.

I vaguely recall a story I saw about a group of nurses that would get together for a "tupperware party" or something like that and they would help the woman/girl in need. And now there's a new generation of brave and clever women who are willing to do it again.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

two things I'm making a mental note of:

"Tupperware parties" and small dogs named Freddie Mercury.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

poplove wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:32 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:56 pm I’m house sitting this month for my sister in beautiful Hermosa Beach, trading 98° days for 72° days. Her elderly, diabetic Pomeranian, Freddie Mercury, takes up a lot of time (4 walks a day, one of them an hour long) so I’ll be spending most of my time inside, not on the Strand or at the beach.

I watched it last night on HBO, and it was disturbing yet inspiring. I remember hearing about the group many years ago, post Roe, and there were others like it around the country.

I vaguely recall a story I saw about a group of nurses that would get together for a "tupperware party" or something like that and they would help the woman/girl in need. And now there's a new generation of brave and clever women who are willing to do it again.
A few shifts back we had a discussion of how one can never have too much Tupperware and Scentsy candles. Most nurses bring leftovers to work and want to get the hospital smell out of their nose. It is time to bring back those events.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Sawyer Hackett
@SawyerHackett

This is incredible. @RollingStone has hot mic audio of a right-wing evangelical activist bragging about praying with Supreme Court justices.

The majority cited the organization (whom they prayed with) when they struck down Roe https://rollingstone.com/politics/polit
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/case ... filibuster
Sen. Bob Casey (D-PA), son of the famous anti-abortion governor whose name adorns Casey v. Planned Parenthood, will support reforming the filibuster to pass abortion protections.

“He believes the rule should be changed for a number of issues and this is one of them,” Casey press secretary Natalie Adams told TPM.

Casey has evolved significantly on abortion, in May announcing that he’d vote for a bill to codify protections soon after the draft Supreme Court decision overturning Roe v. Wade leaked.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

This 10 year old rape victim thing really sends me over the edge. People keep talking about it like the only awful thing is her age and that it was a rape and she can’t get an abortion in her state.

One of my foster sister’s friends was raped at around that age.

Her insides were so messed up she had to have a colostomy.

This child is maybe not that bad off, but how messed up is her body? to force her to bear a child with all of the risks that go with childbirth in a healthy, unraped adult and her being in way too small a body?

Well, as my foster coordinator said, “bad things happen” to people. :mad:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

You and me both. :mad: :fuckyou:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

:thumbsup:

------------

FXMMb6iXkAICrLf.jpeg
FXMMb6iXkAICrLf.jpeg (65.2 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

neonzx wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:06 pm :thumbsup:

------------

FXMMb6iXkAICrLf.jpeg
I like her.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

If she was arrested…

Then wouldn’t the police be detaining the unborn without just cause?
Delarin
Verified: ❌ This is not the Delarin you're looking for.

Post by Delarin »

If this woman is unsuccessful in fighting the ticket, would she have a plausible 14th amendment or other civil claim in federal court?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

I'll wait for the tweak that the 2nd car occupant must be a different seat than the driver. Because that's the angle the other side is already taking, that's the fix.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

The part where she says it's not an abortion.... what
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

When I use a word... it means just what I choose it to mean
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I need some context here...

Is the witness trying to propose that operations to remove ectopic 'conditions' shouldnt be considered an abortion thus putting lifesaving procedures back in the medical kit bagout of reach of the barbarians?

Is the questioner attempting to deny that little sliver of common sense?

What?

Who are these people?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Representative Ayanna Pressley for the Massachusetts 7th district (D) and Erin Hawley for the Alliance Defending Freedom (Josh Hawley's wife) Anti-Choice and was involved in the Dobbs case.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Republican AG says he'll investigate Indiana doctor who provided care to 10-year-old rape victim

Myah Ward
Thu, July 14, 2022 at 4:58 AM

Indiana’s Republican attorney general said on Wednesday that his office planned to investigate the Indiana doctor who helped a 10-year-old rape victim who crossed state lines to have an abortion.

Dr. Caitlin Bernard, an obstetrician-gynecologist in Indianapolis, has told multiple outlets that she provided care to the 10-year-old after a child abuse doctor in Ohio contacted her. The child was six weeks and three days into the pregnancy, Bernard said. After the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade last month, a wave of state-level abortion restrictions took effect, including in Ohio, a state that bans abortions after about six weeks of pregnancy, with no exceptions for rape or incest.

“We’re gathering the evidence as we speak, and we’re going to fight this to the end, including looking at her licensure if she failed to report. And in Indiana it’s a crime … to intentionally not report,” state Attorney General Todd Rokita said on Fox News on Wednesday night. “This is a child, and there’s a strong public interest in understanding if someone under the age of 16 or under the age of 18 or really any woman is having abortion in our state. And then if a child is being sexually abused, of course parents need to know. Authorities need to know. Public policy experts need to know.”

Abortion in Indiana is banned after 22 weeks of pregnancy, with some exceptions for medical emergencies. There are strict reporting requirements in both Ohio and Indiana for abortions and rape allegations.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/republican-a ... 55686.html
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

keith wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:33 pm I need some context here...

Is the witness trying to propose that operations to remove ectopic 'conditions' shouldnt be considered an abortion thus putting lifesaving procedures back in the medical kit bagout of reach of the barbarians?

Is the questioner attempting to deny that little sliver of common sense?

What?

Who are these people?
I kinda read it as the speaker trying to pull politically unpalatable parts of the ban out of the 'abortion' space so they can pull an 'abortion is banned, except the kinds of abortions which if banned would hurt us politically even with our followers, so they are not true scotsmen^M^M^M^M^M^Mabortions'.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

That's how I took it. An abortion that saves the life of the mother somehow isn't an abortion because....gobbledygook. They can't admit that it's still a "fertilized egg" bc that would confuse the masses.

A pregnancy that ends with nonviable products of conception is an abortion. It may be a spontaneous abortion, it may be a therapeutic abortion, but it's an abortion !PERIOD!

Return to “Current Politics”