Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Music Free-for-all

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Music Free-for-all

Post by keith »

Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Music Free-for-all

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Music Free-for-all

Post by Lani »

I love this video. It was created for the 2020 Census to reach more Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders.

I've been on the Hawaii State Language Advisory Council for gawd awful years. Every time my appointment expired, I get another appointment in the mail from the governor.

I learned a lot. At one of our annual conventions, I wanted to be closer to the stage. There was an empty chair right in front, so I joined. The others were Marshall Islanders. They were so excited when I asked if I could sit there. We had a great time. I didn't realize that my sitting there was a statement. Then I learned more. I didn't know the awful discrimination they face. BTW: "The U.S. Must Take Responsibility for Nuclear Fallout in the Marshall Islands" https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... l-islands/

Anyway, here's the video - Enjoy!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Music Free-for-all

:clap: :clap: :clap:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Music Free-for-all

Post by Foggy »

Out from under. :thumbsup:
keith

Music Free-for-all

Post by keith »

Lani wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:51 am :snippity:
I learned a lot. At one of our annual conventions, I wanted to be closer to the stage. There was an empty chair right in front, so I joined. The others were Marshall Islanders. They were so excited when I asked if I could sit there. We had a great time. I didn't realize that my sitting there was a statement. Then I learned more. I didn't know the awful discrimination they face. BTW: "The U.S. Must Take Responsibility for Nuclear Fallout in the Marshall Islands" https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... l-islands/
:snippity:
Out of curiosity... why was it 'a statement' that you would sit with them - at a Language convention?
Lani

Music Free-for-all

Post by Lani »

keith wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:14 pm
Lani wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:51 am :snippity:
Then I learned more. I didn't know the awful discrimination they face. BTW: "The U.S. Must Take Responsibility for Nuclear Fallout in the Marshall Islands" https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... l-islands/
:snippity:
Out of curiosity... why was it 'a statement' that you would sit with them - at a Language convention?
It wasn't for me. I wanted a good seat. Then I learned the discrimination of Marshall Islanders. It was a big deal for the people at that meeting when I wanted to sit with them, and I was grateful to learn from them.

When covid hit, I contacted the pastor of the Marshall Islanders church on my former island to make sure that state information was provided in Marshallees. Nope. And I fought for it with the State to get info in in their language NOW!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
John Thomas8

Music Free-for-all

Post by John Thomas8 »

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Music Free-for-all

Post by northland10 »

They recently re-released it in 4K (note, those with slow connections will probably get a lower quality version on the recording).

Apparently, early on Walken was a dancer.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Music Free-for-all

Post by Foggy »

I think Fatboy Slim sounds suspiciously like Root Boy Slim, who I saw perform in the '70s.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Music Free-for-all

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Volkonski »

Tom Lehrer Puts His Songs into the Public Domain & Makes Them Free to Download (for a Limited Time)

https://www.openculture.com/2022/12/tom ... nload.html
Now, more easily than ever, you can hear how Lehrer sings about everything else, by simply downloading his music from his web site. “All copyrights to lyrics or music written or composed by me have been relinquished, and therefore such songs are now in the public domain,” he writes. “All of my songs that have never been copyrighted, having been available for free for so long, are now also in the public domain.” In short, he adds, “I no longer retain any rights to any of my songs.” We posted about the release of those songs themselves into the Public Domain a couple years ago, but last month Lehrer made the songs available online–for a limited time.

