Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Music Free-for-all

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Re: Music Free-for-all

Post by northland10 »

I will keep most opinions to myself, though I should point out that it is a good thing that by performance time, the conductor's role is minimal (keeping time and adjusting the balance), because, quite simply, he is giving nothing. I sure hope he provided better cues during rehearsals.

I, of course, never show emotion in my conducting and facial gestures and always have proper technique. 8-)

Once in a graduate conductor course I took, after conducting the pick-up choir through some Hayden work, the prof came up and said, "the podium is not very large, but you really got a lot of mileage moving around on it." :oopsy:
101010 :towel:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https:// www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fb ... 0436513272

Video won't embed, go to FB to watch it, sorry. It was a couple of decades ago, but I was doing the touristy stuff in San Francisco's marina area and I stumbled across then Jefferson Airplane doing a street concert. Good times :)
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Very expressive! :faint:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Sergiu Celibidache along with Jascha Horenstein and some others were active in the post WW II period but got drowned out by the superstar conductors of that period when it came to commercial recordings.

When I was in college we few orchestra loving folk knew the names but had trouble finding any recordings. Nonesuch Records did some Mahler and a memorable Nielsen's 5th Symphony with Horenstein shortly before his death in 1973. Celibidache lived until 1996 but sabotaged his later career with acts of sexism in his treatment of orchestra members. Most of his now available recordings were not released until after his death.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Wowee, some great music everyone is posting these days. I love reading all the comments and musings about the music, too. I was reminded of my favorite classical traveling music by one of Kate520's posts - I love to listen to Handel's Water Music Suites while I'm driving. Perfect traveling music. I think I heard a story those suites were commissioned for some trip on a river. If true, well, all I can say is Handel did indeed write music perfect for traveling, IMHO.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

RVInit wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:05 pm Wowee, some great music everyone is posting these days. I love reading all the comments and musings about the music, too. I was reminded of my favorite classical traveling music by one of Kate520's posts - I love to listen to Handel's Water Music Suites while I'm driving. Perfect traveling music. I think I heard a story those suites were commissioned for some trip on a river. If true, well, all I can say is Handel did indeed write music perfect for traveling, IMHO.
Handel's "Water Music Suites" were commissioned by King George I to be played while George and his guests traveled by barge from Whitehall to Chelsea and back on July 17, 1717. In addition to the royal barge guests, crowds lined the Thames River to hear some of it. It was an immediate hit!

Years later in 1749 King George II commissioned Handel to write music to be played during a royal fireworks display. Another immediate hit!
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

You want festival music, you got it....

ETA: The reason I like this piece so much is that when my dad got stationed at his last base for the final 10+ years of his career, it was home to the Band of the AF Reserve. Every 4th of July they would play this piece, but every other year they would have an artillery unit from OK come with cannons. When it happened my JR year in high school, my father, at this point a group First Sergeant, was liaison to the Army personnel, as UASF vehicles would needed to be used to transport the pieces from the base to the stadium and back. Because of this, my father and I got to coat the inside of the barrels to the pieces with MIL issue mosquito repellant so when they fired off they would make smoke rings.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
northland10

Post by northland10 »

1812 Overture is always great, but I am also found of P.D.Q. Bach's (1807–1742)?, aka Professor Peter Schickele, 1712 Overture.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Cooool, Frater!!!!

Many moons ago Eastman School of Music held its annual kazoo concert. The 1812 Overture was played with audience participation. One side of the audience were the cannons and shouted "BOOM!" while the other side were the bells and shouted "Ding! Dong!Ding! Dong!" :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I love musical comedy!!!! 1712 Overture! :rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:41 pm Many moons ago Eastman School of Music held its annual kazoo concert.
At an American Guild of Organists regional convention in Kalamazoo, MI, the entertainment at the dinner/business meeting was the collective attendees playing (sort of sight-reading, at least on Kazoo) a Bach Fugue, on kazoos. Kazoos in Kalamazoo.

Musicians can find geeky ways to have fun (what, nobody here has been backstage before a choir performance and killed time with 5 or 6 of us attempting to sing the Beethoven Minuet in G, all a quarter step apart).

Thanks, Frater, always love listening to the 1812.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:17 pm Handel's "Water Music Suites" were commissioned by King George I to be played while George and his guests traveled by barge from Whitehall to Chelsea and back on July 17, 1717. In addition to the royal barge guests, crowds lined the Thames River to hear some of it. It was an immediate hit!

Years later in 1749 King George II commissioned Handel to write music to be played during a royal fireworks display. Another immediate hit!
"Water Music" is lovely, of course, as is most of the Handel canon.

