Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Post by raison de arizona »

:yeahthat:

So I've been seeing a lot of calls to get rid of the filibuster and codify abortion rights. But... isn't that being overruled on Constitutional grounds? Would not such a law be on its face unconstitutional given the coming ruling? Would that not take an Amendment?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://americanindependent.com/gop-gov ... n-website/
The front-runner for the Republican nomination for Pennsylvania governor has scrubbed his anti-abortion position from his campaign website.

State Sen. Doug Mastriano had listed "protecting life" first among his gubernatorial campaign's issues. Clicking a link brought you to a page on his state Senate campaign page that described abortion as "unimaginable brutality."

"A government that not only endorses and embraces this genocide, but funds it with tax payer dollars is criminal," the site said. "Doug believes every life is precious and must be protected."

However, the current version of the campaign website makes no mention of "protecting life," and Mastriano's "plan" does not include banning abortion.
There are nine republican candidates for governor in the state. All nine are anti-abortion.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bob

Post by bob »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:43 pmSo I've been seeing a lot of calls to get rid of the filibuster and codify abortion rights. But... isn't that being overruled on Constitutional grounds? Would not such a law be on its face unconstitutional given the coming ruling? Would that not take an Amendment?
Roe v. Wade ruled the federal constitution protects (to a degree, with the "how much" being the last half-century of battles) the right to choose to obtain an abortion. It, in effect, ruled states' prohibitions against abortion violated the federal constitution.

If When Roe is overruled, the federal government could step in and pass an abortion law, which would (again) pre-empt states' laws (via the Commerce Clause). But the federal government isn't going to do that, at least for the foreseeable future.

The forthcoming opinion doesn't render anything unconstitutional.
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

Got it, thx (as always) bob!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:18 pm Another thing we should probably be talking about is the absolutely idiotic argument about men having a say in a woman's decision. I just want to scream every time some man uses the illogical fucking 'logic' of men having just as much right to make the decision as women.
Esp since this argument almost always includes complaining about child support.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

And why is a fetus called a "baby" anyway? We don't call infants or toddlers or teens babies.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I was surprised to hear a young man on the news last night being interviewed about why he was protesting the attack on Roe v Wade. He said he was protesting for a woman's right to choose, just like his mother did about 50 years ago.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Pregnancies are not risk free to women. Women die every day from pregnancies. Therefore they get ultimate say in whether or not they are willing to go through that possibly deadly experience. NO one else gets to decide!
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:08 pm Image
That's a thing of beauty, that right there.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Volkonski wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 4:56 pm
ok. so there is a phenomenon called Fetal Resorption Syndrome (AKA: Vanishing Twin). in short, a pregnancy begins with twin fetuses, but one fetus fails to develop, disintegrates and is resorbed. The rate at which this happens in humans has not been fully determined, however it is not trivial.

so the question I have, if a baby is born with a caul, should the State of Louisiana charge him/her with murder? (and cannibalism?)
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

are we going to have witch trials next?

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:think: i thought the Founders of what was to become the US of A once fought a war against the Brits to kick them off the continent and establish an own Constitution long after this referenced guy. To find an independant way of life and opinion, not be trapped in chains. :confuzzled:
raison de arizona

That thread and Alito's homage to Hale are chilling.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

If you have to go back to Hale to find "precedent," your argument is in deep trouble.

I didn't look at the thread, but I believe he was a witch burner, or whatever was in style to kill them at the time.
raison de arizona

AndyinPA wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 12:16 pm If you have to go back to Hale to find "precedent," your argument is in deep trouble.

I didn't look at the thread, but I believe he was a witch burner, or whatever was in style to kill them at the time.
Indeed it is, and indeed he was.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Chilidog wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:38 am

ok. so there is a phenomenon called Fetal Resorption Syndrome (AKA: Vanishing Twin). in short, a pregnancy begins with twin fetuses, but one fetus fails to develop, disintegrates and is resorbed. The rate at which this happens in humans has not been fully determined, however it is not trivial.

so the question I have, if a baby is born with a caul, should the State of Louisiana charge him/her with murder? (and cannibalism?)
I worked in medical records and it's a lot more common than one would think. AAMAF, I had a friend in school who was the surviving twin and issues had to be dealt with (in spoiler as it refers to lady parts, though not in a graphic manner). Trying to remember 50 years ago but I think they knew she was a surviving twin but not sure what tipped them off.
► Show Spoiler
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

That's fascinating and a perfect example of why doctors and patients should be making medical decisions and politicians should not be.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:07 pm
Chilidog wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:38 am

I worked in medical records and it's a lot more common than one would think. AAMAF, I had a friend in school who was the surviving twin and issues had to be dealt with (in spoiler as it refers to lady parts, though not in a graphic manner). Trying to remember 50 years ago but I think they knew she was a surviving twin but not sure what tipped them off.
► Show Spoiler
I work with someone whose niece had cancer in her early 20s. When they removed the tumour (also in lady parts), they discovered it was originally a fetus that had been resorbed.
raison de arizona

Chilidog wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:41 am are we going to have witch trials next?

https://twitter.com/bykenarmstrong/stat ... 6425500674
That's a good Hale thread, here is another good one with context if you really want to grind yer gears.
raison de arizona

There is a lot of discussion on Fox and in the halls of nimrod Ted Cruz and his ilk about how this leak is an unfathomable crime that needs to be prosecuted and the offender jailed. But- I haven't seen anyone specify a law that was broken or what the leaker would be prosecuted for. I'm not saying that the leak wasn't against the law, I don't know. But is anyone aware of or has heard anything regarding an actual criminal law that the leaker would be prosecuted and jailed under?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That's the republican talking point. Ignore the ruling, get apoplectic about the leak.

Return to “Current Politics”