Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Re: Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Post by raison de arizona »

Well, shit. This is sure going to fuck up that whole "ensuring a domestic supply of infants" thing SCOTUS was talking about. Who thought that forced birth would prove to be so unpopular?
Shematologist, MD @acweyand wrote: Apparently my gynecologist friends are receiving a flood of requests for sterilization in twentysomethings.

A morbid surgery as the only way to ensure bodily autonomy.

This is where we are.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

My early 30s, unattached step-daughter takes the pill not just for birth control but to control her cycle. Since this bullshit came up, I've been talking to her about getting sterilized. She says she doesn't want kids, and, honestly, she's not the maternal type so I think it's a good decision.

She does love her pitties, though.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
realist

Post by realist »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:40 pm Lake Superior’s twitter account stands with a woman’s right to choose. Some nimrod called the lake out. Hilarity ensued. Read the comments.

"Some nimrod" being the head of Judicial Watch. Why am I not surprised.
Image X 4
Image X 32
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:32 pm Well, shit. This is sure going to fuck up that whole "ensuring a domestic supply of infants" thing SCOTUS was talking about. Who thought that forced birth would prove to be so unpopular?
I wonder if this might change how doctors treat such requests. Historically they mostly just told young women 'oh, you will want kids eventually, and we don't want you to sue us when you change your mind, so no sterilization for you'.
raison de arizona

neeneko wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:15 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:32 pm Well, shit. This is sure going to fuck up that whole "ensuring a domestic supply of infants" thing SCOTUS was talking about. Who thought that forced birth would prove to be so unpopular?
I wonder if this might change how doctors treat such requests. Historically they mostly just told young women 'oh, you will want kids eventually, and we don't want you to sue us when you change your mind, so no sterilization for you'.
They should get sterilized while they can. It will probably be illegal soon. I'm not kidding. Forced pregnancy is only a small skip without a jump from forced birth. Thomas has already put contraception on the table. Anyone think this won't be next? I don't.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Mortellus @acrowandthedead wrote: I take methotrexate to control my Rhumatoid. I was told today I could not be prescribed it any longer as I am viably fertile and it is a medication that can be used for abortion.
I suffer a condition related to Rheumatoid Arthritis and belong to a few, I guess you would call them support groups? They're more of "compare notes about therapies" groups but whatever. The point is that this is not isolated. The tweet I quoted above is NC/SC. I'm seeing people getting taken off their medication all over the fruited plain. Also, the institution of mandatory monthly or semi-monthly pregnancy tests being required to remain on maintenance medication. Also, last but not least, I'm seeing a lot of discussion about the legality/culpability of giving women Xrays or MRIs without first giving a pregnancy test. Because that is where we are at.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

realist wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:15 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:40 pm Lake Superior’s twitter account stands with a woman’s right to choose. Some nimrod called the lake out. Hilarity ensued. Read the comments.

"Some nimrod" being the head of Judicial Watch. Why am I not surprised.
I didn’t realize that until after I posted. But yeah.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:21 pm They should get sterilized while they can. It will probably be illegal soon. I'm not kidding. Forced pregnancy is only a small skip without a jump from forced birth. Thomas has already put contraception on the table. Anyone think this won't be next? I don't.
I would not be surprised in the least if states started passing laws making it more difficult for women to choose sterilization, or at minimal giving hospital systems/insurers/employers the ability to say 'no, we will not support/fund such operations'.
Jim

Post by Jim »

She Never Considered Abortion. Then the Supreme Court Forced Her Hand.
Andrea Barnes has always dreamed of being a mother of three.

This long-held goal has helped the 30-year-old Michigan native through two complicated pregnancies, multiple miscarriages, and parenting her two young daughters. Barnes told The Daily Beast on Monday that it was that same maternal desire that has pushed her to make a painful choice after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade on Friday: get an abortion before she might lose her right to choose in Michigan.

“I want to keep the baby, I want to believe that everything will be OK,” Barnes said through tears. “But I have to be smarter than that and more logical, because the chances of something going wrong in my case are high.”

Barnes’ decision to get an abortion—she said she had scheduled one for this coming Wednesday—comes relatively early in her pregnancy. She estimated she was five or six weeks along, roughly the cut-off for abortion bans in extreme states like Texas even before Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization gutted abortion rights nationally.

But given her past complications and a Great Depression-era state law imposing an almost total ban on abortion in Michigan—a law everyone from Democrats in the state government to local prosecutors fear could could now go back into effect—she felt hamstrung. Her story shows how a conservative court has not only blown up health-care policy and denied women abortion services, but also plunged millions into uncertainty and panic.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

“No strong case for changing abortion rules, says Dominic Raab”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61981988

“Replying to the MP for Canterbury, Mr Raab said: "The position, as she knows, is settled in UK law in relation to abortion.
"It's decided by honourable members [MPs] across this House. It's an issue of conscience. I don't think there is a strong case for change.
"What I wouldn't want to do is find ourselves, with the greatest of respect, in the US position where this is being litigated through the courts rather than settled as it is now settled by honourable members in this House."”
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
raison de arizona

This is a beautiful thing. In the comments, she is inspiring others to donate in the names of forced birthers as well.
raison de arizona

No one is questioning your personal beliefs. We're questioning your decision to force your personal beliefs on everyone else.
Ashton Pittman @ashtonpittman wrote: REPORTER TAYLOR VANCE: So that 12-year-old child molested by her father and uncle should carry that pregnancy to term?

