I wanna riot (because Roe)

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

I wanna riot (because Roe)

Post by raison de arizona »

Damn. Kinda knew this was coming, but. Damn.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Re: I wanna riot

Post by mojosapien »

A riot of my own -The Clash
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Did I miss something? Pourquoi?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:22 pm Did I miss something? Pourquoi?
1-minute catch up.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

If true..

if that doesn't galvanise the majority of the population to get out and vote in the mid terms...

then Americans have only themselves to blame... :oldman:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I suspected as much. :brokenheart:

There will always be California. We’ll never be handmaidens.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I predict there will be riots if this leak is real.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

I predict Americans will go back to their tiktok and not give a fark.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:35 pm I suspected as much. :brokenheart:

The reich wing won't stop until they've nullified California, NY, and all other blue states. Next step is to declare abortion unconstitutional everywhere. We must mobilize like never before and riot in the streets.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Just let another repub takeover of the House, Senate, and President. It won't matter where you are.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:46 pm Just let another repub takeover of the House, Senate, and President. It won't matter where you are.
It'll be over at that point, the Constitution will be dead.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Its kind of Ironic laughing at people making hysterical predictions of what X and Y is going to mean and then turn around and see people around you doing the exact same thing. :bored:

I'm just going to say it - declaring abortion illegal will not turn America into Iran. There are a whole load of other rights that women have that don't relate to Pregnancy. Somehow when you strip rights from someone else for the benefit of the woman, then that has a corrosive effect on society. And ya, that's the rights of the unborn child AND the Father, who somehow you expect to support the child for 18+ years of its life but you banish entirely from any right to say anything on whether the kid lives or not. Because he's a MAN and therefore has no right to and opinion at all as a misandrist might say. A Misandrist btw is like a Misogynist, only they hate Men.

Ya, funny, its like a proper version of "Gilead," meaning Men are stripped of their right to say a damn thing so Doctors can make money. But still have all the responsibilities and demands loaded onto them becasue the baby is only dependent on the mother for 9 months of its 18+ year life. That's hardly fair.

ALSO: I hate to shock you, but the last thing that the GP actually wants is for Abortion to be declared Illegal. Why? Because they have been gathering votes on it for years. They didn't actually have to do anything about it. If abortion was removed from the table, single issue voters would have to look at the rest of the GOP platform... which will have them screaming in the direction of the Democratic party.

Ya, the removal of Abortion will cause the GOP to LOSE VOTES. And the GOP old guard know it. The GOP under W Bush could have legislated to the remove abortion as they had secure majorities on both houses and a President who would do what he was told. But they didn't do a damn thing apart from a partial ban on fetal stem cell research. That's when it was obvious to anyone paying attention that they didn't mean a word of it.

AND, of course, this is going into Midterm season, which means this is going to motivate hysterical Democratic voters like nothing else. Which makes me think this was actually faked. Its just too damned perfect, hitting at the exact right time to get the dem's registered and motivated.

So, ya, I really wish you would throw that stupid "Handmaidens Tale away at least in the images you have. This is not a world facing a massive population crises, which brings out stresses in society, causing extreme behavior and meaning that countries have to take desperate measures to ensure the survival of the human race. The USA will NOT be turned into Saudi Arabia. In fact all this does is make a Democratic win in November and in 2 years time far more likely. This is a GOOD THING for the Democratic Party and Joe Biden.

Ya if you want to look for a country to be afraid of, quit looking at a fictional country and look at Saudi Arabia for the love of God. That is REAL. Look at Hungary for a model that the USA might ACTUALLY fall down, rather than be distracted by the politics of a world that does not exist.

And with that bit of clear vision I leave you to attacking me rather than doing the hurtful thing of thinking about what I just told you. Maybe I'll force a mind open a crack, who knows. :oldman:
Hic sunt dracones
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I can't believe I just read that. Was supposed to be muted but showed up anyway -reminding me why I chose to "mute" the member.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Suranis, you don’t ever have to worry about having an abortion. We get your position. If you think this is just about abortion you have your head somewhere where the sun don’t shine.

Don’t fucking lecture us as if we don’t have the brains to think about what this means …not the loss of abortion per se but how we’re losing our country to controlling, God-bothering extremists who’ve lied to our faces for years. Half of them are psychos who’d sooner kill us than let us vote.

