Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
W. Kevin Vicklund

Re: Roe vs. Wade, American abortion rights

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Abbott wants to kick out the armed forces? I'm sure there's lots of states that would love to build bases for all those displaced soldiers.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 6:28 pm Abbott wants to kick out the armed forces? I'm sure there's lots of states that would love to build bases for all those displaced soldiers.
Now there would be a showdown I would love to rubberneck.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Not abortion related but about women's rights.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/ ... rtion-bans
The Prosecutors Pledging Not to Enforce Abortion Bans

If — as seems likely — the Supreme Court over­rules Roe v. Wade, at least 26 states are certain or likely to ban many or all abor­tions as soon as Roe is over­turned. Of those states, 13 have trig­ger laws that would go into effect soon after the Court rules.

In Arkan­sas, for instance, the state’s trig­ger law would make it a felony punish­able by up to 10 years in prison for anyone who attempts or performs an abor­tion except to save the life of a preg­nant woman.

But a grow­ing group of prosec­utors is prom­ising to use their char­ging discre­tion and not prosec­ute abor­tion-related conduct if these laws go into effect.

One of the groups organ­iz­ing this effort is Fair and Just Prosec­u­tion, a nonprofit that supports elec­ted prosec­utors who are look­ing to reima­gine the justice system. Exec­ut­ive Director Miriam Krinsky answered some ques­tions about this crit­ical work.
► Show Spoiler
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 4:48 pm https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/ ... rtion-bans
The Prosecutors Pledging Not to Enforce Abortion Bans

If — as seems likely — the Supreme Court over­rules Roe v. Wade, at least 26 states are certain or likely to ban many or all abor­tions as soon as Roe is over­turned. Of those states, 13 have trig­ger laws that would go into effect soon after the Court rules.

In Arkan­sas, for instance, the state’s trig­ger law would make it a felony punish­able by up to 10 years in prison for anyone who attempts or performs an abor­tion except to save the life of a preg­nant woman.

But a grow­ing group of prosec­utors is prom­ising to use their char­ging discre­tion and not prosec­ute abor­tion-related conduct if these laws go into effect.

One of the groups organ­iz­ing this effort is Fair and Just Prosec­u­tion, a nonprofit that supports elec­ted prosec­utors who are look­ing to reima­gine the justice system. Exec­ut­ive Director Miriam Krinsky answered some ques­tions about this crit­ical work.

There are many, many reasons why this seems like a horrible plan. Better than nothing, I suppose.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://popular.info/p/what-happens-whe ... patient-is
What happens when every patient is a suspect
SB4, a Texas law passed last year, restricts “drug-induced abortion procedures, providers, and facilities.” The law lists “several medications as abortion-inducing drugs and largely bars their use for abortion after the seventh week of pregnancy.” But two of the banned drugs, misoprostol and mifepristone, “are the only drugs recommended in the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists guidelines for treating a patient after an early pregnancy loss.”

The law specifies that it does not ban misoprostol and mifepristone when the drugs are "prescribed, dispensed, or administered" for other medical reasons. According to NPR, however, some pharmacies are refusing to fill misoprostol and mifepristone prescriptions for miscarriages, arguing that they can’t be certain that patients aren’t going to use the drugs for “the purposes of abortion.”

Earlier this month, a Texas resident allegedly could not pick up her prescription for misoprostol while experiencing a miscarriage, despite being prescribed the drug by a doctor who “spen[t] 30 minutes explaining to a Walgreens pharmacist that she wasn’t having an abortion.”

Denying women experiencing miscarriages the right to proper treatment can be dangerous. According to Mayo Clinic, around “10 to 20 percent of known pregnancies end in miscarriage.” While not all miscarriages require medication or additional care, some require treatment "to stop bleeding and make sure no pregnancy tissue remains, as a guard against infection.”

The other option for a miscarriage treatment is a “surgical uterine evacuation to remove the pregnancy tissue.” But this procedure is the “same approach as for an abortion” and could potentially face similar obstacles, making it even more difficult for women to safely recover from miscarriages.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

It's bullshit, but pharmacists have a big exposure here, what is it, a decade in prison? One can hardly blame them for being cautious. But it's complete bullshit.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... us-liberty
...But while religious arguments around the issue are commonly associated with the anti-abortion movement, abortion restrictions can violate the right to religious liberty, faith leaders and legal experts say. And some organizations are already gearing up for possible legal challenges to looming abortion bans.

Religious liberty for people of all faiths is protected under the US constitution, state constitutions and federal statutes.

In Judaism, abortion is usually seen as permissible and even required in cases where the patient’s life is at risk. In Islam, scholars contend that abortion is allowed for the first 120 days, after which it’s seen as a civil – not a criminal – issue, and it’s permitted at any time when the health of the mother is in danger. Other believers, including within Christianity, focus on the sacredness of the individual or the family to make such decisions, rather than prosecutors or lawmakers.

