Post by John Thomas8 »

Take a break, watch a good band:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Music Free-for-all

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.openculture.com/2022/08/wat ... -solo.html
Watch a Jaw-Dropping Visualization of John Coltrane’s “Giant Steps” Solo

“The underlying harmonic movement of Coltrane’s 16-bar composition — often called the ‘Coltrane Changes’ — has long been a settled module in jazz education pedagogy,” writes Stuart Nicholson in an essay for Jazzwise. Citing Coltrane scholar and biographer Lewis Porter, Nicholson calls the composition “effectively an étude — or a thorough study — of third-related chord movement”: 26 chords and 10 key changes between 3 keys, B, G, and Eb.

It took a mind and will like Coltrane’s to draw these threads together into the harmonic complexity of “Giant Steps.” The composition’s “relentless chord changes of key create a harmonic obstacle course that is difficult to navigate, more so at this rapid tempo,” Woideck writes. This is especially so for soloists, as pianist Tommy Flanagan found out when he almost lost the thread in his solo section.

In the visualization above by Harlan Brothers, we see Coltrane sail through his solo, bouncing off his band while they work through the changes. “Instead of just visualizing the sax solo,” writes Brothers, “I thought it would be super fun to be able to see how the entire quartet interacted,” including Flanagan, bassist Paul Chambers, and drummer Art Taylor. See Coltrane’s changes hit like colored drops of rain in a downpour in the animation and learn more about how it was made at Brother’s YouTube page.

Coltrane’s complexity is daunting for the most accomplished musicians. How much more so for non-musicians? It can seem like “you need a doctorate of music to go anywhere near his recordings,” Nicholson writes. But “nothing could be further from the truth.” With its dancing lines and circles, Brother’s visualization gives us another way to appreciate the “sheer joy of music making and the power and energy of his playing” that inspires students, serious fans, and newcomers alike through “universal values that still speak to us now.”
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

neonzx wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:41 pm // I'm going to throw another R.E.M. in here -- much more old
// and Michael Stipe had hair :D
If you watch this, you'll see Stipe does not participate in the interview part with David Letterman, but sat back behind on a chair.
Digging in to the thread's early daze here.

The comments on YouTube report that "nobody sounded like them yet" and similar remarks.

I enjoy their music, but I can't say I'm a fanatic. In what way were they "ahead of their time", in what way did "nobody sound like them".

Because I think there were, and always have been bands that sounded "like them" in general, A base and a rhythm guitar played reasonably fast and drums. What is unique about that? Is it just that people of a certain age always think the first band they connect with sound completely different?

Understand, I am not putting down the band in any way shape or form. I'm trying to understand hyperbolic remarks.

Edumacate me please.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

keith wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:06 am Digging in to the thread's early daze here.

The comments on YouTube report that "nobody sounded like them yet" and similar remarks.

I enjoy their music, but I can't say I'm a fanatic. In what way were they "ahead of their time", in what way did "nobody sound like them".

Because I think there were, and always have been bands that sounded "like them" in general, A base and a rhythm guitar played reasonably fast and drums. What is unique about that? Is it just that people of a certain age always think the first band they connect with sound completely different?

Understand, I am not putting down the band in any way shape or form. I'm trying to understand hyperbolic remarks.

Edumacate me please.
Generally, I agree with you. The instrumentation was generic. For me, it was the lyrics, which is what Stipe wrote and sang. And me trying to decipher the meanings of some songs (outside the Pop Top-40 hits). Even on occasion had to consult a paper dictionary back then cause he threw in words or references I didn't know.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Okay, that was pretty cool, Kendra! And I don't even like that song. :blackeye:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

The Kraken ;)
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:54 am Okay, that was pretty cool, Kendra! And I don't even like that song. :blackeye:
What, did Billie Jean try to claim you were the father of one of her kids, too? ;)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Michael Jackson, yuk.

Disco, double yuk.

Ptui. :boxing:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

That was totally fucked up* - thanks for sharing! I've never seen anything like it!

*in a good way :mrgreen:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Foggy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:24 am Michael Jackson, yuk.

Disco, double yuk.