Here's a cover called "Flying off the Handel" performed by my favorite Handel cover band:

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

V! Thank you for telling the story. I couldn't remember exactly who and why the Water Music Suites were commissioned, but I remembered it had something to do with a trip on a river by a king, but couldn't remember the details. But yes, it is just superb travelling music. I actually didn't know the suites were really and truly written to be performed while traveling up and down a river when I had figure out how much I enjoyed listening to them while driving. A friend got into my car one day after I had made an out of town trip and I still had the cassette (the old days) playing and he is the one who first told me he thought the music had actually been written for travelling. Thank you for the reminder of the actual details, V!
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

pjhimself wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:58 pm
Beethoven on a banjo, that's freakin' awesome!
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:16 am Cool! First female Dixieland performer I have ever seen!!!!!!!!! My grandniece is learning the trumpet. She is in middle school. :biggrin:
Find her some Cynthia Robinson to watch. Ms Robinson played with Sly Stone and was outstanding.

Like this:

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

northland10 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:58 pm :snippity:
At an American Guild of Organists regional convention in Kalamazoo, MI, the entertainment at the dinner/business meeting was the collective attendees playing (sort of sight-reading, at least on Kazoo) a Bach Fugue, on kazoos. Kazoos in Kalamazoo.
:snippity:
Gosh, until now I thought that this was the sum total of the musical highlights from Kalamazoo:

Has everybody heard about the bird?
northland10

Post by northland10 »

I've got a gal in Kalamazoo. It's my mommy.

Having been raised in Portage (burb of Kalamazoo) and received by Bachelor of Music for Western Michigan University (in Kalamazoo), I'll ignore the dig at Kalmazoo musicians, probably.

But, if we are going to do a little Glenn Miller and Kazoo, then maybe a group from the town such as Gold Company, the vocal jazz group from Western Michigan University (directed at the time by Steve Zegree, who sadly passed a few years ago). Sadly, no Nicholas Brothers in this one.

I did not sing with them when I was a student. I did not do vocal jazz stuff much back then and the time requirements were huge (instead, University Chorale, among other things).
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Forgot to carry this over from the Oldbow [may Cthulhu rest it's soul] but should I make it to old age, I know the cancer will be eating me alive, but still I will sit on the porch listening to music like this and classical piece, in between yelling at the kids to get off my lawn....

"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

She's got a YouTube channel full of awesome:

northland10

Post by northland10 »

And in case we do not have enough of a Gal in Kalamazoo by musicians in Kalamazoo, here is the Western Michigan University Bronco Marching Band in s some post-game fun.

keith

Post by keith »

That was awesome!

So's this:

northland10

Post by northland10 »

keith

Post by keith »

northland10 wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:30 pm I'll ignore the dig at Kalmazoo musicians, probably.
[/quuote]

I did not mean it as a dig, only an excuse to play a great Glen Miller track. (The WMU Marching Band playing it is just somewhere on the double-plus side of obviousness though).
I did not sing with them when I was a student. I did not do vocal jazz stuff much back then and the time requirements were huge (instead, University Chorale, among other things).
Well, I for one HAVE sung at WMU, I think. Definately in Kalamazoo, and I think the hall was on the campus (was it WM College back then, dunno).
Edit: EDIT: WMC apparently changed to WMU in 1957 or so. I was there in '63 or '64. So it was WMU then.
I was in the "Tucson Arizona Boys Chorus" a million years ago, and we toured the country every year - I did two tours. I am quite certain that we did a concert in Kalamazoo, and maybe South Bend the next night. We then drove south through a giant blizzard to some little town fin Missourri with the bus's suspension frozen and everyone on the bus except me, the driver, and the accompianist sick as dogs (the toilet was frozen too). We were 4 hours late, but the audience waited for us. Enough kids fought off the heaves for us to have one of the best concerts of the tour - standing ovations after each set. The town folks were great.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

keith wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:06 pm I did not mean it as a dig, only an excuse to play a great Glen Miller track.
Oh, I know. It gave me an excuse to dig out the same song from folks in Kalamazoo, because, of course, we all know that song.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’ve got some more water music for y’all. This is one cut, called River Run. (I think this version is a later remix)

In ‘86 my parents went on a river trip through the Grand Canyon with Mark Dubois, founder of Friends of the River, and others. One of the others was a member of the Paul Winter Consort, tasked with recording more canyon nature sounds for their upcoming video, Canyon, which they recorded on the Grand Canyon. Canyon wrens trills are so evocative of the GC. A lot of t was recorded in a side canyon.

In addition to traditional instruments, they drummed on their raft’s thwarts, on the bottoms of bail buckets, on oars and paddles, whatever sounded right to them.

I listen to it on hikes, but best is when I’m on a river trip myself.

Here’s the full album:

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”