MS HOUSE SPEAKER PHILIP GUNN: That is my personal belief. I believe life begins at conception.
raison de arizona

Missouri. I'm hearing that after spirited debate the portion underlined may have been removed. Hopefully. But this is what they are pushing. Death.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Do we need a bank of ob/gyns to visit every state lege and tell them "Untreated ectopic pregnancy ends in death of the woman. The embryo is already lost. It cannot be saved.The only option available is whether or not it takes mom with it."
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:40 pm Do we need a bank of ob/gyns to visit every state lege and tell them "Untreated ectopic pregnancy ends in death of the woman. The embryo is already lost. It cannot be saved.The only option available is whether or not it takes mom with it."
They don't really care if women live or die, so I doubt this would impact them much.

They don't even really care if the fetus lives or dies either.
raison de arizona

I suppose a civil rights ACLU lawyer knows a lot more about this than I do, but it seems to me like the DOJ doesn't have a lot of say in a state enforcing its own laws that SCOTUS just said the feds don't have any business in. :shrug: Didn't we just answer the question of what the federal government gets to tolerate in this area? Namely, nothing?
Matthew Segal @segalmr wrote: There are abundant reports that state laws are chilling people from providing care that remains protected despite Dobbs.

The DOJ could reduce that chill by making clear that this care is still protected, and that it won't tolerate any state or private assaults on it.
raison de arizona

ARS 13-3603 says no abortion other than to save the life of the mother. Period. And it includes a prohibition against medication induced abortions as well.
13-3603. Definition; punishment

A person who provides, supplies or administers to a pregnant woman, or procures such woman to take any medicine, drugs or substance, or uses or employs any instrument or other means whatever, with intent thereby to procure the miscarriage of such woman, unless it is necessary to save her life, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for not less than two years nor more than five years.
raison de arizona

Well, I mean, as long as he prayed really hard about it before deciding to support forced birth, it's ok, right?
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:02 pm I suppose a civil rights ACLU lawyer knows a lot more about this than I do, but it seems to me like the DOJ doesn't have a lot of say in a state enforcing its own laws that SCOTUS just said the feds don't have any business in. :shrug: Didn't we just answer the question of what the federal government gets to tolerate in this area? Namely, nothing?
Matthew Segal @segalmr wrote: There are abundant reports that state laws are chilling people from providing care that remains protected despite Dobbs.

The DOJ could reduce that chill by making clear that this care is still protected, and that it won't tolerate any state or private assaults on it.
They need to look at laws that deny full faith and credit as well as laws that restrict interstate transportation. Full faith and credit requires states to recognize as lawful actions that were lawful in the state where they were performed. So one state can’t, for example, make it a crime for a resident to obtain an abortion in another state if that abortion was lawful in the other state. Nor can a state, for example, make it a crime to travel to that other state for the purpose of engaging in conduct that is lawful in the other state.

We’ll see how much the Supreme Court cares about these things in the coming years. Maybe they don’t.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona

Urologist says vasectomy consults have increased by 900% since Roe v. Wade was overturned
:snippity:
Following the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, Lenk decided to get a vasectomy due to his wife's medical history.
Dr. Christian Hettinger, a urologist at the Kansas City Urology Care, said they have been inundated with requests for information about vasectomies.

“Since Friday, we’re up 900% in people looking to get a vasectomy," he said.
"It’s not right for everybody," he said. "Either I get this, or we risk her being denied a procedure down the line and that’s unacceptable to me, so it’s not a sacrifice, it’s the right thing to do.”
https://www.abc15.com/news/national/uro ... overturned
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:20 pm
Urologist says vasectomy consults have increased by 900% since Roe v. Wade was overturned
Following the Supreme Court's decision to overturn Roe v. Wade, Lenk decided to get a vasectomy due to his wife's medical history.
Dr. Christian Hettinger, a urologist at the Kansas City Urology Care, said they have been inundated with requests for information about vasectomies.

"It’s not right for everybody," he said. "Either I get this, or we risk her being denied a procedure down the line and that’s unacceptable to me, so it’s not a sacrifice, it’s the right thing to do.
I’m sorry, but this is fucking shameful. If your wife has some medical history that makes pregnancy dangerous for her, getting a vasectomy was already the right thing to do, motherfucker. What an asshole.
raison de arizona

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:27 pm
"It’s not right for everybody," he said. "Either I get this, or we risk her being denied a procedure down the line and that’s unacceptable to me, so it’s not a sacrifice, it’s the right thing to do.
I’m sorry, but this is fucking shameful. If your wife has some medical history that makes pregnancy dangerous for her, getting a vasectomy was already the right thing to do, motherfucker. What an asshole.
We don’t know the wife’s medical condition. You could be right. Or, she could also have a condition that would simply increase the chances of a non viable pregnancy, which wouldn’t necessarily put her in danger were she able to get a safe termination to the pregnancy.
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

:yeahthat:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

This goes back to my body my choice doesn't it? Maybe this couple wanted kids, knew of the her danger, and CHOSE to take the risk. Now that proper medical care is out of the question, the risk has skyrocketed, and their priorities have changed.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
raison de arizona

keith wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:39 pm
This goes back to my body my choice doesn't it? Maybe this couple wanted kids, knew of the her danger, and CHOSE to take the risk. Now that proper medical care is out of the question, the risk has skyrocketed, and their priorities have changed.
:yeahthat:

Return to “Current Politics”