Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Slim Cognito

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: Slim Cognito

Post by neonzx »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:13 pm
jez wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:12 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:10 pm Well crap! I have jury duty tomorrow, in DeathSantis Florida. This is my fourth summons but I was released from the first three (you call after 5 the night before to see if you have to show). I was hoping this would also go away.

and masks aren't required.

What if I show up and just start coughing?
I say show up double masked with a face shield and nitrile gloves on. The bright purple ones that cannot be missed.
I can do that. I'll put them on the table now. (I was already going to double mask. I have KN-95s but they hurt my ears so I put a cloth mask with ties over it so I can release the ear elastic. )
Is that affirmed? I've received jury notices 3 times, but on the day of automated call-in (or before?) my number didn't come up, so never had to go...

(regardless, such is our penance for being registered voters...)
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Yes, I have to go. I called the number at 5:00 and I'm in the group that has to show. I was worried because I have a low number this time, but still had my fingers crossed.

And to be clear, it's not the jury duty I'm upset about, it's the covid.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:57 pm Yes, I have to go. I called the number at 5:00 and I'm in the group that has to show. I was worried because I have a low number this time, but still had my fingers crossed.
:(
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

That sucks. Good luck.

I have a family hearing that was belayed -- in Iowa. They switched back to Zoom for tomorrow because Covid.

Florida is going to kill off everyone.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I’m in. I’d say masks are running 60/40 pro.

Update: that went south fast. If 30% are masked, I’d be surprised.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:41 am I’m in. I’d say masks are running 60/40 pro.

Update: that went south fast. If 30% are masked, I’d be surprised.
:mad: :bighug:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I bet less than 15% are masked.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:34 am I bet less than 15% are masked.
Now I wonder if it's a requirement to get into (and stay in) a court building here to wear a mask.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Up in my neck of the woods/prairie, masks are required in the courthouse (and about anywhere else indoors). It appears they also changed practices to create distancing and reduce the number of juries in the pool on a given day. I wonder how wearing masks may be a challenge to the litigator as they have fewer facial clues to monitor in the jury.
101010 :towel:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

got sent home at 9:30 for "lunch." Have to be back at 1. I'm hoping this means they're trying to work out a settlement without us?????

Anyhoo, bummed about having to drive back down but now I know where everything is and at least that's 3-1/2 hours I don't have to sit in a room with 80% unmasked idiots.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I’m home from my surreal jury duty experience. There was virtually no masking, no social distancing And when the jury clerk came out from behind her plexiglass to make announcements to the group, she apologized for having a mask on. I kid you not.

So you can imagine my relief when I did not get picked.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:dance:

Good for you! And what a relief!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
filly

Post by filly »

In the olden days I would always tell people who asked me how to get out of jury duty about the importance of serving, etc. But in Florida with a COVID surge of nearly 1000% and nearly all mitigation measures being "illegal?" No fucking way. Glad you got out of it but having to risk your health to go down there is horrific.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

filly wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:10 pm Glad you got out of it but having to risk your health to go down there is horrific.
:yeahthat:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:24 pm ... she apologized for having a mask on. I kid you not.
:shock:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:42 am
Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:24 pm ... she apologized for having a mask on. I kid you not.
Swear. To. God! She said, and this is a pretty accurate quote, "I'm sorry I have to wear this mask but it's to protect you."

The other jury clerks also wore masks when they came out from behind their plexiglass cage.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, and I know why. If she didn't disown the mask first thing, the lunatic fringe would instantly and loudly hassle her about it, at a time when she needs to focus on, y'know, filling the jury boxes. She knows that the sane people, like you, will not angrily intervene if she disowns the mask, so she took the safe option that gave her a chance to do her actual job.

Can you imagine if'n she DIDN'T say that, and someone started hassling her about the mask, and she tried to argue using facts and science and all that stupid nonsense? She'd never have a chance to fill out a panel. She could just stand there and argue with a moron all day.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:17 am Yeah, and I know why. If she didn't disown the mask first thing, the lunatic fringe would instantly and loudly hassle her about it, at a time when she needs to focus on, y'know, filling the jury boxes. She knows that the sane people, like you, will not angrily intervene if she disowns the mask, so she took the safe option that gave her a chance to do her actual job.

Can you imagine if'n she DIDN'T say that, and someone started hassling her about the mask, and she tried to argue using facts and science and all that stupid nonsense? She'd never have a chance to fill out a panel. She could just stand there and argue with a moron all day.
I can see that... this is not Miami-Dade .. this is Lee County. Red as Red is. Understandable.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:07 am
Foggy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:42 am
Swear. To. God! She said, and this is a pretty accurate quote, "I'm sorry I have to wear this mask but it's to protect you."

The other jury clerks also wore masks when they came out from behind their plexiglass cage.
On a recent zoom with friends, one woman said she had apologized for wearing a mask while going for a drive with her right-wing sister. She felt bad because the sister had been snotty about it. To put the end of the story first, we agreed that it would be best not to apologize in instances like this--because you're implying that you're doing something wrong. This gives the power to whomever you're talking to. In this case, the sister was indeed snotty, leading to resentment by my friend.

Which is all to say, don't apologize to asshats for doing the right thing.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

On a brighter note, a neighbor asked me to pick her up at the mechanic shop after she dropped off her car. I brought a clean KN95 for her to use but when she hopped in the car, she was already wearing one. That's the first time I'd seen her wear a mask.

(I didn't warn her ahead of time because I figured it was easier to force it on her once I was there. Mask or call somebody else)
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Getting off jury duty: loud voicing concerns about others not wearing mask and no social distancing in the jury stand and jury room while waiting for selection?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:38 am Getting off jury duty: loud voicing concerns about others not wearing mask and no social distancing in the jury stand and jury room while waiting for selection?
Blurting out "the squinty eyed motherfucker looks guilty to me" works too.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Honestly? As I answered the preselected questions, one of which was had any of my family been convicted of a crime, I answered that my (step)son had been incarcerated, the judge and prosecutor continued to question me:

What was he incarcerated for?
Drugs.

Do you feel he was treated fairly?
I don't know?

Could you make a nonprejudicial decision despite that incident?
I guess.

That doesn't sound convincing.
Yes???????

Can you put your emotions aside?
I'm pretty emotional.

(not picked)
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Do we not have a Facebook thread? If not, don't start one. Just dropping this here.

It's been two years since trump suggested ingesting/injecting bleach to cure covid. A meme showing a bottle of Clorox tablets made the rounds which I posted on FB at the time, when I used to post rather liberally (yuk, yuk).
I got a message from Facebook last night that I'm suspended for a month, well from Live! and advertising, because somebody might see that two year old post and drink bleach.

I was given the option to accept or object. Knowing it would make no difference, I objected. It's the principle. The response was that they were short-handed bc of covid so tough shit.

I quit posting frequently a few months ago so I don't give a carp, but I'm guessing calls for "Joe and the H*'s" removal is still peachy keen.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”