Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

I wanna riot (because Roe)

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: I wanna riot

Post by AndyinPA »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:48 pm Dear Mr Roberts,

The last three justices appointed to your court lied through their teeth to Congress and to the American people concerning this issue. I’m not sure why you think it’s the leak that’s the biggest problem.

With much less respect than previously,

A Female Citizen
:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

During prohibition, it seems like nobody believed it applied to them, sometimes because they didn't drink, but usually because they expected it to be applied to groups they wanted punished for existing. And nobody knew what the next 14 years would be like. If RvW goes, I expect the same things again. You only have to think who the R's hate and that's who will suffer. (Not that that isn't happening now, it's just another stick to beat people.)
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Lansdowne wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:46 pm Innocent question from a non-American: Why did Prohibition (yes that Prohibition, aka "a nationwide ban") require a constitutional amendment?
TBH, it probably didn't actually need to be. It was probably overkill, but it did both make prohibition more difficult to get rid of AND was a major PR thing since it demonstrated broad power over legislatures.

Though Prohibition was a few decades before congress figured out they could use impossible to obtain tax stamps to make possession of drugs illegal, so it could be that at the time they believed they did need an amendment, and later developed the legal framework to do the same thing without one. This would also have been before the Commerce Clause became the magical 'federal government can regulate any internal state matter they like' brush that it has become today.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Also, a lot of foreigners would probably be shocked just how much of the USA is still dry. Current law on that is County level, and a surprising number of counties in a certain part of the country (I'll let you guess) still prohibit liquor sales.

But in every one of them, the right people know the nearest place to get a bottle, legal or illegal.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

And in some other places, the Sheriff campaigns for re-election with pints of his brother’s moonshine.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Gregg wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:04 pm Also, a lot of foreigners would probably be shocked just how much of the USA is still dry. :snippity: :snippity:
But in every one of them, the right people know the nearest place to get a bottle, legal or illegal.
Usually the sheriff is the safest bet.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Gregg wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:04 pm Also, a lot of foreigners would probably be shocked just how much of the USA is still dry. Current law on that is County level, and a surprising number of counties in a certain part of the country (I'll let you guess) still prohibit liquor sales.

In Texas it was actually down to the city level for anything other than Beer or Wine. I helped campaign to get the town I was living in to allow liquor sales. There are counties that are dry in Texas and you couldn't even get that, but I think it's mostly at the city level. I remember having to buy a "membership" at a restaurant for $1 to be part of the "club" and be able to buy a mixed drink or beer.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:17 pm And in some other places, the Sheriff campaigns for re-election with pints of his brother’s moonshine.
Wait just a damn minute. I'm not realted to any damn Sheriff!

Allegedly.

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

jez wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:28 pm
Gregg wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 10:04 pm Also, a lot of foreigners would probably be shocked just how much of the USA is still dry. Current law on that is County level, and a surprising number of counties in a certain part of the country (I'll let you guess) still prohibit liquor sales.

In Texas it was actually down to the city level for anything other than Beer or Wine. I helped campaign to get the town I was living in to allow liquor sales. There are counties that are dry in Texas and you couldn't even get that, but I think it's mostly at the city level. I remember having to buy a "membership" at a restaurant for $1 to be part of the "club" and be able to buy a mixed drink or beer.
I had to join "clubs" in Kansas. Cost $3 but always included a "free" welcome shot or beer.

Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Western Virginia, same. Club Scotty was one near where I lived. Back in the day it was $1 annually and the “clubhouse” was Scotty’s basement.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:29 am Western Virginia, same. Club Scotty was one near where I lived. Back in the day it was $1 annually and the “clubhouse” was Scotty’s basement.
I used to work for a company headquartered in Arkansas in a dry county. The size of the liquor stores built at the county borders with, uh, wet counties always amused me. The locals took me to a private club. Wooden walls with bullet holes in them, rough plank benches and tables, and a $1 annual membership fee so that it was classified as a "private club" and allowed to serve alcohol.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.providencejournal.com/story ... 643035002/
PROVIDENCE — The state Supreme Court on Wednesday upheld the state’s Reproductive Privacy Act, a law passed in 2019 to safeguard abortion rights in Rhode Island.

The high court upheld Superior Court Judge Melissa E. Darigan’s November 2019 dismissal of a challenge to the law brought by the advocacy group Catholics for Life and several other activists. The groups had argued that the state Constitution bars the General Assembly's unilateral passage of a law confirming a fundamental “right” to abortion.

"Construing provisions in the state’s constitution is the function of this Court, and we have not been called upon to do so in the context of this case. But in no way has the General Assembly been prohibited from enacting the legislation at issue in the case at bar," the court said in a ruling written by Justice Maureen McKenna Goldberg.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

jez wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:28 pm

Yep, over the years I've had to do that in various Texas smaller cities.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
June bug

Post by June bug »

Not to be a killjoy, but can we please stay on topic here?
Edit: This is an important topic to me and it’s spread over multiple threads, so it’s kind of frustrating to check in on and find out it’s still on an off-topic subject.
raison de arizona

Non-scalable fence to be erected around Supreme Court as abortion rights protests continue

A tall security fence will be erected around the Supreme Court Building Wednesday evening due to concerns about protesters and demonstrations.