:snippity:

“There are very serious religious liberty questions here,” Ruttenberg said. “If you ban abortion, when my religious tradition tells me that I am a) permitted and b) possibly required to access abortion care, you are limiting my free exercise of religion.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

I wonder what he is going to say when Roe is overturned and mass shootings continue.
Rep. Billy Long (R-MO) blames gun violence on abortion: "Something has happened to our society. I go back to abortion, when we decided it was okay to murder kids in their mothers' wombs. Life has no value to a lot of these folks."
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

He's a moron on all topics apparently.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer

Cross-posting

https://apnews.com/article/abortion-hea ... 36940ae91e
Synagogue challenges Florida abortion law over religion

A new Florida law prohibiting abortion after 15 weeks with some exceptions violates religious freedom rights of Jews in addition to the state constitution’s privacy protections, a synagogue claims in a lawsuit.

The lawsuit filed by the Congregation L’Dor Va-Dor of Boynton Beach contends the law that takes effect July 1 violates Jewish teachings, which state abortion “is required if necessary to protect the health, mental or physical well-being of the woman” and for other reasons.

“As such, the act prohibits Jewish women from practicing their faith free of government intrusion and this violates their privacy rights and religious freedom,” says the lawsuit, filed Friday in Leon County Circuit Court.

The lawsuit adds that people who “do not share the religious views reflected in the act will suffer” and that it “threatens the Jewish people by imposing the laws of other religions upon Jews.”

The lawsuit is the second challenge to the 15-week abortion ban enacted earlier this year by the Legislature and signed into law by Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. Planned Parenthood and other reproductive health providers also sued earlier this month to block the law from taking effect.
raison de arizona

One might argue that constitutional rights should not ebb and flow with the political appointment of justices. That's it. That's the argument.
Douglas Keith @DouglasKeith_ wrote: The Iowa Supreme Court has now overruled its *2018* ruling that there was a fundamental right to abortion under the state's constitution.

All it took was four years and four new justices.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:44 pm
Sewell Chan@sewellchan
·
Jun 18, 2022
I’m reporting with ⁦@eric_neugeboren⁩ from ⁦@TexasGOP⁩ convention in Houston, where the draft platform calls for requiring students to learn that life begins at fertilization and to listen to live ultrasounds. Story coming soon.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:32 pm
Volkonski wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:44 pm https:// twitter.com/sewellchan/status/1538249628709277696
Sewell Chan@sewellchan
·
Jun 18, 2022
I’m reporting with ⁦@eric_neugeboren⁩ from ⁦@TexasGOP⁩ convention in Houston, where the draft platform calls for requiring students to learn that life begins at fertilization and to listen to live ultrasounds. Story coming soon.
Isn't that what sex ed is all about anyhow?

And how exiting for the rapper and beat generation to listen to recorded sounds that they can also produce on their drum synthesizer. Or will the Republicans require a classmate to step forward and....
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Waiting for the challenge to this on religious freedom grounds that not all religious believe life begins at fertilization.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:24 am
Waiting for the challenge to this on religious freedom grounds that not all religious believe life begins at fertilization.
I think a Jewish organization in Florida has already done this.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:28 pm I think a Jewish organization in Florida has already done this.
That is correct. Under the tenants of the Jewish faith, abortions are permissible under certain conditions.

Really, I don't understand the fundamentalist Christian argument.. I was taught that until a newborn breathes it's first breath, it is a soulless vessel. :?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Wouldn’t adopting “life begins at fertilization” make IUDs and birth control pills murder? And what about all those fertilized embryos in the IVF clinics?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

neonzx wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:42 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:28 pm I think a Jewish organization in Florida has already done this.
That is correct. Under the tenants of the Jewish faith, abortions are permissible under certain conditions.

Really, I don't understand the fundamentalist Christian argument.. I was taught that until a newborn breathes it's first breath, it is a soulless vessel. :?
I might be wrong but I think the first breath thingy is in the bible. :biggrin:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:12 pm
neonzx wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:42 pm

I might be wrong but I think the first breath thingy is in the bible. :biggrin:
Yeah, but there's a lot of pickin' and choosin' that goes around.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:09 pm Wouldn’t adopting “life begins at fertilization” make IUDs and birth control pills murder? And what about all those fertilized embryos in the IVF clinics?
See also Hobby Lobby and several anti-abortion bills. Though they've already admitted that the IVF clinic embryos don't count because "they're not in a woman."

I wish I were kidding. :crying:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

"not in a woman..." Why don't they just relabel us incubators and get it over with?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:15 pm "not in a woman..." Why don't they just relabel us incubators and get it over with?
Incubators - HA! We're vessels, dontcha know? That's what Maddy Cawthorn says.

Return to “Current Politics”