Music Free-for-all

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Music Free-for-all

Post by keith »

bill_g wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:05 pm
neonzx wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:02 am
bill_g wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:11 am The really kewl thing about Daft Punk is the song title is also the entire lyrics. That is just so handy when deciding which song to listen to.

https://youtu.be/K0HSD_i2DvA?si=47xk-q71ynZzm142
You and I are closer in age/era than I thought.
I'm 70 this year, but my music tastes are about 20-30 years back. I bought new Cat Stevens and Creedance albums in the 60's. I had Led Zepplin before any of us even knew who Led Zepplin was going to be. I chuckled when my boys dug through my old milk crate in the 80's to find it. They didn't realize how old it was, but it was still in rotation on the radio. In the 70's I had Pure Prairie League, America, and Eagles. In the 80's I moved on to The Cure, Cars, Go-Go's, and B52's. In the 90's we were paying towards the almighty mortgage, and elective album purchases became history.

I didn't get back into music until the 2010's when I was a volunteer at KBOO, our local leftist commie LGB kitchen sink station that played everything. That's when I was turned on to Fela Kuti, and a whole bunch of other artists new, newish, fell of the chartish, old, and ancient. I helped convert the massive library they had from vinyl and tape to digital meaning I had to play it in real time, clean it up if possible, and presevere the of best it. I got one hell of baptism, and new appreciation for genres I probably would have never found on my own.
I'm a couple of years older than you, but my trajectory is similar, but without the radio station gig. I still have the first record I ever bought with my own money, Iron Butterfly "Heavy" and it's still in at least Very Good Plus condition. Most of my old records are in t least VG condition because I didn't carry them around from party to party. I used to record LPs onto cassette to preserve the vinyl and to this day I still record to mp3 for use in the car. Friends used to be surprised that I maintained my vinyl collection and that I even kept my turntable up and running. But now that vinyl is 'back' (at least for now) they kind of understand.

My LP collection slowed down and eventually stopped when I moved to Australia just as CD's were coming in. For a while it was often a hard choice between something new on vinyl or duplicate something old on CD. But during this period, I did hear a lot of new music from Australia. The Saints, Chain, Sky, Crowded House, Midnight Oil, Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs, Skyhooks, Jo Jo Zepp, ... But I probably concentrated on digging deeper into Blues and Jazz than I had in the past.

I used to kind of turn up my nose at CDs, though SWMBO loved the convenience. I once despaired that a favourite album (Alan Parsons Project "Tales of Mystery and Imagination") would never be redone on CD, so I bought a computer audio program, recorded it myself and burned it to CD. Two weeks later I found the album in a record store and bought just to do the right thing. The commercial product was crap compared to my version, and I ended up giving it away. I have decided that part of the problem at least was that it was remastered during the height of the "loudness wars" when they screwed up a lot of 'classic' stuff and killed the dynamics.

I have in the last couple of years catalogued my collection into Discogs for insurance purposes (but my primary database is Collectorz dot com Music Collector). I was shocked to find that my vinyl collection (just under 1500 albums) was theoretically worth more than $66k (Australian dollars) and the CDs (over 1000) almost $19k. Of course, I'm not selling, and those numbers don't include the value of the hundreds of Australian releases that don't have any sales history on Discogs. I have very few 'collectable artifacts' - records are meant to be played, not locked up in a vault someplace.

Of course, you can't fix a scratch, but old records that sound noisy can usually be brought to life with some thorough cleaning. A bit of TLC on your old turntable, a new belt and stylus/cartridge, and you too can be experiencing the joys of getting up every 15 minutes to turn the record over.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Music Free-for-all

Post by northland10 »

A month or so back, I did a quick recording of someone singing (and doing double duty as the accompanist) the aria "Vechia Zimarra" from Puccini's La Bohème. I apologize that it sounds like it was recorded in a small carpeted room. It was.

The aria is the philosopher Colline's farewell to his coat which is selling to make money to buy medication to help Mimi. Seems a little melodramatic but he is a philosopher, and it is opera.
addressing his overcoat, which he has just taken off:

Dear old coat, listen,
I stay here below,
but you must now
ascend the mount of piety!
Receive my thanks.
You never bent your threadbare
back to the rich and powerful.
You have sheltered in your pockets
like peaceful caves,
philosophers and poets.
Now that happy days
have fled, I bid you farewell,
my faithful friend,
farewell, farewell.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
101010 :towel:
qbawl

Music Free-for-all

Post by qbawl »

Remember Bailey Quarters? (WKRP)
qbawl

Music Free-for-all

Post by qbawl »

Double post deleted.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Music Free-for-all

Post by neonzx »

qbawl

Music Free-for-all

Post by qbawl »