Fox News reports the fencing will be similar to what was set up around the Capitol following last year's riot. The barrier in front of the Supreme Court, however, will not encircle the entire building.

Barricades were set up in front of the steps of the Supreme Court Building Monday as authorities anticipated crowds in response to the bombshell report on abortion rights.

Since Politico published the leaked article from the Supreme Court, showing a draft majority opinion to overturn Roe V. Wade, thousands of people have shown up to protest in front of the High Court.
https://www.fox5dc.com/news/non-scalabl ... s-continue
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Interesting, if longshot theory on the leak.

Chief Justice Roberts, to show the Reich wing the complete breakdown their extreme finding is going to cause. A last ditch effort to talk either Comey-Barret or Kegs away from the cliff.

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

June bug wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 10:06 pm Not to be a killjoy, but can we please stay on topic here?
Edit: This is an important topic to me and it’s spread over multiple threads, so it’s kind of frustrating to check in on and find out it’s still on an off-topic subject.
Perhaps raison could assist the thread title to more clearly indicate the actual topic??
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Gregg wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:19 am Interesting, if longshot theory on the leak.

Chief Justice Roberts, to show the Reich wing the complete breakdown their extreme finding is going to cause. A last ditch effort to talk either Comey-Barret or Kegs away from the cliff.
I could actually see that. I've been poking around and thinking trying to figure out, if this was a strategic leak, who might be hoping for what. My main guess is still Thomas trying to commit a wavering judge, but I could actually see Roberts trying to dissuade one. All depends on what kinds of 'when people find out, what do you think will happen?' arguments have been going on behind closed doors.

Though there is still the idea that it was leaked in order to impact the midterms... or the mundane non-strategic 'clerk thought the press should know'. Heh.. maybe time for a theory poll?
Dave from down under

Re: I wanna riot (because Roe)

Post by Dave from down under »

So long as it includes

Beer buddy
Insurgent Wife
Etc
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... ium=social

The abortion Underground Railroad already exists. See Auntie Network on reddit.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

neeneko wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:09 am
Gregg wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:19 am Interesting, if longshot theory on the leak.

I could actually see that. I've been poking around and thinking trying to figure out, if this was a strategic leak, who might be hoping for what. My main guess is still Thomas trying to commit a wavering judge, but I could actually see Roberts trying to dissuade one. All depends on what kinds of 'when people find out, what do you think will happen?' arguments have been going on behind closed doors.

Though there is still the idea that it was leaked in order to impact the midterms... or the mundane non-strategic 'clerk thought the press should know'. Heh.. maybe time for a theory poll?
It was coming before the election, anyway.

Unintended consequence department. In the 26 states that will instantly outlaw abortion outright on the ruling becoming official, medical students working toward OB/GYN specialties will pretty much have to go to other states, because even physicians who do not perform the procedure still need a certain amount of training in some way relating to it that eventually will require them to see actual patients, of which there will be none (who can admit it without fear of arrest anyway).

Therefore, the medical schools in those states will lose those students, possibly more for related reasons and since its an odd coincidence that these states are often the ones who will not take the extra Medicaid funds a lot of training opportunities related to that push a few to go to schools in states where science is still legal.

Five years down the road, The People's Republic of the Confederate States have a severe doctor's shortage, particularly OB/GYNs.

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Gregg wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:31 pm
neeneko wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:09 am

It was coming before the election, anyway.

Unintended consequence department. In the 26 states that will instantly outlaw abortion outright on the ruling becoming official, medical students working toward OB/GYN specialties will pretty much have to go to other states, because even physicians who do not perform the procedure still need a certain amount of training in some way relating to it that eventually will require them to see actual patients, of which there will be none (who can admit it without fear of arrest anyway).

Therefore, the medical schools in those states will lose those students, possibly more for related reasons and since its an odd coincidence that these states are often the ones who will not take the extra Medicaid funds a lot of training opportunities related to that push a few to go to schools in states where science is still legal.

Five years down the road, The People's Republic of the Confederate States have a severe doctor's shortage, particularly OB/GYNs.
As you say, it (lack of doctors who can perform abortions) was coming before the election, anyway. Here's a paper from 11/2014 that discusses how to increase the supply of doctors with experience and expertise in abortion and it reads like there was a long way to go 8 years ago. Basically studying abortion is optional. It's an elective and most students don't take it.
https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinical- ... -education
raison de arizona

DHS doing crowd control at LA protests? Wha...?
raison de arizona

Local pro-life MAGA asshole kids showed up at the PHX Roe protest to try and play the victim. It went poorly for them. They can eat a bag of dicks. Not the time, not the place for them to push their ignorant views.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”