Ptui. :boxing:
IOW I should return the MJ Complete Collection CD's I got from Reader's Digest for you for Christmas this year. Noted.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Kendra wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:40 pm https: //www.facebook.com/live.foreveroasistribu ... 551924466/
Definitely amazing to see and hear. They are maestros of guitar.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yes, bill_g. Thank you.

Can you imagine four otherwise talented and intelligent men, who are capable of wonders like that, and they decide to spend dozens, or maybe even hundreds of hours practicing the piece, and so after a lot of thought and discussion, they choose ... Billie Jean by Michael Jackson? :eek:

And one of them TAPS HIS FOOT instead of dancing? :shock:

Now if'n they'd done Don't Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult, or Third Stone from the Sun by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, or Wipeout by the Surfaris ... well then I could understand. :mrgreen:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

This isn't Third Stone from the Sun, but the man could play acoustic guitar.

🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:18 am Yes, bill_g. Thank you.

Can you imagine four otherwise talented and intelligent men, who are capable of wonders like that, and they decide to spend dozens, or maybe even hundreds of hours practicing the piece, and so after a lot of thought and discussion, they choose ... Billie Jean by Michael Jackson? :eek:

Now if'n they'd done Don't Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult, or Third Stone from the Sun by the Jimi Hendrix Experience, or Wipeout by the Surfaris ... well then I could understand. :mrgreen:
That's because their target audience wasn't dead. Why play something the audience doesn't know?
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Foggy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:18 am Yes, bill_g. Thank you.

I also wondered how long they practiced that, but imagined they were expert enough to have it in a session or two.

And as seen in the vid, Jimi plays left handed. He was an exceptional guitarist. I had most of his albums back in the day.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, his loss was tragic, he would have made so much more great music.

I think Frank Zappa was a great guitar player, too also, but ... Zappa ... :|

As far as Billie Jean being way newer than my (humorous) choices, and thus recognizable to a wider audience, umm ...

Billie Jean was released in 1982. Six whole years after Don't Fear the Reaper. :bored: :roll:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:49 pm As far as Billie Jean being way newer than my (humorous) choices, and thus recognizable to a wider audience, umm ...

Billie Jean was released in 1982. Six whole years after Don't Fear the Reaper. :bored: :roll:
Yeah, but Billie Jean wasn't stoner music, the choice of a previous generation. It was NEW. :boxing:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, the latest thing is galactic punk metal bluegrass from the planet Zorcon. :dance: That's all I really listen to today.

It's not about new, it's about ROCKIN'!
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 4:10 pm Yeah, the latest thing is galactic punk metal bluegrass from the planet Zorcon. :dance: That's all I really listen to today.

It's not about new, it's about ROCKIN'!
I've heard about them. Thanks for the reminder... I've been meaning to hit my local record shop to pickup their latest vinyl. :dance:

Meanwhile, if you want to get up to speed... the year is 2022-- if you have not looked at your wall calendar. :?

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Hand Selected for Foggy by Moi

First and best morphing sequence I'd ever seen in a music video.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Another Hand-selected song for Foggy. Wow, I loved this one back in the day. It's early side DISCO era, buddy, not stoner music.

Yoiu can throw your towel :towel: in anytime, Foghorn. I've already won this. :biggrin:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

neonzx wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:53 pm Hand Selected for Foggy by Moi

First and best morphing sequence I'd ever seen in a music video.
Actually, there was another video that used the same morphing concept - though not *nearly* as smoothly as MJ - released in 1985, 6 years before Black and White. It was by Godley and Creme - 2 former members of 10cc - and called "Cry". The effect is clearly more primitive than MJs, but not too bad given how much earlier it was made...

Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

If my poor, abused website is gonna host disco now ... :faint: ... well, I do love to hear percussion ...

🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:36 am Actually, there was another video that used the same morphing concept - though not *nearly* as smoothly as MJ - released in 1985, 6 years before Black and White. It was by Godley and Creme - 2 former members of 10cc - and called "Cry". The effect is clearly more primitive than MJs, but not too bad given how much earlier it was made...
https://youtu.be/ypMnBuvP5kA
Good song. I had heard it in the past. On the video, though-- it appears to be regular fade transitions - long used trick on TV and motion pictures --NOT morphing (which would be computer manipulated imagery).

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”