Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Yes, Another Music Thread: The Covers

John Thomas8

Re: Yes, Another Music Thread: The Covers

Post by John Thomas8 »

Yes, Cooper, Joe Perry (Aerosmith) and some of the better current studio guys as backing.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Julian Lennon wrote: 76.4K subscribers
“The War on Ukraine is an unimaginable tragedy... As a human, and as an artist, I felt compelled to respond in the most significant way I could.

So today, for the first time ever, I publicly performed my Dad’s song, IMAGINE.

Why now, after all these years? - I had always said, that the only time I would ever consider singing ‘IMAGINE' would be if it was the ‘End of the World’…

But also because his lyrics reflect our collective desire for peace worldwide. Because within this song, we’re transported to a space, where love and togetherness become our reality, if but for a moment in time…

The song reflects the light at the end of the tunnel, that we are all hoping for...

As a result of the ongoing murderous violence, millions of innocent families, have been forced to leave the comfort of their homes, to seek asylum elsewhere.

I’m calling on world leaders and everyone who believes in the sentiment of IMAGINE, to stand up for refugees everywhere! Please advocate and donate from the heart. #StandUpForUkraine”

—Julian Lennon
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Lani

Post by Lani »

That's beautiful. Also, :crying:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Phoenix520 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:36 pm Love Bonnie Raitt. I went to a blues concert at the Merriwhether Post Pavilion one time - Litte Feat with Lowell George, Paul Butterfield Blues Band and Bonnie Raitt. Each did their sets then they all came back on stage together for a big ol’ jam. It was lit!!
That would have been epic and beyond.

I saw Bonnie just afterthe No Nukes record came out, and she was super great, but I can't remember who the supports were.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Listening to different performers on the same piece is generally a requirement for musicians (especially when in school). However, so as to not create a post with 15 different versions of the same song on organ, instead I will show the same piece done on a variety of different instruments.

The easiest one to find many different versions is Bach's “Little” Fugue in g minor, BWV 578.

We first start with organ, since that was the original. Since I don't have a recording of me playing it (and I have many times) we will start with Jonathan Scott

You can't keep a brass group away from a Bach Fugue so next comes the Canadian Brass

Saxophones want to feel some Bach loving so here is a Saxophone Quartet – US Army Field Band

Are you tired of wind instruments? How about guitars?

Tetraktys Guitar Quartet

Matching bands always have to get into the act but usually create a shorter version to fit into their larger show.

The Carolina Crown

And yes, you can sing it, and swing it.

The Swingle Singers

I imagine there are all sorts of other versions for this fugue.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Cool!!!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hubby's suggested covers.

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Rolling Stones:

The Animals:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

What a cool instrument Luna’s playing!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Off Topic
John Prine. Sigh. I used to go to bluegrass festivals all over the DC Metro area. Back then, Bathyspere or whatever it’s called was the Bluegrass Capitol of the US. So much bluegrass.

One year in Blackwater Falls WV both Steve Goodman and Doug Kershaw were absolutely blotto for their sets. Goodman started to fall off the stage at one point and Prine bounded over, caught him, and then called for his guitar and they finished the set together. Kershaw was so far gone, he couldn’t even begin his set so Prine did yet a third set that day. I didn’t mind at all.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Free, Paul Rogers on vocals:

Blackfoot, Rickey Medlocke on vocals:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

ZZ Tops "Gimme all your lovin" - Th Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain

Wuthering Heights - The Lockdown Isolation edition

Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ok one more. The Lovecats originally by the Cure.

Hic sunt dracones
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Tiredretiredlawyer

Hubby loved the cover. He sent it to me in an email. I prefer the original. Hubby and I disagree about the Lenny Kravitz cover of "American Woman" in the second Austin Powers movie. I prefer the original by the Guess Who.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:58 pm Hubby loved the cover. He sent it to me in an email. I prefer the original. Hubby and I disagree about the Lenny Kravitz cover of "American Woman" in the second Austin Powers movie. I prefer the original by the Guess Who.
I prefer most originals, with the exception maybe of Bob Dylan songs. :rotflmao:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Back to John Prine covers:

The original:

A cover by Swamp Dogg
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

R.E.M. did covers of 2 or 3 Velvet Underground tunes. Not sure which version of "There She Goes Again" I'd prefer, as they both sound great.

The Velvet's version:

R.E.M.'s:

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Somebody mentioned Mario Brothers on another thread so....

The original music by Koji Kondo (you can make the bing sounds yourself).

BYU VocalPoint (they are nice enough to add the game sound effects vocally).

I'm an organist. You didn't t think I would skip that? This is only the first movement, the opening theme. I may have the organ sheet music for this but I have not bothered to work it up.
101010 :towel:
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

The great Bryan Ferry was brought up in the other thread, so then I remembered that he's done a LOT of covers. He's done two whole albums of nothing but covers of Dylan tunes.

I can't say this is one of my favorite Dylan songs, but it's probably my favorite Ferry cover of a Dylan tune.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Sweet freams are made of this by the Eurythmics,

Sweet dreams are made of this by Emily browning from Sucker Punch. A pretty messed up movie but I love this, becasue who the hell can be against a WW2 bomber fighting a goddam Dragon?

Hic sunt dracones
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Rush

Steve Morse
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Interesting. I hadn't heard any of Morse's work before. Of course, the odds I'm going to like the cover of a Rush tune (especially a Lifeson-heavy song) are almost infinitesimally small - I'm just that much of a Rush fan, but Morse's take isn't bad. There were some things I really didn't care for - in particular his heavy use of very short staccato and muting of strings. It made it sound to me like he was leaving bits out here and there or maybe "ghosting" the music instead of actually putting it out there to be heard. That probably doesn't make much sense, but I don't know how else to put it.

I can tell. though, that Morse is a very talented guitarist. That song is one Hel of a beast to play - I tried many times before I had to stop playing. Not that I was ever that great of a player - more high-mediocre than anything :) But Morse has got some serious chops and I'll need to check out some of his other work.

Thanks for sharing that!
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:36 am Interesting. I hadn't heard any of Morse's work before. Of course, the odds I'm going to like the cover of a Rush tune (especially a Lifeson-heavy song) are almost infinitesimally small - I'm just that much of a Rush fan, but Morse's take isn't bad. There were some things I really didn't care for - in particular his heavy use of very short staccato and muting of strings. It made it sound to me like he was leaving bits out here and there or maybe "ghosting" the music instead of actually putting it out there to be heard. That probably doesn't make much sense, but I don't know how else to put it.

I can tell. though, that Morse is a very talented guitarist. That song is one Hel of a beast to play - I tried many times before I had to stop playing. Not that I was ever that great of a player - more high-mediocre than anything :) But Morse has got some serious chops and I'll need to check out some of his other work.

Thanks for sharing that!
Steve's start was the Dixie Dregs, and unfortunately we've probably lost him as a touring musician as he's staying home with his wife who's battling cancer. I've been privileged to see him twice as a Dreg and it was magical.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Dreams I’ll never see

Allman Bros:

Molly Hatchet:

I prefer the Hatchet version.

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”