Not only is An Evening Wasted with Tom Lehrer free to stream or download on TomLehrerSongs.com — complete with tracks not available even on Spotify — so is its follow-up Revisited, That Was the Year That Was (featuring performances of the songs he wrote for the American version of That Was the Week That Was) and the three-disc collection The Remains of Tom Lehrer. Together these albums contain all the music Lehrer recorded before he stood up from the piano and became a professor, first of political science and later of mathematics (though he did teach some musical theater as well.)
https://tomlehrersongs.com/albums/
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by AndyinPA »

:dance:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Music Free-for-all

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:22 pm Tom Lehrer Puts His Songs into the Public Domain & Makes Them Free to Download (for a Limited Time)

https://www.openculture.com/2022/12/tom ... nload.html
Now, more easily than ever, you can hear how Lehrer sings about everything else, by simply downloading his music from his web site. “All copyrights to lyrics or music written or composed by me have been relinquished, and therefore such songs are now in the public domain,” he writes. “All of my songs that have never been copyrighted, having been available for free for so long, are now also in the public domain.” In short, he adds, “I no longer retain any rights to any of my songs.” We posted about the release of those songs themselves into the Public Domain a couple years ago, but last month Lehrer made the songs available online–for a limited time.
It is amazing that he would donate his body of work to the public so everyone can more easily discover it.

I remember listening to Dr. Demento every Sunday (I was fortunate to get the live broadcast in LA, his hometown, rather than the pre-recorded syndicated version). I memorized all the lyrics from every single Tom Lehrer song, and there were usually a couple he played in every week's show. The man has had a significant impact on my worldview and my own sense of humor. Even today, I have a framed copy of the vinyl version of "That Was the Year That Was" on my office wall.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Kriselda Gray »

My high school choir did a rendition of his song "Pollution".
Tiredretiredlawyer

Music Free-for-all

Dr. Demento aired in Central Arkansas in the 80's on Sundays midmorning. It was a great church substitute! "Boot to the Head" was a common saying in our household. :biggrin:
Volkonski
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Volkonski »

Thanks to the University of California-Santa Barbara Cylinder Audio Archive, you can now download or stream a digital collection of more than 10,000 cylinder recordings. “This searchable database,” says UCSB, “features all types of recordings made from the late 1800s to early 1900s, including popular songs, vaudeville acts, classical and operatic music, comedic monologues, ethnic and foreign recordings, speeches and readings.” You can also find in the archive a number of “personal recordings,” or “home wax recordings,” made by everyday people at home (as opposed to by record companies).
https://cylinders.library.ucsb.edu/index.php
keith

Music Free-for-all

Post by keith »

Couple of weeks ago I was cogitating on the idea of an album that is "all killer, no filler".

I came up with a few obvious examples off the top of my head but soon realized that they were all either genuine "greatest hits" or "concept albums".

My thoughts wanted to ID albums that were conceived as a collection of songs and every song was great. Not every track has to be a 'hit' but none could earn it place on the record just because they didn't have enough good songs to fill the album.

I thought about Love's "Changes" - its lauded as a masterpiece, and contains one of my all time favorite songs "Alone again, or..." - but on listening back there are a couple of tracks that just don't hold up. I thought about The Doors "The Doors" and/or "Strange Days", maybe even "L.A. Woman", but I may be too familiar and too biased to render a legitimate opinion. Beach Boys? Beatles? Stones? Certainly not Dylan. Quicksilver Messenger Service? Creedence? No. No. No. etc.

I was stumped. "All killer, no filler" used to be a (marketing) 'thing' back in the day. So why can't I think of some legitimate examples?

Then this morning SWMBO put on Carlos Santana's "Supernatural". Eureka!

Absolutely 100% genuine "all killer, no filler".

Volkonski
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by AndyinPA »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Wonderful!

I could sing the entire chorus until my respiratory problems started. :(
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
much ado

Music Free-for-all

Post by much ado »

Very nice.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Kriselda Gray »

That was great! I especially loved the littleguy jumping to hit the high notes!
:clap: :rotflmao:
Kendra

Music Free-for-all

Post by Kendra »

Look how young Pete is. I used to own the vinyl set for Live at Carnegie Hall :oldlady:

https:// www.facebook.com/watch?v=854436244940282
Edit: Has to be viewed on FB I assume. Worth a watch if you're on that site and a fan of Chicago.
Kendra

Music Free-for-all

Post by Kendra »

I loved Styx then and still love them now :oldlady:

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”