You may have noticed I'm a big Beatles fan! Met my first serious girlfriend because of a Beatles song. But I'd never seen this clip. check the madness about the 4 minute mark.
keith

Music Free-for-all

Post by keith »

I've seen that clip many, many times but had not seen it with the David Frost intro. Thanks
John Thomas8

Music Free-for-all

Post by John Thomas8 »

When Dave Grohl is your friend:

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Music Free-for-all

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Major COOL!!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

Definitely cool. David Grohl is like that. I wish Nandi the best in her career.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Music Free-for-all

Post by johnpcapitalist »

I had discovered Nandi Bushell before. She's awesome. Here's a video from a couple of days ago on Drumeo, which is a YouTube channel for learning to play the drums (both beginning and really advanced). They get a lot of legendary players to come in and talk. I've been subscribing for a while, thinking of going back and learning to play the drums as an adult -- I was insufferably bad as a 12-year-old, but think I could do better today.

What's impressive about this video is that Nandi is introduced to a Twisted Sister song that she hasn't heard before (without the drum track) and she puts together in a matter of minutes a drum part for this song that, in some ways, is better than the original. She's not just someone who can operate a drum set and replicate others' parts. She's a real musician who can create music, and she's able to operate at the top of the game at just 13.

I hope her parents keep her grounded and that she has a long and stellar career.

keith

Music Free-for-all

Post by keith »

Linda Ronstadt inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2014 - at least 15 years too late, but I digress.

The song tribute includes Carrie Underwood, Sheryl Crow, Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris, Stevie Nicks.

I can't say I was impressed with either Underwood or Crow, Raitt and Harris seemed to have had their mics sabotaged (I assume Paul Shaffer was the musical director, I doubt he would allow that, but they were almost unheard), and Nicks seems to have lost a step or two with her voice. But overall they did a fine tribute.

I miss Linda.

Suranis

Music Free-for-all

Post by Suranis »

I really like this performance of "In the hall of the Mountain King."

Hic sunt dracones
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Suranis wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:52 pm I really like this performance of "In the hall of the Mountain King"
That was good, thanks!
neonzx

Music Free-for-all

Post by neonzx »

John Thomas8

Music Free-for-all

Post by John Thomas8 »

Here's for Gregg, we wish he were here:

RVInit

Music Free-for-all

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
keith

Music Free-for-all

Post by keith »

Dedicated to the Finicums and the Bundys:

There's a couple of live versions out there I could have used, but the sound is less than optimal, so this is the LP version with the boring LP cover 'video'.

neonzx

Music Free-for-all

Post by neonzx »

RVInit

Music Free-for-all

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
keith

Music Free-for-all

Post by keith »

I saw him perform a different piece a couple of years ago at a Free Summer Concert by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra. He's good.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Music Free-for-all

Post by johnpcapitalist »

keith wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:01 am Dedicated to the Finicums and the Bundys:

There's a couple of live versions out there I could have used, but the sound is less than optimal, so this is the LP version with the boring LP cover 'video'.

Perhaps my favorite album of all time. Steely Dan at the height of their "snarling cynicism and dark, brooding irony" period, before they moved to the more unique musical structure and storytelling of the "Aja" and "Gaucho" period.

Whenever I gave a presentation to a large audience at some technology conference, I always used their song "Glamour Profession" (from "Gaucho") as the intro music right before I went on. It's a slick, upbeat semi-disco sound about a guy living a glamourous lifestyle; never mind that a close examination of the lyrics shows that he's a drug dealer fond of women of dubious repute or legality. And the outro music was "The Royal Scam," the title track from the album that featured the above cut.

In keeping with my professional responsibilities (on Wall Street and in my corporate strategy career today) as a debunker of many forms of bullshit, I have a framed 36" square store publicity poster for "The Royal Scam" on the wall above my office, to remind me that there's always another scam out there. That's the rarest of all mass-produced Steely Dan collectibles; I had a search running on eBay for 14 years and only two examples came up for bid in that time.
keith

Music Free-for-all

Post by keith »

Just to be clear. I'm not suggesting thatb the album cover is boring. only that as far as a music video goes, it is lacking a bit in the dynamism department.
Kendra

Music Free-for-all

Post by Kendra »

Long Train Runnin sung by Sonny & Cher
keith

Music Free-for-all

Post by keith »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:48 pm
Long Train Runnin sung by Sonny & Cher
I found that surprisingly disappointing.

Its certainly up tempo song, but they did it at a breakneck speed, didn't take a breath, and sounded like they had just finished a marathon. And they just screamed it, didn't sing it - it is not a blues screamer number for crying out loud.

I usually really like S&C - always a big fan. But like I said, this was disappointing.

And Cher was in her way too skinny phase.

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”