Happy International Worker's Day, peeps!

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Happy International Worker's Day, peeps!

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, also known as International Labor Day.

"There will come a time when our silence will be more powerful than the voices you strangle today."
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Re: Happy International Worker's Day, peeps!

Post by mojosapien »

Our postal workers and weather forecasters can rest hehehe
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

mojosapien wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:14 am Our postal workers and weather forecasters can rest hehehe
My spouse (and many of the USPS employees who work out of sight of the general public) work around the clock at large sorting facilities. Kinda like rust never sleeping, you know.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Workers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but a job you hate.

And everything you bought with a loan that is not yet paid off.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Azastan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 11:55 am
mojosapien wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:14 am Our postal workers and weather forecasters can rest hehehe
My spouse (and many of the USPS employees who work out of sight of the general public) work around the clock at large sorting facilities. Kinda like rust never sleeping, you know.
I know because I get updates about packages arriving at various facilities at all hours. Someone is driving and receiving.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.bing.com/search?q=May+day+s ... ORM=HPNN01
Workers strike and rally for rights in major US cities

Sixty-hour workweeks at poverty wages inspire marchers to mass in Chicago, New York, Milwaukee, and other American cities. Among their demands are an 8-hour workday and better labor conditions. The strikes and rallies will inspire International Worker's Day.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

So, any inside info on when the USPS will lift the embargo against Australia?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

keith wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:15 pm
No, but there's a lot of people annoyed about it. I think there must be something else going on, because at first it was 'COVID' (on Australia's end, not the US), then Australia Post had issues with delivery due to fires, but that excuse has gone away. I can't imagine that there's still issues with getting parcels onto planes, so I am pretty suspicious of it now.

You can send letter mail, but not Priority Mail.
keith

Post by keith »

Azastan wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:05 pm
keith wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:15 pm

No, but there's a lot of people annoyed about it. I think there must be something else going on, because at first it was 'COVID' (on Australia's end, not the US), then Australia Post had issues with delivery due to fires, but that excuse has gone away. I can't imagine that there's still issues with getting parcels onto planes, so I am pretty suspicious of it now.

You can send letter mail, but not Priority Mail.
1) Sydney mail center that handles inbound international mail was closed for 1 week due to staff shortages during a lockdown (which was caused by some pilots going off grid for a couple of days). The USPS embargo was imposed almost a month AFTER the center had reopened.

2) There have been NO fires that closed the airport or any Aussie Post facility. There may have been fires that would have delayed deliveries to local recipients for a few days, but that does not affect international arrivals.

3) I understand that USPS likes to use passenger planes "spare" room and there arent any passenger planes coming in (well there are now, but I think its 8 per week US to Aus, instead of hundreds), but every other country in the world managed to cope and deliver the mail without difficulty. There were plenty of freight planes getting in.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

keith wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 8:29 pm

3) I understand that USPS likes to use passenger planes "spare" room and there arent any passenger planes coming in (well there are now, but I think its 8 per week US to Aus, instead of hundreds), but every other country in the world managed to cope and deliver the mail without difficulty. There were plenty of freight planes getting in.
USPS used to use passenger planes, but it was deemed too dangerous to routinely use passenger aircraft after 9/11. We share space with Fed Ex planes, for the most part, so it may very well be that Fed Ex isn't allowing USPS to place any parcels on their planes at the moment. I don't know if this holds true for international mail, since international mail facilities are now far and few between. SEA used to send mail for CANADA direct to various Canadian destinations, but we were eventually directed to dispatch, via air, down to San Francisco, so that it could be flown back up to Canada.

Certain classes of mail, such as registered mail, were still being placed on passenger aircraft, at least when I retired.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

The list of 15 "suspended" countries is weird, though.
Estiveoshot_20220501_181629.jpg
Image Image Image Image
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Estiveo wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 9:19 pm The list of 15 "suspended" countries is weird, though.

Yes it is. Those countries have all been suspended for almost two years. It's the parcels that aren't getting through for NZ and Australia, not letter mail.

Why?
keith

Post by keith »

Maybe this has something to do with it?

(From Wikipedia)
While he divested shares in UPS and Amazon before taking on his role, DeJoy drew scrutiny for not divesting from his $30–$75 million equity stake in XPO, a subcontractor for USPS. Under his tenure as Postmaster General, USPS has increased its business with XPO.[32] Additionally, when DeJoy sold his Amazon shares, he purchased stock options in Amazon that represent between 20 and 100% of his prior holdings.[33][34] USPS prioritizes Amazon package delivery.[
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

keith wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:22 am Maybe this has something to do with it?

(From Wikipedia)
While he divested shares in UPS and Amazon before taking on his role, DeJoy drew scrutiny for not divesting from his $30–$75 million equity stake in XPO, a subcontractor for USPS. Under his tenure as Postmaster General, USPS has increased its business with XPO.[32] Additionally, when DeJoy sold his Amazon shares, he purchased stock options in Amazon that represent between 20 and 100% of his prior holdings.[33][34] USPS prioritizes Amazon package delivery.
Possibly.

It's just very curious all around. I expect that at some time in the future we will learn why NZ and Australia had parcel delivery cut off, but there really doesn't seem to be a GOOD reason any more. Could be those two countries have more of a hand in the embargo than they want to admit, could be the US is the main reason for the embargo.

Return to “Whatever Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”