Yeah, Americans deserve what we get. There are millions of us who don’t.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Jane Crow coming at ya. :mad:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

SuzieC wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:43 pm

The reich wing won't stop until they've nullified California, NY, and all other blue states. Next step is to declare abortion unconstitutional everywhere. We must mobilize like never before and riot in the streets.
My own prediction is if Republicans get Congress and the White House, he first bill in both houses will be a nationwide ban, the second in the Senate will be a rule change doing away with the filibuster so they can pass it.

Mitch farking McConnell will toss the filibuster as "an anachronist relic of a non-democratic past" that should have been tossed decades ago, and Joe Manchin will vote with them.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

It's also not lost on me that this only came about 5 minutes after they were sure they had disenfranchised any dissent in half the country.

I will need someone in Atlanta to bail me out on election night, because my happy ass is gonna rent a van, fill it up with snacks and bottles of water and do my level best to double dog dare them to arrest me for passing them out.

Fulton County jail, see ya there.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Oh, I almost forgot

PHUCK
YOU
SUSAN
COLLINS
!!!!!!!

:torches: :fuckyou: :cussing:

Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

I’m not female,nor American, but like many my bottomline is that it is the individual’s decision. I’ve never met anyone who was “pro abortion” - it’s a moral minefield - although I assume there must be some(?).
There are so many possible scenarios that surround this supposed “leak”, several of which encompass the idea that the time may be right for an authoritarian / theocratic “takeover”, I hope not.
Many people who want the individual to have the right to choose emphasise the situation before that choice was available, and if this choice is taken away, although it will be of no comfort in the meantime, the long-term effect will be to re-establish why it came into being. To paraphrase Foggy, progress despite setbacks is inexorable.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Hold on a sec. Are we taking Clash White Riot or some Rancid cash-in retro-ska on which I wasted 13 seconds.

Semantics.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Gregg wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 4:01 am Oh, I almost forgot

PHUCK
YOU
SUSAN
COLLINS
!!!!!!!

:torches: :fuckyou: :cussing:
It really feels like there should be some kind of consequence for lying to congress in order to get appointed, esp involving the very law you lied about.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Impeachment should be the consequence, but don't hold your breath.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lansdowne

Post by Lansdowne »

Gregg wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:49 am

My own prediction is if Republicans get Congress and the White House, he first bill in both houses will be a nationwide ban, the second in the Senate will be a rule change doing away with the filibuster so they can pass it.

Mitch farking McConnell will toss the filibuster as "an anachronist relic of a non-democratic past" that should have been tossed decades ago, and Joe Manchin will vote with them.
Innocent question from a non-American: Why did Prohibition (yes that Prohibition, aka "a nationwide ban") require a constitutional amendment?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Dear Mr Roberts,

The last three justices appointed to your court lied through their teeth to Congress and to the American people concerning this issue. I’m not sure why you think it’s the leak that’s the biggest problem.

With much less respect than previously,

A Female Citizen
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Lansdowne wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:46 pm
Gregg wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:49 am

Innocent question from a non-American: Why did Prohibition (yes that Prohibition, aka "a nationwide ban") require a constitutional amendment?

Because it was a Law that Holier than Thou minority imposed on the rest of the country through a decades long campaign of lying to people, bad science and populist outrage at a problem that didn't exist. Also, too, the Volstead Act, which was the law to enforce it, was a final lie in that it outlaw beer, which during the process to ratify the 18th Amendment was understood not to be subject to the new Amendment.

Also, three Amendments passed almost together were closely linked. At the time, taxes on liquor made up a substantial part of the government's income and in order to make Prohibition viable they had to pass an Income Tax Amendment on the off chance that the other side would try to attack an income tax without an amendment, under some construction of the Apportionment Clause.

Finally, Women's Suffrage, the 19th Amendment. It was a lot of the same people but also in the Suffragette Movement there were a lot of women who opposed prohibition, but backed it as a package deal, both groups agreed to support both Amendments.

I just used 3 paragraphs to give a 25 page answer. SO take it for what it is. But Income Tax, Prohibition and Woman's Suffrage (and to a lesser extent, direct election of Senators) are all related.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”